Antarctica?

• 69 Replies
Antarctica?
« on: May 20, 2012, 02:02:32 PM »
If there is no south pole, and the world is simply surrounded by a wall of ice, what is Antarctica?

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
Re: Antarctica?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 02:39:21 PM »
If there is no south pole, and the world is simply surrounded by a wall of ice, what is Antarctica?

Keep asking them about Antarctica, it screws the hell out of them. They can't answer most questions about it with any semblance of a proper answer.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 02:42:06 PM »

Keep asking them about Antarctica, it screws the hell out of them. They can't answer most questions about it with any semblance of a proper answer.

I'd rather not be perceived as having a hostile attitude towards anyone, regardless of how my perception of the scientific world might differ...

I can't see how the world's government's could cooperate to fake an entire continent. And if that's not the Flat Earth solution to Antarctica, I'm highly curious what is.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 02:44:23 PM »
Antarctica is a separate continent.
It has been fully explored, mapped and people live there.
if an Ice wall exists it is Far beyond Antarctica.
What make the most sense that this "wall" is not a wall at all, but a barrier...
This is where our spherical suns light never shines upon our planar Earth.

Whats is beyond? UnKnown....but Master James has some interesting theories.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 02:50:49 PM »
What make the most sense that this "wall" is not a wall at all, but a barrier...

"Master James" doesn't even pretend to make his posts serious - "I know there are shramps on the moon because I had a dream they were there!!!!!"
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 02:51:37 PM »

I'm afraid I'm having trouble figuring out what the hell you just said. If there is an ice wall, it's beyond Antarctica? The geographic and magnetic south poles have both been proven to be in Antarctica. And what do you mean, not a wall, but a barrier. Are you suggesting some magical, wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey barrier of some metaphysical property?
And what do you mean, our spherical sun's light never shines or planar Earth? A) There are probably less than a thousand people who've been to college and believe the idea that Earth is planar, B) why would Earth be planar while Sol is spherical, and C) What do you mean, sunlight never shines on Earth? That entire thing made no sense.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 02:54:38 PM »

"Master James" doesn't even pretend to make his posts serious - "I know there are shramps on the moon because I had a dream they were there!!!!!"

Naming someone "Master" does not make them masterful at a topic. Any charlatan can call him/herself master of something. You won't find many of them on a Flat Earth forum, unless its master of trolling.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 02:55:10 PM »
That entire thing made no sense.

Welcome to the Flat Earth Society.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 02:57:16 PM »

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 04:42:24 PM »
simple experiment.
in a dark room light a spherical light bulb about 4 ft over a bare floor.
look at the floor, its a wide circle of light.
this is how our sun shines light on our planar earth.
because it is so close, it only can shine roughly half of our suface at a time.
This is what gives the earth appearing to be "round" from space, but really it is just a circle of light.

move your bulb up and down, the circle will get smaller and larger.
if you repar this experiment with a flashlight you will see that the circle is very small and could not light half of the earth at one time, this rules out the sun being a flat disc.

what is beyond this circle of darkness is unknown and some like Master Davis feels it is endless, and being  a Zetetic myself I would have to agree until an "edge" can be found.

Antarctica is not the edge.

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 04:56:49 PM »
simple experiment.
in a dark room light a spherical light bulb about 4 ft over a bare floor.
look at the floor, its a wide circle of light.
this is how our sun shines light on our planar earth.
because it is so close, it only can shine roughly half of our suface at a time.
This is what gives the earth appearing to be "round" from space, but really it is just a circle of light.

move your bulb up and down, the circle will get smaller and larger.
if you repar this experiment with a flashlight you will see that the circle is very small and could not light half of the earth at one time, this rules out the sun being a flat disc.

what is beyond this circle of darkness is unknown and some like Master Davis feels it is endless, and being  a Zetetic myself I would have to agree until an "edge" can be found.

Antarctica is not the edge.

Your entire suggestion is based on the idea that A) a photoelectric filament is similar to a giant fusion reaction, and B) relativity is irrelevant. Might I put forth this: if Earth formed as a plane, why didn't Sol? What could possibly compel a single planet to form as a plane, and everything else as a sphere? After all, a sphere has the lowest surface area to volume ratio, which is what objects in hydrostatic equilibrium tend towards. An object as large as Earth has sufficient gravity to obtain hydrostatic equilibrium.

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 05:26:56 PM »

Your question answers itself - Antarctica is the Ice Wall.

I invite you to read our FAQ and/or wiki before posting again. Perhaps you might also make use of the convenient search function.

In other words, you have never been to Antarctica, and therefore are able to make such a claim.

Thank you for the invitation. I'm not sure why you have extended it.

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 06:22:10 PM »
many have been to Antarctica, and yes, its covered in ice,
but calling it the "ice wall" would be like calling Florida the sand wall.

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 06:26:05 PM »
many have been to Antarctica, and yes, its covered in ice,
but calling it the "ice wall" would be like calling Florida the sand wall.

I agree. The modern Flat Earth Theory, however, apparently, has the peculiar idea that there is no Antarctica, and that the "South pole" is actually a big wall of ice surrounding the outer boundaries of Earth, in of course the idea that Earth is planar.

iWitness

• If the earth is round then what is your problem?
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 06:50:13 PM »
Even Wikipedia says the Geography of Antarctica is 95% Ice Wall and 5% rock.

Instead of the ice wall being a continent at the bottom of a globe it is instead of a wall of ice surrounding the earth. You travel north you reach the giant magnetic mountain at the center of the earth and you travel south and reach the ice wall. North is only north because magnets are attracted to the mountain at the center of the earth.
Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 06:59:14 PM »
Even Wikipedia says the Geography of Antarctica is 95% Ice Wall and 5% rock.

Instead of the ice wall being a continent at the bottom of a globe it is instead of a wall of ice surrounding the earth. You travel north you reach the giant magnetic mountain at the center of the earth and you travel south and reach the ice wall. North is only north because magnets are attracted to the mountain at the center of the earth.

Taking that picture and that information out of context, yes, you could put it like that. However, if Antarctica is just a wall, where do penguins live? There's a lot of landscape. And Antarctica's ice walls are not straight walls, they are overhangs of ice that is carved off by the ocean. Basic oceanography and Earth science.
By the way, there is not a "giant magnetic mountain" in the center of Earth, even by the map the FES uses. If there is no magnetosphere, and no magnetic core, then why is our atmosphere not ionized like that of Mars?

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 07:57:10 AM »

This notice has the potential to enlighten you in that regard.

Is this some kind of warning, eg the suspension of my account is imminent?

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 08:02:58 AM »

No. It is a simple suggestion to help make all of our lives easier.

I apologize if I've committed some sort of misconduct, I was totally unaware of it. I've seen other active users with outright hostile attitudes, which I've disapproved of. Being a Supervisor on a site that, I'm sure, gets similar problems, I understand needing to enforce such things.

iWitness

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 08:39:19 AM »

Taking that picture and that information out of context, yes, you could put it like that. However, if Antarctica is just a wall, where do penguins live? There's a lot of landscape. And Antarctica's ice walls are not straight walls, they are overhangs of ice that is carved off by the ocean. Basic oceanography and Earth science.
By the way, there is not a "giant magnetic mountain" in the center of Earth, even by the map the FES uses. If there is no magnetosphere, and no magnetic core, then why is our atmosphere not ionized like that of Mars?

Have you been to the center of the Earth under the North Star? Then you can't say for sure. Ancient explorers believed their compasses were attracted to a magnetic mountain. Don't you find it odd that Magnets all align with the middle of the earth and the North star?

Have you been to Mars? Then you know nothing about its atmosphere.

And penguins live all over the place, even in zoos. Just because their is an ice wall does not mean their aren't ice islands and other terrain. The point is, the Ice Wall is widely known and studied. The recorded coastline of Antarctica is over 11,000 miles so that's a lot of ice walls. (and it very likely is a lot more than 11,000).
Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 08:44:44 AM »

Have you been to the center of the Earth under the North Star? Then you can't say for sure. Ancient explorers believed their compasses were attracted to a magnetic mountain. Don't you find it odd that Magnets all align with the middle of the earth and the North star?

Have you been to Mars? Then you know nothing about its atmosphere.

And penguins live all over the place, even in zoos. Just because their is an ice wall does not mean their aren't ice islands and other terrain. The point is, the Ice Wall is widely known and studied. The recorded coastline of Antarctica is over 11,000 miles so that's a lot of ice walls. (and it very likely is a lot more than 11,000).

Let me pose some of your own questions to you. Have you ever been to the "center of the world"? Have you seen this magnetic mountain? And anyone with any basic knowledge of electromagnetics would know why compass needles point north, and why magnets magnetize. And no, I have not personally been to Mars, but have a basic knowledge of most of the planets in our system. However, this is not a debate about Mars (I do not know nothing of its atmosphere, however). And true, Antarctica is a place of much study, with several laboratories and such. But it is not some little icy island. I take it you don't do much travelling.

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 08:55:51 AM »

I apologize if I've committed some sort of misconduct, I was totally unaware of it. I've seen other active users with outright hostile attitudes, which I've disapproved of. Being a Supervisor on a site that, I'm sure, gets similar problems, I understand needing to enforce such things.

You're guilty of no real misconduct. We try to encourage new members (particularly Globularists with lots of questions) to do a little background reading before they start new threads in the upper fora. As is detailed in the link I provided, this site has been around for quite a while now and you can probably imagine that the same questions crop up a lot. We appreciate those who seek out these past instances and review the answers given first, thereby saving us unnecessary clutter, time, and effort. The FAQ and wiki have been provided to assist you in such endeavors, and the search function is always there too. Of course, we are happy to address any questions you feel have not been answered sufficiently.

Unfortunately, there is very little information in the Q&A and in the wiki and it is very difficult to find true information behind the banter and the bashing and the fruitless arguments.
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 08:59:53 AM »

You're guilty of no real misconduct. We try to encourage new members (particularly Globularists with lots of questions) to do a little background reading before they start new threads in the upper fora. As is detailed in the link I provided, this site has been around for quite a while now and you can probably imagine that the same questions crop up a lot. We appreciate those who seek out these past instances and review the answers given first, thereby saving us unnecessary clutter, time, and effort. The FAQ and wiki have been provided to assist you in such endeavors, and the search function is always there too. Of course, we are happy to address any questions you feel have not been answered sufficiently.

Ah, thank you for the clarification. I'm familiar with the basics of Flat Earth Theory, but not the most updated version. Also, I did not intend this to be in Q&A, it was originally in the debate section. I can't say I think it should've been moved, but I'm not in charge. Haven't really got a say. So I apologize, if it is unnecessarily repetitive.

iWitness

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 09:05:58 AM »

Let me pose some of your own questions to you. Have you ever been to the "center of the world"? Have you seen this magnetic mountain? And anyone with any basic knowledge of electromagnetics would know why compass needles point north, and why magnets magnetize. And no, I have not personally been to Mars, but have a basic knowledge of most of the planets in our system. However, this is not a debate about Mars (I do not know nothing of its atmosphere, however). And true, Antarctica is a place of much study, with several laboratories and such. But it is not some little icy island. I take it you don't do much travelling.

Ok, why do compass needles point north?  No matter where you are on earth the magnets align to north/south. If the earth were a flat disc and there was a magnetic mountain in the middle that would make sense. If there earth were flat with a Sky Dome then it would make sense that polaris is in the middle and the sky rotates around it.

There are pictures of ice walls, ancient maps with ice walls and people have been believing the earth to be flat for 1000s of years. Everyone knows Antarctica is made up of a bunch of ice walls. Now, why is the earth FLAT?

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 09:20:11 AM »

Ok, why do compass needles point north?  No matter where you are on earth the magnets align to north/south. If the earth were a flat disc and there was a magnetic mountain in the middle that would make sense. If there earth were flat with a Sky Dome then it would make sense that polaris is in the middle and the sky rotates around it.

There are pictures of ice walls, ancient maps with ice walls and people have been believing the earth to be flat for 1000s of years. Everyone knows Antarctica is made up of a bunch of ice walls. Now, why is the earth FLAT?

Compass needles point north because they contain a basic magnet. Earth, like many other planets, has a core that is under immense pressure, made of liquid iron-nickel (temperature about 5700 K). The electrons align to form a giant magnet. The interaction of the comparatively weak magnetic fields of the compass interact with the much stronger magnetic fields of the core, causing the compass to align with the poles. The inner core's intense magnetism is also what protects Earth from intense radiation bursts and electromagnetic storms; without an active core Earth would look a lot more like Mars; barren and desolate.
If Earth were a flat disk with a magnetic mountain in the center it'd have to be one whopping big mountain, made of pure iron or tellurium or something, to have such an influence on magnets.
If Earth were a planet with no "sky dome," that orbits a star, stars that are hundreds of light-years (approximately 434, in Polaris' case) away would appear to move drastically.
Need I remind you that ancient maps also depict Europe, Africa, and Asia as the only continents, and have many cartographic errors. The advantage of modern technology is that it is modern.
True, there are pictures of Antarctica's mountains and coast that have a few ice walls. However, there are also ice walls at the arctic ice cap. That doesn't make Earth's shape that of a CD. There are also many, many pictures and maps of the entire Antarctican landscape, with no edge of the world phenomenon. The pictures to which you're referring, if taken by a reliable source, also indicate that Earth is not a disk or table, but a sphere. Your own sample is evidence for the law that opposes your 'theory.'

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 09:23:50 AM »
Unfortunately, there is very little information in the Q&A and in the wiki and it is very difficult to find true information behind the banter and the bashing and the fruitless arguments.

While that is true in certain cases, questions like that of the OP have straightforward answers and are explicitly stated in both the FAQ and the wiki. There are also countless threads expounding upon it throughout the site. 

Ah, thank you for the clarification. I'm familiar with the basics of Flat Earth Theory, but not the most updated version. Also, I did not intend this to be in Q&A, it was originally in the debate section. I can't say I think it should've been moved, but I'm not in charge. Haven't really got a say. So I apologize, if it is unnecessarily repetitive.

Moderation in the debate forum is fairly stringent. Your thread was moved here because it poses a basic question regarding FET.

I posted it in debate because I imagined it could hardly be answered without discrepancy, discord, and contest. Debate.

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 09:28:43 AM »

While that can be true in certain cases, questions like that of the OP have straightforward answers and are explicitly stated in both the FAQ and the wiki. There are also countless threads expounding upon it throughout the site. 

Frankly, the OP deviates too often and its very difficult to find real info, something to support FET.
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 11:03:39 AM »
Ok, why do compass needles point north?  No matter where you are on earth the magnets align to north/south.
They don't.  They align with the magnetic poles, which are not aligned with the grid/axis poles, and therefore not aligned with the north star.  If you're between grid north and magnetic north, north on your compass would be pointing south away from grid north.
If the earth were a flat disc and there was a magnetic mountain in the middle that would make sense.
A magnetic mountain that moves?   The magnetic poles aren't stationary.  They move over time.

If there earth were flat with a Sky Dome then it would make sense that polaris is in the middle and the sky rotates around it.
I suppose that would make sense if it was flat, but how do you explain what is observed south of the equator, which is a faint star closely aligned with grid south that the other stars spin around.  Just like the northern night sky.

You mean the old maps with inacurate coastlines, missing continents, etc.  How long is the Antarctic coastline?  About 17,000km.  How does that wrap around N. America, S. America, Africa, Australia, Asia, and the oceans?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 11:31:11 AM »
I posted it in debate because I imagined it could hardly be answered without discrepancy, discord, and contest. Debate.

Yes, but if you read the board-specific rules of Flat Earth Debate, you'll find the potential for debate (which exists in any thread, and is usually realised in most threads in FE Q&A) is not the sole criteria that must be satisfied for a thread to belong in that board. Basic questions go in FE Q&A, as per the board specific guidelines. I'm just explaining this, not giving you a lecture.

Anyway, let's get back to answering your questions about Antarctica.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 11:43:24 AM »
Thank you very much.

So, about the Antarctican coast: the coastline is estimated at 17,968 kilometers. According to Flat Earth Theory, Earth is flat. Its radius, no matter what science you prescribe to, is approximately 6,374.5 km. This would mean that, if Antarctica is somehow the ice walls the FET sometimes claims it to be, Antarctica's 17,968 km coast has to stretch across a 40,052.165 km disk that is supposedly Earth. How does that work?

?

Robbyj

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 10:23:05 PM »
the coastline is estimated at 17,968 kilometers

In other words, you have never been to Antarctica, and therefore are able to make such a claim.
Why justify an illegitimate attack with a legitimate response?