• 150 Replies

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
Re: The US makes terrible food
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2012, 04:39:39 PM »
And the studies are inconclusive.
Yeah, screw positive correlations derived under control test environments.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/pubs/water-eau/nitrate_nitrite/index-eng.php

Epidemiological evidence linking intake of nitrite and nitrate with gastric cancer in humans has been equivocal, with some studies indicating a positive correlation34,35 and others showing no such association

I'm not entirely satisfied with how these diverse studies are being mixed to form one big non-conclusion. When all variables (including body chemistry) are held equal, results should be consistent. When half of them render a strong positive correlation, and the others show no correlation, it makes me think that the studies cover different scopes and use different procedures and variables. For instance, what specific nitrates compounds were under examination? I see that the two tests relied on swabbing saliva to determine diets, and others didn't differentiate between naturally occurring from vegetables nitrates and artificial preservative nitrates.

One rule I have yet to see violated is that naturally occurring influences are lower risk than the artificial replacements for them; Be they supplement pills to vegetables, or tanning beds to natural sunlight.

It also mentions a study where they gave mice 3,000 mg of nitrates a day for a minimum of a year. The average human injests about 75 mg a day. I don't think we really have to worry. I generally find that when it comes to links between chemicals and cancer, equivocal translates to 'probably not'. And none of the studies actually found a large increase, as far as I can find. If you want to worry about carcinogens, stop eating anything barbecued. Or just eat more broccoli. And while you're fairly accurate about artificial vs natural, it's better as a rule of thumb than as a blanket law. I think it has something to do with your body's ability to absorb the nutrients.

And again, depending on where you live you may be getting more nitrates from your tap than you would be from hot dogs.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:42:26 PM by Tausami »

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2012, 05:05:10 PM »
I don't think we really have to worry.
Lot's of people don't worry and they turn out fine; I'm not trying to tell you or anyone else what the 'right' diet is. I just have a tendency to be aware of known or likely contributing factors, so I can minimizing my own health risks. But health risks are always a personal decision. As it is I don't barbecue, and if I did I don't drink alcohol.
And again, depending on where you live you may be getting more nitrates from your tap than you would be from hot dogs.
My water is exceptional. ;)
The well water from my rural house is very clean already, but it goes through a UV water purifier and an adjusted reverse osmosis membrane system essentially as effective as the cellular membranes in my own body. As long as you account for minerals, you're set.

...And my parents wonder why I grew up to be OCD about germs, cleanliness, and general health.  :P
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 05:08:35 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2012, 06:01:25 PM »
I don't think we really have to worry.
Lot's of people don't worry and they turn out fine; I'm not trying to tell you or anyone else what the 'right' diet is. I just have a tendency to be aware of known or likely contributing factors, so I can minimizing my own health risks. But health risks are always a personal decision. As it is I don't barbecue, and if I did I don't drink alcohol.

Fair enough. Worrying about chemicals is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, even when it's a fairly rational worry. I think it has something to do with how many people in this country don't know what a chemical is and think that they're inherently dangerous.

My water is exceptional. ;)
The well water from my rural house is very clean already, but it goes through a UV water purifier and an adjusted reverse osmosis membrane system essentially as effective as the cellular membranes in my own body. As long as you account for minerals, you're set.

...And my parents wonder why I grew up to be OCD about germs, cleanliness, and general health.  :P

Wow. Nice setup. How's the hardness? I know a lot of well water has issues with that.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2012, 06:00:58 PM »
And the studies are inconclusive.
Yeah, screw positive correlations derived under control test environments.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/pubs/water-eau/nitrate_nitrite/index-eng.php

Epidemiological evidence linking intake of nitrite and nitrate with gastric cancer in humans has been equivocal, with some studies indicating a positive correlation34,35 and others showing no such association

I'm not entirely satisfied with how these diverse studies are being mixed to form one big non-conclusion. When all variables (including body chemistry) are held equal, results should be consistent. When half of them render a strong positive correlation, and the others show no correlation, it makes me think that the studies cover different scopes and use different procedures and variables. For instance, what specific nitrates compounds were under examination? I see that the two tests relied on swabbing saliva to determine diets, and others didn't differentiate between naturally occurring from vegetables nitrates and artificial preservative nitrates.

One rule I have yet to see violated is that naturally occurring influences are lower risk than the artificial replacements for them; Be they supplement pills to vegetables, or tanning beds to natural sunlight.

It also mentions a study where they gave mice 3,000 mg of nitrates a day for a minimum of a year. The average human injests about 75 mg a day. I don't think we really have to worry. I generally find that when it comes to links between chemicals and cancer, equivocal translates to 'probably not'. And none of the studies actually found a large increase, as far as I can find. If you want to worry about carcinogens, stop eating anything barbecued. Or just eat more broccoli. And while you're fairly accurate about artificial vs natural, it's better as a rule of thumb than as a blanket law. I think it has something to do with your body's ability to absorb the nutrients.

Is eating turkey ok?
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2012, 08:50:57 PM »
Wow. Nice setup. How's the hardness? I know a lot of well water has issues with that.
I have zero complaints with it, but I'm not sure if that's a function of the filters or the source. I've also heard complaints about sulfur smells, but that's not a problem either.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:52:55 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2012, 09:00:22 PM »
I have zero complaints with it, but I'm not sure if that's a function of the filters or the source. I've also heard complaints about sulfur smells, but that's not a problem either.

Just for clarification, are the complaints of sulfur smells about your water, or other people's who use wells?

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2012, 09:41:17 PM »

Just for clarification, are the complaints of sulfur smells about your water, or other people's who use wells?

Other people's wells.

« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2012, 02:31:20 AM »
I only eat fruits, I heard the fruits from the US are terrible.
Cheesus is so wise I sometimes think he's my alt.
CheesusCrust is wise.

Rushy

« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2012, 06:29:32 AM »

When you peel a U.S. grown orange, it is actually made of bacon.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2012, 07:48:09 AM »

Incorrect.  US grown oranges are made of chocolate.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Rushy

« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2012, 07:53:27 AM »

Incorrect.  US grown oranges are made of chocolate.

Depends on the kind you buy.

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2012, 08:52:55 AM »

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2012, 04:25:51 PM »

« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2012, 12:58:11 PM »
The cheese in America sucks.

You make good doughnuts though.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2012, 01:31:44 PM »
American cheese sucks, but we do make more than just American cheese here.  Monterrey Jack, Colby, and Cheddar made here are good.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2012, 06:07:35 PM »
American cheese sucks, but we do make more than just American cheese here.  Monterrey Jack, Colby, and Cheddar made here are good.

Muenster cheese is the bestest.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »
My dad went to a fine cuisine restaurant Belgium and ordered their specialty, and it turned out to be a 1 mm thick slice of raw veal. 

With seasoning of course.

I think I'll stick to my hamburger and homefries.

« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2012, 02:16:13 AM »
I always thought Marmite was a NZ thing. I thought the same about fish and chips until one kind fellow pointed it out to me a few years ao that it's an English thing. One thing I can claim for certain as being from NZ is pavlova. Yummy.

I love American food. But when I went there I was shocked at how big the kids portions are. The size of an adult meal, really.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2012, 02:28:26 AM »
You are talking about fast food.  You should never feed that to a child.

« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2012, 03:37:19 AM »
You'd have to be a pretty uptight parent to never let your kid eat fast food.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2012, 07:57:55 AM »
Really?  I try my best not to do that to myself unless absolutely necessary.  Why would I do it to a child?

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2012, 08:05:08 AM »
Fast food is awful.
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2012, 08:21:03 AM »
Just terrible. 

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2012, 09:00:12 AM »
I hardly ever eat fast food, but now and then I get stuck somewhere all day and have to grab something quick. I always feel like I'm going to die the rest of the day.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2012, 12:41:24 PM »
Fast food is awful.

Fast food is awesome.

« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2012, 12:43:16 PM »
I love fast food. Gourmet burgers are amazing.

« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2012, 12:54:43 PM »
I very rarely eat fast food; once every 2 months if that. If I'm stuck or fancy a change I usually go out to a restaurant or have a pub meal.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2012, 08:56:19 AM »
I just watched the documentary film Fat Head.  It is a film that counters the claims of Super Size Me.  Basically, the guy eats nothing but fast food (mostly McDonald's) for a month an loses weight.  Anyone else seen this?

Rushy

« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2012, 10:11:52 AM »
Fast food isn't the healthiest food around, but it certainly doesn't "make" people fat. If you eat fast food quite a lot but stay active then your body will metabolize the food and not store it as fat. Furthermore if you show moderation in your fast food consumption (i.e. ordering a small/medium combo) then you won't take such a large hit to your weight. Obesity is caused by an all-round unhealthy lifestyle and can never be factored down to a single issue.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2012, 10:52:30 AM »
Fast food isn't the healthiest food around, but it certainly doesn't "make" people fat. If you eat fast food quite a lot but stay active then your body will metabolize the food and not store it as fat. Furthermore if you show moderation in your fast food consumption (i.e. ordering a small/medium combo) then you won't take such a large hit to your weight. Obesity is caused by an all-round unhealthy lifestyle and can never be factored down to a single issue.

Fast food is terrible.
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!