Moonlight: Dangers & Precautions

• 690 Replies
?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
Re: Moonlight: Dangers & Precautions
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2013, 12:40:49 PM »
The sun is just light, reflecting off the glass dome.   So the spots are just cooler spots on the dome.

This is obviously false because if we were in a dome we'd be be dead.

th3rm0m3t3r0

• At least 3 words, please.
  • It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2013, 12:54:42 PM »
I'm a badass!  You say that like it's a good thing....well, it was in my younger years at least.   ;D
Usually, in science, it's not good to be different just for the sake of being different when you have no evidence.
Usually, it just makes you look really, really, really stupid.

I don't profess to be correct.
Quote from: sceptimatic
I am correct.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2013, 03:38:09 PM »
Is this serious?
Why is this stickied?
I hate you guys.
Just make sure you heed the precautions. Its easier to hate us when you aren't suffering from moonburn.
I frequently stare at the moon out of pure wonderment.
I'm neither  blind, nor have I even gotten any type of burn.
Most of the time I spend outside is at night.
I rarely get Sun burn.
I don't think I need to "heed" any "precautions".

It is well known that moon light causes mental problems in humans.  The condition is known as lunacy and the people affected are lunatics.  You may or may not be too far along to reverse this condition; however, there is always hope. 

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2013, 04:10:58 PM »
They both take 24 hrs. from rise to set.
You're kidding, right?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2013, 04:13:24 PM »
Why would evolution, or a God make something that shines near 100% of the time deadly? \
Why do the silly faqqers believe humans are so inferior to all other life?
Wait a second, they may be right.  ;)

« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2013, 05:24:17 PM »
You're kidding, right?
I meant from rise to rise.  Thought that was obvious. ???

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2013, 06:49:55 PM »
You're kidding, right?
I meant from rise to rise.  Thought that was obvious. ???
First of all, for most of the earth, sunrise to sunrise are not exactly 24 hours apart.  Have you not noticed the seasonal changes in the length of daylight hours?  Moonrise to moonrise timing undergoes a similar monthly change in its time above the horizon and averages closer to 25 hours from moonrise to moonrise.  The nuances of the sun's and moon's motions are not necessarily as obvious as you might think.
http://star-www.st-and.ac.uk/~fv/sky/moon-general.html

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2013, 06:58:47 PM »
Have you not noticed the seasonal changes in the length of daylight hours?

What does the length of daylight hours have to do with the amount of time between sunrises?

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2013, 07:04:40 PM »

What does the length of daylight hours have to do with the amount of time between sunrises?

Have you noticed how the sun is responsible for daylight?

« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2013, 07:16:52 PM »

In spring the sun rises earlier than the day before until the summer solstice, and in fall it rises later than the day before until the winter solstice, therefore it varies a little more or a little less than 24 hours.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2013, 07:40:21 PM »

Seriously?  You never noticed that sunrise and sunset occur a few minutes earlier or later every day depending on the season?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2013, 07:47:22 PM »
When the day gets shorter, the night gets longer, and vice versa.  The length of a day, not daylight, stays pretty much the same through out the year. 

In other words, the amount of daylight and night are roughly inversely proportionate.  So, the amount of time between sunrise and sunrise remains approximately the same through out the year.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2013, 08:03:28 PM »
When the day gets shorter, the night gets longer, and vice versa. 
Yes
The length of a day, not daylight, stays pretty much the same through out the year. 
Days are 24 hours throughout the year.

In other words, the amount of daylight and night are roughly inversely proportionate.
They must equal 24 hours.

So, the amount of time between sunrise and sunrise remains approximately the same through out the year.
Not even close. The sun does not rise at 6:30 AM every day. Try harder.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2013, 08:35:05 AM »
We all know the sunrise and sunset times change throughout the year...and length of day and night changes throughout the year....SIGH
I don't care if the damn moon and sun are off by MINUTES.  The fact is, from one day to another....on every calendar in the world...on every clock in the world....THERE ARE 24 HOURS in a day.
It amazes me the crap you people debate on here.  ANAL RETENTIVE OR WHAT?!!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2013, 08:43:06 AM »
The length of a day is not defined by sunrise to sunrise or by moonrise to moonrise. 

The point that I was trying to make is that moonrise to moonrise is not 24 hours, as you had claimed.  Moonrise to moonrise is closer to 25 hours, but varies in both monthly and annual cycles.

ausGeoff

« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2014, 12:01:33 AM »
The earth is constantly losing angular velocity and rotational energy through a process called tidal acceleration, which leads to a slow lengthening of the day.

A hundred years ago, the average day was about 1.7 milliseconds shorter than today, while in the late Neoproterozoic period about 600 million years ago a day had only about 21.9 hours.

FEs should note the phrase angular velocity, IE the velocity of a spherical object at its surface.

ausGeoff

« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2014, 12:10:32 AM »

I've just read through this entire thread, but I'm not sure whether or not it's a spoof, or a serious consideration for flat earthers?

The crux of the matter is that the moon has no luminescence of its own, and the light we see reflected from its surface is merely sunlight.

Are FEs claiming that somehow, when sunlight is reflected off the moon, there's some sort of transformation at a nuclear level that causes the light to be harmful?  Say, for example, concentrating the UV element of the light?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2014, 06:20:13 PM »

I've just read through this entire thread, but I'm not sure whether or not it's a spoof, or a serious consideration for flat earthers?

The crux of the matter is that the moon has no luminescence of its own, and the light we see reflected from its surface is merely sunlight.

Are FEs claiming that somehow, when sunlight is reflected off the moon, there's some sort of transformation at a nuclear level that causes the light to be harmful?  Say, for example, concentrating the UV element of the light?

No, we are claiming the moon is self-luminescent.  Possibly due to some kind of bioluminescent creature on its surface.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2014, 07:52:55 PM »
Those who carry the recessive moon gene, you should be safe for the next following days, as the moon shrimp are hibernating.

ausGeoff

« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2014, 09:38:22 AM »

No, we are claiming the moon is self-luminescent.  Possibly due to some kind of bioluminescent creature on its surface.

What evidence—or hypothesis—do you have to claim that there's bioluminescent creatures living on the surface of the moon?  Surely some form of luminescent mineral—such as strontium, tourmaline, or zircon would be more likely than any life form?

« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2014, 07:01:09 AM »

What evidence—or hypothesis—do you have to claim that there's bioluminescent creatures living on the surface of the moon?  Surely some form of luminescent mineral—such as strontium, tourmaline, or zircon would be more likely than any life form?

Willmore said so, and now it is truth.

ausGeoff

« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2014, 07:28:45 AM »
Wilmore said so, and now it is truth.

In that case, Lord Wilmore is horribly misinformed.   :P

Ask any professional astro-photographer at what colour temperature he sets his camera when photographing the moon at night.

He'll tell you "daylight 5600K" which is the temperature of noonday sunlight.  And because "moonlight" is simply reflected sunlight.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2014, 11:56:21 AM »

It really is little more than a hypothesis.  I don't think the evidence is strong enough that this is the case and that the moon isn't luminescent independent of the sun for other reasons (perhaps internal).  I believe Brother John has discussed biological material falling from the heavens as evidence in support of the hypothesis (and again, I make no claim personally about the strength of this argument).
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2014, 07:05:58 AM »
Since the dawn of history, the Moon has possessed an almost unequalled hold over the imagination of man, provoking by turns fascination.
F-Session

Fashion Theme

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2014, 07:34:43 AM »

I'd imagine radioluminescence is far more likely than bioluminescent creatures. I don't think any harm is likely to come to anyone being exposed to moonlight. Cases of "luna"cy and distemper are well-documented through history, however. A little precaution never hurt anyone.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2014, 09:43:39 AM »
should we also fear fireflies?

ausGeoff

« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2014, 03:41:28 PM »

Cases of lunacy and distemper are well-documented through history, however. A little precaution never hurt anyone.

In 1996, professors Ivan Kelly, James Rotton and Roger Culver examined over 100 studies on lunar effects and concluded that the studies have failed to show a reliable and significant correlation (IE: one not likely due to chance) between the full moon, or any other phase of the moon, and each of the following:

- homicide rate
    - traffic accidents
    - crisis calls to police or fire stations
    - domestic violence
    - suicide
    - major disasters
    - kidnappings   
    - violence in prisons
    - psychiatric admissions (one study found admissions were lowest during a full moon)
    - agitated behavior by nursing home residents
    - assaults
    - gunshot wounds   
    - emergency room admissions 
    - alcoholism
    - sleep walking
    - epilepsy

If so many studies have failed to prove a significant correlation between the full moon and anything, why do so many people believe in these lunar myths? Kelly, Rotton, and Culver suspect five factors: media effects, folklore and tradition, misconceptions, cognitive biases, and communal reinforcement.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2014, 03:55:43 PM »
Throughout history, there have been documented cases of mental and physical diseases that have been linked to lunar exposure.  One little case study conducted by a couple of grad students does not impress me. 

ausGeoff

« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2014, 05:02:13 PM »
Throughout history, there have been documented cases of mental and physical diseases that have been linked to lunar exposure.  One little case study conducted by a couple of grad students does not impress me.

Can you please post references to these documented cases of lunar exposure-caused illnesses?

And if you were referring to Kelly, Rotton and Culver as "grad students" then you should know all have PhDs and decades of experience as researchers.  And it wasn't "one little case study"; it was a mega-analysis.

« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2014, 10:23:33 AM »
crime also goes way up (in the North) during summer.
maybe all light is dangerous.
please set your monitor to its lowest illumination and turn off your lights.