A Friendly Chat

• 3857 Replies

gnuarm

Re: A Friendly Chat
« Reply #3840 on: May 19, 2024, 11:06:22 PM »
This is why the plantain is a go-to vegetable in Puerto Rico.  It is one of the few crops that grows very readily there and takes less effort than many other crops.  The problem is, it is one of the least nutritious vegetables you could pick.  But they love it and have it at nearly every meal. 

We have a ton of plantains! Our plantains are an herb bush. They grow like weeds in many areas near here, but I don't know anybody that tends them or uses them for food or medicine, though the natives did historically.
I imagine you could probably convince the banana/plantain you are thinking of to grow here, but it is quite dry here, and it would need lots of attention.

Ok, thanks for the info.  Where is "here"?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #3841 on: May 20, 2024, 06:33:29 AM »
The crop I have the most luck with is any variety of southern peas. They don't seem to mind the rainy season, but other veggies turn to mush.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #3842 on: May 20, 2024, 09:06:11 AM »
The crop I have the most luck with is any variety of southern peas. They don't seem to mind the rainy season, but other veggies turn to mush.
I have the opposite problem with heat and dryness. I have debated installing misters, but it would turn into more of a project than it already is.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #3843 on: June 04, 2024, 01:38:45 AM »
Space Cowgirl is about to mow the garden down for the summer!

I just cut the grass today!

Now I have blisters on my thumb so I won't be doing that again.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #3844 on: June 04, 2024, 06:34:44 AM »
Hey! How have you been? Besides the blisters!
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #3845 on: June 13, 2024, 09:33:36 AM »
Well I finished school, just got my work placement to do in the autumn and then I graduate. Got good grades too, top for every subject except one, and one that hasn't been graded yet but will probably be top grade as well.

On the downside, I'm really anaemic right now, my ferritin is 4 which is so much lower than its ever been. Need to get an iron infusion.

How are you?
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #3846 on: June 13, 2024, 12:08:50 PM »

Well done Gayer!
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #3847 on: June 13, 2024, 12:13:14 PM »
Wow, congrats on all the excellent school stuff!

I'm alright, I miss the winter. It's so fucking hot already  >:(

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #3848 on: June 13, 2024, 05:30:01 PM »
Well I finished school, just got my work placement to do in the autumn and then I graduate. Got good grades too, top for every subject except one, and one that hasn't been graded yet but will probably be top grade as well.

On the downside, I'm really anaemic right now, my ferritin is 4 which is so much lower than its ever been. Need to get an iron infusion.

Congratulations, Colonel!

You must eat more dirt. Or silverware.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #3849 on: June 13, 2024, 09:53:54 PM »
iron comes from cast iron pans = Fe
not silveware = Ag

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #3850 on: June 14, 2024, 02:10:00 AM »
I'm not going to eat dirt or cast iron pans, thank you very much.

I'm quite proud of myself for doing so well in school, considering I have no mechanical background or anything like that. And I even got 90% in my physics exam, when almost everyone else failed, same with electric theory. And passed the last two big exams first time, when again almost everyone else failed. Just have one essay exam to resit in the autumn, because I forgot a few key words that they base the marks on.

Perhaps my class is just dumb though.

gnuarm

« Reply #3851 on: June 14, 2024, 06:57:34 AM »
I'm not going to eat dirt or cast iron pans, thank you very much.

Silver is very seldom used in silverware in everyday use.  "Silverware" is a generic term for flatware.  It is virtually always stainless steel, with a high iron content.  The iron dissolves in very small amounts, and is consumed with the food.  Same with iron or steel pots and pans. 

Very few people recommend eating dirt. 

« Reply #3852 on: June 14, 2024, 10:26:03 AM »
few people are scientists

eat dirt!

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/health/27iht-snbabies.1.19711937.html#:~:text=%22What%20a%20child%20is%20doing,Is%20Good%22%20(Kaplan).

In studies of what is called the hygiene hypothesis, researchers are concluding that organisms like the millions of bacteria, viruses and especially worms that enter the body along with "dirt" spur the development of a healthy immune system. Several continuing studies suggest that worms may help to redirect an immune system that has gone awry and resulted in autoimmune disorders, allergies and asthma.

gnuarm

« Reply #3853 on: June 14, 2024, 11:49:20 AM »
few people are scientists

eat dirt!

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/health/27iht-snbabies.1.19711937.html#:~:text=%22What%20a%20child%20is%20doing,Is%20Good%22%20(Kaplan).

In studies of what is called the hygiene hypothesis, researchers are concluding that organisms like the millions of bacteria, viruses and especially worms that enter the body along with "dirt" spur the development of a healthy immune system. Several continuing studies suggest that worms may help to redirect an immune system that has gone awry and resulted in autoimmune disorders, allergies and asthma.

As you say, few people are scientists.  Those who are, know to not base medical treatment on a few studies, no matter how interesting. 

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #3854 on: June 15, 2024, 03:07:33 AM »
I don't care if dirt is a super magical cure for everything wrong with me. It tastes nasty so I won't eat it.

« Reply #3855 on: June 15, 2024, 05:27:55 AM »
Youre assably a grown person.

Eating dirt and being dirty was a recommendation for little kids to increase their immune systems.

« Reply #3856 on: June 15, 2024, 05:28:49 AM »
Sidennote

There are fungi and molds in dirt yhat you should run your hands on as an adult.

Edit
Bacteria!
Npt fungus
Not mold

Mycobacterium vaccae NCTC 11659, a Soil-Derived Bacterium with Stress Resilience Properties, Modulates the Proinflammatory Effects of LPS in Macrophages
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 05:34:00 AM by Themightykabool »

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #3857 on: June 15, 2024, 10:34:14 AM »
Kids have no taste, that's why they eat dirt. I have a more refined palate.