Legalizing Propaganda? (America )

• 20 Replies

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
Legalizing Propaganda? (America )
« on: May 31, 2012, 01:09:43 AM »
http://www.antiwar.com/blog/2012/05/21/ndaa-amendment-would-legalize-war-propaganda/
Btw, this just passed the House.

"The NDAA amendment lifts bans on propaganda that have been around since the 1940s, neutralizing laws put in place to protect the American people from its government’s own “misinformation” campaigns."
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Lorddave

Re: Legalizing Propaganda? (America )
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 03:27:00 AM »
Propoganda is illegal in America?
Then why the hell is Fox still on the air?
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 03:27:59 AM »
This implies that Americans are not subject to American Propaganda, at least they might be more honest about it now.

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 04:15:28 AM »
Here is another article on it.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/disconcerting-and-dangerous-house-passes-amendment-that-allows-govt-backed-propoganda/

Question.  What is the purpose?  Its out there now, we know about it, doesn't propaganda only work when you don't actually know the truth?

Lorddave

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 06:08:47 AM »

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/disconcerting-and-dangerous-house-passes-amendment-that-allows-govt-backed-propoganda/

Question.  What is the purpose?  Its out there now, we know about it, doesn't propaganda only work when you don't actually know the truth?

Just because you think you know what is or isn't correct doesn't mean your mind can't be changed with a constant enough lie.

See "Republican Primaries of 2012" if you doubt the power of propoganda.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Rushy

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 06:11:21 AM »
Just listen to one of Obama's speeches. You can't count the propaganda lies on both hands.

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 06:27:33 AM »
Lying by a candidate (or president for that matter) 1. Is nothing new, and 2. Happens so often no one believes it.   The government as a whole intentionally lying to the governed body(for the greater good I am assuming) is something completely different.  Isn't it?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 06:43:36 AM »
Aren't we already bombarded with war propaganda? Most of the media outlets report on the various wars in ways which make it seem as if it's all entirely justifiable. Then when some truth comes to light, they all report as if they were also hoodwinked, when the truth is they failed to do due diligence, either because they didn't want to lose access to their sources, or they were too lazy.  With the consolidation of media in the US, there is much less incentive for real news, and much more for just entertaining people to keep them tuned in.

This has nothing to do with lying political candidates, imo. They all do that, doesn't matter which party. They're not usually spreading war propaganda when they lie, they're lying to make themselves seem more qualified and their competition less.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 07:11:08 AM »

This is the first time I have read comments on a Blaze article and actually agree with some of them. I hope more people come to realize there really isn't a significant difference between elected Republicans and Democrats.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 02:24:15 PM »
I don't understand what the difference between "propaganda" and simple political speech is.

Lorddave

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 02:40:46 PM »
I don't understand what the difference between "propaganda" and simple political speech is.
It's shorter.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 09:43:14 PM »
-Yes, this has little to do with candidates and individual government officials, and more to do with public records or official statements.
-Yes, this shit is common for America.
-Yes, Fox News is a propaganda machine.

However, this would legalize an existing problem of issuing false governmental reports or statements to the public. It repeals bans laid out in both the Smith-Mundt Act of 1948 and Foreign Relations Authorization Act in 1987, granted the government the legal right to lie to the public while granting them much wider media privileges. To greatly exaggerate, they would be able to legally broadcast that Bin Laden nuked Idaho on your radio just to incite public rage or fear. Seeing as how Bin Laden is dead, and people have easy access and confirmations for checking on Idaho's well being, that kind of lie would never be aired. Point being, a broken system should be fixed, not legally rationalized.

Also, Fox News is different because it is a media outlet (whom happened to win the right to deliberately lie to the public in court), and is allegedly not run by vested government interests.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 09:54:19 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 09:51:09 PM »
Speaking of which, I watched a bit of Obama and Bush Jr. schmoozing together at the portrait unveiling today (weird seeing Dubya smirking and bobbing his head behind a podium again) and Obama praised the great effort that was put into making the transfer of the Presidency "seamless". Mission Accomplished.

What would be the point in alienating an ex-president? George "Dubya" Bush was a terrible president, but sabotaging diplomacy with him after his last term would strike me as unproductive and ultimately childish.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 10:04:10 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »

Rushy

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 09:55:15 PM »
MSNBC, CNN, and FOX news centers all pump out propaganda. I'm not sure why you mention FOX as if it is the only media outlet ever to bias the material it broadcasts.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 10:00:05 PM »
MSNBC, CNN, and FOX news centers all pump out propaganda. I'm not sure why you mention FOX as if it is the only media outlet ever to bias the material it broadcasts.
The mention of Fox was a response to the second post in this thread. However, Fox News was the first and currently by far the worst case example of corrupted propaganda-driven media.
...Like I just mentioned, they set the legal precedent in court for the right to intentionally lie to the public (back when they fired employees for refusing to knowingly air a false story).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 10:02:07 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 10:11:46 PM »
In that case, I'm surprised the government even cared enough to legally rationalize it.  Having a law against something only means anything if the law is enforced.  For example, the fact that torture is illegal means nothing to the government because they refuse to enforce that law.  There's no reason why they couldn't do the same thing here.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 10:27:27 PM »
In that case, I'm surprised the government even cared enough to legally rationalize it.  Having a law against something only means anything if the law is enforced.  For example, the fact that torture is illegal means nothing to the government because they refuse to enforce that law.  There's no reason why they couldn't do the same thing here.
Disturbingly true.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 12:04:17 AM »
What would be the point in alienating an ex-president? George "Dubya" Bush was a terrible president, but sabotaging diplomacy with him after his last term would strike me as unproductive and ultimately childish.

My point was that their administrations are essentially the same...

In what regards though? I didn't see any comparison between them except that they were 'smiling together'.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 02:23:17 AM »

My point was that their administrations are essentially the same...

In what regards though? I didn't see any comparison between them except that they were 'smiling together'.

I was noting the President's appropriate choice of words.

And that was intended to be your supporting case that "their administrations are essentially the same"? Notions of 'smooth' or 'seamless' don't imply a lack of change. I'm assuming you've seen color gradients?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 06:44:56 PM »
I don't think that Singy was necessarily defending Obama's policies so much as criticizing your observations of the portrait unveiling as being ultimately meaningless.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 08:29:54 PM »
But Obama's choice of words had nothing to do with whether or not his policies were different to Bush's, because the event itself had nothing to do with policies.  If you want to criticize Obama for being too similar to Bush, that's fine, but it's pointless to look to an event like this for evidence.  No politician in the world would offer anything other than praise at a portrait unveiling for a former president.  It's not about politics, it's about respect for the office they held.