Why do the United Nations and Flat Earth Society have the same Logo?

• 217 Replies
Re: Why do the United Nations and Flat Earth Society have the same Logo?
« Reply #150 on: May 16, 2012, 02:21:36 PM »
As usual, an abyssal lack of knowledge from FE'ers about what's happening in the real world of science.

Is it zetetism which gave us 2 wrong maps of FE?
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

Moon squirter

• Ding dong!
« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2012, 02:28:29 PM »
No (again), the word "only" changes the meaning.  He's saying (in other words) "not only re-validate what others have told you, but do other experiments that arrive at an answer".  I've highlighted the key phases:

Quote from: ENaG
Let the method of simple inquiry--the "Zetetic" process be exclusively adopted--experiments tried and facts collected--not such only as corroborate an already existing state of mind, but of every kind and form bearing on the subject, before a conclusion is drawn, or a conviction affirmed.

You are saying that existing accounts are part of the Zetetic process.  Robotham is saying don't trust them, check it yourself.  Simple.

What are you talking about? I did not say anything about existing accounts being a part of the Zetetic Process.

In Rowbotham's quote he is specifically speaking of hypothesis', not prior accounts. How can "an existing state of mind" possibly mean an "existing account"? To not conduct trials with "an existing state of mind" means to do it without framing it around a specific hypothesis.

Tom, Robothem is not talking here about the dangers conducting trials around a specific hypothesis,  He's telling us to "corroborate" existing assumptions and viewpoints. This of course would include others' accounts and testimonies.

Please try to comprehend what he is saying.  Look up "corroborate".  You are an expert, right?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:30:51 PM by Moon squirter »
I haven't performed it and I've never claimed to. I've have trouble being in two places at the same time.

« Reply #152 on: May 16, 2012, 04:18:42 PM »

The flaw in the Scientific Method is that there might be half truths or lesser truths. If you are framing experiments around a single hypothesis you are only testing that specific idea, rather than all ideas.

When you hypothesize first and create an experiment around that hypothesis your experiment is fallacious because you are deliberately framing your experiment around whatever you are trying to prove. You might find a half-truth or misdirection. Finding the truth of the matter has nothing to do with the Scientific Method. With the Scientific Method you are attempting to prove your idea (hypothesis) true. In the Scientific Method you're also told to stop experimenting as soon as you get a successful result.

Experimenting without hypothesis = Zetetic Method
Experimenting around a specific hypothesis = Scientific Method

Zeteticism (Empericism) blows the Scientific Method out of the water. While it might not always be the most practical option to test all possibilities before coming to a conclusion, it is certainly the method which will bring the experimenter the closest to truth. The Scientific Method fails because it is based on creating and testing a hypothesis, rather than testing all competing possibilities. Multiple hypothesis' might very well be correct in a particular subject, but the experimenter wouldn't know that, as he was taught in school to publish his result and declare victory as soon as his hypothesis achieves a positive result.

This is what Zeteticism is. It is not "you have to see it to believe it," or any other such nonsense. The text does not say that at all. I am appalled at the poor reading comprehension on this forum.

You misunderstand the scientific method.  First, I want to point out that it shouldn't make much difference whether or not the hypothesis is constructed before or after the experiment, and that in practice many hypotheses are kept in mind both before and after the experiment is conducted.  Robotham's experiment ,accurate or not, can easily be described in the language of the scientific method.  Robotham had two hypotheses in mind: if the Earth is flat, I must see x.  If the Earth is round, I must see y.  It hardly matters whether he forms the hypothesis before or after the experiment.  He is using the scientific method.

More importantly, you ignore a crucial element of the scientific method, that experiments are hardly framed around a single hypothesis, and that the results of an experiment can be simultaneously compared to a multiplicity of hypotheses.  This is what Robotham is attempting to do, like it or not.  It's also what other scientists do, such as the Geuger-Marsden experiment.  This experiment illustrates how Rutherford actually had several hypotheses in mind: If atoms are entirely empty, one must observe x; if atoms are partially solid, one must observe y; if atoms are entirely solid, one must observe z.

This experiment is also an illustration of the willingness of scientists to abandon their working hypotheses and theories when the data clearly reject those theories.  The modification of hypotheses based on observation is an integral part of the scientific method.

You also portray the scientific method as an inquiry with a terminus.  It is not.  The scientific method does not suggest that you should perform a single experiment, come to a conclusion based on that experiment, and then be finished with your inquiry.  If anything, that describes the way FEers treat the Robotham experiments.  The scientific method assumes that your inquiry is never complete, if it assumes anything at all.  After analyzing the results of an experiment, one should modify any remaining hypotheses and begin a new experiment.  Verify past results.  Compare findings to the findings of others.  Have your work reviewed.  Conduct more experiments.  Find anomalies.  Conduct more experiments.  Modify hypotheses along the way.  This is the practice of the scientific method.

Finally, it is worth noting that the scientific method uses experiments to rule out hypotheses as much or more than it uses them to validate them.  I don't think the same can be said for zeteticism.  Zeteticism seems to be based almost exclusively on saying "I have a achieved the confirming result I was looking for.  No further inquiry is necessary.  All negative results must be false."
Also, the people on your websites are specifically framing their claims, not to learn the truth of the matter, but because they want to "debunk" Apollo Hoax claims --

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2012, 04:20:42 PM »
That doesn't change the fact that Zeteticism is not the same thing as empiricism as you had just implied.  Zeteticism uses empiricism in the same way that the scientific method uses empiricism.  I would contend that empiricism is equally important to the scientific method as it is to zeteticism.  The primary difference is lack of a hypothesis in zeteticism which has nothing to do with the empirical nature of the experiments in both methods.

Yes, Zeteticiscm is the same thing as Empiricism. You just quoted the definition for Empiricism yourself:

"Empiricism in the philosophy of science emphasizes evidence, especially as discovered in experiments."

If you accept that zeteticism is the same as empiricism, then you must accept that zeteticism is at the heart of the scientific method because of the scientific method's requirement for empirical experimentation to validate a hypothesis. 

As it is, however, zeteticism and empiricism are not the same because zeteticism is a method of skeptical inquiry while empiricism is philosophy of gaining knowledge through experience.  Zeteticism may use empiricism as a method of inquiry, but the fact that you say that not all zetetic knowledge must come from first hand experience means that empiricism is not the only method of inquiry allowed by zeteticsm.

Empericism does not say that all evidence must come from first hand experience. Where does it say that on the wiki page for Emepricism, or by any definition? You were just telling me that the Scientific Method operates by Empericism. Does the Scientific Method require us to do the experiments ourselves now? No. You are making blanket assumptions.

Quote from: Moon squirter
I refer you to a previous quote:

Wilmore says that Zetetics need to see the evidence first hand, aka "if I didn't see it, it didn't happen". That's not what Rowbotham says at all. Rowbotham uses hundreds of pieces of third party citations and references throughout his work.

You're quite clearing saying that using first hand accounts (citations) is part of Zetetics, because Robothem uses them in ENaG.

I was speaking in the context of Rowbotham's quote. His quote is not even discussing the subject of third party citations. I'm not sure how you can interject that it does.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2012, 04:34:21 PM »
Where does Rowbotham say anything like you have to see it for yourself for it to be true? I'm reading the first chapter of Earth Not a Globe right now. I see that Rowbotham is describing Zetetism exactly as I've described, but nothing about the concept of  "you have to see it to believe it" is presented anywhere in the chapter.

Where do I claim that he says "you have to see it to believe it"? Who exactly are you quoting?

Right here:

In contrast, that Zetetics "[learn] from experience and observation" (Rowbotham 1) implies that they make logical deductions based on data they have themselves experienced or observed, and that there must be a direct connection between the data and the person drawing logical conclusions from it. Otherwise, Zetetics would not be making logical deductions on the basis of "experience and observation", but rather from reported experiences or reported observations. In short, the Zetetic Method requires that logical deduction be based upon direct sensorial evidence. This is what separates 'observation' from the globularist notion of empirical data, and it accords with our intuitive understanding of Zeteticism, which sees individual Zetetics conducting experiments and drawing conclusions on that basis, rather than making assumptions or accepting as given the opinions of those with vested interests.

See the bolded. You're saying to trust only your eyes and distrust others. Rowbotham does not say that at all.

Quote from: Lord Wilmore
Tom, I frequently deal with RE'ers who present your quotes to me, pointing out that they contradict what I have said about whatever. I also have to deal with people who claim that you said something when in fact you did not. Yet I do not go around demanding apologies from you as a result. Indeed, I have spent the last few days pointing out what you did and didn't say in another thread where your comments were used to attack the society as a whole.

If I posted in the Wiki that Flat Earthers believe that the winds are caused by angles stationed on the four corners of the earth you would have a right to ask an apology from me.

Quote from: Lord Wilmore
When I speak for this society in a public capacity, I always try to be representative of all FE'ers. However, I am entitled to post my own views in a personal capacity, and I usually clearly mark them as being my views. In this instance I have not only done that, but I have explicitly pointed out that other FE'ers probably disagree with me. It is simply not my fault or responsibility if you or others fail to read my posts and misinterpret their content or nature.

You speak on behalf of this website whether you want to or not. There is no choice in the matter.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:14:56 PM by Tom Bishop »

zarg

• Saudi Arabian inventor of Dr. Pepper
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2012, 05:18:57 PM »
If I posted in the Wiki that Flat Earthers believe that the winds are caused by angles stationed on the four corners of the earth you would have a right to ask an apology from me.

Or to, you know, edit the wiki. That's what it's for, after all.

Oh by the way Tom -- I just thought I'd throw this out there -- what if Rowbotham wasn't zetetic?
Quote from: Cat Earth Theory
[Lord Wilmore's writings] are written the way a high schooler thinks an educated person should sound like.  The pathetic pseudo-academic writing can't hide the lack of any real substance.

Moon squirter

• Ding dong!
« Reply #156 on: May 17, 2012, 01:06:25 AM »
No (again), the word "only" changes the meaning.  He's saying (in other words) "not only re-validate what others have told you, but do other experiments that arrive at an answer".  I've highlighted the key phases:

Quote from: ENaG
Let the method of simple inquiry--the "Zetetic" process be exclusively adopted--experiments tried and facts collected--not such only as corroborate an already existing state of mind, but of every kind and form bearing on the subject, before a conclusion is drawn, or a conviction affirmed.

You are saying that existing accounts are part of the Zetetic process.  Robotham is saying don't trust them, check it yourself.  Simple.

What are you talking about? I did not say anything about existing accounts being a part of the Zetetic Process.
Quote from: Moon squirter
I refer you to a previous quote:

Wilmore says that Zetetics need to see the evidence first hand, aka "if I didn't see it, it didn't happen". That's not what Rowbotham says at all. Rowbotham uses hundreds of pieces of third party citations and references throughout his work.

You're quite clearing saying that using first hand accounts (citations) is part of Zetetics, because Robothem uses them in ENaG.

I was speaking in the context of Rowbotham's quote. His quote is not even discussing the subject of third party citations. I'm not sure how you can interject that it does.

My, what a tangled web we weave.
OK, let me ask you this question:  Is the use of citations (testimonies) part of Zetetic reasoning?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:11:48 AM by Moon squirter »
I haven't performed it and I've never claimed to. I've have trouble being in two places at the same time.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2012, 06:02:25 AM »
Where do I claim that he says "you have to see it to believe it"? Who exactly are you quoting?

Right here:

In contrast, that Zetetics "[learn] from experience and observation" (Rowbotham 1) implies that they make logical deductions based on data they have themselves experienced or observed, and that there must be a direct connection between the data and the person drawing logical conclusions from it. Otherwise, Zetetics would not be making logical deductions on the basis of "experience and observation", but rather from reported experiences or reported observations. In short, the Zetetic Method requires that logical deduction be based upon direct sensorial evidence. This is what separates 'observation' from the globularist notion of empirical data, and it accords with our intuitive understanding of Zeteticism, which sees individual Zetetics conducting experiments and drawing conclusions on that basis, rather than making assumptions or accepting as given the opinions of those with vested interests.

See the bolded. You're saying to trust only your eyes and distrust others. Rowbotham does not say that at all.

No, I'm saying that confirming the veracity of a claim requires being able to repeat it, and that to reach conclusions zetetically one's conclusions must follow logically from direct sensorial evidence. So it's totally false to say that I have reduced it to "you have to see it to believe it", because the logical consistency of the conclusions one reaches is an essential component of the methodology.

I would if (as you in fact keep suggesting) you deleted other views whilst doing so, and presented your views as those of all FE'ers. If you merely added such views to the Wiki, then no-one else would have to answer for them, and no-one else would have the right to demand an apology.

Besides, I am not the Flat Earth Wiki. I am a person, with a profile, and am accountable as such.

You speak on behalf of this website whether you want to or not. There is no choice in the matter.

Yes, and when I do I draw a clear distinction between my own views and those of FE'ers at large. Besides, haven't you read the FAQ?

Disclaimer

The opinions and beliefs expressed in any posts do not necessarily reflect the beliefs of The Flat Earth Society Forum. The Flat Earth Society Forum's goal is to promote the free discussion of Flat Earth Theory as well as the free discussion of and debate of any topic of interest to our members that does not contradict Forum Rules.

The views of any individual or organization (including that of the old Flat Earth Society run by Charles K Johnson) are not necessarily shared in whole or in part by The Flat Earth Society. The only person qualified to give the official position of The Flat Earth Society (if required) is Daniel.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

Thork

« Reply #158 on: May 17, 2012, 06:59:31 AM »
The only person qualified to give the official position of The Flat Earth Society (if required) is Daniel.
Daniel has an incredibly poor knowledge of flat earth history. I'm sorry, but he does. He just happens to be the domain owner. And that's it. I could start a starwars forum tomorrow. That doesn't mean I know anything about starwars. Just that I was able to set up a website with smf on it. Referring people to Daniel would be a disaster for the movement. And to say Daniel is in any way 'qualified' is grossly misleading. That's like saying Jimmy Wales is qualified to talk about the history of the bmx bike, because he happens to own a wikipedia page with that information on it. Please refrain from trying to invoke the 'Daniel is God' card. Daniel is absent. That's all you can ever say about Daniel.

?

Around And About

• Circular Logic Falls Flat
« Reply #159 on: May 17, 2012, 07:29:17 AM »
Let me give you a little inside information about Daniel. Daniel likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives us a website. He gives us this extraordinary gift, and then what does he do, I swear for his own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, he sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Debate but don't argue. Argue, but don't troll. Troll, don't use the N-word. Ahaha. And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin' his sick, f$&@!#' ass off! He's a tight-ass! He's a SADIST! He's an absentee landlord! Worship that? NEVER!
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #160 on: May 17, 2012, 08:09:01 AM »
The only person qualified to give the official position of The Flat Earth Society (if required) is Daniel.
Daniel has an incredibly poor knowledge of flat earth history. I'm sorry, but he does. He just happens to be the domain owner. And that's it. I could start a starwars forum tomorrow. That doesn't mean I know anything about starwars. Just that I was able to set up a website with smf on it. Referring people to Daniel would be a disaster for the movement. And to say Daniel is in any way 'qualified' is grossly misleading. That's like saying Jimmy Wales is qualified to talk about the history of the bmx bike, because he happens to own a wikipedia page with that information on it. Please refrain from trying to invoke the 'Daniel is God' card. Daniel is absent. That's all you can ever say about Daniel.

Irrelevant. My point is simple: I don't speak for the society every time I post.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #161 on: May 17, 2012, 09:36:10 AM »
Daniel has an incredibly poor knowledge of flat earth history. I'm sorry, but he does. He just happens to be the domain owner. And that's it.
Daniel is not authorized to give the official position of the Flat Earth Society because he owns the domain.  He is authorized to give the official position of the Flat Earth Society because he is the president (A.K.A. supreme dictator for life) of the Flat Earth Society.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Thork

« Reply #162 on: May 17, 2012, 10:35:42 AM »
Daniel is not authorized to give the official position of the Flat Earth Society because he owns the domain.  He is authorized to give the official position of the Flat Earth Society because he is the president (A.K.A. supreme dictator for life) of the Flat Earth Society.
David Icke claims to be the son of God. Does that make him the son of God? Daniel can claim whatever he wants. Its meaningless.

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #163 on: May 17, 2012, 10:37:47 AM »
David Icke claims to be the son of God. Does that make him the son of God? Daniel can claim whatever he wants. Its meaningless.

You claim to believe in a Flat Earth.
Just saying.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #164 on: May 17, 2012, 10:55:50 AM »
Daniel has an incredibly poor knowledge of flat earth history. I'm sorry, but he does. He just happens to be the domain owner. And that's it.
Also he was re-elected in a free and fair election.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=51005.0
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #165 on: May 17, 2012, 11:22:46 AM »
I think that this is the point where further meaningful debate with you becomes impossible.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #166 on: May 17, 2012, 12:16:47 PM »
I'm baffled by how quickly those topic derail, just as if FE'ers didn't want to answer the questions.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #167 on: May 17, 2012, 01:14:04 PM »

That is one of the worst analogies ever made on this site.  And that's saying a lot.

?

Thork

« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2012, 01:26:39 PM »

That is one of the worst analogies ever made on this site.  And that's saying a lot.
Deranged narcissistic crackpot number one claims to be the son of God.
Deranged narcissistic crackpot number two claims to be President of the flat earth society.
Deranged narcissistic crackpot number one sets up an internet forum.
Deranged narcissistic crackpot number two sets up an internet forum.
Deranged narcissistic crackpot number one is an eccentric out-going multi-millionaire, loved by an army of dedicated followers.
Deranged narcissistic crackpot number two is the one we got lumbered with.

Is the analogy still too complicated for you?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #169 on: May 17, 2012, 01:47:36 PM »
I didn't say it was complicated; I said it was bad.  "The Flat Earth Society" is not an abstraction that refers to all FE proponents or organizations all over the world.  It is this website and the community on it.  That is all that Daniel has claimed leadership of, and that is what he is entitled to, seeing how he created and owns this website.

Sphere

• Earth is ROUND
« Reply #170 on: May 17, 2012, 02:00:46 PM »

Deranged narcissistic crackpot number one claims to be the son of God.
Deranged narcissistic crackpot number two claims to be President of the flat earth society.
Deranged narcissistic crackpot number one sets up an internet forum[/url].
Deranged narcissistic crackpot number two sets up an internet forum.
Deranged narcissistic crackpot number one is an eccentric out-going multi-millionaire, loved by an army of dedicated followers.
Deranged narcissistic crackpot number two is the one we got lumbered with.

Is the analogy still too complicated for you?
That site is creepy wtf is it about?

?

Thork

« Reply #171 on: May 17, 2012, 02:04:42 PM »
David Icke believes that the world is run by shape-shifting lizards and that George Bush, Geri Halliwell (the spice girl) and the Queen of England, amongst others are lizard people. He also has a bunch of other theories.

Have a read. You might prefer to troll them instead.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke

Sphere

• Earth is ROUND
« Reply #172 on: May 17, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
David Icke believes that the world is run by shape-shifting lizards and that George Bush, Geri Halliwell (the spice girl) and the Queen of England, amongst others are lizard people. He also has a bunch of other theories.

uhhhhhhhh. Well, that's interesting.... and disturbing. Lizard people, oooooook. His amount of followers disturbs me.

?

Thork

« Reply #173 on: May 17, 2012, 02:13:36 PM »

uhhhhhhhh. Well, that's interesting.... and disturbing. Lizard people, oooooook. His amount of followers disturbs me.
Its what they know, that should disturb you.  :o

Sphere

• Earth is ROUND
« Reply #174 on: May 17, 2012, 02:21:48 PM »

Its what they know, that should disturb you.  :o
You believe in what he says?

« Reply #175 on: May 18, 2012, 08:28:13 AM »
I'm baffled by how quickly those topic derail, just as if FE'ers didn't want to answer the questions.

Nothing to add, really.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #176 on: May 18, 2012, 08:35:44 AM »
There are several organizations that go by the name "Flat Earth Society" or some derived name.  This one just happens to have gotten the most publicity as well as has the largest flat earth library I know of due to Daniel "inheriting" several books belonging to various flat earth collections.  If you really think Daniel is not treating the society in a proper way, make your own.  However this kind of needless and functionless division is one of the largest problems with uniting the flat earth community across terra aside from Religion.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: May 18, 2012, 08:38:40 AM »
Which questions did you wish answered?  The reason why the United Nations and the FES have a similar logo have been explained both in this thread and elsewhere.  Usually its summed up by one of these responses:
1)  Coincidence:  The projection used for the UN logo just happens to be similar to what we believe the Earth looks like.
2)  Conspiracy:   The United Nations logo was chosen due to its similarity to the actual representation of Earth.

You are correct though.  This thread is wildly off topic and I suggest those in this thread would keep that in mind and try to return to topic as has been suggested already.

On a side note, I'm always amazed at the amount of discussion that is had here concerning ENaG.  While a notable text, its outdated, patently false at times and only really has note in its discussion and definition of its practices and philosophical pins.  Its only worth at this point of time, other than its historical interest, is that Rowbotham is the modern father of zeteticism.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:41:57 AM by John Davis »

« Reply #178 on: May 18, 2012, 08:43:17 AM »
1) Coincidences happen, we all know that. What a strange world it would be if there was no coincidences.
2) It doesn't make sense that an organization implicitly RE'er should choose a FE representation!

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: May 18, 2012, 08:46:36 AM »
1) Coincidences happen, we all know that. What a strange world it would be if there was no coincidences.
2) It doesn't make sense that an organization implicitly RE'er should choose a FE representation!
1) Yes, which is the point of said argument
2) If the UN, or rather the military architects that made the logo, knew of the shape of the earth they might choose such a logo as a nod towards their aims.  As far as the UN being "implicitly" RE, I've never heard the UN referred to as a RE organization.  The typical response here might point towards the plentitude of questionable logos that could hint at conspiratory aims.  The thread James did on logos and air organizations comes to mind as well as the discussions on NASAs logos and the flags for groups within the UN.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:48:16 AM by John Davis »