120 seconds to wait to report

• 3 Replies
?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
120 seconds to wait to report
« on: May 09, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
Why must we wait 120 seconds between each report we make? Granted, I am not making them very regularly, but it is annoying when you keep clicking on 'new replies' only to find you are following a spammer around and really just reading the same posts he keeps putting up.

Now to me, it also sounds a little silly if there were few moderators online or, as now, many online but few stopping the problem. I could easily create an account and post thousands of spam posts in a matter of minutes all the while infuriating non mods who have to keep sifting through it all, as they can only report a LOT slower than I can post my spam. (Not that I would do this, I am just trying to expose the situation).

Can this be fixed so report times are less? Or can we get better mods?
Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
Re: 120 seconds to wait to report
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 06:21:46 AM »
Why must we wait 120 seconds between each report we make? Granted, I am not making them very regularly, but it is annoying when you keep clicking on 'new replies' only to find you are following a spammer around and really just reading the same posts he keeps putting up.

Now to me, it also sounds a little silly if there were few moderators online or, as now, many online but few stopping the problem. I could easily create an account and post thousands of spam posts in a matter of minutes all the while infuriating non mods who have to keep sifting through it all, as they can only report a LOT slower than I can post my spam. (Not that I would do this, I am just trying to expose the situation).

Can this be fixed so report times are less? Or can we get better mods?
We can deal with the posts by user.  When you make your single report just mention that hes causing issues and hopefully whoever deals with it will look at the post history of the user.  If other admins/mods/techteam think its a good idea I'll implement a different mechanic for report spam.  Imagine if that same user instead of posting a bunch of crap wrote a script to report every post on the forums.  We'd have an inbox with hundreds of thousands of reports and likely our server would be blocked by some isps for spam.
Quantum Ab Hoc

?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 06:26:50 AM »
Thanks John. I knew there would be more to this than I had considered.

A bit of an angry rant really, but I'm all calm now.
Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 08:36:16 AM »
Anytime, and its understandable.  Up until I was an admin I was constantly annoying by some of  those warnings which show up in what appear as random areas at first.

I'm still up for adding this to the tech list if someone can think up a better solution. I'm going to throw this in the tech forums now.
Quantum Ab Hoc