Moonlight: Dangers & Precautions

• 690 Replies

Arith

Re: Moonlight: Dangers & Precautions
« Reply #180 on: September 10, 2014, 09:34:59 AM »
If I told you that I've smoked cigarettes for two weeks now and I'm fine, would you think that I can smoke cigarettes for the rest of my life with no harmful side effects?
Well, using the logic I've seen countless times on these boards, that would count as irrefutable evidence.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #181 on: September 10, 2014, 10:34:14 AM »
This thread is indeed one of the more thought provoking threads on the fora.*

But....Which is the more dangerous.:
1. The moon appears larger when it first rises on the horizon. Is this some form of reverse perspective in the flat earth theory of perspective ? Is the moon more or less dangerous depending on size ?
2.The moon often appears an orange-ish color when it first rises or sets on the horizon.
Which is the most dangerous ?: The orange colored moon at moonrise, the white colored moon when it is directly overhead or the "once in a blue moon" colored moon ?

I await the answers and explanation of the above, being admittedly ignorant of flat earth theories on these and other flat earth theories.

* From viewers like us. Thank you .
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

ausGeoff

« Reply #182 on: September 10, 2014, 07:22:02 PM »
If I told you that I've smoked cigarettes for two weeks now and I'm fine, would you think that I can smoke cigarettes for the rest of my life with no harmful side effects?

Your assumption that you're "fine" (health-wise) is demonstrably incorrect—apart from being a fallacious analogy.

Even two weeks of smoking cigarettes has some negative effect on thousands of alveoli that line your lungs, and also your respiratory cilia.

Can you please cite some references to research that shows "moonlight" is a health hazard?  Or, can you explain exactly why photons reflected to earth from the moon's surface are potentially dangerous—considering that these are identical (obviously) to the photons released by the sun.  What changes their nature to cause them to be hazardous?

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #183 on: September 11, 2014, 08:47:13 AM »

Your assumption that you're "fine" (health-wise) is demonstrably incorrect—apart from being a fallacious analogy.

Even two weeks of smoking cigarettes has some negative effect on thousands of alveoli that line your lungs, and also your respiratory cilia.

Can you please cite some references to research that shows "moonlight" is a health hazard?  Or, can you explain exactly why photons reflected to earth from the moon's surface are potentially dangerous—considering that these are identical (obviously) to the photons released by the sun.  What changes their nature to cause them to be hazardous?

Gladly:

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=42960.msg1064383#msg1064383

Arith

« Reply #184 on: September 11, 2014, 09:39:46 AM »
Citation please. I tried to search for this study. I figured "341 day study institute of neurology UCL moonlight seizure" was a good term to search with. Got some narrow results, most of the pages containing nothing. The top result? THAT LINK.

Proof please.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #185 on: September 11, 2014, 11:58:48 AM »
Citation please. I tried to search for this study. I figured "341 day study institute of neurology UCL moonlight seizure" was a good term to search with. Got some narrow results, most of the pages containing nothing. The top result? THAT LINK.

Proof please.

Seriously?  The citations are in the link.  Use your eyeballs and a world of knowledge will flatten before you.

« Reply #186 on: September 11, 2014, 12:30:14 PM »
Um... does this mean that sunlight reflected off Venus is dangerous too?

OHOH, or sunlight reflected off the surface of the Earth! It must be dangerous too!

Arith

« Reply #187 on: September 11, 2014, 01:24:06 PM »
Seriously?  The citations are in the link.  Use your eyeballs and a world of knowledge will flatten before you.
What, that paywalled article whose abstract is dealing with epilepsy and light reflected by the moon?
You're right, and for 39.99 I can find out how you're right!

By the way, the abstract goes against your flat earth sensibilities:
We found a significant negative correlation between the mean number of seizures and the fraction of the moon illuminated by the sun
So, the moon DOES reflect sunlight? What about those moon shrimp and moon fungus I keep hearing about?  I thought the sun and moon acted more like heat lamps, warming a nice pie. Custard pie.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:36:36 PM by Arith »

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »
The article is saying that the light from the moon lighting up the night sky can possibly cause seizures in epilepsy sufferers. It does not say that the light is dangerous. Pongo is taking it out of context which is usual for fe'ers.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

ausGeoff

« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2014, 09:24:23 AM »

Gladly:

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=42960.msg1064383#msg1064383

Your link proves nothing whatsoever.  It's like saying that steam from a kettle can scald you.  Things injurious to human health only apply under a narrow band of possibility.

At the very least, I'm pleased to see that you're now accepting that "moonlight" is nothing other than reflected sunlight.  Some of your peers claim that the moon possesses its own luminance LOL.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #190 on: September 12, 2014, 11:48:07 AM »
Rowbotham had some curious ideas about moonlight and sunlight. (You could hardly call them them theories or maybe even hypotheses !)

According to him sunlight would put out a fire while moonlight would support it.

Chorus:

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #191 on: October 07, 2014, 12:09:26 PM »

Lunar eclipse early Oct 8th. Also this one is called a "selenelion".

http://www.space.com/27338-total-lunar-eclipse-rare-sunrise-selenelion.html

On Oct. 8, Interested skywatchers should attempt to see the total eclipse of the moon and the rising sun simultaneously. The little-used name for this effect is called a "selenelion," a phenomenon that celestial geometry says cannot happen.

And indeed, during a lunar eclipse, the sun and moon are exactly 180 degrees apart in the sky. In a perfect alignment like this (called a "syzygy"), such an observation would seem impossible. But thanks to Earth's atmosphere, the images of both the sun and moon are apparently lifted above the horizon by atmospheric refraction. This allows people on Earth to see the sun for several extra minutes before it actually has risen and the moon for several extra minutes after it has actually set.

Sounds like something the CONSPIRACY would say  >:(
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #192 on: October 07, 2014, 04:27:08 PM »
Sounds like something the CONSPIRACY would say  >:(

Why would "the CONSPIRACY" say this? What's in it for them?

What is you think "they" are saying, anyway? Do you think this eclipse isn't going to happen as predicted? It's easy enough to check if you live in North America. Even if you can't see it (unfavorable location, clouds) or won't see it (<see thread title>, just too much bother), plenty of others will. Is it possible to fake an eclipse that hundreds of millions of people can see for themselves, using nothing other than their own eyes?

If it's the "selenelion" thing you're fussing about, that's overblown anyway.  All lunar eclipses occur when the Moon is (almost) exactly 180 degrees from the Sun. That's why it's an eclipse. No news there. And it happens somewhere during every eclipse - wherever the Eclipsed Moon is setting right at sunrise.  It's widely visible in the good ol' USA this time, though, and interesting sciencesy news tidbits are always in demand here, kind of  like the "Supermoon!", so maybe that's it? I'm sure it will happen, just as described, but so what?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #193 on: October 08, 2014, 06:48:53 AM »
The conspiracy made me sleep through the eclipse!  >:(
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2014, 06:50:34 AM »
Those bastards.  >o<

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #195 on: October 08, 2014, 07:29:24 AM »
The conspiracy made it rain during the eclipse.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

ausGeoff

« Reply #196 on: October 08, 2014, 11:45:09 AM »
I live in southern Australia, and managed to get a few glimpses of the eclipse.  I tried to snap a few photos with my very ordinary Sony 16MP digital camera (I'm a 35mm and medium-format film person) but a light cloud cover prevented me capturing anything meaningful—other than showing that the lunar eclipse actually occurred at the time the round earthers predicted.....

This much more professional shot was taken in Brisbane (around 1,800km N/E of me).....

I'd be interested to see how (or if) the flat earthers can explain how their "shadow object" caused this lunar eclipse.  I'd also like them to predict the exact date of the next lunar eclipse using flat earth astrophysics.  (Round earth science says it'll next occur on 27 July 2018.)  Can any flat earthers confirm this date, or suggest a different date—and explain their calculations in detail?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #197 on: October 08, 2014, 01:09:45 PM »
Please learn how to resize pictures.  It is the decent thing to do.   :P

ausGeoff

« Reply #198 on: October 08, 2014, 02:11:04 PM »
Please learn how to resize pictures.  It is the decent thing to do.

Seriously jroa..... is that the only comment you can mnake about the photos I've taken a bit of trouble to capture and post here?

How about a bit of a critique from a flat earther's position?  Do you think the pics are representative of a lunar eclipse as posited by your "shadow object" hypothesis?  Can you explain why the earth's shadow on the moon appears circular if the earth is allegedly flat?  Why does your "shadow object" not completely block out the reflected sunlight at any time during the eclipse?  And why does the colour of the moon appear to be a rusty red?

Arith

« Reply #199 on: October 08, 2014, 02:15:22 PM »
Are you crazy Geoff?
Posting large pics of the moon during an ECLIPSE?? you want to be responsible for infecting everyone over the internet with evil moon fungus rays?

Playing with dynamite here.. you want to post a picture of Mohammed while you're at it man?!

ausGeoff

« Reply #200 on: October 08, 2014, 02:26:29 PM »
Are you crazy Geoff?
Posting large pics of the moon during an ECLIPSE?? you want to be responsible for infecting everyone over the internet with evil moon fungus rays?

Well..... I was standing out in the moonlight for 30 minutes trying to get some decent shots, and you know what the flat earthers say about the dangers of too much moonlight on the human body.  So..... just maybe?  Naaah..... couldn't be.  Could it?

;D

MOON BURN WARNING
« Reply #201 on: October 09, 2014, 08:41:19 AM »
UPCOMING ECLIPSE: The government uses the moon during an eclipse to send infared waves which are not visible to the eye that AFFECT OUR BRAIN TO BELIEVE WHAT THEY SAY. AVOID MOOOON BUUURN BY WEARING PROTECTIVE FOIL HATS AND 3D GLASSES

« Reply #202 on: October 09, 2014, 08:56:54 AM »
This phenomenon has been noted by the ancient people and these techniques are highly advanced and fairly simple ways of protecting ourselves.

?

robintex

• Ranters
Re: MOON BURN WARNING
« Reply #203 on: October 09, 2014, 09:31:23 AM »
UPCOMING ECLIPSE: The government uses the moon during an eclipse to send infared waves which are not visible to the eye that AFFECT OUR BRAIN TO BELIEVE WHAT THEY SAY. AVOID MOOOON BUUURN BY WEARING PROTECTIVE FOIL HATS AND 3D GLASSES

Actually those supposed so-called"laser measurements of the distance from the earth to the moon" by astronomical observatories are really government rays reflected off the moon to send those rays back to the earth to affect our brains to believe what they say. The ham radio operators are also in on this in their so-called "moon bounce" operations. "Who knows what evil lurks in the minds of man ?"

It would really be best to wear a welding helment and a tinfoil raincoat whilst outside on a bright moonlight night or an eclipse....especially one of a "blood red" eclipse.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:36:35 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #204 on: October 09, 2014, 09:36:08 AM »
Being outdoors during an eclipse is something I would highly recommend against doing.  Better to be safe than sorry. 

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #205 on: October 09, 2014, 10:55:56 AM »
Please learn how to resize pictures.  It is the decent thing to do.

Seriously jroa..... is that the only comment you can mnake about the photos I've taken a bit of trouble to capture and post here?

How about a bit of a critique from a flat earther's position?  Do you think the pics are representative of a lunar eclipse as posited by your "shadow object" hypothesis?  Can you explain why the earth's shadow on the moon appears circular if the earth is allegedly flat?  Why does your "shadow object" not completely block out the reflected sunlight at any time during the eclipse?  And why does the colour of the moon appear to be a rusty red?

Well, this isn't really the proper thread to start a debate in. This is a thread to warn you of your impending MOON DOOM. Your photos are nice, tho.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #206 on: October 09, 2014, 11:51:37 AM »
Better to be safe than sorry.
I've always thought that was a piss poor way to live life.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

ausGeoff

« Reply #207 on: October 10, 2014, 01:06:50 AM »
Well, this isn't really the proper thread to start a debate in. This is a thread to warn you of your impending MOON DOOM. Your photos are nice, tho.

Thanks Cowgirl.  They're actually pretty crappy quality, but I tried to capture them myself in order to offset the expected claims from certain flat earthers that this lunar eclipse was bogus—and if I simply posted other people's photos, they'd claim I hadn't personally taken any pics.

I was actually hoping for some intelligent comments about this lunar phenomenon.  The best jroa could come up with was a complaint about the image sizing, and recommending being indoors during an eclipse LOL.

So I asked specifically...

And as I was expecting, absolutely no meaningful response was forthcoming from jroa (or any other genuine flat earther).

This, not unexpectedly, is par for the course whenever a round earther posts any sort of evidence supporting the round earth model.  There's a deathly silence amongst the ranks of flat earthers.

PS:  I didn't start a new topic, because the flat earthers would've totally ignored it with a title along the lines of "Lunar Eclipse Proves Spherical Earth".    ::)

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #208 on: October 10, 2014, 07:01:39 AM »
I think you have been spending too much time exposed to lunar light.  You should get yourself check out for lunacy.  You are starting to act autistic, ausGeoff. 

ausGeoff

« Reply #209 on: October 10, 2014, 07:39:08 AM »
I think you have been spending too much time exposed to lunar light.  You should get yourself check out for lunacy.  You are starting to act autistic, ausGeoff.

So can I take it from this silly, off-topic comment that you're in fact unable—or unwilling—to address my questions jroa?  Why is that?

(And I'd also appreciate you not making a joke out of the very debilitating affliction of autism.  You might not think it's so funny if ever you contract some sort of life-changing disorder.  Thanks.)