How did FET predict the super moon?

• 19 Replies
How did FET predict the super moon?
« on: May 10, 2012, 12:10:55 PM »
I am a newcomer, so apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere.  I read through some of the moon threads, but I didn't see this issue come up.

My question is this: If all of the predictions of the super moon are generated by proponents of a round earth and their physical theories, why do flat earth theorists treat the prediction as true?  Does FET make its own predictions about the timing of super moons?
Also, the people on your websites are specifically framing their claims, not to learn the truth of the matter, but because they want to "debunk" Apollo Hoax claims --

Re: How did FET predict the super moon?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 12:13:52 PM »
The supermoon was predicted via careful observation and direct sensory evidence of course.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:15:55 PM by Kendrick »

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 12:32:31 PM »
Unfortunately, as these relatively simple calculations show, the super moon was indistinguishable to us from a moon not at perigee without instruments to measure apparent size:

I recently had a post on calculating the size of the Sun in the sky where I showed how to derive a formula for calculating how large an astronomical body appears in the sky.  Works for the Moon as well as the Sun.  The formula is:

d = 2 tan-1 [(D/2)/d]

where D is the diameter of the Moon, d is the distance from the Earth to the Moon, and delta (d) is the angular size of the Moon in the sky.  The mean diameter of the Moon is 3,476 km.  The distances are listed above.  Let's calculate the difference in the "super" Moon's angular diameter versus last month's Moon.

"Super" Moon:

d = 2 tan-1 [(D/2)/d] = 2 tan-1 [(3,476 km/2)/356,953 km] =0.558°

"Regular" Moon:

d = 2 tan-1 [(D/2)/d] = 2 tan-1 [(3,476 km/2)/358,313 km] = 0.556°

Without a community of scientists reporting on their predictions and findings (all based on a spherical Earth), I find it hard to believe that anyone in the flat Earth community would have known/noticed.  But, perhaps I am wrong.  This is why I am curious to know if anyone in the FET community made similar predictions about the moon's apparent size during the super moon and how they made those predictions.
Also, the people on your websites are specifically framing their claims, not to learn the truth of the matter, but because they want to "debunk" Apollo Hoax claims --

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 11:21:44 AM »
It's really a shame they went through all that effort, as long as you adequately protect yourself the tasks of observing, recording and predicting the behavior of the moon just really arent that important. 

We all have much more important things to occupy ourselves with then pointless speculation.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 09:51:30 PM »
I am a newcomer, so apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere.  I read through some of the moon threads, but I didn't see this issue come up.

My question is this: If all of the predictions of the super moon are generated by proponents of a round earth and their physical theories, why do flat earth theorists treat the prediction as true?  Does FET make its own predictions about the timing of super moons?

FET is unable to make any sort of mathematical prediction whatsoever.

FET is not based on mathematics or science, it is more like a faith based belief system. Where you believe in their claims regardless of available evidence.

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 10:09:19 PM »
It's really a shame they went through all that effort, as long as you adequately protect yourself the tasks of observing, recording and predicting the behavior of the moon just really arent that important. 

We all have much more important things to occupy ourselves with then pointless speculation.

There are a number of threads on this forum where a number of FETs most vocal proponents are warning others of the dangers of a supermoon.  They didn't make the predictions about the timing of the supermoon; proponents of a round Earth made them.  I'm curious to know why FET advocates take them seriously if they don't believe in the framework that makes those predictions.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
I usually notice an increase in nasal congestion and gastronomical acidity.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 12:58:11 PM »
I myself notice an increased desire to drink Absinthe and write letters to a former paramour.

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 01:14:13 PM »
Still no science from FE'ers.
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 04:44:16 PM »

Okay, for the last time: we reject the scientific method. We endorse the Zetetic Method. Constantly bleating "STILL NO SCIENTISM FROM YOU GUYS HUH???!!!" is stupid. It's like asking a Muslim to back up his beliefs using the Bible. You're ignoring the fundamental dispute.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 06:20:15 PM »
I'm really more of a neo-transcendentalist than a Zetetic. Just sayin'.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 06:33:14 PM »
Sorry, have no idea of it.

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 07:28:23 PM »

Okay, for the last time: we reject the scientific method. We endorse the Zetetic Method.

Translation: "it doesn't matter if every other person on the planet does an experiment that proves earth is [X shape], I won't believe it unless I do it myself. Oh, unless Rowbotham does it, in which case I do believe it."
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 07:29:25 PM »

If I hadn't already got such a brilliant quote from John Davis in my sig, I'd sig this.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 08:48:40 PM »

Okay, for the last time: we reject the scientific method. We endorse the Zetetic Method.

Translation: "it doesn't matter if every other person on the planet does an experiment that proves earth is [X shape], I won't believe it unless I do it myself. Oh, unless Rowbotham does it, in which case I do believe it."

We have just been discussing this issue in another thread, and it is dishonest of you to present my position in the way you do above.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 09:11:29 PM »

We have just been discussing this issue in another thread, and it is dishonest of you to present my position in the way you do above.

It is not dishonest, it is my genuine belief that it is your position.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 08:22:44 AM »
But I have explicitly said otherwise. So on what basis do you have this belief?

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 10:06:06 AM »

Zetetic observation of your post content, and the post content of others. You have the massive hubris problem of assuming that every reference to zeteticism applies just to your posts. Also, zeteticism allows for acceptance that someone's accounts may be false, and it is my belief that you "explicitly saying otherwise" falls into this category. Further enlightenment will be forthcoming in my all-encompassing meisterwerk "Discard Of The Zetetic Method", a 300 page tome that I will publish tidbits from in this forum shortly.

Sphere

• Earth is ROUND
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 10:55:11 AM »
I usually notice an increase in nasal congestion and gastronomical acidity.
Huh, that's weird. Last night I had a cold, and heartburn at the same time. Tsk. Must be that darn moon.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 06:57:18 AM »

Zetetic observation of your post content, and the post content of others. You have the massive hubris problem of assuming that every reference to zeteticism applies just to your posts. Also, zeteticism allows for acceptance that someone's accounts may be false, and it is my belief that you "explicitly saying otherwise" falls into this category. Further enlightenment will be forthcoming in my all-encompassing meisterwerk "Discard Of The Zetetic Method", a 300 page tome that I will publish tidbits from in this forum shortly.

Ah, nothing. I see. Kindly shut up.

Huh, that's weird. Last night I had a cold, and heartburn at the same time. Tsk. Must be that darn moon.

Quite possibly.