The US makes terrible food

• 150 Replies
?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
Re: The US makes terrible food
« Reply #120 on: October 07, 2012, 04:03:52 PM »
Obesity is caused by an all-round unhealthy lifestyle and can never be factored down to a single issue.
Only it can. It is caused by a greater intake of calories than calorie expenditure over a large period of time.
Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2012, 04:19:36 PM »
Obesity is caused by an all-round unhealthy lifestyle and can never be factored down to a single issue.
Only it can. It is caused by a greater intake of calories than calorie expenditure over a large period of time.

Hahah, captain obvious. I agree with irush though, there is eating fast food and there is gorging yourself on fast food.  Not to mention there is the baconator and then theres the chicken sandwich, much of it comes down to choice and if someone is obese its unlikely that the sole issue was fast food.

« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2012, 11:40:41 PM »
One of the people I tutored in college was from China.  We got talking about food.  He said point blank that authentic chineese food is generally terrible.  It tastes mostly like salt and fish.  He believed americanized asian food to be significantly more enjoyable.  Having had "authentic" asian on more than one occassion I'd generally agree.  Americanized asian food has a wider and deeper flavor to it typically.

Also...authentic mexican food is often very bland.  If you are thinking spicy and loaded with flavor, you are likely thinking Texmex...which is often vastly more flavorful.

Generally speaking, in terms of meats, the US is tops on multiple levels.

The blanket, unqualified, statement of the US makes terrible food seems more like a troll action than anything with real conviction or substance.  Particularly in light of the follow up vapid statements of the US not having a clue about fine/gormet foods etc.

Likewise the blanket comment that "fast food is terrible" is just plain silly.  Considering that a prepped and ready salad is about as fast as it gets...soups...whole grain sandwiches (subway anyone?). 

The further irony of this is that, much of the menu items at a "sit down" restraunt are absurdly less healthy than an archetypical fast food burger and will run in excess of 1500 kcal with more than 150% your daily sodium intake.  Pasta dishes are a frequent culprit of this.

I'm with Irush on this.  Go to merry ol britan and order a sheppard's pie and a pint and then come back and tell me that was better for you than a big mac.  (which I rather like sans middle bun, no sauce, extra lettuce, onion, pickle, add tomato)  Not as good as a burger or steak on the grill at home, but not terrible in moderation either.  ;)

The nice part about food in America is the extreme variety available across the board.  And yeah, sure, getting fat is all about balancing calories burned vs. consumed.  But not being fat doesn't mean you're healthy either.  Which I "think" is what Irush was getting at.  There is more to leading a healthy life style than just calorie counting.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2012, 11:53:21 PM »
One of the people I tutored in college was from China.  We got talking about food.  He said point blank that authentic chineese food is generally terrible.  It tastes mostly like salt and fish.  He believed americanized asian food to be significantly more enjoyable.  Having had "authentic" asian on more than one occassion I'd generally agree.  Americanized asian food has a wider and deeper flavor to it typically.

That's because Americanized Chinese food more than likely has far more fat/oil and salt and/or MSG than authentic Chinese food does.  The things that make it taste better are also the things that make it less healthy.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2012, 02:48:48 AM »
One of the people I tutored in college was from China.  We got talking about food.  He said point blank that authentic chineese food is generally terrible.  It tastes mostly like salt and fish.  He believed americanized asian food to be significantly more enjoyable. 

I'm happy that anecdotes proof that American food is go- oh wait a minute
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2012, 11:29:06 PM »

That's because Americanized Chinese food more than likely has far more fat/oil and salt and/or MSG than authentic Chinese food does.  The things that make it taste better are also the things that make it less healthy.

Yes and no.  Authentic asian food is often pretty loaded down with salt and frequently uses a fair amount of unhealthy oils (sesame being the typical offender).  Americanized variants will often follow suit on that too but it depends on where you go and what you order.  When wife and I lived back in MN there were a few places in the Twin Cities that did an amazing job and the food was pretty darn healthy too.  It's the access and good use of a wider array of ingrediants in those situations that take an authentic staple and make it something amazing.

Then you have the extremes where on top of too much salt, too much bad oils, they use a ton of fatty meats, bread the bejesus out of everything and then load it down with corn syrup...

And Beorn...no where did I say "and this proves that american foodz is the bestedst, I win!" ::)

Obviously taste in food is subjective.  But making claims that fast food or american food across the board is unhealthy or unappealing is also obviously false for quite a few people and not just those who are permenant residents.

I thought it was pretty damn funny when I was in a restraunt in germany and the waitress was bragging how they had cheese all the way from Wis.  ;)

Not that their cheese is bad, but growing up in the Twin Cities in MN I just never thought to myself "man, I'm lucky to be so close to Wisconsin so I can easily get their cheese curds for cheap!" etc.  I was more interested in crossing the boarder to get fireworks after they got banned from MN and then later only brought back without rockets.

I still wonder what statistician convinced the MN gov. that exploding ground fireworks were somehow "safer" than exploding airial fireworks. 

....but I digress.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2012, 02:52:54 AM »

Obviously taste in food is subjective.  But making claims that fast food or american food across the board is unhealthy or unappealing is also obviously false for quite a few people and not just those who are permenant residents.

Fast food is terrible.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2012, 05:23:14 AM »
Just terrible. 

« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2012, 07:41:04 AM »
MSG is not dangerous.

« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2012, 09:44:35 AM »
Darn you Beorn and your evil windmill of doom! >o<

I feel better now.

Rushy

« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2012, 08:34:27 PM »
If fast food was terrible by a majority opinion, then no one would buy it. Thus if it is popular, it must be appealing in a way that suits the majority.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2012, 09:04:45 PM »
It fulfills the function of a $5 whore: cheap and easy.  Now think of that in terms of food and you have fast food.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2012, 09:22:16 PM »
white castle, after midnight..... ;D

i declare this thread a victory for american food!

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2012, 04:12:56 AM »
If fast food was terrible by a majority opinion, then no one would buy it. Thus if it is popular, it must be appealing in a way that suits the majority.

How appealing something is to the masses doesn't automatically make it less terrible. Also see Justin Bieber.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2012, 08:55:08 AM »
It fulfills the function of a $5 whore: cheap and easy.  Now think of that in terms of food and you have fast food.

I like this comparison, because it really shines light on one of the main reasons why fast food is so amazing.  Its nasty good.  Its dirty good.  Its hard to describe, but it fulfills that primal need to get dirty, to be raw.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2012, 11:04:13 AM »
white castle, after midnight..... ;D

I'm not sure why, but I've never been impressed by White Castle.  Maybe it's because I'm used to hamburgers that taste like beef.

Rushy

« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2012, 12:18:24 PM »
How appealing something is to the masses doesn't automatically make it less terrible. Also see Justin Bieber.

Bieber isn't appealing to the masses, he is appealing to pre-teen girls. Fast food, however, is appealing to all ages, races, and genders. Furthermore, yes, it does make it less terrible. You are not the gatekeeper to what is good and bad in the world. Popular opinion is.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2012, 12:28:46 PM »
I think its similar to why Europeans have a hard time seeing muscle cars for what they are.  They see "less refinement" as being equal to "terrible."  But they are just missing the fucking point.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2012, 01:53:47 PM »
Fast food and muscle cars are terrible.

Rushy

« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2012, 02:09:14 PM »

That is your minority opinion.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2012, 02:15:13 PM »

Did you take a poll? How do you know?

?

Eric Byrnes

• GIT SOM
« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2012, 02:18:45 PM »
I just watched the documentary film Fat Head.  It is a film that counters the claims of Super Size Me.  Basically, the guy eats nothing but fast food (mostly McDonald's) for a month an loses weight.  Anyone else seen this?

I have seen it, and I believe it too. I myself wont try it because I don't need to lose weight, and because I really don't want to waste that much money.
People annoy me

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2012, 02:23:35 PM »
I just watched the documentary film Fat Head.  It is a film that counters the claims of Super Size Me.  Basically, the guy eats nothing but fast food (mostly McDonald's) for a month an loses weight.  Anyone else seen this?

Loosing weight =/= healthy

?

Eric Byrnes

• GIT SOM
« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2012, 02:36:35 PM »

That was not the point that he was trying to prove. He was trying to prove that Super Size Me was false, and that fast food is not the sole cause of the "obesity epidemic."
People annoy me

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »

That was not the point that he was trying to prove. He was trying to prove that Super Size Me was false, and that fast food is not the sole cause of the "obesity epidemic."

It's been a long time since I saw the movie but I don't think he was trying to proof that it is the sole cause of the obesity epidemic.

Rushy

« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2012, 02:38:44 PM »

Did you take a poll? How do you know?

How do you not know?

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »

Also, the guy's doctor said he was healthier at the end of the experiment.  His cholesterol and other blood tests came back better after the fast food diet.

Basically, he was trying to prove that the Super Size Me maker flat out lied about McDonald's being unhealthy.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 02:43:12 PM by jroa »

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2012, 04:29:57 PM »

Case and Point.  Europeans don't understand.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #148 on: October 16, 2012, 06:20:44 PM »
Fast food, muscle cars and women with big titties are terrible.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #149 on: October 16, 2012, 06:58:01 PM »
Fast food, muscle cars and women with big titties are terrible.

Well said.