The US makes terrible food

• 150 Replies

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
Re: The US makes terrible food
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2012, 08:14:17 AM »

Cocaine, it's a helluva drug.

Not my favorite!

Well apparently it was for Men at Work.  I know the 80s were crazy, but you cant watch that video and think they weren't on it.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2012, 08:16:47 AM »
Oh, most entertainers were all coked up back then!
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »
It is a catchy tune though.  I always like that song.

rooster

« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2012, 09:10:43 AM »
It appears to be impossible to buy milk in the USA that has neither had something added to it (vitamin D, titanium dioxide etc) nor had something taken out (skimmed, semi skimmed).
At least in the rest of the world you can buy Milk, the whole milk, and nothing but the milk.
There's plenty of Whole Goods and other hippie grocery stores around for that kinda thing. I used to hang out at a dairy farm, they made the best milk ever.

?

EireEngineer

• Woo Nemesis
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2012, 09:23:53 AM »
Not to mention Safeway and Kroger, both of which had additive free, whole milk when I went shopping yesterday. But its "impossible' to find lol.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate.

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2012, 10:47:25 AM »
Not to mention Safeway and Kroger, both of which had additive free, whole milk when I went shopping yesterday. But its "impossible' to find lol.

None of the supermarkets in Millbury has it :P
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

rooster

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2012, 10:48:51 AM »

None of the supermarkets in Millbury has it :P
Do you not have a Whole Foods?

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2012, 12:00:48 PM »
Here's why.

Needs a layer of bacon in there.

Like most countries, it has its share of good and bad. I made the mistake of eating toxic hell taco bell today before work and now I feel like a big pile of poo!
I'm addicted to the 'volcano nachos' and it's all I ever really get there, but I keep it down to a few times a month.

US army food is terrible.
Depends on how each DFAC is run.  I've eaten at some that had terrible food, some that had mediocre food, and some that had great food.  Other times one item was great, while another wasn't.

Maybe, all I know is the Air Force is having massive draw downs. Our staff MX captain recently got paid a hefty sum to separate early. Obama is taking a battleaxe to the DoD and it really shows when you're on the wrong end of it.
Yeah, the ARMY is getting hit hard too.  One of the things being looked at is 'does he look fat', even if they make height and weight.  I know someone (E7) who is active duty who had like a week to produce his last three years of performance evals, or he'd be barred from re-enlistment.  It'll be hitting the NG eventually too.

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2012, 12:09:16 PM »
Gotta love how well America treats its soldiers and veterans
I especially love how the government basically laid-off a couple hundred where I worked recently (DOD civilians, mostly veterans, including myself, working on military equipment) at Ft Lewis to save money, yet continues to give away millions to other countries for stupid crap.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2012, 12:11:31 PM »
I especially love how the government basically laid-off a couple hundred where I worked recently (DOD civilians, mostly veterans, including myself, working on military equipment) at Ft Lewis to save money, yet continues to give away millions to other countries for stupid crap.

This. I fucking hate foreign aid. Half of the countries we give it to don't need it, and the ones who do aren't required to give any evidence that they're using it to help their people and not to stuff their leader's pockets.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2012, 12:14:36 PM »
I bet all those defense contractors haven't taken any hits.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2012, 12:28:01 PM »
I'm really considering getting a vehicle maintenance or generator maintenance job with one of them for a year.  I'd have enough saved after a year to pay my house off.

This. I fucking hate foreign aid. Half of the countries we give it to don't need it, and the ones who do aren't required to give any evidence that they're using it to help their people and not to stuff their leader's pockets.
A lot of it isn't even foreign aid.  I heard some mentioned a few days ago on the radio.  A million to India for a research grant on something useless, I can't recall what.  Beetle mating cycles or what food seasoning is most likely to make people fart or something.

« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2012, 12:34:41 PM »

Australia is known for this shit:

I only found out about vegemite when I was in Germany hanging out with some Australian students.  One girl there had some of it.

Been to a handfull of different countries in various parts of the world, and each one had some particular food I loved, and some particular food I didn't.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2012, 12:37:05 PM »
I'm really considering getting a vehicle maintenance or generator maintenance job with one of them for a year.  I'd have enough saved after a year to pay my house off.

A lot of it isn't even foreign aid.  I heard some mentioned a few days ago on the radio.  A million to India for a research grant on something useless, I can't recall what.  Beetle mating cycles or what food seasoning is most likely to make people fart or something.

To be fair, beetle mating cycles can be quite important for environmental protection reasons.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2012, 01:33:42 PM »
U.S.A. has the best steaks.

http://www.ruthschris.com/Menu/Signature-Steaks

I've been there 3 times, absolutely one of the best meals you will ever have.  You pay for it though.  Two people with a bottle of wine an an appetizer will easily get up to $200.

When my friend got her masters, we went with a group of 8 and our bill was over $1000.
Pity you guys are more famous for hot dogs. Hmmm, love those carcinogenic nitrates and nitrites.

Meh, nitrates aren't that bad for you. Ammonium is the bad nitrogenous compound (as in, the stuff we feed our children). Nitrates just sound scary.

It might interest you to know that nitrates have been linked to stomach cancer and other degenerative diseases. The fatty meat products usually associated with them are full of unhealthy saturated fat that raise levels of LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol), which leads to strokes and heart disease. I've been buying nitrate free bacon and hot dogs since 2006.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Rushy

« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2012, 01:41:44 PM »
If I listed out every object that had been linked to a type of cancer, you would not be able to live on this planet any more.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2012, 01:44:20 PM »
I thought America had a much better selection of almost any given product, including milk. The only difference between milk in our supermarkets is whether it's had the fat removed or not.

It might interest you to know that nitrates have been linked to stomach cancer and other degenerative diseases. The fatty meat products usually associated with them are full of unhealthy saturated fat that raise levels of LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol), which leads to strokes and heart disease. I've been buying nitrate free bacon and hot dogs since 2006.

Saturated fats really aren't as bad as society seems to think they are.

If I listed out every object that had been linked to a type of cancer, you would not be able to live on this planet any more.

Pretty much. Most of the time, the relationships are unsubstantiated or overblown by the mass media.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2012, 01:46:52 PM »
U.S.A. has the best steaks.

http://www.ruthschris.com/Menu/Signature-Steaks

I've been there 3 times, absolutely one of the best meals you will ever have.  You pay for it though.  Two people with a bottle of wine an an appetizer will easily get up to $200.

When my friend got her masters, we went with a group of 8 and our bill was over $1000.
Pity you guys are more famous for hot dogs. Hmmm, love those carcinogenic nitrates and nitrites.

Meh, nitrates aren't that bad for you. Ammonium is the bad nitrogenous compound (as in, the stuff we feed our children). Nitrates just sound scary.

It's an equivocal link. I wouldn't worry about it. After all, depending on where you live, you might be getting more nitrates out of your tap than out of hot dogs.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2012, 03:44:26 PM »
I bet posting at TFES gives you cancer  >:(

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2012, 03:45:11 PM »

Yeah, but it's worth it

Rushy

« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2012, 03:45:43 PM »

It is the conspiracy shooting it's cancer gun at you.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2012, 03:50:39 PM »

Saturated fats really aren't as bad as society seems to think they are.
If I was unclear "unhealthy" was supposed to be type saturated fat, just as "bad" cholesterol was a type of cholesterol. As a whole category, I agree saturated fats aren't implicitly terrible.

Pretty much. Most of the time, the relationships are unsubstantiated or overblown by the mass media.
Which is why research and scientific studies are important.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2012, 03:55:47 PM »
And the studies are inconclusive. So go out and injest nitrates by the gallon. It won't harm you.

Tusk

• Official Member
  • Guidance is internal
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2012, 04:01:27 PM »

It makes me sad that Americans cannot enjoy the experience that is the Haggis as it is banned there.

Even though it is healthier than a Big Mac. http://realdoctorstu.com/2011/01/27/the-burns-night-face-off-haggis-versus-the-big-mac-which-is-really-better/

This needs to be attended to. Immediately. Well first thing tomorrow. Whenever it's convenient for you. OK so no rush then.
Hang on, I'll just check my personal care factor for this week : nope still don't give a fuck

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2012, 04:02:37 PM »
And the studies are inconclusive.
Yeah, screw positive correlations derived under control test environments.

So go out and injest nitrates by the gallon. It won't harm you.
Maybe if I'm not low on Vitamin C.
Vitamin C retards the reactions between the preexisting amines or amides in the stomach which can react with the artificial nitrate/nitrite compounds found in meat to produce nitrosamines, a potent carcinogenic.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:09:53 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2012, 04:03:14 PM »
Only imported haggis is banned. I think there are people who make it, and EAT IT, here.

?

EireEngineer

• Woo Nemesis
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2012, 04:06:34 PM »
I wonder where he is getting his info, since we even have a couple of restaurants here that serve haggis.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2012, 04:06:58 PM »

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/pubs/water-eau/nitrate_nitrite/index-eng.php

Epidemiological evidence linking intake of nitrite and nitrate with gastric cancer in humans has been equivocal, with some studies indicating a positive correlation34,35 and others showing no such association

Tusk

• Official Member
  • Guidance is internal
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2012, 04:16:10 PM »
I wonder where he is getting his info, since we even have a couple of restaurants here that serve haggis.

Only imported haggis is banned. I think there are people who make it, and EAT IT, here.

I think it's ok if the ingredients are home grown but not imported. Something about the BSE outbreak eg "The most controversial ingredient in haggis is sheep lungs".
Hang on, I'll just check my personal care factor for this week : nope still don't give a fuck

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2012, 04:29:24 PM »

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/pubs/water-eau/nitrate_nitrite/index-eng.php

Epidemiological evidence linking intake of nitrite and nitrate with gastric cancer in humans has been equivocal, with some studies indicating a positive correlation34,35 and others showing no such association

I'm not entirely satisfied with how these diverse studies are being mixed to form one big non-conclusion. When all variables (including body chemistry) are held equal, results should be consistent. When half of them render a strong positive correlation, and the others show no correlation, it makes me think that the studies cover different scopes and use different procedures and variables. For instance, what specific nitrate compounds were under examination? I see that the two tests relied on swabbing saliva to determine diets while another calculated nitrate consumption using per capita averages, without even touching on other dietary variables like vitamin C levels, ethnicity, or environmental factors. Some even don't differentiate between naturally occurring from vegetables nitrates and artificial preservative nitrates.

One rule I have yet to see violated is that naturally occurring influences are lower risk than the artificial replacements for them; Be they supplement pills to vegetables, or tanning beds to natural sunlight.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:40:19 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »