Why do the United Nations and Flat Earth Society have the same Logo?

• 217 Replies

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: Why do the United Nations and Flat Earth Society have the same Logo?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2012, 12:51:11 PM »
Many of the organizations within the UN also have telling logos/flags as well as the days they choose to use as flagships (Earth Day for example.)    The logo itself was designed by an ex-military architect.  The leaves were lifted from designs of another architect that worked closely with this sort of stuff (Nuremburg, etc).  Of course, this could be found likely with a google search.

I'm going to ask the girlfriend, an architect, if she has any source material on any of these designers or designs.  Its unlikely as its not the sort of thing down her alley, but I'll post back if something interesting turns up.

As far as the popular flat earth maps that circulate, they are wildly inaccurate but serve an important purpose: helping visualize the basic historical theory around the flat earth.

Or, we could look at the official cover story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_United_Nations
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2012, 01:32:54 PM »
Yeah, thats a good source for images of said flags, and the official reasoning that went on the books, but I imagine research into the two main parties involved would yield a fuller view of the story. 

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 01:36:02 PM »
That certainly raises the question of whether an accurate map can exist in general, or in this specific case.

The question though of course is silly: you might as well have asked Napolean when the personal computer would be engineered.  If we could know when such a map could exist, we likely could create it now.

There are hundred of thousands of good RE maps.
Never disproved by FET.
With accurate distances and distorsion.
There certainly are usable RE maps.  I wouldn't know what a "good" map would refer to however.  Are they accurate?  perhaps, but perhaps not.  Just because they function does not mean they are accurate.  One could create three functional tools that are based off of mutually exclusive principals that all function accurately. 

As far as never disproved by FET, how does one disprove a map?  A map is by nature its own representation with its own flaws and benefits inherent to its design.  Unless one were to create a 1:1 map, such a disproof would be meaningless, much for reasons explained above.

zarg

• Saudi Arabian inventor of Dr. Pepper
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 01:42:19 PM »
That certainly raises the question of whether an accurate map can exist in general, or in this specific case.

The question though of course is silly: you might as well have asked Napolean when the personal computer would be engineered.  If we could know when such a map could exist, we likely could create it now.

Why is it silly? What tools do you need to produce accurate maps, and how are they not yet available?

Also, what method do you use to determine whether a map is accurate?
Quote from: Cat Earth Theory
[Lord Wilmore's writings] are written the way a high schooler thinks an educated person should sound like.  The pathetic pseudo-academic writing can't hide the lack of any real substance.

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2012, 12:18:25 AM »

There are hundred of thousands of good RE maps.
Never disproved by FET.
With accurate distances and distorsion.
There certainly are usable RE maps.  I wouldn't know what a "good" map would refer to however.  Are they accurate?  perhaps, but perhaps not.  Just because they function does not mean they are accurate.  One could create three functional tools that are based off of mutually exclusive principals that all function accurately. 

As far as never disproved by FET, how does one disprove a map?  A map is by nature its own representation with its own flaws and benefits inherent to its design.  Unless one were to create a 1:1 map, such a disproof would be meaningless, much for reasons explained above.

Provide us then with at least one decent -and bigger- FE map, though you don't know what a good map is(!)
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

zarg

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2012, 01:14:26 AM »

Do you know how to multiply? Divide? Yes? Then what is the problem? How to disprove a map: Indicate points A and B on a map. Go to the location the map represents at A. Travel in the direction of B the proper distance according to the map's scale (this is where you get to use your math skills!). Demonstrate that the location you stop at is different from the location represented at B.

Oh, and before you reiterate your "Just because they function does not mean they are accurate" argument, notice that I am telling you how to disprove a map, not prove one. While it's true that pointing out paths that are accurate does not prove a map's accuracy, it can be disproved by pointing out inaccurate paths. You insinuate that disproof is inherently impossible; you are incorrect.

So the question remains of why you have never succeeded in disproving a RE map. Not only that, you fail to provide any alternative map that can account for all the paths that have been confirmed accurate on the RE map (as a matter of fact, such a flat map's existence is geometrically impossible, but the FE advocates here are too mathematically illiterate to comprehend that).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 01:26:07 AM by zarg »
[Lord Wilmore's writings] are written the way a high schooler thinks an educated person should sound like.  The pathetic pseudo-academic writing can't hide the lack of any real substance.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2012, 05:57:02 AM »

Do you know how to multiply? Divide? Yes? Then what is the problem? How to disprove a map: Indicate points A and B on a map. Go to the location the map represents at A. Travel in the direction of B the proper distance according to the map's scale (this is where you get to use your math skills!). Demonstrate that the location you stop at is different from the location represented at B.
That could disprove the accuracy of the results of using a map, but it does not guarantee to disprove inaccurate maps (which indeed are all them all by nature)  or results equivalent / functionally different maps even if you travel every path available on said map.

Oh, and before you reiterate your "Just because they function does not mean they are accurate" argument, notice that I am telling you how to disprove a map, not prove one. While it's true that pointing out paths that are accurate does not prove a map's accuracy, it can be disproved by pointing out inaccurate paths. You insinuate that disproof is inherently impossible; you are incorrect.

So the question remains of why you have never succeeded in disproving a RE map. Not only that, you fail to provide any alternative map that can account for all the paths that have been confirmed accurate on the RE map (as a matter of fact, such a flat map's existence is geometrically impossible, but the FE advocates here are too mathematically illiterate to comprehend that).
How does that disprove a map?  Use math to show, if possible, how this is indeed a proof or disproof of a "map".

The question certainly does not remain why I never "disproved a re map."  Its because its a meaningless statement.  Maps are tools and indeed they are at a baser form useful lies.  In short, every map is capable of disproof due  to its nature.  In addition, not only is it not "geometrically impossible", but I think in that we have shown addequately who is mathematically illiterate here.  The possible of existence of functionally different yet equally accurate maps make the whole point moot though.

Provide us then with at least one decent -and bigger- FE map, though you don't know what a good map is(!)
If you won't tell me what you mean by "decent" and "good" in relation to maps (is that they pay their taxes and go to church?) it is impossible for me to comply with your ridiculous request.

Why is it silly? What tools do you need to produce accurate maps, and how are they not yet available?

Also, what method do you use to determine whether a map is accurate?
The question is silly because I, like Napolean, am unable to see the future to predict when we will have a map and one shouldn't expect me to.  Making an accurate map is logistically impossible by its purpose unless, like stated before, its 1:1 in which case we are dealing with a whole different conversation.  We deal with functional maps usually, and only bother to verify their accuracy from function rather than accuracy in function as it detracts from their purpose which is in effect their inaccurate functionality, round earth or flat.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 06:31:39 AM by John Davis »

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 06:39:33 AM »
If you won't tell me what you mean by "decent" and "good" in relation to maps (is that they pay their taxes and go to church?) it is impossible for me to comply with your ridiculous request.

OK, no FE map. Point taken.

The only one you can offer is a RE map, as demonstrated.

A theory of a flat Earth without map, when RE maps work perfectly in real life.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2012, 10:04:25 AM »
Actually, I do have a functional flat earth map that ties in with my theories soon to be published hopefully.

Basically, we are looking at what I've causely dubbed at times a fractal, recursive, and or "quantum" (all used incorrectly but to illustrate the concept) topology.  We have layers of north pole and south pole centric states that are experienced as such they were the "average", again so to speak,  of the states.  Here is a simple graphic illustrating the basic concept.  From there with minimal effort one could produce mercator or whatever project of map you would want with desired functional accuracy.  However, my interest is not in cartography so I have not done the mundane work of this, but would rather settle for the results (and modeled mathematical ) equivalent round earth maps that would be the end.

As you can obviously see, it would fit perfectly within the model for an infinite flat earth.

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2012, 10:50:45 AM »
Actually, I do have a functional flat earth map that ties in with my theories soon to be published hopefully.

Basically, we are looking at what I've causely dubbed at times a fractal, recursive, and or "quantum" (all used incorrectly but to illustrate the concept) topology.  We have layers of north pole and south pole centric states that are experienced as such they were the "average", again so to speak,  of the states.  Here is a simple graphic illustrating the basic concept.  From there with minimal effort one could produce mercator or whatever project of map you would want with desired functional accuracy.  However, my interest is not in cartography so I have not done the mundane work of this, but would rather settle for the results (and modeled mathematical ) equivalent round earth maps that would be the end.

As you can obviously see, it would fit perfectly within the model for an infinite flat earth.

How will the sun move with respect to the north and south pole in that map?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2012, 11:22:38 AM »

But the earth is not a globe. I don't see why any Flat Earth model should try to account for something false and untrue.

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2012, 11:50:55 AM »

It is plain to see you have fallen victim to the twin demons of guesswork and speculation.  Perhaps you should consult Wilmore's text and become a better Zeteticist.

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2012, 12:08:30 PM »
How does it apply to the 2 FE mpas that you provide us?

zarg

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2012, 02:34:40 PM »
That could disprove the accuracy of the results of using a map, but it does not guarantee to disprove inaccurate maps (which indeed are all them all by nature)  or results equivalent / functionally different maps even if you travel every path available on said map.
Use math to show, if possible, how this is indeed a proof or disproof of a "map".

What is this nonsense? You're saying it's impossible to "disprove a map", yet admit it's possible to disprove the accuracy of a map's results? That is what we mean when we talk about disproving "a map". You're just playing with words, trying to brush the issue under the carpet through obfuscation.

The possible of existence of functionally different yet equally accurate maps make the whole point moot though.

If you are referring to different projections, you are wrong and once again demonstrating your mathematical illiteracy. They all equally map a globe.

my interest is not in cartography

It shows.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/871/fractalearthbf8.jpg

A masterpiece of convoluted nonsense, but it still fails to explain east-west distances. Bravo.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2012, 08:23:37 AM »
If you aren't going to act  civil, I see no reason to waste my time continuing this conversation. 

I'll go ahead and give you the courtesy of answering what questions you had.  Don't expect further responses.

Use math to show, if possible, how this is indeed a proof or disproof of a "map".

What is this nonsense? You're saying it's impossible to "disprove a map", yet admit it's possible to disprove the accuracy of a map's results? That is what we mean when we talk about disproving "a map". You're just playing with words, trying to brush the issue under the carpet through obfuscation.
The point being is that two different maps can function in completely different ways or topologies and still yeild the same accuracy in results.  This illustrates one of the many flaws in the line of logic you've been trying to use here.

The possible of existence of functionally different yet equally accurate maps make the whole point moot though.

If you are referring to different projections, you are wrong and once again demonstrating your mathematical illiteracy. They all equally map a globe.
They don't "equal" a globe.  I was not, in particular, referring to different projects.  I am certainly not mathematically illiterate.
my interest is not in cartography

It shows.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/871/fractalearthbf8.jpg

A masterpiece of convoluted nonsense, but it still fails to explain east-west distances. Bravo.
East-West distances are predicted accurately within the model, if thats what you jab was supposed to target.  It is easier to dismiss ideas out of hand rather than objectively review them.  Much of the current round earth scientific establishment works in such a way.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:31:49 AM by John Davis »

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2012, 08:24:02 AM »

But the earth is not a globe. I don't see why any Flat Earth model should try to account for something false and untrue.
What am I accounting for that is false and untrue?

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2012, 08:30:31 AM »
Quantum physics don't work at this scale.
If there was a fractal pattern, we should be able to detect it.

Nice idea, though.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2012, 08:32:53 AM »
I never said quantum physics applied to this scale.

How would one go about detecting a fractal pattern as such?

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2012, 08:35:09 AM »

You don't know how fractal work!?

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2012, 08:44:26 AM »

Yes quite well.  I spent some time working on research involving fractal behavior in artificial life.  You don't know how English work!? Just kidding.

Anyways, like I said explicitly, I use them for illustrative purposes.  I have found it usually speeds up the grasp of the initial idea by using popular terms that relate so much as any simile would.  I have more formal mathematical definitions varying from the simple to higher level mathematics.  I choose the one I think appropriate for the conversation at hand.

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2012, 09:01:28 AM »

Yes quite well.  I spent some time working on research involving fractal behavior in artificial life.  You don't know how English work!? Just kidding.

Anyways, like I said explicitly, I use them for illustrative purposes.  I have found it usually speeds up the grasp of the initial idea by using popular terms that relate so much as any simile would.  I have more formal mathematical definitions varying from the simple to higher level mathematics.  I choose the one I think appropriate for the conversation at hand.

Well, I don' see either fracals or quantum mechanics being accurate for your idea.
Gotta better idea?

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2012, 09:23:47 AM »
Like I said, they aren't meant to be accurate, they are meant to convey the basic principle. 

The term I use for it in my work is abstracted states vs concrete states. 

I call this phenomenon the universe-view state collapse. 

The universe exists in an infinite amount of  “states.”  Each of these can be represented as a space of vectors of information and qualities corresponding to all the mass in the earth (or even universe) and other relevant data.  We will those spaces as |i>.  Said states comprising the space are alternate in series between states where the Earth has the geographic south pole at the geographic center of the disk, and those in which it has the geographic north pole in the geographic center of the disk.   The state class with the north pole geographically in the center is denoted by Φ, and that with the south pole geographically centered is denoted by Θ.  Consider Σ(Φmod2(n-1) +  Θmod2n) and  Σ((Φmod2(n-1) +  Θmod2n)/n) for n -inf to inf and 0 to inf, -inf to 0.

As the observation of these states and their nature dictate (or perhaps just the model of their nature predicts), they collapse into a single state, |θ>.  And so we see, |θ> = (Σ |i>)/n where |i> is the alternating of states comprised of  Θ and  Φ.   

In addition, it would create a field equivalent to the infinite earth gaussian gravitational field as described abstractly below:

However, this discussion is about maps.  I think we should return to that topic as these details are irrelevant.  Their possibility of existing is the only relevance.  That alone falls the philosophical hammer.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:30:11 AM by John Davis »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2012, 09:50:55 AM »

What am I accounting for that is false and untrue?

Your model is based on the assumption that the earth is a globe. It's not.

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2012, 10:28:11 AM »
Like I said, they aren't meant to be accurate, they are meant to convey the basic principle. 

The term I use for it in my work is abstracted states vs concrete states. 

I call this phenomenon the universe-view state collapse. 

The universe exists in an infinite amount of  “states.”  Each of these can be represented as a space of vectors of information and qualities corresponding to all the mass in the earth (or even universe) and other relevant data.  We will those spaces as |i>.  Said states comprising the space are alternate in series between states where the Earth has the geographic south pole at the geographic center of the disk, and those in which it has the geographic north pole in the geographic center of the disk.   The state class with the north pole geographically in the center is denoted by Φ, and that with the south pole geographically centered is denoted by Θ.  Consider Σ(Φmod2(n-1) +  Θmod2n) and  Σ((Φmod2(n-1) +  Θmod2n)/n) for n -inf to inf and 0 to inf, -inf to 0.

As the observation of these states and their nature dictate (or perhaps just the model of their nature predicts), they collapse into a single state, |θ>.  And so we see, |θ> = (Σ |i>)/n where |i> is the alternating of states comprised of  Θ and  Φ.   

In addition, it would create a field equivalent to the infinite earth gaussian gravitational field as described abstractly below:

However, this discussion is about maps.  I think we should return to that topic as these details are irrelevant.  Their possibility of existing is the only relevance.  That alone falls the philosophical hammer.

I'm sorry but you're going to have to explain some things here.

Firstly why is this a 'fractal' problem and if it is a fractal problem what is the fractal dimension?

Secondly if you take the limit of the boundary conditions you've proposed here:

Consider Σ(Φmod2(n-1) +  Θmod2n) and  Σ((Φmod2(n-1) +  Θmod2n)/n) for n -inf to inf and 0 to inf, -inf to 0.

You don't get a converging series you get a diverging one. You've also reiterated the boundary condition twice.

Thirdly how will that relate to a flat earth and where did that equation come from? It needs more justification.

This part:

Is misleading because you haven't used the volumetric density. You've also used 4pi which is a normalisation factor used for a sphere, not a disc.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:29:52 AM by DDDDAts all folks »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2012, 10:39:08 AM »
This part:

is misleading because you haven't used the volumetric density. You've also used 4pi which is a normalisation factor used for a sphere, not a disc.

That is based on Gauss's Law of gravity.

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2012, 11:07:02 AM »
This part:

is misleading because you haven't used the volumetric density. You've also used 4pi which is a normalisation factor used for a sphere, not a disc.

I'm not saying it's wrong, it just doesn't explain anything. The 4pi factor also needs defining because that is used to scale (normalise the equations) the force of gravity radiating as a spheroid. If you have a planar surface then why would the force of gravity radiate spherically?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:11:52 AM by DDDDAts all folks »

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2012, 11:38:45 AM »
Markjo just defined it for you, read his link.  (1) is Gauss's law verbatim.  It is used here to illustrate the gravitational pull of an infinite plane or a plane with configuration similar to that discussed above.  Also, you can not know whether the series is converging or diverging without knowing   Θ and  Φ.  I am also not proposing a limit in the first place, but an infinite series as should be apparent and is just presented for consideration, that is all.

Like I've repeated many times already, this is not a fractal problem.  I will discontinue use of this phrasing from now on.  It is clearly causing more trouble than good among those unfamiliar or familiar with mathematics.   

Though, really, this is all off topic and irrelevant.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2012, 11:39:23 AM »

I'm not saying it's wrong, it just doesn't explain anything. The 4pi factor also needs defining because that is used to scale (normalise the equations) the force of gravity radiating as a spheroid. If you have a planar surface then why would the force of gravity radiate spherically?

Basically, Gauss's Law is a derivation of Newton's Law of gravity that can be applied to a finite section of an infinite plane with finite thickness.  That's probably where the 4 pi comes from.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:40:58 AM by markjo »

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2012, 11:47:11 AM »

Basically, Gauss's Law is a derivation of Newton's Law of gravity that can be applied to a finite section of an infinite plane with finite thickness.  That's probably where the 4 pi comes from.

The 4pi comes from the fact that a point radiates gravity as a spheroid. In the case of an infinite (in one direction) plane the points of gravity radiating as a spheroid integrate (within a closed surface) to radiate as a cylinder. If the plane was infinite in all directions then it would radiate normal to the plane.

So from that are you saying the earth is an infinite plane?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:52:04 AM by DDDDAts all folks »

« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2012, 11:50:40 AM »
Markjo just defined it for you, read his link.  (1) is Gauss's law verbatim.  It is used here to illustrate the gravitational pull of an infinite plane or a plane with configuration similar to that discussed above.  Also, you can not know whether the series is converging or diverging without knowing   Θ and  Φ.  I am also not proposing a limit in the first place, but an infinite series as should be apparent and is just presented for consideration, that is all.

Like I've repeated many times already, this is not a fractal problem.  I will discontinue use of this phrasing from now on.  It is clearly causing more trouble than good among those unfamiliar or familiar with mathematics.   

Though, really, this is all off topic and irrelevant.

For this to be true both  Θ and  Φ need to vary according to the parameter n. You've also reiterated the same bounds twice.

I'm also trying to figure out why you've used the term 'fractals' in the first place.