Moonlight: Dangers & Precautions

• 690 Replies

ausGeoff

Re: Moonlight: Dangers & Precautions
« Reply #270 on: March 05, 2015, 10:02:38 AM »
Maybe you should actually start from the first post in this thread.  You act like you just came up with an original question that nobody has ever thought to ask in all of the years that this thread has been active.

You mean all that nonsense about werewolves etc?  Seriously?

Rather than wasting your time with your typically snide little one-liners jroa, did it ever occur to you to maybe—just maybe—address my question?  You know... give a legitimate answer to a legitimate question for once.

Or is it that you're unable to answer my questions about moonlight's harmful effects?  Hmmm...

Arith

« Reply #271 on: March 06, 2015, 03:51:44 AM »
Arith has acquired lunacy and does not even know it.  Play with fire (moon) and you are going to get burnt.

Heh yeah, those moon shrimp can really do a number on you.

« Reply #272 on: March 28, 2015, 10:23:28 AM »
I'm sorry, but the site you linked us to also has a vast number of disclaimers to go along with this hysteria.

"A meta-analysis of thirty-seven studies that examined relationships between the moon's four phases and human behavior revealed no significant correlation. The authors found that, of twenty-three studies that had claimed to show correlation, nearly half contained at least one statistical error.[1][3] Similarly, in a review of twenty studies examining correlations between Moon phase and suicides, most of the twenty studies found no correlation, and the ones that did report positive results were inconsistent with each other.[3]"

This is a quote from the site, but there are also numerous other disclaimers that there is in fact no correlation to the claimed fears of the moon and actual events.

I just hope you have a good life. Life in fear is life without joy.

ausGeoff

« Reply #273 on: March 28, 2015, 05:21:48 PM »
What's so funny about this "dangers" of moonlight thread is that the flat earthers can't seem to comprehend the simple grade-school science that says that so-called moonlight is nothing more than reflected light from the sun.  They seem to regard the moon with the same ill-educated awe that 14th century peasants did, as though its reflected light has some powerful, mystical properties uniquely its own.

Although... I've often wondered if this entire thread is simply an in-joke in order to test the limit's of peoples clear thinking abilities or powers of logic—post something so utterly outrageous that even a trained baboon would reject it—and then sit back and watch the serious and unnecessarily involved attempts mounted to shoot it down.

Recently, one of the brighter stars [sic] of the flat earth movement, JRoweSkeptic, actually said that "Logic is all that is needed. Empirical evidence means nothing without logic."  I know this sounds unbelievably naive to any person involved or interested in the sciences, but as the guy has repeated "this logic outweighs evidence" mantra several times elsewhere on these forums, I think he actually believes it LOL.

When I asked JRoweSkeptic the following:  "what then, in your personal opinion, makes moonlight dangerous?  What are the potential negative effects on the human body, and how do they manifest themselves?  What sorts of treatment would a medical practitioner utilise to heal these ill-effects?" the ever-protective mother hen of flat earth proponents, jroa, was embarrassingly quick in leaping to the defence of the deluded JRoweSkeptic, and admonish me for allegedly not reading the thread in its entirety (which I had of course—I always do).  Due to his  haste, jroa apparently thought I'd merely asked a question that had already been addressed numerous times previously;  what he failed to notice was that it was a question directed specifically at JRoweSkeptic.  (As per my bolding above.)

Of course, other than giving me a slap on the wrist for having the temerity to ask a flat earther a perfectly legitimate question—considering the nature of the thread—jroa was not forthcoming with any relevant, on-topic response of his own.  Which is his usual modus operandi—forever the playground bully but never the teacher.

It's also of note that JRoweSkeptic never returned to elaborate on his claims about the "harmful" effects of moonlight.  He obviously realised that he'd made somewhat of a fool of himself by jumping into the debate with insufficient prior knowledge of the topic, but this withdrawal from his often ludicrous assertions and misrepresentations of fact is not unusual across these forums.

"Spooky effects have been ascribed to the phases of the moon.... But when the statistics are redone properly, the correlation with lunar phase always evaporates.... Yet many sensible people—including police officers and emergency room staff—continue to believe otherwise."

—Steven Strogatz PhD  (Schurman Professor of applied mathematics at US Cornell University)

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #274 on: March 28, 2015, 06:04:32 PM »
  They seem to regard the moon with the same ill-educated awe that 14th century peasants did, as though its reflected light has some powerful, mystical properties uniquely its own.

Can't see nothing bad about this awe - as long as you don't try to make a science off it.

ausGeoff

« Reply #275 on: March 28, 2015, 08:57:29 PM »
  They seem to regard the moon with the same ill-educated awe that 14th century peasants did, as though its reflected light has some powerful, mystical properties uniquely its own.

Can't see nothing bad about this awe - as long as you don't try to make a science off it.

Unfortunate, for many flat earthers, it seems they do make "science" out of it.  Or, as we say in the real world, pseudoscience.

« Reply #276 on: April 03, 2015, 02:57:44 AM »
I saw someone mention that we can't afford to take measurements because it would make them poor by a few thousand dollars.  A simple glass prism for around $5 and a piece of black paper will tell you in a few minutes that the light spectrum (frequencies, wavelengths) of sunlight and moon light are very similar, except for some of the energy is absorbed by the lunar surface.  That's how they guessed what the moon was made of before they got there.  Same way that we try to figure out which Kepler planets have water... just a bit fancier equipment than the above.

A $2 flashlight and a pair of balls (tennis, golf, softball, hardball, etc) and a few hand-sketched diagrams would disprove many of the FE assertions, if those have the determination to want to prove it to themselves.

A rocket can be made for 100-200$ that will go up to the top of the atmosphere, with a video camera.  Many amateurs have already done this, and posted their videos.  See one random example (more expensive example but cool video) " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

I DO use a 50% grey filter when observing the moon in a telescope, because the dark-adapted eye at night mildly freaks out when the light level goes from 0.001 lux of a dark overcast moonless night, to 1 lux full moonlight (compared to up to 100 k lux for sunlight).  This happens just as easily on a sunny day going from inside to outside.  Another reason for the filter is that my telescope makes my 1/8 inch eyeball opening into a 12" one, turning moonlight into sunlight.  See more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux

There are many newly found effects that occur in the upper atmosphere / ionosphere / earths magnetic field, as well as known very subtle shifts in gravity caused by lunar orbit.  Whats strange is that animals seem to be aware of it.  (Look up Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers or SARA website for do-it-yourself ideas).  I don't know that we have any proper understanding of these fields on the brain, mostly since there aren't matching known frequency sensitivities (ie light vs electrical vs magnetic vs gravitational) with the brain.  BTW the brain is already optically opaque, so I am not sure how moonlight can affect the brain above and beyond the optical sensitivity of the skin (mostly to infrared and ultraviolet as heat and dangerous biological energy) and the eyes (super-narrow band of visible light frequencies ony).  The moon emits so little infrared (its cold light), and almost no UV.  If anything, the human nervous system is known to be sensitive to the near-field electrical effects (ie inch(s)) - I can speak on this because I am a patent co-holder on the TENS chronic pain easing device.  I don't know about any electromagnetic field (light, etc) that has any other impact.

Apparently Hitler did experiments of intense E and M fields impact on humans, found that his electrical bill was crazy, and didn't find much.  Fields strong enough to crumple the tin hat.  I didn't research this, but remember this from a documentary a long time ago.

Last week I got to look at the massive beam focussing and acceleration facilities at Stanford (SLAC).  Those guys can tell you stories about all the fun energies they play with, and the hundreds of experiments they did.  I wish I had the time to absorb it all.

BTW infrared is also detectable by common cell phone and pocket cameras. Take a cellphone photo of a security camera with a halo of IR lights around it.  These photos are not as good as the ones the military uses, cause we need to keep peoples warm boobs from showing through their clothing, so the cameras have built-in IR block filters.  These can be removed in many cameras, like my 40D, which allows use to take pictures like www.deepskycolors.com - all the pink colors in the photos are mixed from IR-only images taken by expensive IR cameras, by a neighbor friend of mine.  His first photos were taken with a 40D as well.  I also have nice sets of lunar eclipse photos taken with telescope, as well as a few of Venus whipping across the sun, surrounded by a few sunspots.  If you ask, I will take the time to post them.

Another thought, why would plants not take advantage of moonlight and harness the energy just as they have done with sunlight?  We now understand that plants' light energy absorption to be a chemical reaction that is so sophisticated that we can't easily recreate it ourselves.  I would postulate, because the only energy coming from the moon isn't worth bothering with because its too weak.  You are with me on the theory that plants have spent many millions of years evolving and without them all animals and most bacteria would die of starvation?

Anyways, its late, will continue another day.  I am happy to share hand-measurable details and methods with anyone who wishes to ask/discuss.  I am a detailed oriented person, and if you feel uncomfortable with what I say, I can leave.  But you know what that would mean...

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #277 on: April 03, 2015, 04:07:52 AM »
A flashlight shone through a prism will also give similar results to either sunlight or moonlight.  Does that mean the effects of the flashlight shining on the skin are exactly the same as standing in sunlight with unprotected skin?  I think not. 

ausGeoff

« Reply #278 on: April 03, 2015, 05:23:55 AM »
A flashlight shone through a prism will also give similar results to either sunlight or moonlight.  Does that mean the effects of the flashlight shining on the skin are exactly the same as standing in sunlight with unprotected skin?  I think not.

If it's an LED flashlight it won't.  Totally different wavelength spread to sunlight.  Sorry to bring actual science  into the argument.       :P

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #279 on: April 03, 2015, 05:38:57 AM »

If it's an LED flashlight it won't.  Totally different wavelength spread to sunlight.  Sorry to bring actual science  into the argument.       :P

LEDs and LED arrays can produce white light as well. 

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #280 on: April 08, 2015, 08:47:27 AM »

Actually, LEDs can produce an approximation of white light that your eye will consider to be "close enough".  Proper spectral analysis will produce a very different story.

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/lightandcolor/lightsourcesintro.html
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:49:05 AM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

ausGeoff

« Reply #281 on: April 13, 2015, 09:55:28 AM »

Actually, LEDs can produce an approximation of white light that your eye will consider to be "close enough".  Proper spectral analysis will produce a very different story.

Please don't further confuse the flat earthers such as jroa by introducing empirical scientific evidence into the debate.  At any rate, I'm more than sure that jroa instructs his family to never shine any LED flashlight in his direction.

Just in case LOL.

The Ellimist

• "Let us play a game, Crayak."
« Reply #282 on: April 13, 2015, 03:54:49 PM »
Apparently Hitler did experiments of intense E and M fields impact on humans, found that his electrical bill was crazy, and didn't find much.

His gas bill was even crazier.
Additionally, we cannot entirely rule out the nefarious effects of demons, spirits, gnomes, and wizards on our society's ability to comprehend our flat earth as it really is. 

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #283 on: April 13, 2015, 04:43:52 PM »
Maybe you should actually start from the first post in this thread.  You act like you just came up with an original question that nobody has ever thought to ask in all of the years that this thread has been active.

You mean all that nonsense about werewolves etc?  Seriously?

Rather than wasting your time with your typically snide little one-liners jroa, did it ever occur to you to maybe—just maybe—address my question?  You know... give a legitimate answer to a legitimate question for once.

Or is it that you're unable to answer my questions about moonlight's harmful effects?  Hmmm...

ausGeoff There is a song in "Man Of La Mancha"....."To dream the impossible dream"...Hmmm
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 04:45:46 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #284 on: April 13, 2015, 04:53:05 PM »

Please don't further confuse the flat earthers such as jroa by introducing empirical scientific evidence into the debate.  At any rate, I'm more than sure that jroa instructs his family to never shine any LED flashlight in his direction.

Just in case LOL.

jroa shouldn't go driving or  walking by the highway at night either. Some cars, including the Toyota Corolla have LED headlights. Just in case also. LOL.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:03:33 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #285 on: April 13, 2015, 05:55:06 PM »
Arith has acquired lunacy and does not even know it.  Play with fire (moon) and you are going to get burnt.

I believe there is something in Samuel Birley Rowbotham's "Earth Not A Globe" (ENAG) which states that moonlight supports combustion while sunlight suppresses combustion .
Is this what you mean, jroa ?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:57:43 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

« Reply #286 on: April 24, 2015, 01:00:07 PM »
I believe there is something in Samuel Birley Rowbotham's "Earth Not A Globe" (ENAG) which states that moonlight supports combustion while sunlight suppresses combustion.

This is correct.  I have taken the time to check out ENaG at some length(!), and quote the following passage from that document:

"It is a well known fact, that if the sun is allowed to shine strongly upon a common coal, coke, wood, or charcoal fire, the combustion is greatly diminished; and often the fire is extinguished.  It is not an uncommon thing for cooks, housewives, and others to draw down the blinds in summer time to prevent their fires being put out by the continued stream of sun-light pouring through the windows. Many philosophers have recently attempted to deny and ridicule this fact, but they are met, not only by the common sense and every-day experience of very practical people, but by the results of specially instituted experiments.

It is not so well known perhaps, but it is an equally decided fact, that when the light of the moon is allowed to play upon a common carbonaceous fire, the action is increased, the fire burns more vividly, and the fuel is more rapidly consumed."

I would appreciate a flat earther clarifying this for me, as it would seem to be counter-intuitive, because ENaG also claims sunlight is warm whilst moonlight is cool.  Is this not a contradiction?  Could any flat earther please provide me a simple experiment that proves these claims about sunlight and moonlight?  TIA.
There's something in this forum that makes you can't speak well...

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #287 on: April 24, 2015, 06:29:44 PM »
I believe there is something in Samuel Birley Rowbotham's "Earth Not A Globe" (ENAG) which states that moonlight supports combustion while sunlight suppresses combustion.

This is correct.  I have taken the time to check out ENaG at some length(!), and quote the following passage from that document:

"It is a well known fact, that if the sun is allowed to shine strongly upon a common coal, coke, wood, or charcoal fire, the combustion is greatly diminished; and often the fire is extinguished.  It is not an uncommon thing for cooks, housewives, and others to draw down the blinds in summer time to prevent their fires being put out by the continued stream of sun-light pouring through the windows. Many philosophers have recently attempted to deny and ridicule this fact, but they are met, not only by the common sense and every-day experience of very practical people, but by the results of specially instituted experiments.

It is not so well known perhaps, but it is an equally decided fact, that when the light of the moon is allowed to play upon a common carbonaceous fire, the action is increased, the fire burns more vividly, and the fuel is more rapidly consumed."

I would appreciate a flat earther clarifying this for me, as it would seem to be counter-intuitive, because ENaG also claims sunlight is warm whilst moonlight is cool.  Is this not a contradiction?  Could any flat earther please provide me a simple experiment that proves these claims about sunlight and moonlight?  TIA.

That was exactly what I have wondered about, too.  ::) ???

There is also something in ENAG which states that while directing a beam of sunlight on a thermometer will increase the temperature while directing a beam of  moonlight on a thermometer will decrease the temperature.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:34:43 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

ausGeoff

« Reply #288 on: May 11, 2015, 06:59:11 AM »
There is also something in ENAG which states that while directing a beam of sunlight on a thermometer will increase the temperature while directing a beam of  moonlight on a thermometer will decrease the temperature.

It's also embarrassingly obvious that—after a month—the flat earthers can't support this claim with any viable scientific evidence.  Like most of their FEW, Rowbotham's meanderings are accepted at face value with zero attempts at justifying them.  And like when most of the harder round earth questions are asked, they all go very, very quiet, and conveniently disappear.

So... has any flat earther got the cojones to address this scenario?

« Reply #289 on: May 16, 2015, 03:01:43 AM »
I note that no flat earther has attempted to clarify the question I raised three weeks ago:
I would appreciate a flat earther clarifying this for me, as it would seem to be counter-intuitive, because ENaG also claims sunlight is warm whilst moonlight is cool.  Is this not a contradiction?  Could any flat earther please provide me a simple experiment that proves these claims about sunlight and moonlight?

I can only guess that once again, all the flat earthers shy away from addressing any legitimate round earther questions that cut too close to the bone, or require actual science to explain.  Point up any contradictions in their Flat Earth Wiki, and they all run away like startled field mice.  It is quite funny actually.
There's something in this forum that makes you can't speak well...

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #290 on: June 01, 2015, 04:25:34 PM »
The full strawberry moon is tomorrow evening.  There has been chatter warning people of potential side effects from this one.         

« Reply #291 on: June 01, 2015, 07:51:44 PM »
The full strawberry moon is tomorrow evening.  There has been chatter warning people of potential side effects from this one.       

This one always scares me. If I eat strawberries during a strawberry moon, I turn into Strawberry Shortcake. Thanks for the warning.

« Reply #292 on: June 01, 2015, 09:04:57 PM »

What symptoms should we be looking for?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #293 on: June 02, 2015, 02:52:25 AM »
Physical and/or emotional changes. Those who experience the changes will know the specifics.

« Reply #294 on: June 02, 2015, 09:28:59 AM »

What symptoms should we be looking for?
Physical and/or emotional changes.

Well, that narrows it down.

How much exposure is safe? Is window glass sufficient protection? Is cloth?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #295 on: June 02, 2015, 02:51:22 PM »
I agree. More funding is needed to determine safety thresholds. 

« Reply #296 on: June 03, 2015, 01:59:15 PM »
So.... did anyone experience repercussions of the Strawberry Moon?

Arith

« Reply #297 on: June 03, 2015, 04:52:19 PM »
I've been sleeping under the moon for nearly a year solid now.
No effects whatsoever.

« Reply #298 on: June 03, 2015, 09:13:46 PM »
I was out in shorts and T-shirt under the Strawberry Moon last night, and not even a mild rash or stubbed toe. My wife didn't mention that I was any more insane than I usually am, and she usually notices these sorts of things and doesn't mind commenting on them.

I wish I knew what I was supposed to be watching out for, but the answer was a rather vague "stuff, and things and stuff", so not much help from the "experts".

« Reply #299 on: June 03, 2015, 10:05:02 PM »
Wellll I looked it up and came up with nothing, unless you're a witch. So there's that...