Texas republicans officially come out against critical thinking skills

• 5 Replies

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
http://www.tfn.org/site/DocServer/2012-Platform-Final.pdf?docID=3201

Excerpt:

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values
clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based
Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging
the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

Edited: For Title Clarity.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 09:10:20 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

?

Wakka Wakka

• Beat The Hell Outta Spheres!
This along with the disdain for teaching evolution and the revival of religious fervor in textbooks will greatly benefit my state's high schools!
Normally when I'm not sure I just cop a feel.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
At least they're honest.

?

Sean

• Official Member
I am unsure how to react. Laugh? Cry? Rage? Ugh, overwhelmed.
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
"Mr. Worf, villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe
themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged." - J-L. Picard

The Texas GOP is twirling its moustache, the question is, will voters easily spot it?

?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
"Corporal punishment is legal in Texas" and it seems the related quote is inferring a return to this in school and the associated discipline problems. 

Anyway, there are many arguments against OBE. That said, critical thinking skills are irrelevant in the context of actual OBE discussions.
Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.