A Friendly Chat

• 3828 Replies
?

Nomad

• Official Member
Re: A Friendly Chat
« Reply #690 on: November 28, 2012, 08:49:55 PM »
One man's trash is an archaeologist's treasure thousands of years from now.

[edit]Had it right the first time
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 08:51:51 PM by Nomad »
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

rooster

« Reply #691 on: November 28, 2012, 08:50:29 PM »
One man's trash is an archaeologist's treasure thousands of years from now.
Or even a week from now.

« Reply #692 on: November 29, 2012, 12:09:28 AM »
so i've been working on a garbology research project with a partner for my archaeology class (we have to survey trash on campus and whatnot). ANYWAY, when my partner was supposed to provide some hand-drawn detail maps and a portion of the narrative, bitch drops off the face of the earth! I’ve been trying to get ahold of her since yesterday and the deadline was 5pm today. yippee! first and last time i ever depend on a partner. TOO BAD THIS IS RIGHT BEFORE GRADUATION.
then i was an accidental no call, no show at work and have a week suspension. I'M POOR AND SCREWED.

my life is the best  ;D

Talk to your prof tell them the issues you're having and ask if they can get hold of her.

It not only makes them aware of the issues you're having but it also makes them aware that something may have happened to her.

rooster

« Reply #693 on: November 29, 2012, 12:19:51 PM »
so i've been working on a garbology research project with a partner for my archaeology class (we have to survey trash on campus and whatnot). ANYWAY, when my partner was supposed to provide some hand-drawn detail maps and a portion of the narrative, bitch drops off the face of the earth! I’ve been trying to get ahold of her since yesterday and the deadline was 5pm today. yippee! first and last time i ever depend on a partner. TOO BAD THIS IS RIGHT BEFORE GRADUATION.
then i was an accidental no call, no show at work and have a week suspension. I'M POOR AND SCREWED.

my life is the best  ;D

Talk to your prof tell them the issues you're having and ask if they can get hold of her.

It not only makes them aware of the issues you're having but it also makes them aware that something may have happened to her.
I emailed the professor already but she never responded. Class is tomorrow so I'll just have to talk to her about in person I suppose.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #694 on: November 29, 2012, 01:12:15 PM »

my life is the best  ;D

I emailed the professor already but she never responded. Class is tomorrow so I'll just have to talk to her about in person I suppose.

Just got a message that one person of my group for a heavy project isn't going to follow the class anymore. Although not so close to deadline as for you, I can sympathise.
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #695 on: November 29, 2012, 08:42:12 PM »
Protip: lecturers often don't believe this stuff, or sort of ignore it. Team assignments are supposed to be about 'the team', so sometimes they'll brush you off if you're peers don't show.

If this is an issue, and the lecturer tells you it's a team assignment and that's just how it is, then as backup I suggest you either forward on or print your emails to this person. It's evidence of your 'pro-activity' and/or their last-minute crap, and might help you out if it's something critical.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #696 on: November 30, 2012, 02:57:59 AM »
Protip: lecturers often don't believe this stuff, or sort of ignore it. Team assignments are supposed to be about 'the team', so sometimes they'll brush you off if you're peers don't show.

If this is an issue, and the lecturer tells you it's a team assignment and that's just how it is, then as backup I suggest you either forward on or print your emails to this person. It's evidence of your 'pro-activity' and/or their last-minute crap, and might help you out if it's something critical.

What? All professors I've had are very understanding when someone dicks out.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #697 on: November 30, 2012, 06:20:00 AM »
I used to bartend in a college down and after a drink or two, the professors would delight each other in the "lies" students told to get out of work. Sometimes they were obviously lies, a student saying he was suffering from jet lag despite not leaving the time zone, others were a bit grayer, a student missing a test because of a flat. Students do lie to get out of work and flat tires do happen from time to time. Regardless, the professors assumed that they were all lies.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #698 on: November 30, 2012, 07:42:01 AM »
I used to bartend in a college down and after a drink or two, the professors would delight each other in the "lies" students told to get out of work. Sometimes they were obviously lies, a student saying he was suffering from jet lag despite not leaving the time zone, others were a bit grayer, a student missing a test because of a flat. Students do lie to get out of work and flat tires do happen from time to time. Regardless, the professors assumed that they were all lies.

I hate those liars. I've had occasions that my printer actually broke, but no ones ever going to believe that.

?

Thork

« Reply #699 on: November 30, 2012, 08:34:41 AM »
Today I started learning to dolphin kick. I'd always ignored this in the past as it wasn't worth the effort putting in one kick off the wall. But I want to learn butterfly properly and its an integral part of it.

Anyway today I actually felt like I was doing it and it was propelling me rather quickly.

#ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Butterfly Dolphin Kick Underwater

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #700 on: November 30, 2012, 09:56:01 AM »
I never learned the turn. It's screwing me over now. Also, butterfly is the shittiest stroke there is.

?

Thork

« Reply #701 on: November 30, 2012, 11:39:37 AM »
Butterfly done properly is the most graceful stroke there is. Done any other way and it looks like you are drowning.

#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Butterfly from Underwater in Slow Motion - Misty Hyman
Unfortunate name, good swimmer.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #702 on: November 30, 2012, 11:47:58 AM »
Butterfly is punishment if you're not sprinting fast enough

rooster

« Reply #703 on: November 30, 2012, 05:05:35 PM »
Well the girl stopped showing up to class so I'm obviously not lying. The professor gave me an extension to do what I can on my own.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #704 on: November 30, 2012, 07:02:37 PM »
Butterfly done properly is the most graceful stroke there is. Done any other way and it looks like you are drowning.

#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Butterfly from Underwater in Slow Motion - Misty Hyman
Unfortunate name, good swimmer.

Jesus Christ, her parents should be shot.  There are just some things you don't do to a kid.  Giving your daughter a funny name just so the other kids don't have to even put any effort into it is the worst kind of cruelty.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #705 on: November 30, 2012, 07:17:47 PM »
It's not as bad as her brother Rusty
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #706 on: November 30, 2012, 08:26:49 PM »
What's so bad about the name "Misty"?

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #707 on: December 01, 2012, 12:29:43 AM »
I was wondering the same thing. 'Rosie' would've been worse. They probably didn't want to go through and change their entire last names.
Recently listened to:

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #708 on: December 01, 2012, 07:39:35 AM »
What could possibly be wrong with a first name that is an adjective invoking wetness coupled with a last name invoking part of the female sexual anatomy?  Sure, Rosie would have been worse, it would have been the ultimate practical joke to play on their poor daughter, but Misty is plenty bad enough.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #709 on: December 01, 2012, 07:51:26 AM »
Why would Rosie be so bad?

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #710 on: December 01, 2012, 08:34:26 AM »
@Roundy: Sure, I agree it could be construed as bad, but only as much as any "y" name (e.g. Harry). Mistiness isn't exactly an adjective I'd ever associate with a hymen, since it'd be kind of strange to describe one as such. I agree they could've done much better, but I don't think it's that horrible.

@Beorn: Think of it as "rosy".
Recently listened to:

?

Thork

« Reply #711 on: December 01, 2012, 08:40:38 AM »
Mistiness isn't exactly an adjective I'd ever associate with a hymen, since it'd be kind of strange to describe one as such.
Well I'd like to give her a misty hymen.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #712 on: December 01, 2012, 09:06:34 AM »
Already posted this in another thread but relevant now

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

?

Thork

« Reply #713 on: December 01, 2012, 09:59:32 AM »
I was wondering the same thing. 'Rosie' would've been worse.
How about Poppy? Or Sandy? Or Virginia?

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #714 on: December 01, 2012, 10:03:31 AM »
I was wondering the same thing. 'Rosie' would've been worse.
How about Poppy? Or Sandy? Or Virginia?

Or Lusemy

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #715 on: December 01, 2012, 11:24:57 AM »
Buster

?

Thork

« Reply #716 on: December 01, 2012, 11:28:21 AM »
Pongo wins

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #717 on: December 04, 2012, 08:34:20 PM »
New computer! My internet's been down for a while, but now it's back up and I have this (my friend sold it to me for $200) and it is so very heart. That includes a new monitor (1600x900, don't know the actual monitor size but that's the resolution), mouse, good speakers and new keyboard. I owe him a lot. Now I can actually take advantage of the 25 mbps internet and use programs and play games and afjksdfjkdjfkdljfl
Recently listened to:

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #718 on: December 04, 2012, 08:38:55 PM »
Wow, I just realized that today makes it two months since I've had a cigarette.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #719 on: December 04, 2012, 08:50:55 PM »
Congratulations! That's really awesome, Roundy. :] Is/was it hard?
Recently listened to: