• 123 Replies

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
Radiation Exposure
« on: March 22, 2012, 01:18:08 PM »
http://www.new.ans.org/pi/resources/dosechart/

Apparently coal plants are more radioactive than nuke plants.

Re: Radiation Exposure
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 01:31:51 PM »

Rushy

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 01:43:42 PM »
350 mrems or 3.5 mSv per year.

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 12:01:52 PM »
Some of those figures for medical doses are wrong. For example, whole body CT scan appears to give the same dose as and abdomen/pelvis scan, despite including more body in it.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

Rushy

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 12:12:56 PM »
Some of those figures for medical doses are wrong. For example, whole body CT scan appears to give the same dose as and abdomen/pelvis scan, despite including more body in it.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 05:14:36 PM »

Er, what's your point? Does that picture mean something? Are you trying to imply I'm wrong?
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 05:15:31 PM »
Just a little bit

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 05:17:57 PM »
Just a little bit

How am I wrong to claim that the dose from having a whole body CT scan is more than the dose for just an abdomen/pelvis CT scan? Please do tell me, I'd love to hear your excuses.

Rushy

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 07:37:08 PM »
How am I wrong to claim that the dose from having a whole body CT scan is more than the dose for just an abdomen/pelvis CT scan? Please do tell me, I'd love to hear your excuses.

From experience I can say that other people telling you what is right isn't going to work, so here is what is going to happen. I'm going to just say this:

What you said is horrendously incorrect.

After that, I'm just going to let it settle in for a while. I'm sure after a reasonable amount of time you might actually place effort into learning something and search for the truth on Google, use a library for the first time in your life, or ask a radiologist at you're nearest hospital. Now we can just sit back, watch, and enjoy the show. Begin!

Lorddave

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 09:18:53 PM »
Just a little bit

I just educated myself on the subject and found out why you're wrong.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/phys_agents/ionizing.html#_1_4

That helps explain much.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 04:04:40 AM »
Just a little bit

That helps explain much.

Your link says nothing that disagrees with my statement that a whole body CT scan gives you more radiation dose than an abdomen/pelvis scan. See if you can keep failing like that and you'll go far here.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 04:13:28 AM »

From experience I can say that other people telling you what is right isn't going to work, so here is what is going to happen. I'm going to just say this:

What you said is horrendously incorrect.

After that, I'm just going to let it settle in for a while. I'm sure after a reasonable amount of time you might actually place effort into learning something and search for the truth on Google, use a library for the first time in your life, or ask a radiologist at you're nearest hospital. Now we can just sit back, watch, and enjoy the show. Begin!

So your entire explanation for why I'm supposedly wrong is "you're wrong".
Well done, have a biscuit.
I suggest you take your own advice, do a search on Google or ask a radiologist at your nearest hospital. They will tell you I'm correct, and that scanning your chest, abdomen and pelvis together does indeed give you more dose than just scanning your abdomen and pelvis, as common sense would suggest.

Lorddave

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 06:23:01 AM »
Just a little bit

That helps explain much.

Your link says nothing that disagrees with my statement that a whole body CT scan gives you more radiation dose than an abdomen/pelvis scan. See if you can keep failing like that and you'll go far here.

Because it's about how much energy is required to penetrate the area and not the volume of the area.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 06:42:02 AM »
Just a little bit

That helps explain much.

Because it's about how much energy is required to penetrate the area and not the volume of the area.

It's about how much radiation is directed at a person's body as well. You don't seem to get that if radiation dose from a CT scan of the abdo/pelvis is X, and the radiation dose from a scan of the chest is Y, then the total radiation dose from a whole body scan is X+Y, which has to be greater than X.
BTW when you say "how much energy" are you talking about the kVp value of the beam or the mA output? i.e. the energy of individual x-ray photons or the number of photons used in total?

Lorddave

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 07:04:03 AM »
http://hps.org/physicians/documents/Doses_from_Medical_X-Ray_Procedures.pdf

Here's some more figures.
Note how the effective dosage changes not based on what part of the body you're scanning (or X-Raying) but what direction you're scanning.  That changes the required amount of radiation to penetrate the tissue.  If it were based on area, it wouldn't matter.

Now since a CT scan is essentially X-Rays from multiple angles, the angle become irrelevant.

So effective dosage is based on how much radiation is required to view whatever you're trying to view and not the area being viewed.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 07:20:55 AM »

Note how the effective dosage changes not based on what part of the body you're scanning (or X-Raying) but what direction you're scanning.  That changes the required amount of radiation to penetrate the tissue.  If it were based on area, it wouldn't matter.

Now since a CT scan is essentially X-Rays from multiple angles, the angle become irrelevant.

So effective dosage is based on how much radiation is required to view whatever you're trying to view and not the area being viewed.

As I already said, if the radiation dosage needed to view the abdo/pelvis is X, and the radiation dosage needed to view the chest is Y, then the radiation dosage needed to view the whole body is X+Y. Going by the chart you provided, X=2000 and Y=800, so total dose would be 2800. That's more than 2000.
You can either be labelled a pinhead or a troll, I don't care which. Do you want to choose, or shall I?
Oh and btw I suspect the figures given are based on single slice scanner data due to the age of the references, rather than the multi slice scanners used these days, in which the dose figures are different but the same principles apply.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 07:26:34 AM by The Knowledge »

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 07:29:15 AM »

As I already said, if the radiation dosage needed to view the abdo/pelvis is X, and the radiation dosage needed to view the chest is Y, then the radiation dosage needed to view the whole body is X+Y. Going by the chart you provided, X=2000 and Y=800, so total dose would be 2800. That's more than 2000.
You can either be labelled a pinhead or a troll, I don't care which. Do you want to choose, or shall I?
Oh and btw I suspect the figures given are based on single slice scanner data due to the age of the references, rather than the multi slice scanners used these days, in which the dose figures are different but the same principles apply.

Try using Google. I'm sorry, but you're quite wrong.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 07:32:20 AM »

Try using Google. I'm sorry, but you're quite wrong.

I have used Google, it confirms what I say as do all the links provided apart from the original one. I can only assume this has turned into a troll thread. If you found something on Google that disagrees with me, post it here, otherwise I assume this is a wind up.

Rushy

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 10:22:57 AM »
From experience I can say that other people telling you what is right isn't going to work

I see, no one takes the golden advice.

Lorddave

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 10:30:27 AM »

Ummm... No.

If the radiation needed to view the Chest is X and the radiation needed to view the arm is Y and X>Y then if you use X then you get both.

It's like voltage.  If I need 60 volts to run something and 20 volts to run a connected item, then all I need to do is run 60 volts through the system.  The two items will both be run.

http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/1208-measure-radiation-exposure.html
Look at that.
No where does it say "the area exposed".

Lorddave

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 10:41:35 AM »
Wait....

Wouldn't any dose of radiation to any part of your body essentially spread to your other cells anyway regardless of where it was initially concentrated?

Rushy

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 10:44:36 AM »
Wait....

Wouldn't any dose of radiation to any part of your body essentially spread to your other cells anyway regardless of where it was initially concentrated?

Ehh, I don't think so. I don't know anyone that has gotten liver cancer for being out in the Sun for too long.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 11:04:34 AM »

Ummm... No.

If the radiation needed to view the Chest is X and the radiation needed to view the arm is Y and X>Y then if you use X then you get both.

It's like voltage.  If I need 60 volts to run something and 20 volts to run a connected item, then all I need to do is run 60 volts through the system.  The two items will both be run.

Look at that.

You don't understand how CT scanners actually work, do you? That is very, very clear from what you just posted. Do some research and then come back and act contrite.

Lorddave

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 11:04:51 AM »
Wait....

Ehh, I don't think so. I don't know anyone that has gotten liver cancer for being out in the Sun for too long.
Sure you can.  But that's just the spread of cancer.  The diffusion of radiation from the skin to the rest of the body isn't enough to cause cancer usually.

Lorddave

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 11:07:25 AM »

Ummm... No.

Look at that.

You don't understand how CT scanners actually work, do you? That is very, very clear from what you just posted. Do some research and then come back and act contrite.

By taking X-Rays at short bursts across several angles and using several intensities to get variety of exposures which reveal various depths in the body, thus creating a 3 dimensional scan as opposed to a single angle and single exposure 2 Dimensional image.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 11:16:53 AM »

By taking X-Rays at short bursts across several angles and using several intensities to get variety of exposures which reveal various depths in the body, thus creating a 3 dimensional scan as opposed to a single angle and single exposure 2 Dimensional image.

Well, if you've done enough research then you'll now understand why I'm correct that a whole body scan gives more dose than an abdo/pelvis scan, won't you? Do I get an apology for your accusations that I was wrong?

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 11:17:22 AM »
Wait....

No.

Lorddave

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 11:21:21 AM »

Well, if you've done enough research then you'll now understand why I'm correct that a whole body scan gives more dose than an abdo/pelvis scan, won't you? Do I get an apology for your accusations that I was wrong?
Nope.  All you've said is all charts of are wrong because there's more area to scan.  All my research has shown that area exposed is irrelevant.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 11:36:58 AM »

Nope.  All you've said is all charts of are wrong because there's more area to scan.  All my research has shown that area exposed is irrelevant.

Then you haven't really done the right research. Read up on how the machine itself actually works. Then you'll understand. Report back here when this task is completed.

Lorddave

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 12:04:52 PM »

Then you haven't really done the right research. Read up on how the machine itself actually works. Then you'll understand. Report back here when this task is completed.

http://ehealthmd.com/content/how-does-ct-scan-work

Yeah... nothing in that is telling me otherwise.

So I began looking into effective dose and Equivalent dose:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_dose_%28radiation_safety%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivalent_dose

Turns out, there's a whole bunch of factors but in the end, it all get's averaged together.

So...
You're wrong.