church

• 40 Replies
church
« on: June 09, 2012, 11:57:21 PM »
Why would one of the largest most powerful governing forces in the world that supports a flat earth allow a round earth conspiracy to exist.

Re: church
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 11:59:49 PM »
My apologies if this belongs in a different section

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 12:43:27 AM »
The Church never supported a flat Earth.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Rushy

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 01:56:31 AM »

This. It is a myth that any religion supported a flat Earth.

Lorddave

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 06:19:39 AM »
Does that mean God thinks the Earth is round?
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 08:08:42 AM »

That depends on which church you are referring to.  Some fundamentalist sects of Christianity and Islam do support the notion of a flat earth.  Not to mention that the religions of many ancient civilizations also believed that the earth is flat.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 08:19:57 AM »

That depends on which church you are referring to.  Some fundamentalist sects of Christianity and Islam do support the notion of a flat earth.  Not to mention that the religions of many ancient civilizations also believed that the earth is flat.

Hey, another day, another meaningless observation from Markjo.  The OP made it very clear which Church he was referring to.

one of the largest most powerful governing forces in the world

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 08:33:24 AM »
The OP made it very clear which Church he was referring to.

one of the largest most powerful governing forces in the world that supports a flat earth

Yes, he did.  To the best of my knowledge, Islam is the largest, most powerful religion that currently supports a flat earth.  Granted, it's generally not referred to as a church, but that's just semantics.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 08:35:54 AM »
The OP made it very clear which Church he was referring to.

one of the largest most powerful governing forces in the world that supports a flat earth

Yes, he did.  To the best of my knowledge, Islam is the largest, most powerful religion that currently supports a flat earth.  Granted, it's generally not referred to as a church, but that's just semantics.

No, it's not.  Stop trying to make a debate where there's none there.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 08:39:05 AM »
Stop trying to make a debate where there's none there.

Why not?  FE'ers do it all the time.

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 08:39:27 AM »
since there is no massive conspiracy, Churches gain nothing.

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 11:36:06 AM »
Why would one of the largest most powerful governing forces in the world that supports a flat earth allow a round earth conspiracy to exist.
Church loves Creation.

The Bigger and mightier the Creation, the better the God.

Which is a bigger, stronger God, one who created just one small flat earth covered with a few blinking dots, or one who created trillions of Galaxies?

What has the Vatican constructed? Cathedrals. How are the Cathedrals? Tall, big, massive. Why? To force you small in comparison to the work of God. You=small, 2 meters. Cathedral, House of God (and it's representatives) 50 meter high.

Who were the enemies of the Church? So called heretics, pagans and specially Manicheans, cathars, bogomils, and so on...
What did they say? That this all, the world, Earth, all matter was evil, and this was hell. That the real world was spiritual and beyond the stars, that this was a bubble of matter of a small demon, Yahweh.

So, if the Church accepts or invents an almost infinite world...the problem ends, the world of God is infinite with trillions of galaxies.

The next generations, instead of asking, what's that blinking dot, what's behind it, they will be sons of Modern Astronomy, there is a even bigger creation of God, a whole pack of galaxies with thousands of Suns and Planets...and maybe even other creatures (this helps modern multiculturalism, race mixing....)

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 04:49:17 PM »
The shape of the Earth is one of the few things which many world religions got right originally - early Islam and Christianity both held that the Earth was flat.  The very notion of Heaven being "above" the Earth demonstrates the correct, zetetic conception of upness, rather than the confused and incoherent globularist conception of upness. Only recently have the religions been corrupted in their ideas about worldshape by globularist propaganda.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 05:00:15 PM »

Although it was very much against the idea that the earth is not special, aka it being a planet just like the others, it not being the center of the solar system, it orbiting a rather unimpressive star, these are all things the church did not like and did some bad things to some people because of.  But in truth is irrelevant.  The church no longer has that kind of power, or sway over public opinion for that matter.  Not to say it has insignificant sway, but it could not convince a majority of humanity that the earth was flat.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 05:50:26 PM »

Although it was very much against the idea that the earth is not special, aka it being a planet just like the others, it not being the center of the solar system, it orbiting a rather unimpressive star, these are all things the church did not like and did some bad things to some people because of.  But in truth is irrelevant.  The church no longer has that kind of power, or sway over public opinion for that matter.  Not to say it has insignificant sway, but it could not convince a majority of humanity that the earth was flat.

Of course not.  It spent centuries convincing humanity that it was round.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 06:06:37 PM »

Of course not.  It spent centuries convincing humanity that it was round.

Of course not what?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 06:06:46 PM »
Although it was very much against the idea that the earth is not special, aka it being a planet just like the others, it not being the center of the solar system, it orbiting a rather unimpressive star, these are all things the church did not like and did some bad things to some people because of.

I'm having difficulty interpreting this sentence.  Could you please rephrase that a bit more clearly?

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 06:37:08 PM »
Although it was very much against the idea that the earth is not special, aka it being a planet just like the others, it not being the center of the solar system, it orbiting a rather unimpressive star, these are all things the church did not like and did some bad things to some people because of.

I'm having difficulty interpreting this sentence.  Could you please rephrase that a bit more clearly?

Sure.  The Catholic Church, while not advocating a Flat Earth, has in the past shown itself to be against certain things that science has advocated.  First and foremost is the scientific conclusion that the earth is not really all that special.  It is a planet among many other planets.  It is not the center of the solar system.  The earth orbits a rather average star. 

Those who have gone against the church and advocated the above have met stiff resistance from the Catholic church in the past.  Galileo is a common example, and while he was arguably asking for it with his often deliberately provocative writings, the church still stepped in. 

But like I said, the church would not step in because at this point and time it does not have the strength or authority to do so.  Its also most likely that they all believe that the earth is round. . .

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 06:45:20 PM »
This entire topic is predicated on a dodgy premise. Is the church really that powerful in any relevant sense?
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 06:57:29 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that, Orbis.  However, was RET among the ideas that the Church tried to suppress?  I'm reminded of that "Myth of the Flat Earth" article from Wikipedia.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2012, 08:57:12 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that, Orbis.  However, was RET among the ideas that the Church tried to suppress?  I'm reminded of that "Myth of the Flat Earth" article from Wikipedia.

No, it was not among those ideas, at least not for an uber-long time and it was most likely just a small sect.  Again as Willmore said it's all a bit dodgy.  And besides, there are far more convincing theories against a NASA conspiracy besides the church's apparent indifference.

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 10:33:53 PM »
I don't know of any modern church that believes in flat earth. I also don't know of any Muslims that believe in flat earth. I mean may be some do but by no means they represent mainstream Islam or Christianity. However religious authorities still teach that that earth is the only planet in the universe with intelligent life, so somehow God created one life sustaining planet, and wasted the rest of infinite space on lifeless rocks spread apart by billions of miles, makes no sense.
JJA voted for Pedro

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 05:33:29 PM »
This entire topic is predicated on a dodgy premise. Is the church really that powerful in any relevant sense?

i think the church or whatever we shall call it does have a great deal of power still in britain.

who else can play really loud tunes on a thursday evening every week and not get an asbo?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 05:38:38 PM »

i think the church or whatever we shall call it does have a great deal of power still in britain.

who else can play really loud tunes on a thursday evening every week and not get an asbo?

I assumed the OP was referring to the Catholic Church.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 05:42:27 PM »

Everyone while the Euros are on?
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 06:32:09 PM »
very true but i hear those bell ringers all year round!  >o<

but seriously i do think the church still has a fair bit of power in this country. most people still swear on the bible in courts for instance. thats just one example, there are many.
i always thought though that if its ok to swear upon the bible that you would be honest in court then wouldnt it be reasonable to blame all your actions on god and get off free? i would just tell them that god told me to do it. they would say im crazy... yet im not the one swearing an oath on a book that is the word of god (obviously i would of swore on the bible to back my claims), but you know what i mean.

prosecutor "you had sexual relations with your sister"

me "it's ok not only does it say in the bible that i can have sexual relations with my sister, god actually gave me the thumbs up too"

prosecutor "fair point good sir, carry on"

WIN

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 08:31:40 PM »
Pleading insanity is an option, yes, but that doesn't really have any connection to swearing with your hand on the Bible.

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 11:24:02 AM »

round not flat

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 11:37:45 AM »
That was a very relevant thing to post.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.