A few quick questions

• 6 Replies
A few quick questions
« on: April 11, 2012, 06:22:54 PM »
This has probably been asked before, but I am new to Flat Earth Theory so I have a few quick questions.  If the earth is flat how far do theorists propose a person would have to drill into the ground before they reach outer space?  Also in the theory is flat taken literally; is the Earth believed to be two dimensional?  If not, what shape does the theory suggest the earth actually is?  Thanks for the help!

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
Re: A few quick questions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 07:00:49 PM »
This has probably been asked before, but I am new to Flat Earth Theory so I have a few quick questions.  If the earth is flat how far do theorists propose a person would have to drill into the ground before they reach outer space?  Also in the theory is flat taken literally; is the Earth believed to be two dimensional?  If not, what shape does the theory suggest the earth actually is?  Thanks for the help!

We have absolutely no idea how thick the Earth is, but it's probably quite. And obviously it isn't two dimensional; that wouldn't make sense. It's approximately a cylinder according to most theories.

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 07:04:42 PM »

We have absolutely no idea how thick the Earth is, but it's probably quite. And obviously it isn't two dimensional; that wouldn't make sense. It's approximately a cylinder according to most theories.
To clarify that 'no idea', I would point out the Davis model predicts its depth given an expected FE density.

An infinite slab has depth too...
I wonder if the depth is infinite too. You can't know in any way that.

In Johns model of FE gravity, that's impossible...

Knowing the value of g and estimating the mean density of the slab should allow you to calculate the thickness, shouldn't it?  I want to think that John calculated it to be around 7000 miles or so, but I could be wrong about that.

Yes something like that, probably a bit less. I get about 3000 miles for a mean mass density of 4.5 g/cm3.

Although I like Johns FE gravitational model, because it is the only thing on this site (as far as I have seen it) that has some physical basis, I don't think the whole setup would be very stable. You give it a strong earthquake, and the slab starts to collapse. At least, that's my intuition. I think I'll try to calculate it when I find time...

Furthermore, all models accept a lower limit based on successful drilling.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:35:52 PM by ClockTower »
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 07:17:40 PM »
Thanks for the clarification

iWitness

• If the earth is round then what is your problem?
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 08:45:40 AM »
Thanks for the clarification

There have already been deep drilling operations and supposedly it gets so hot and molten that the drills and drill any more. Just search google for deep drilling or deepest drill.

I don't think you would ever pop out to the other side because something is obviously supporting the earth if not we would be falling or being sucked downwards. Since the earth is perfectly flat I can only conclude that things are stable and resting on something otherwise the earth would not be flat.

Because even if Universal acceleration is true (which I don't believe in btw), there would be a tremendous force on the bottom of the earth pushing things upwards. If you drilled to the point of reaching that force it would probably blow everything to smithereens.

Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 12:00:45 PM »
Because even if Universal acceleration is true (which I don't believe in btw), there would be a tremendous force on the bottom of the earth pushing things upwards. If you drilled to the point of reaching that force it would probably blow everything to smithereens.
Nope. Most, but not all, FEers don't believe that the UA is pushing on only the bottom of the FE. In particular, reference Steve's crazy dark energy explanation for Bendy Light.
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 02:37:22 PM »
Nope. Most, but not all, FEers don't believe that the UA is pushing on only the bottom of the FE. In particular, reference Steve's crazy dark energy explanation for Bendy Light.

Please take care to always mention that it's been disproved when referencing bendy light. We don't want newcomers thinking it's still a viable theory.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.