A Friendly Chat

• 3828 Replies

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
Re: A Friendly Chat
« Reply #450 on: September 23, 2012, 08:02:16 PM »
While they are diverse, the problem I have with them is the lack of creativity. They all seem like robots by design, now. Legendary species no longer have that legendary feel that the ones in the first 251 sets had. A lot just seem to be regurgitated versions of older ones. The only diversity is probably with attack names and stats, but you can pretty much do that with modifiers anyway. I just don't see the point anymore except MAYBE some story.

I definitely agree with the legendary problem, though I think a lot of the way they screwed themselves over with that was how they had to keep making them more and more legendary. Mewtwo was a genetic experiment; Lugia and Ho-Oh were legendary birds; Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza were masters of water, land and sky; Palkia, Dialga, and Giratina control time, space and antimatter; then Arceus was (probably) creator of the entire universe. Where do you go from there?

So yeah, the legendaries have kind of gotten less awe-inspiring and more "well, this is the legendary, I should catch it". Personally, I think either Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald or Diamond/Pearl/Platinum were the last great legendaries, but even by D/P/P the sheen was a bit worn. R/S/E was personally the last series where I was all thrilled about the legendaries.

I agree, they are really biting off more than they can chew and ultimately, the legendary nature should only be topped by Mew. Mew was supposed to be the Legendary Pokemon. Making a new one that supposedly "created the universe" just seems over the top and ruins the creativity of the original in my opinion.

Either way, I just don't enjoy the new ones anymore. They just seem to be trying too hard anymore with a franchise that was once so special.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #451 on: September 23, 2012, 08:12:37 PM »
I agree, they are really biting off more than they can chew and ultimately, the legendary nature should only be topped by Mew. Mew was supposed to be the Legendary Pokemon. Making a new one that supposedly "created the universe" just seems over the top and ruins the creativity of the original in my opinion.

Yeah, that sucks. Mew was always my favourite legendary, and I always thought it was supposed to be the original Pokémon. I wish they'd stuck to making legendaries that were legendary without trying to up the ante each time, since they eventually back themselves into this corner. Maybe even try going a different route for legendaries, you know? Instead of the usual "couple legendaries of x, y, and z elements", try doing something new. I don't know what, but that's because of how formulaic it is now. I'd want to be surprised. Hell, fusions or something even. One legendary that's a new or undefined element. Anything.
Recently listened to:

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #452 on: September 23, 2012, 08:20:04 PM »

Yeah, that sucks. Mew was always my favourite legendary, and I always thought it was supposed to be the original Pokémon. I wish they'd stuck to making legendaries that were legendary without trying to up the ante each time, since they eventually back themselves into this corner. Maybe even try going a different route for legendaries, you know? Instead of the usual "couple legendaries of x, y, and z elements", try doing something new. I don't know what, but that's because of how formulaic it is now. I'd want to be surprised. Hell, fusions or something even. One legendary that's a new or undefined element. Anything.

They wont be able to because now they've essentially ingrained this system of "one upping" the previous ideas into everyone's brains, coupled with the severe competitive nature of the genre, to create something of that nature would defeat the idea of being "the very best" that it promotes by creating these ultimate players.

On a side note, I really liked the original story of how Mewtwo was created by Team Rocket. To me, this was cool because while Mew was supposedly either extinct or simply MIA, having the DNA and modifying it to their needs was really cool. You wont see that level of development again in the series.

Also, the only other thing that bothers me is that these new pokemon are just now being "discovered." Realistically they should have already been known and therefore referenced to. They could have played it off as being "regionalized" to the Kanto/Johto regions and such, as you would have to justify the story to cover the hardware/software limitation at the time. That's just me though.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #453 on: September 23, 2012, 08:55:36 PM »
They wont be able to because now they've essentially ingrained this system of "one upping" the previous ideas into everyone's brains, coupled with the severe competitive nature of the genre, to create something of that nature would defeat the idea of being "the very best" that it promotes by creating these ultimate players.

On a side note, I really liked the original story of how Mewtwo was created by Team Rocket. To me, this was cool because while Mew was supposedly either extinct or simply MIA, having the DNA and modifying it to their needs was really cool. You wont see that level of development again in the series.

Possibly, but I'm pretty optimistic when it comes to Nintendo's games. Maybe they won't, but it's always possible that they will. I mean, they're going to run out of ways to one-up themselves. They pretty much already have with Black & White; I'm not even sure what the stories of these legendaries are, and I don't want to look it up because spoilers. So I guess when I'm done I'll see.

Also, the only other thing that bothers me is that these new pokemon are just now being "discovered." Realistically they should have already been known and therefore referenced to. They could have played it off as being "regionalized" to the Kanto/Johto regions and such, as you would have to justify the story to cover the hardware/software limitation at the time. That's just me though.

I thought it was regionalized? As far as I've known, all of the Pokémon in the newer regions are already known in the region, save for a few of the rarer ones.

Also, for what it's worth, the bad guys in Black & White are actually a lot better than Team Rocket and Team Galactic's generic "capture ALL the Pokémon!" I found myself agreeing with Team Plasma's leader at points, and for once it seems like an enemy that actually has good intentions for what he's doing, albeit misguided. Though the best part is that you could possibly argue he's not misguided and that he is right. He basically wants to free all the Pokémon from their trainers, since he sees it as a master/slave relationship when Pokémon should be able to be free.
Recently listened to:

rooster

« Reply #454 on: September 28, 2012, 09:39:24 PM »
After having heart palpitations throughout the day I went to a walk-in clinic where they hooked me up to a neato EKG. We discovered that I have a potassium deficiency, hooray! Which explains why I sometimes get agonizing calf and foot cramps where my toes stick out in morbid directions while A&A squeezes my foot to help the pain. Perhaps this also explains the sudden onslaught of nausea after the mud run. They took blood to see just how low my levels are and gave me giant potassium and magnesium pills in the meantime. If they can fix my cramps, weakness, and fatigue all in one go then that would make me a very happy girl. Buut, they probably think I have an eating disorder (which I don't) since that's the main known cause.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #455 on: September 28, 2012, 09:42:26 PM »
Sorry to hear about all that, rooster.  Sounds like you need to eat better.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #456 on: September 28, 2012, 09:43:32 PM »
Sounds like you need to eat.

FTFY

trollface.jpg
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

rooster

« Reply #457 on: September 28, 2012, 09:45:07 PM »
Sorry to hear about all that, rooster.  Sounds like you need to eat better.
But I actually eat really well. We mostly eat home cooked meals with protein and veggies, lots of salads too. Definitely not a lot of processed foods.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #458 on: September 28, 2012, 09:50:53 PM »
Well it's good you got it figured out Roos Roos.  I'm always afraid when I'm not feeling right that if I go to the doc they'll think I'm just full of shit, so I just assume I'm fine.  Opposite of hypochondria i guess; hyperchondria?  Either way I could have avoided a lot of problems if I had my foot checked out before I finally did.  Oh well.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #459 on: September 28, 2012, 09:51:32 PM »
I am not a doctor or anything like that, so take my advise with a grain of salt. 

rooster

« Reply #460 on: September 28, 2012, 09:56:38 PM »
Well it's good you got it figured out Roos Roos.  I'm always afraid when I'm not feeling right that if I go to the doc they'll think I'm just full of shit, so I just assume I'm fine.  Opposite of hypochondria i guess; hyperchondria?  Either way I could have avoided a lot of problems if I had my foot checked out before I finally did.  Oh well.
I do the same thing. I debated whether I was just overreacting for the longest time but the palpitations eventually got too annoying and uncomfortable. I'm still experiencing them, quite worrying really. I hope I dun have a heart attack.  :(

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #461 on: September 28, 2012, 10:00:35 PM »
I do the same thing. I debated whether I was just overreacting for the longest time but the palpitations eventually got too annoying and uncomfortable. I'm still experiencing them, quite worrying really. I hope I dun have a heart attack.  :(

Palpitations are common.  I think I read that half of the population gets them.  I get them and it used to scare me.  I get them less when I stay away from caffeine and when I do not drink too much alcohol.

rooster

« Reply #462 on: September 28, 2012, 10:07:43 PM »

Palpitations are common.  I think I read that half of the population gets them.  I get them and it used to scare me.  I get them less when I stay away from caffeine and when I do not drink too much alcohol.
Sure, this morning I thought it was just my coffee but my heart has been beating hard all day. It's very uncomfortable, plus the EKG was actually abnormal due to low potassium. In severe cases it can lead to cardiac arrest, I just don't know how severe it is for me yet. :(

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #463 on: September 28, 2012, 10:12:33 PM »
Do you get panic attacks too?

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #464 on: September 29, 2012, 01:19:43 AM »
You should go to the doctor, Roos. I usually overreact in the same way you guys do, but it's best to be wrong and be told you're fine than have something wrong and not find out.

I went to my first rave today. My feelings are mixed. On one hand, the music and energy were awesome. On the other hand, there were skimpily-dressed dancers on stage, people grinding in the audience as it got late...and some guy grabbed my butt and then hit on me. Seeing as I am not a social person and incredibly socially awkward, this is just about the worst situation I could have possibly been put in. Through the jumbled, stuttery mess I call "talking" he eventually got the message and thankfully left without a fight.

Also, all the drunk people. I don't like being around drunk people. I was one of the few sober people there.

But yeah, other than those bits it could've been awesome. :( Everything was horribly awkward and uncomfortable once people started grinding, so I probably wouldn't stay five hours if I went again. It all felt a bit too sleazy for me.
Recently listened to:

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #465 on: September 29, 2012, 01:29:08 AM »
Hope you're ok roos roos
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

Thork

« Reply #466 on: September 29, 2012, 01:50:47 AM »
After having heart palpitations throughout the day
You need to stop looking through my facebook photos.

I went to a walk-in clinic where they hooked me up to a neato EKG.
Oh, is this another transatlantic thing for me to learn? What does EKG stand for? In the UK we get an ECG which stands for Electrocardiogram.

We discovered that I have a potassium deficiency, hooray! Which explains why I sometimes get agonizing calf and foot cramps where my toes stick out in morbid directions while A&A squeezes my foot to help the pain.
Eat a banana every day whether you like them or not. Job done.

Lay off the caffeine and keep your salt sensible. Also make sure you are well hydrated.

And don't die. :-\

?

Thork

« Reply #467 on: September 29, 2012, 01:51:49 AM »
I went to my first rave today. My feelings are mixed. On one hand, the music and energy were awesome. On the other hand, there were skimpily-dressed dancers on stage, people grinding in the audience as it got late...and some guy grabbed my butt and then hit on me. Seeing as I am not a social person and incredibly socially awkward, this is just about the worst situation I could have possibly been put in. Through the jumbled, stuttery mess I call "talking" he eventually got the message and thankfully left without a fight.

Also, all the drunk people. I don't like being around drunk people. I was one of the few sober people there.

But yeah, other than those bits it could've been awesome. :( Everything was horribly awkward and uncomfortable once people started grinding, so I probably wouldn't stay five hours if I went again. It all felt a bit too sleazy for me.
This however, deserves a thread of its own. One moment please ...

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #468 on: September 29, 2012, 01:58:28 AM »
Oh, is this another transatlantic thing for me to learn? What does EKG stand for? In the UK we get an ECG which stands for Electrocardiogram.

EKG stands for Elektrokardiogramm. Not even kidding.
Recently listened to:

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #469 on: September 29, 2012, 02:00:28 AM »
Its EKG over here
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

Thork

« Reply #470 on: September 29, 2012, 02:12:06 AM »

What's with the 'k' abuse? There is no 'k' in the word Electric, no k in cardio pertaining to heart such as cardiovascular and cardiac arrest. And then a redundant 'm' at the end. This is just abuse of English for the sake of it, surely?

In fact it sounds German.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 02:23:32 AM by Thork »

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #471 on: September 29, 2012, 02:18:00 AM »

What's with the 'k' abuse? There is no 'k' in the word Electric, no k in cardio pertaining to heart such as cardiovascular and cardiac arrest. And then a redundant 'm' at the end. This is just abuse of English for the sake of it, surely?

It's German, actually. I have no idea why we're using the German spelling.
Recently listened to:

?

Thork

« Reply #472 on: September 29, 2012, 02:24:02 AM »
Oh, beat me to it. Yes, German. You've done that just to be awkward, haven't you. :(

rooster

« Reply #473 on: September 29, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
After having heart palpitations throughout the day
You need to stop looking through my facebook photos.

We discovered that I have a potassium deficiency, hooray! Which explains why I sometimes get agonizing calf and foot cramps where my toes stick out in morbid directions while A&A squeezes my foot to help the pain.
Eat a banana every day whether you like them or not. Job done.

Lay off the caffeine and keep your salt sensible. Also make sure you are well hydrated.

And don't die. :-\
I eat a banana everyday. Reading about it online, I found out that the deficiency doesn't come from a diet. I don't eat a lot of salt either unless I'm having some poopy cheap Asian noodle thing. I do have a cup of coffee every morning for the past 3 years... I'm sure it's not that bit of caffiene. My deficiency may just finally be catching up to me due to the prolonged exercise and constant stress of school and work. My heart is still pounding today. My grandfather and great grandfather both died of heartattacks and I started wondering if maybe deficiencies could run in the family and if maybe that's what caused their heart problems. I know my grandfather wasn't fat or that old when he died.

I agree that raves are sleazy, Supes.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #474 on: September 29, 2012, 02:27:56 PM »
I agree that raves are sleazy, Supes.

but ur sposed 2 sex up evry1 in site end do all da ppl ur yung u shald b random sexing
Recently listened to:

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #475 on: September 29, 2012, 02:32:35 PM »
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #476 on: September 30, 2012, 06:00:08 AM »
You will die if you eat some poopy cheap Asian noodle thing.

Hello MSG by the boat loads.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #477 on: October 01, 2012, 11:44:16 PM »
The internet went out for a bit and I started to clean up my room, was about to just go through and completely clean it up for the first time in a while.

Then I fixed the internet.
Recently listened to:

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #478 on: October 01, 2012, 11:55:07 PM »
Internet is moar important than cleaning your room.

It is my birthday but the Glorious Leader did not give me a birthday lie in :( she didn't even make me breakfast in bed *sigh*

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #479 on: October 02, 2012, 12:08:50 AM »
Aww, happy birthday Gayer! I hope you have an awesome birthday that's filled with awesomeness and non-dead dictators and not having to clean up after a child and lots of beds and breakfast and food and chocolate and Cock and counting and numbers and stuff you like in general. :D
Recently listened to: