Why do the United Nations and Flat Earth Society have the same Logo?

• 217 Replies

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: Why do the United Nations and Flat Earth Society have the same Logo?
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2012, 10:32:33 AM »
RE map provide a degree of accuracy which is enough.

You conveniently forget that for over 300 years RE maps depicted California as an island off the coast of the United States.

« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2012, 10:47:48 AM »

You conveniently forget that for over 300 years RE maps depicted California as an island off the coast of the United States.

Oh Tom, if you made an effort to understand!

Recent RE maps are good enough, whereas FE map consist of 2 maps a couple of inches in diameter and utterly wrong.
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2012, 10:48:37 AM »

We used to make bad maps so we must always make bad maps!  Love the logic on this one.

« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2012, 11:00:45 AM »

To my knowledge there have been no maps solely produced by the Flat Earth or Zetetic societies, using zetetic methods, independent of any existing cartography.

Each map produced by this esteemed society has been tainted by the conspiracy of terrestrial globalism.  Its a scandal.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:06:09 AM by Kendrick »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2012, 02:08:02 PM »

Recent RE maps are good enough, whereas FE map consist of 2 maps a couple of inches in diameter and utterly wrong.

How do you know it is good enough?

When Europe was colonizing the Americas everyone took California's existence as an island for granted because they saw it drawn that way on a map. People lived and died on California believing that they were living on an island.

To my knowledge there have been no maps solely produced by the Flat Earth or Zetetic societies, using zetetic methods, independent of any existing cartography.

Each map produced by this esteemed society has been tainted by the conspiracy of terrestrial globalism.  Its a scandal.

'To my knowledge', indeed. If you had read Flat Earth: The History of an Infamous Idea by historian Christine Garwood you would know that Samuel Birley Rowbotham and company studied the matter deeply, collecting data from all manner of nautical and surveying sources of the day. Ship logs were consulted, navigators were interviewed, and surveyors consulted, all to create an accurate map of 1/8th of the earth's surface - a slice of pie containing Europe and Africa. It was proven by these sources that Africa is wider than it is long, thus contradicting the globular assumption. A great bulk of data went into this map.

There is even a poster sized foldout of the 1/8th map in the hardcover edition.

« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »
'To my knowledge', indeed. If you had read Flat Earth: The History of an Infamous Idea by historian Christine Garwood you would know that Samuel Birley Rowbotham and company studied the matter deeply, collecting data from all manner of nautical and surveying sources of the day. Ship logs were consulted, navigators were interviewed, and surveyors consulted, all to create an accurate map 1/8th of the earth's surface - a slice of pie containing Europe and Africa. It was proven by these sources that Africa was wider than it was long. A great bulk of data went into this map.

I refuse to believe Rowbotham himself accepted as certainty the fanciful accounts of others who may have had vested interests, rather then gather his own data and observe for himself.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2012, 02:14:50 PM »
'To my knowledge', indeed. If you had read Flat Earth: The History of an Infamous Idea by historian Christine Garwood you would know that Samuel Birley Rowbotham and company studied the matter deeply, collecting data from all manner of nautical and surveying sources of the day. Ship logs were consulted, navigators were interviewed, and surveyors consulted, all to create an accurate map 1/8th of the earth's surface - a slice of pie containing Europe and Africa. It was proven by these sources that Africa was wider than it was long. A great bulk of data went into this map.

I refuse to believe Rowbotham himself accepted as certainty the fanciful accounts of others who may have had vested interests, rather then gather his own data and observe for himself.

You seem to believe that Zeteticism demands first hand evidence. A common misconception on these forums.

See Zetetic and Theoretic Compared and Defined
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 02:17:27 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
You are also mistaken in that you speak for all Zeteticists, some have set the bar far higher.

Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with Lord Wilmore's well written work Discourse on the Zetetic Method

I am familiar with the the map slice - the diagram in Garwood's text attributes it to Hampden.  Could you direct me to the source of your elaborations?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 03:10:53 PM by Kendrick »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2012, 03:28:48 PM »
You are also mistaken in that you speak for all Zeteticists, some have set the bar far higher.

As those Zetetics have failed to read Chapter 1 which explains what Zeteticm is, they can't really call themselves Zetetics, can they?

Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with Lord Wilmore's well written work Discourse on the Zetetic Method

Again, a common misconception on this forum.

If Lord Wilmore had read Earth Not a Globe he would find that Rowbotham uses all sorts of data he did not collect himself.

I am familiar with the the map slice - the diagram in Garwood's text attributes it to Hampden.  Could you direct me to the source of your elaborations?

From what I recall in the text it was presented as a collaboration between multiple people, not one. The book is available as a preview in Google Books. The caption under the image does not identify Hampden as the author.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 03:48:00 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2012, 03:46:16 PM »

How do you know it is good enough?

When Europe was colonizing the Americas everyone took California's existence as an island for granted because they saw it drawn that way on a map. People lived and died on California believing that they were living on an island.

'To my knowledge', indeed. If you had read Flat Earth: The History of an Infamous Idea by historian Christine Garwood you would know that Samuel Birley Rowbotham and company studied the matter deeply, collecting data from all manner of nautical and surveying sources of the day. Ship logs were consulted, navigators were interviewed, and surveyors consulted, all to create an accurate map of 1/8th of the earth's surface - a slice of pie containing Europe and Africa. It was proven by these sources that Africa is wider than it is long, thus contradicting the globular assumption. A great bulk of data went into this map.

Fortunately, we have modern maps and modern ways of measuring things and we don't have to rely on XIXth century and before bullshit.
And nobody sensible can now say that Africa is wider than longer because it is definitively disprouved.

« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2012, 03:48:48 PM »

If Lord Wilmore had read Earth Not a Globe he would find that Rowbotham uses all sorts of data he did not collect himself.

Perhaps you should address him on this matter - as a member of the Zetetic Council his opinion carries a lot of weight.

From what I recall it was presented as a collaboration between multiple people, not one.

Your account of the map doesn't appear to come from Garwood.  You have catalogued a vast array of pertinant literature -I'll continue to look to verify the details concerning the source of the map slice.

Has the zetetic or flat earth societies produced a more complete map of the earth - or does that part of my assertion stand?

edit:  I replied to this prior to your edit - I own my own copy of Garwood's text, you are correct in regards to Hampden, I apologize for being imprecise.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 03:51:24 PM by Kendrick »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2012, 03:57:47 PM »

Perhaps you should address him on this matter - as a member of the Zetetic Council his opinion carries a lot of weight.

What are you talking about? There is only me on this forum, who has read Earth Not a Globe cover to cover, and then there is everyone else who has not. Lord Wilmore has not. If he had, he would see that Rowbotham presents literally hundreds of pieces of information by third party sources which he did not himself collect.

There are Flat Earthers on this forum who believe that Earth Not a Globe depicts a finite disk earth, an 80,000 foot tall ice wall, and a flat sun and moon. Clearly, RE'er or FE'er, many people on this forum have a fundamental problem with reading the actual material.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 04:03:30 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2012, 04:01:15 PM »

What are you talking about? There is only me on this forum, who has read Earth Not a Globe cover to cover, and then there is everyone else who has not. Lord Wilmore has not. If he had, he would see that Rowbotham presents literally hundreds of pieces of information by third party sources which he did not himself collect.

There are Flat Earthers on this forum who believe that Earth Not a Globe depicts a finite disk earth, an 80,000 foot tall ice wall, and a flat sun and moon. Clearly everyone on this forum has a fundamental problem with reading the actual material.

May be they have issues with an obsolete book whose theories are far from being proved right.

zarg

• Saudi Arabian inventor of Dr. Pepper
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2012, 04:04:21 PM »
Samuel Birley Rowbotham and company studied the matter deeply, collecting data from all manner of nautical and surveying sources of the day. Ship logs were consulted, navigators were interviewed, and surveyors consulted, all to create an accurate map of 1/8th of the earth's surface - a slice of pie containing Europe and Africa. It was proven by these sources that Africa is wider than it is long, thus contradicting the globular assumption. A great bulk of data went into this map.

Then why is it not "the most widely accepted"?
Quote from: Cat Earth Theory
[Lord Wilmore's writings] are written the way a high schooler thinks an educated person should sound like.  The pathetic pseudo-academic writing can't hide the lack of any real substance.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
Samuel Birley Rowbotham and company studied the matter deeply, collecting data from all manner of nautical and surveying sources of the day. Ship logs were consulted, navigators were interviewed, and surveyors consulted, all to create an accurate map of 1/8th of the earth's surface - a slice of pie containing Europe and Africa. It was proven by these sources that Africa is wider than it is long, thus contradicting the globular assumption. A great bulk of data went into this map.

It's not the most widely accepted map because the most widely accepted map is the one that looks like the UN map. Do I have to spell it out for you?

zarg

« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2012, 04:23:19 PM »

It's not the most widely accepted map because the most widely accepted map is the one that looks like the UN map. Do I have to spell it out for you?

I did not ask you which was most widely accepted. I asked you why it is. What facts or events caused this to be the popular choice if it's not the accurate one? If it were up to you, which one would be the standard?
[Lord Wilmore's writings] are written the way a high schooler thinks an educated person should sound like.  The pathetic pseudo-academic writing can't hide the lack of any real substance.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2012, 08:23:22 AM »
There is only me on this forum, who has read Earth Not a Globe cover to cover, and then there is everyone else who has not.

That's a mighty bold statement, Tom.

Lord Wilmore has not.

Wilmore quoting Rowbotham in his discourse suggests otherwise.

If he had, he would see that Rowbotham presents literally hundreds of pieces of information by third party sources which he did not himself collect.

If Rowbotham did not collect this information himself, how did he verify its accuracy?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2012, 09:04:24 AM »

There are Flat Earthers on this forum who believe that Earth Not a Globe depicts a finite disk earth, an 80,000 foot tall ice wall, and a flat sun and moon. Clearly, RE'er or FE'er, many people on this forum have a fundamental problem with reading the actual material.

Ridiculous.  I expected better out of you Tom.  I think you owe some of us an apology. 

In fact, I am recently rereading ENaG for who knows which time to annotate and review.  I was hoping to preempt my works publishing with annotated republished and reviewed copies of flat earth classics annotated, reviewed, and commented on by experts with updated layout and infographics / diagrams.  I was thinking that you and I would serve as two great editors for ENaG and already have a handful of artists in mind. 

The reasoning for an infinite disk I don't recall however in ENaG.  I had to look into other works and quotes outside of his firsthand published material to realize his clever hint at it in ENaG.   Specifically I believe he talks of an earth that goes on for an unknown distance.  Clearly here he is succumbing to his need for accuracy and prudence in published zetetic work (and one would wish scientific work) as well as his philosophical ideologies rather than outright declare what he believes and knows to be true.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:09:22 AM by John Davis »

?

Thork

« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2012, 09:12:33 AM »
There is only me on this forum, who has read Earth Not a Globe cover to cover, and then there is everyone else who has not.
Incorrect.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2012, 11:23:34 AM »
I did not ask you which was most widely accepted. I asked you why it is. What facts or events caused this to be the popular choice if it's not the accurate one? If it were up to you, which one would be the standard?

People like the polar map because it looks complete.

If it were up to me the standard map would be a blank white image with a question mark in it.

That's a mighty bold statement, Tom.

It is an equally bold to make statements of what I believe as a Zetetic, without having read the material.

Quote from: markjo
Wilmore quoting Rowbotham in his discourse suggests otherwise.

Where does Rowbotham say that you have to see it to believe it? Earth Not a Globe references literally hundreds of third party materials to support the earth's flattitude. It's not hard to miss. The philosophy can't be "you have to see it to believe it."

If Rowbotham did not collect this information himself, how did he verify its accuracy?

As Rowbotham is quoting scientific and nautical publications, the accuracy of his citations is verified by the field's own processes of corroboration and interna review.

It's just as if I quoted an article from the Journal of Organic Chemistry in an argument. The source material is verified by the process of peer review of the particular field. It doesn't mean that what I quote is not evidence towards my argument.

Ridiculous.  I expected better out of you Tom.  I think you owe some of us an apology. 

Lord Wilmore owes me an apology for declaring what I believe without first reading the material.

It is apparent from the people who put together the FAQ, and from the comments I see from Flat Earthers on this forum that most people have only ever skimmed Earth Not a Globe. I have not come across a single person who I can honestly say has a full understanding of the work.

?

Thork

« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2012, 11:25:15 AM »
I have not come across a single person who I can honestly say has a full understanding of the work.
>:(

« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2012, 11:26:32 AM »
I get the impression no one really knows what a FE map should look like.

And at the end of the day how would they know they're right?

« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2012, 11:27:27 AM »

If "widely accepted" is the standard that defines truth, then the earth must be round, mustn't it?

« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2012, 11:27:49 AM »
I have not come across a single person who I can honestly say has a full understanding of the work.

Does that include yourself?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2012, 12:09:47 PM »

If "widely accepted" is the standard that defines truth, then the earth must be round, mustn't it?

Nobody said that "widely accepted" was the standard for truth.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2012, 01:24:55 PM »

As Rowbotham is quoting scientific and nautical publications, the accuracy of his citations is verified by the field's own processes of corroboration and interna review.

So he just took their word for it.  Gotcha.

It's just as if I quoted an article from the Journal of Organic Chemistry in an argument. The source material is verified by the process of peer review of the particular field. It doesn't mean that what I quote is not evidence towards my argument.

Haven't you pointed out how often peer reviewed journals tend to be wrong?

Lord Wilmore owes me an apology for declaring what I believe without first reading the material.

When did Wilmore declare what you do or don't believe?  Wilmore has his view on zeteticism, you have yours and John has his.  Who are you to say that only Rowbotham's is the correct one?  Personally, I think that all of you have it wrong and Marcello Truizzi has a much better version, but that's just my opinion.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

zarg

« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2012, 02:55:09 PM »
If it were up to me the standard map would be a blank white image with a question mark in it.

So Rowbotham's is wrong?

Moon squirter

• Ding dong!
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2012, 03:55:48 AM »

It is apparent from the people who put together the FAQ, and from the comments I see from Flat Earthers on this forum that most people have only ever skimmed Earth Not a Globe. I have not come across a single person who I can honestly say has a full understanding of the work.

Thankfully Tom, most of your FE comrades appear to treat ENaG as less than gospel, with improvements begging to be made given Robothem's shortcomings in mathematics and optics.

Please cease telling people to read this limited pamphlet.  You sound like a over zelous priest, berating his bored congregation for not knowing the Psalms.
I haven't performed it and I've never claimed to. I've have trouble being in two places at the same time.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2012, 11:57:08 AM »

It's more like he provides substantial and corroborating evidence to demonstrate the earth's flatness.

Actually I tend to point out that NASA's activities are not peer reviewed.

When did Wilmore declare what you do or don't believe?  Wilmore has his view on zeteticism, you have yours and John has his.  Who are you to say that only Rowbotham's is the correct one?  Personally, I think that all of you have it wrong and Marcello Truizzi has a much better version, but that's just my opinion.

Wilmore makes direct statements about how Samuel Birley Rowbotham outlines Zeteticism and makes claims about what Zetetics believe. Wilmore owes us apology for not reading the actual material before speaking on our behalf.

If Marcello Truizzi was an admin of this forum who was telling people what I believe and what Earth Not a Globe says, without having read the material, I would ask for an apology from him too.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:00:19 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2012, 12:32:41 PM »

It's more like he provides substantial and corroborating evidence to demonstrate the earth's flatness.

Actually I tend to point out that NASA's activities are not peer reviewed.

Wilmore makes direct statements about how Samuel Birley Rowbotham outlines Zeteticism and makes claims about what Zetetics believe. Wilmore owes us apology for not reading the actual material before speaking on our behalf.

If Marcello Truizzi was an admin of this forum who was telling people what I believe and what Earth Not a Globe says, without having read the material, I would ask for an apology from him too.

NASA does research, and of course the research is peer-reviewed.