Presidential Debates Should Be Hosted on Internet Forums

• 17 Replies

Trekky0623

• Official Member
Presidential Debates Should Be Hosted on Internet Forums
« on: April 24, 2012, 07:37:56 AM »
Think about it. In a live debate, a lot of the focus is on charisma and persuading people. Is that really the most important aspect we should be focusing on? When you debate in writing, you have time to gather sources and arguments between posts, making debates rely much more on using facts to convince rather than charisma.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Re: Presidential Debates Should Be Hosted on Internet Forums
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 07:48:27 AM »
If you delay the response, you give the debater time to come up with more bull shit.  Not that they don't give us bull shit to begin with.  Just saying.

Lorddave

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 08:34:44 AM »
Also:
Takes longer to answer and you open the door to a flood of questions with no filter.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 10:42:29 AM »
We had a 'presidential' kind of debate for the leaders of the political parties in the last general election.

I really hope they don't do it again. Parties should be chosen on their policies and values not on whether the leader is good at debating (arguing).

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 11:14:36 AM »
I'd be in favor of this. More can be covered in a post than a live reply and it'd be easier to call someone out on their bs

?

Thork

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 11:22:02 AM »
You'd have people like 'The Knowledge' spamming the threads with nonsense like "He's not a real Republican. None of them are. He's a troll.", ClockTower equivalents bawwwing "So you can't actually prove that you want to spend more on health care? Noted." and the likes of Chris spaghetti "But what about all the poor vegetarian lesbian voters who want to have abortions? agggghhhh *rage* !!!! >o<". It'd be a mess.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 11:24:03 AM by Thork »

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 08:28:32 PM »
You'd have people like 'The Knowledge' spamming the threads with nonsense like "He's not a real Republican. None of them are. He's a troll.", ClockTower equivalents bawwwing "So you can't actually prove that you want to spend more on health care? Noted." and the likes of Chris spaghetti "But what about all the poor vegetarian lesbian voters who want to have abortions? agggghhhh *rage* !!!! >o<". It'd be a mess.

Not to mention Thork queefing everywhere.

rooster

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 09:48:15 PM »
Speaking of queefing....

I like the live debates. You get to see how much they actually know about their position, their ability to keep cool under pressure, and their reasoning skills. You really get to see a dumbass be a dumbass and a smarty pants be a smarty pants.

?

Thork

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 11:37:50 PM »
Speaking of queefing....

I like the live debates. You get to see how much they actually know about their position, their ability to keep cool under pressure, and their reasoning skills. You really get to see a dumbass be a dumbass and a smarty pants be a smarty pants.
And yet you voted Bush. Twice.

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 11:45:25 PM »
Speaking of queefing....

How did Bush do in those debates?

I'm genuinely intrigued, because I can't imagine it was any good.

rooster

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 08:06:31 AM »
Speaking of queefing....

I wasn't old enough to vote then...

Rushy

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 08:09:19 AM »
Speaking of queefing....

>2012
>People still convincing themselves that Bush was not intelligent

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 08:13:25 AM »
Speaking of queefing....

>2012
>People still convincing themselves that Bush was not intelligent

Nobody said anything about Bush being unintelligent.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 08:18:23 AM »
Bush was not intelligent.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 08:25:11 AM »
We had a 'presidential' kind of debate for the leaders of the political parties in the last general election.

I really hope they don't do it again. Parties should be chosen on their policies and values not on whether the leader is good at debating (arguing).

I hope they don't do it again because it fosters this nonsense idea that we vote for the PM and feeds the sort of idiots who used to 'argue' that "Waahhh we never voted for Gordon Brown!!!!!11!!"

The only useful leaders debates would be between the different potential leaders of the parties (e.g. Ed and david Milliband) and then, only to registered members of the party.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 11:52:34 AM »
I think constituency-level debates held in the local church hall or something (sort of like Question Time) would be a good idea, but the PM's debate is a bit pointless.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 05:26:58 AM by Hazbollah »
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 05:11:44 PM »
Actually, I disagree with this suggestion.  I can see the logic behind it, that we shouldn't value style over substance, but that is human nature.  Maybe if we could change human nature so that everyone was perfectly logical, it would be a good idea, but we obviously can't.  So simply having the right plans and the right positions on issues isn't enough to make someone a good president.  To a certain degree, a successful president does have to be charismatic, as well as good at negotiation and persuasion.  They will be dealing with the American people, other politicians, and other countries.  You can't just plow through that with "But I'm right about the issues!"

Interestingly enough, that's something that Ron Paul fanboys don't seem to understand.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 07:55:29 PM »

Not to mention Thork queefing everywhere.

Not if peons weren't given permission to post in the debate threads