Neptune: FET failed to predict, but RET did so and continues to do so

• 236 Replies

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
Re: Neptune: FET failed to predict, but RET did so and continues to do so
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2012, 01:24:59 PM »
I will tell you what I personally observe in the next couple of days. However, don't expect it to support any wild conclusions beyond the existence of Neptune, which I do believe exists but will use observation to validate my views.
Nope. Neptune is too dim and too close to the Sun for observing this month. Please us the RET-model to know where and when you can observe Neptune. Thanks.

According to RET, shouldn't Neptune be less dim if it's close to the Sun  ???
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2012, 01:28:48 PM »
A dim object behind a bright object...your eyes might have difficulty finding that one :)

?

EireEngineer

• Woo Nemesis
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2012, 02:08:10 PM »
[
I think you are confusing close as a measurement of distance with close as a measure of angular separation.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate.

« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2012, 05:40:55 PM »
No. Please lrn2Optics.
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2012, 05:42:52 PM »
No. Please lrn2Optics.
So in RET an object becomes dimmer the closer it comes to a light source. Noted Clocktower.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2012, 05:47:22 PM »
No. Please lrn2Optics.
So in RET an object becomes dimmer the closer it comes to a light source. Noted Clocktower.
No. Please lrn2Logic.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2012, 05:49:30 PM »
Columbus predicted a path to China but found a new continent. Fleming was not even trying to find anything at that moment, he had just thrown some Petri dishes in the sink to wash later. Those are lucky accidents, and lucky accidents do happen. As I have said, if the lucky accident had not happened, Le Verrier or somebody else would have found Neptune just because you only have to search a 10 degree wide swath of sky to find all the planets of the Solar System.

I'm not disputing that Neptune was discovered. I'm disputing that LeVerrier or Adams (or anyone else) mathematically predicted it's presence in any meaningful sense of the term.  I'm sure that with all the sky watching that takes place these days, someone, somewhere would have found Neptune between now and then.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:40:07 PM by Ski »
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

?

EireEngineer

• Woo Nemesis
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2012, 08:25:58 PM »
A perfect example of the willfully obtuse. Again, please dont confuse distance with angular separation.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate.

?

trig

« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2012, 06:45:45 PM »
Columbus predicted a path to China but found a new continent. Fleming was not even trying to find anything at that moment, he had just thrown some Petri dishes in the sink to wash later. Those are lucky accidents, and lucky accidents do happen. As I have said, if the lucky accident had not happened, Le Verrier or somebody else would have found Neptune just because you only have to search a 10 degree wide swath of sky to find all the planets of the Solar System.

I'm not disputing that Neptune was discovered. I'm disputing that LeVerrier or Adams (or anyone else) mathematically predicted it's presence in any meaningful sense of the term.  I'm sure that with all the sky watching that takes place these days, someone, somewhere would have found Neptune between now and then.
So, now we are getting somewhere. It is no problem at all for real Science that Le Verrier and/or Adams failed to do the maths right to find Neptune exactly where the perturbations of the orbit of Uranus pointed.Even the capacity to predict the existence of another planet is already a great achievement, and they both did that.

The real test for the model of the Solar System comes when predictions of the future places where the planets will be seen are verified again and again. And while real Science makes predictions within arc-seconds for years to come, RET does not even predict correctly the sightings for the rest of today.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2012, 08:39:21 PM »

So, now we are getting somewhere. It is no problem at all for real Science that Le Verrier and/or Adams failed to do the maths right to find Neptune exactly where the perturbations of the orbit of Uranus pointed.Even the capacity to predict the existence of another planet is already a great achievement, and they both did that.

The real test for the model of the Solar System comes when predictions of the future places where the planets will be seen are verified again and again. And while real Science makes predictions within arc-seconds for years to come, RET does not even predict correctly the sightings for the rest of today.

You might want to edit that to "FET".  \

But on topic I agree, I dont think that the evidence suggests it was completely random.  They noticed something was wrong in the orbit of a planet, possibly due to the orbit of another planet.  The last thing i have seen Tom do is post that Obama is buying into social misconceptions, and the last thing i have not seen him do is provide evidence that an Ess shape can be formed in 4 months time.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2012, 12:33:37 AM »
Ski is correct, the claim that the position of Neptune was predicted through RET is a complete farce. Please read the section in Earth Not a Globe on the subject. It is required reading.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za60.htm
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 12:35:08 AM by Tom Bishop »

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2012, 12:35:47 AM »
Again, the claim that the position of Neptune was predicted through RET is false. Please read the section in Earth Not a Globe on the subject. It is required reading.

?

trig

« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2012, 02:44:51 AM »
Ski is correct, the claim that the position of Neptune was predicted through RET is a complete farce. Please read the section in Earth Not a Globe on the subject. It is required reading.

This whole "Neptune is bogus" story is so dumb it had to come from ENaG. Of course.

Ignorant people from the mid 19th century could well believe that Neptune does not exist because of the doubts about the methods used to discover it. Now it has been seen so many times that the details of its discovery are quite irrelevant. It has been seen by thousands of amateur and professional astronomers, its orbit (and Uranus') have been checked against computer simulations that easily solve the complexity of the non-analytical functions describing the orbits of 8 or 9 large orbiting planets plus the Sun.

Now that I know the source of the doubts about the discovery of Neptune I am most certain that the supposed errors in calculating the orbit of the then-undiscovered Neptune were just understandable imprecision in calculations that had to include some guesswork, and that they at least gave a general area to start looking.

And now that Tom Bishop has given us a reason to compare directly both models, lets look at the relative success of each: real science's model predicts the movement of the planets to within arc-seconds of a degree, for every planet, at any time in the near future. ENaG's "model" predicts the wrong place where the Sun will be at dusk tomorrow, for any place on Earth. And not by a few arc-seconds, but by tens of degrees. That is a difference of about 4 orders of magnitude.

And even if Le Verrier and Adams were totally wrong (which I now don't believe) the perturbations in the orbit of Uranus are real, well measured and well documented. They do predict the existence of at least one planet, which we now call Neptune, and that conclusion was reached by Le Verrier and Adams, and verified by peers.

But Tom Bishop should get his two state of the art, computer controlled telescopes out and punch "Neptune". He does not have to believe Le Verrier, he just has to read the manual in the page where they tell him how to set up the telescope, and then he can see that there is, in fact a celestial object where Neptune should be, and then he can check for himself that it moves with respect to the stars. Or maybe he does not have the telescopes he says he has?

?

Cat Earth Theory

• I practise the Zetetic Method!
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2012, 02:49:36 AM »

Tom, please stop posting sources from this proven fraud.  It's not helping your extremely weak case.
If you focus on the cloud, and conceive of it just as you would a dream you are trying to interpret, with practice its meanings and memories will be revealed to you.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2012, 08:08:32 AM »
Again, the claim that the position of Neptune was predicted through RET is false. Please read the section in Earth Not a Globe on the subject. It is required reading.

Please refrain from low content posting.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2012, 10:02:54 AM »

This whole "Neptune is bogus" story is so dumb it had to come from ENaG. Of course.

Ignorant people from the mid 19th century could well believe that Neptune does not exist because of the doubts about the methods used to discover it. Now it has been seen so many times that the details of its discovery are quite irrelevant. It has been seen by thousands of amateur and professional astronomers, its orbit (and Uranus') have been checked against computer simulations that easily solve the complexity of the non-analytical functions describing the orbits of 8 or 9 large orbiting planets plus the Sun.

Now that I know the source of the doubts about the discovery of Neptune I am most certain that the supposed errors in calculating the orbit of the then-undiscovered Neptune were just understandable imprecision in calculations that had to include some guesswork, and that they at least gave a general area to start looking.

And now that Tom Bishop has given us a reason to compare directly both models, lets look at the relative success of each: real science's model predicts the movement of the planets to within arc-seconds of a degree, for every planet, at any time in the near future. ENaG's "model" predicts the wrong place where the Sun will be at dusk tomorrow, for any place on Earth. And not by a few arc-seconds, but by tens of degrees. That is a difference of about 4 orders of magnitude.

And even if Le Verrier and Adams were totally wrong (which I now don't believe) the perturbations in the orbit of Uranus are real, well measured and well documented. They do predict the existence of at least one planet, which we now call Neptune, and that conclusion was reached by Le Verrier and Adams, and verified by peers.

But Tom Bishop should get his two state of the art, computer controlled telescopes out and punch "Neptune". He does not have to believe Le Verrier, he just has to read the manual in the page where they tell him how to set up the telescope, and then he can see that there is, in fact a celestial object where Neptune should be, and then he can check for himself that it moves with respect to the stars. Or maybe he does not have the telescopes he says he has?

Please actually read the source material before posting. It isn't about Neptune's non-existence, it's about how prediction did not meet reality. Neptune was not predicted only from calculation under an RET model, long before it was seen by a telescope, as is often claimed. Its discovery is not a testament to RET, or gravity. These claims are completely false.

Those "perterbations" seen in Uranus were failings of the RET model to predict Uranus' position.

From my link:

"In the year 1781, Uranus was discovered by Sir William Herschel. . . . Between 1781 and 1820, it was very frequently observed; and it was hoped that at the latter time sufficient data existed to construct accurate tables of its motions. . . . It was found utterly impossible to construct tables which would represent all the observations. . . . Consequently it was evident that the planet was under the influence of some unknown cause"

Those "perterbations" are actually failings of the Round Earth model to make prediction meet reality. It was hypothezed that another planet was influencing Uranus, but the claims of being able to predict the position of the planet Neptune through calculation was false, as Ski and Samuel Birley Rowbotham have already gone over.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:08:09 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2012, 10:06:53 AM »

Please actually read the source material before posting. It isn't about Neptune's non-existence, it's about how prediction did not meet reality. Neptune was not predicted only from calculation under an RET model, long before it was seen by a telescope, as is often claimed. Its discovery is not a testament to RET, or gravity. These claims are completely false.
Again the SA article considered all of this and makes Rowbotham's argument hallow (as usual). How much longer are you going to argue that Rowbotham has merit when he can't even estimate the distance to the Sun with a decent method?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2012, 10:09:41 AM »
Again the SA article considered all of this and makes Rowbotham's argument hallow (as usual). How much longer are you going to argue that Rowbotham has merit when he can't even estimate the distance to the Sun with a decent method?

Your article is behind a paywall.

Did the author of the SA article read Earth Not a Globe and make point-by-point refutations to the subject matter? I doubt it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:22:12 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2012, 10:12:48 AM »

Did the SA article read Earth Not a Globe and make point-by-point refutations to the subject matter? I doubt it.
I doubt it too. He made no new arguments and was never considered a reliable source based on his numerous and obvious errors.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2012, 10:23:06 AM »

Did the SA article read Earth Not a Globe and make point-by-point refutations to the subject matter? I doubt it.
I doubt it too. He made no new arguments and was never considered a reliable source based on his numerous and obvious errors.

You doubt it? You're supposed to read your articles before posting sources and blindly referencing them. How unethical. Please stop wasting our time. Reported.

« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2012, 10:26:22 AM »

You doubt it? You're supposed to read your articles before posting sources and blindly referencing them. How unethical. Please stop wasting our time. Reported.
I doubt that "the SA article read" EnaG. There's no way for me to know, is there?

« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2012, 10:26:45 AM »

Urbain le Verrier determined the existence of Neptune, calculated its position, astronomers found Neptune where predicted.

Where is the farce? Is it difficult to understand that data and observations wasn't as precise in 1848 than it is now?

Anyway RET predicted Neptune, not FET.
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2012, 10:56:38 AM »
I doubt that "the SA article read" EnaG. There's no way for me to know, is there?

If you had read the article you would know whether it makes point-by-point refutations to ENAG or not. Stop wasting our time.

Urbain le Verrier determined the existence of Neptune, calculated its position, astronomers found Neptune where predicted.

Where is the farce? Is it difficult to understand that data and observations wasn't as precise in 1848 than it is now?

Anyway RET predicted Neptune, not FET.

No, RET did not successfully calculate the position of Neptune. You are wrong. Please see Earth Not a Globe on the matter.

You apparently have a hard time with reading before flapping your trap like our friend ClockTower.

?

Graff

• ROBOSCORPIONS ATTACK!
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2012, 11:34:05 AM »
You apparently have a hard time with reading before flapping your trap like our friend ClockTower.
Oh, the irony...
My sides, they hurt...
God bless the Enclave.

« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2012, 11:51:08 AM »
Please see Earth Not a Globe on the matter.

Would you mind providing an excerpt where Earth Not A Globe discusses this? Sorry, I just get lost in a sea of references here.

?

Thork

« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2012, 11:54:49 AM »
Please see Earth Not a Globe on the matter.

Would you mind providing an excerpt where Earth Not A Globe discusses this? Sorry, I just get lost in a sea of references here.

« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2012, 11:55:46 AM »

If you had read the article you would know whether it makes point-by-point refutations to ENAG or not. Stop wasting our time.

Irrelevant. Please post more meaningful content.

Let's review simple logic:

(A^B)' <==> A' u B'

Not (A and B) is equivalent to Not A or Not B.

Here A is "SA read the article" and B is "the SA article refuted Rowbotham's Chapter point-by-point".

So doubting that SA read the article and refuted it requires only doubting that SA read the article.

Please review your error in reasoning with your response based on this truth. Thanks.

For reference: http://kvk.ubka.uni-karlsruhe.de/hylib-bin/kvk/relay.cgi/LOC_DIREKT/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v3=1&ti=1,1&SEQ=20120317145412&FLD1=LCCN-ISBN-ISSN%20%28KNUM%29%20%28KNUM%29&SAB1=9781591020899&BOOL1=all%20of%20these&GRP1=AND%20with%20next%20set&BOOL2=all%20of%20these&GRP2=AND%20with%20next%20set&BOOL3=all%20of%20these&GRP3=AND%20with%20next%20set&BOOL4=all%20of%20these&PID=jaK4lTOvXsOYdwlgtmz_2-KSqYyGz&SID=1

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2012, 04:57:23 PM »

Please refrain from low content posting.

Sorry, i was very drunk.

?

trig

« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2012, 05:17:17 PM »

Please read the post that you are commenting. My post is about the prediction of Neptune's exact position (before being seen for the first time) not being really important. Scientific knowledge grew by the attempt to pinpoint the location of Neptune, whether the attempt worked nicely, poorly or not at all. Our current knowledge about Neptune does not depend at all on Le Verrier's work. The fact that he found Neptune when he did permitted the study of Neptune from a time when we did not have Mount Palomar or Mount Willson. But if he had not found Neptune it would have been found anyway when those observatories were constructed, some decades after his time.

While real science has a wealth of knowledge about the Solar System, some of it helped by Le Verrier and some not, FET only has a half assed attempt to do an ad hominem attack.

?

trig

« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2012, 08:22:21 PM »

Those "perterbations" seen in Uranus were failings of the RET model to predict Uranus' position.

From my link:

"In the year 1781, Uranus was discovered by Sir William Herschel. . . . Between 1781 and 1820, it was very frequently observed; and it was hoped that at the latter time sufficient data existed to construct accurate tables of its motions. . . . It was found utterly impossible to construct tables which would represent all the observations. . . . Consequently it was evident that the planet was under the influence of some unknown cause"

Those "perterbations" are actually failings of the Round Earth model to make prediction meet reality. It was hypothezed that another planet was influencing Uranus, but the claims of being able to predict the position of the planet Neptune through calculation was false, as Ski and Samuel Birley Rowbotham have already gone over.

And you should read your own quotes. You yourself are quoting the reasoning that led Le Verrier to the discovery of Neptune. The unknown cause, which really was an unknown cause before Le Verrier and Adams, became a known cause as soon as Neptune was found. Indeed, if Neptune had been found when better telescopes became available and no perturbations of the orbit of Neptune had been seen, Newton's law of gravity would have been in deep trouble.

You can have perturbations in the orbit of Uranus and the existence of Neptune or none of the former, but you cannot have just one, as Tom Bishop is implying.