I was reading in my dream.

• 39 Replies

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
I was reading in my dream.
« on: April 01, 2012, 11:32:54 AM »
I heard somewhere this wasn't possible. I feel lied to.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: I was reading in my dream.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 11:46:40 AM »
I heard somewhere this wasn't possible. I feel lied to.
You should ask dann about this.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

?

Around And About

• Circular Logic Falls Flat
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 11:50:05 AM »
As I understand it, it should be possible for short strings of text, but the text should usually be hazy and quick to change if you look away or lose focus.
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 12:10:25 PM »
As I understand it, it should be possible for short strings of text, but the text should usually be hazy and quick to change if you look away or lose focus.

At first, I was having trouble focusing, but I forced myself to pay attention since the dream environment demanded it.

I was back in grade school (but with all the knowledge I currently possessed), and I read a large passage consisting of 4 decent sized paragraphs, and explain it in front of the class. I had to interpret it as well. Losing interest or focus in the reading was not an option and I forced clarity from it.

I explain how the passage's meaning could be simplified to the notion that present shallow unhappiness can be a catalyst for future true happiness. I ended up citing a deleted scene from Bruce Almighty to help explain my interpretation that "when painting a pretty picture you need to use some dark colors". However, I realized on the way back to the seat, Bruce Almighty had not come out yet, which allowed me to deduce I was dreaming and made me wake up.

Perhaps people who think it can't be done had tried to read in their dreams, but lacked the proper motivation to see it through. I probably wouldn't have read anything if I had trouble focusing.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 12:13:42 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Rushy

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »
Apparently dreaming in color is supposed to be rare, but I do it all the time.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 12:49:01 PM »
Apparently dreaming in color is supposed to be rare, but I do it all the time.
Apparently dreaming in color is supposed to be rare
wat

Where do you people hear these stupid things?
Recently listened to:

Lorddave

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 12:51:44 PM »
Meh.
A dream is just your imagination going crazy.  I fail to see how reading or color dreaming should be difficult.  Especially since you can fill in the details without realizing it after you wake up.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 01:30:38 PM »
Meh.
A dream is just your imagination going crazy.  I fail to see how reading or color dreaming should be difficult.  Especially since you can fill in the details without realizing it after you wake up.

I'd imagine any details you fill in aren't what you are concentrating on.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 01:49:19 PM »
Meh.

Or maybe you were pretty much babbling nonsensically in the dream and you pieced it into something coherent afterwards. More than once I've retroactively inserted a narrative into what, on later examination, was just a series of unrelated events in a dream.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 02:00:52 PM »
Dreaming in color used to be rare, but color television has made it much more common than it was.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 02:30:54 PM »
Meh.

Or maybe you were pretty much babbling nonsensically in the dream and you pieced it into something coherent afterwards.

I find this extremely unlikely, but it is impossible to prove or deny. As a scientist, I must reserve that as possibility, but suggesting my clear memory of coherency and meaning were rewritten and never occurred is a very frustrating notion. I am as certain, as I can be, that I spoke intelligible words and formed clear thoughts within the confines of my dream.

Perhaps engaging those part of my brain, which are normally dormant while unconscious, relies both on exercising it (linguistic expression and literary skills), as well as deliberate focus. I know coming here helps the former.

I also can't recall any details aside from the text of paper while I was reading it. I don't remember wrinkles, a sensation of touch, any indication I was holding it with my hands, or the carpet that would have been behind it from being in that room. If my brain was going to revise my memory, I would expect those details which can be known from before and after I was reading and I could not dispute with myself, to be ones that get filled in.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 02:36:05 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 02:39:50 PM »
Meh.

Or maybe you were pretty much babbling nonsensically in the dream and you pieced it into something coherent afterwards.

I find this extremely unlikely, but it is impossible to prove or deny. As a scientist, I must reserve that as possibility, but suggesting my clear memory of coherency and meaning were rewritten and never occurred is a very frustrating notion. I am as certain, as I can be, that I spoke intelligible words and formed clear thoughts within the confines of my dream.

Perhaps engaging those part of my brain, which are normally dormant while unconscious, relies both on exercising it (linguistic expression and literary skills), as well as deliberate focus. I know coming here helps the former.

I also can't recall any details aside from the text of paper while I was reading it. I don't remember wrinkles, a sensation of touch, any indication I was holding it with my hands, or the carpet that would have been behind it from being in that room. If my brain was going to revise my memory, I would expect those details which can be known from before and after I was reading and I could not dispute with myself, to be ones that get filled in.

Can you remember such sensations from a real memory? When you wake up tomorrow, try to recall details from tonight's dream and see if they make sense. I assure you they won't, unless you go lucid.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 02:44:53 PM »
Can you remember such sensations from a real memory?
Yes. I'm a very visual spacial thinker. As long as I can remember a conversation I had with people in real life, I can tell you where we were, what we were doing, what direction people were facing who was sitting/standing, et cetera.

I don't have an eidetic memory, but I found "lost" keys by thinking about the arrangements of items in a room I'm not in.

I assure you they won't, unless you go lucid.
I was lucid in this dream. As I was forcing myself to think about things, I made deductions from the things I was thinking about. One of those deductions was that I was sleeping.

Whenever I realize I am sleeping, I wake up. It sucks.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 02:47:10 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 02:53:17 PM »
Can you remember such sensations from a real memory?
Yes. I'm a very visual spacial thinker. As long as I can remember a conversation I had with people in real life, I can tell you where we were, what we were doing, what direction people were facing who was sitting/standing, et cetera.

I don't have an eidetic memory, but I found "lost" keys by thinking about the arrangements of items in a room I'm not in.

Sensations. The wrinkles in the paper, the weight of it in your hand. I get what you mean about the visual part, I can reconstruct most rooms I know well in my head down to the shadows, but sensation is much more difficult.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 10:50:12 PM »
Reading in a dream is something I do often. It's difficult to make out the words at times. They are hard to focus on until you concentrate really hard.

I also dream in color and have died many times.  The whole, you die in a dream you'll die for real thing is dumb when you think about it.  When was the last time you've heard a doctor say someone's cause of death was them dying in a dream?  And even if it was possible, who would be able to tell someone that it happened?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:13:25 PM by Pongo »

Rushy

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 11:22:05 PM »
I also dream in color and have died many times.  The whole, you die in a dream you'll die for real thing is dumb when you think about it.  When was the last time you've heard a doctor say someone's cause of death was them dying in a dream?  And even if it was possible, who would be able to tell someone that it happened?

Never heard anyone say that, but this reminded me of a strange fact: I'm immortal in all of my dreams. I have multiple dreams that end up turning lucid because I'll be stabbed, shot, fall from tall heights, etc. Only to not wake up, but to still be in the dream and realize "oh shit I can't die!"

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 11:26:14 PM »

Never heard anyone say that, but this reminded me of a strange fact: I'm immortal in all of my dreams. I have multiple dreams that end up turning lucid because I'll be stabbed, shot, fall from tall heights, etc. Only to not wake up, but to still be in the dream and realize "oh shit I can't die!"

Pics or it didn't happen.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 12:27:58 AM »
Sensations. The wrinkles in the paper, the weight of it in your hand.
Ah. Yeah you're right, I don't recall those things nearly as well. (I can re-imagine them but that's not the same as recalling them.)

I've never felt pain in a dream, so I can see this happening quite easily.

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 01:53:24 AM »
I dreamt that I was in a room full of girls to fuck.
Cheesus is so wise I sometimes think he's my alt.
CheesusCrust is wise.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 05:07:34 AM »
Too bad they were actually guise.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 05:25:36 AM »
Keep dreaming.
Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 05:36:06 AM »
Too bad they were actually guise.

They were not, I assure you. I am in full control of my dreams and all of my sensation in it were real, including the warm sensation of my dick entirely inside their vagos.
Cheesus is so wise I sometimes think he's my alt.
CheesusCrust is wise.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 05:40:28 AM »
I once dreamt I was a man having sex. It was awesome. I wish I was man, sex is so much better as a man than a woman.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 11:24:16 AM »

At first, I was having trouble focusing, but I forced myself to pay attention since the dream environment demanded it.

I was back in grade school (but with all the knowledge I currently possessed), and I read a large passage consisting of 4 decent sized paragraphs, and explain it in front of the class. I had to interpret it as well. Losing interest or focus in the reading was not an option and I forced clarity from it.

I explain how the passage's meaning could be simplified to the notion that present shallow unhappiness can be a catalyst for future true happiness. I ended up citing a deleted scene from Bruce Almighty to help explain my interpretation that "when painting a pretty picture you need to use some dark colors". However, I realized on the way back to the seat, Bruce Almighty had not come out yet, which allowed me to deduce I was dreaming and made me wake up.

Perhaps people who think it can't be done had tried to read in their dreams, but lacked the proper motivation to see it through. I probably wouldn't have read anything if I had trouble focusing.

I had weird dreams like that when I was on the patch.  Are you on the patch?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 11:34:16 AM »
I didn't realise there were so many powerful oneiromancers here at FES.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 11:36:28 AM »
I once dreamt I was a man having sex. It was awesome. I wish I was man, sex is so much better as a man than a woman.

He is not doing it right.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 12:22:22 PM »

Men rarely do.
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 02:05:29 PM »

Men rarely do.

Burn.

?

Around And About

• Circular Logic Falls Flat
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 02:21:51 PM »
Is it supposed to go in the bum?
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 03:42:00 AM »
Yes.