Valve seems to be working on a console

• 24 Replies

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
Valve seems to be working on a console
« on: March 10, 2012, 03:10:57 PM »

Valve filed a patent for a controller with swappable components essentially making it customizable to user preference.

It's been referred to as the "Steam Box" project.

-http://www.gizmag.com/valve-steam-box-console/21733/
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
Re: Valve seems to be working on a console
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 03:25:18 PM »
Sounds good.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 03:43:03 PM »
Trackball in a controller might work out.
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Lorddave

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 04:33:39 PM »
Trackball in a controller might work out.

Pfft. I've been using a trackball since 1995.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 05:28:38 PM »
I prefer the "Gabestation".

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 10:28:33 PM »
Oh Hells yeah.

Rushy

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 10:54:57 PM »
Valve knows with Windows 8 they're going to start hemorrhaging cash flow unless they do something drastic. Like this.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 11:19:25 PM »

Actually, scratch that, it should be called "GabeCube".

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 11:22:57 PM »

Actually, scratch that, it should be called "GabeCube".

GabeCube sounds good, but I like GabeStation.  Especially if you capitalize the N.  GabeStatioN.  GabeN.  dohohoho
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Lorddave

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 03:17:32 AM »
So it's going to be a prefab linux PC with hdmi out.

Meh. Not impressed.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 07:20:34 AM »
If the console is cheap enough, you could always upgrade it as needed.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 08:55:17 AM »
You're not seeing the big picture (LOL NO PUN INTENDED) here DevilDave.  It's not just a PC.  It's a console that's better than a console.  It'll be the best of both worlds: the same casual experience of playing games on the TV while relaxing on the couch, but with the far more customizable environment of PC gaming.  Sure, in some capacity you can do this already, but Gaben is going to facilitate that process to be far more convenient (and affordable).

I'm stoked about the fact that since it'll be Steam based, and it may be likely that developers that are typically console only may expand their games to the Steam console, we may see more legitimate ports.  Hopefully won't get situations like how Red Dead Redemption was never ported, or epically awful PC ports like Force Unleashed and RE4.

Oh also console games with mods.  AWWW YEEEEEAAAAAAAH

If the console is cheap enough, you could always upgrade it as needed.

You mean buying a new one as they improve, or upgrading the console itself (memory, video card, etc)?  He said the hardware would be locked down, but nothing would stop you from building your own and using their OS.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:07:34 AM by Nomad »
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Lorddave

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 09:18:37 AM »
You're not seeing the big picture (LOL NO PUN INTENDED) here DevilDave.  It's not just a PC.  It's a console that's better than a console.  It'll be the best of both worlds: the same casual experience of playing games on the TV while relaxing on the couch, but with the far more customizable environment of PC gaming.  Sure, in some capacity you can do this already, but Gaben is going to facilitate that process to be far more convenient (and affordable).
Not in some capacity.  I have full capacity to do it right now.  In fact, I have.  Hell, I've done both at the same time.  Wife on the couch with an x-box controller and me at the desk with keyboard and mouse playing a steam game co-op.

It's a nice idea but I can't see it taking off.  Those who play STEAM have a PC.  Those who don't... well, they won't.

Not unless STEAM get's a lot of good split-screen multi-player games.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 09:23:06 AM »
Yeah, I don't really know who they're marketing this to. PCfags already have Steam, and it won't be appealing to consolefags because they can pretty much play the same games.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 10:52:55 AM »
Yeah, I don't really know who they're marketing this to. PCfags already have Steam, and it won't be appealing to consolefags because they can pretty much play the same games.

Correct me if i am wrong, because i only read one of the articles, but it seems to me like pretty much any steam game will be playable?  Would this not mean that now there is a console that gets "exclusives" of every exclusive PC game, and one that gets moded content as well.  That would be a huge selling point for most people, a cheap machine that lets you play PC games.  I mean we already have that in the PC world, its called a desktop, but depending on how cheap the hardware is the lack of an OS license fee could help keep the price pretty low, especially since the average system builder overspends in some areas and under spends in others.   Gotta Have the 750 watt PSU even though my system likely only pulls 350-450 under full load.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 10:59:46 AM »

Correct me if i am wrong, because i only read one of the articles, but it seems to me like pretty much any steam game will be playable?  Would this not mean that now there is a console that gets "exclusives" of every exclusive PC game, and one that gets moded content as well.  That would be a huge selling point for most people, a cheap machine that lets you play PC games.  I mean we already have that in the PC world, its called a desktop, but depending on how cheap the hardware is the lack of an OS license fee could help keep the price pretty low, especially since the average system builder overspends in some areas and under spends in others.   Gotta Have the 750 watt PSU even though my system likely only pulls 350-450 under full load.

Well, no, they're not going to magically port every game in their library to the OS they use, unless it's Windows in which case they would have OS license fees, and the "exclusives" will still only appeal to the PC crowd because the Steam Box and the Big Picture mode are designed to be used with a controller, and there aren't really any controller oriented PC exclusives.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 11:10:40 AM »

Well, no, they're not going to magically port every game in their library to the OS they use, unless it's Windows in which case they would have OS license fees, and the "exclusives" will still only appeal to the PC crowd because the Steam Box and the Big Picture mode are designed to be used with a controller, and there aren't really any controller oriented PC exclusives.

Mmk, like I said it was just speculation.  But if they can manage to get some exclusives, then I think they will do fine.  Especially if they work to port over a few games.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 03:59:46 PM »
Yeah it'll probably be linux based so it's unlikely that every game ever on Steam will be playable, but Valve's entire library will be available and I'm 100% that Valve's influence will get a bunch of other big names to port over.  Might even see Origin's ugly face on that thing if it's successful enough.

They're marketing to people like me who prefer the customization friendly environment that PC gaming offers, but would like to play those games in a more relaxed setting.  If it's what I expect it to be, it'll be literally the best of both worlds.

It's a nice idea but I can't see it taking off.  Those who play STEAM have a PC.  Those who don't... well, they won't.

Not unless STEAM get's a lot of good split-screen multi-player games.

What games aside from family friendly games like shit on the Wii does anyone play split screen anymore?  COD/MWF I guess, but I could care less if split screen versions of those made it to the Steam console.  The other consoles can keep that shit, I won't mind.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
Also for the operating system issue it just occurred to me they could easily set up an OnLive like situation, possibly as a premium service, where you can play any of the games in your library that aren't compatible with the SteamOS.  I think I'd actually pay the little bit extra a month for that service unlike bullshit like xbl gold that is totally fucking worthless.  Even PSN+ is kind of worthless, not counting the free games you can get out of the deal.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 05:00:36 PM by Nomad »
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 05:05:34 PM »
So it's going to be a prefab linux PC with hdmi out.

Meh. Not impressed.
So its going to be a Raspberry with controllers?
Also, will they release it full or you'll have to buy the third controller by parts?
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 05:10:37 PM »
I was reading that article more, and it looks like valve may not actually be making the hardware but rather be sending out the designs kind of like nVidia does for their cards and mainboards and letting other hardware manufacturers actually make them based on the design.  I kind of like that idea, sort.  That's a big part of why the 3DO failed, though, so we'll see.  I can see myself buying an eVGA Steambox C:
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 05:37:18 PM »
I was reading that article more, and it looks like valve may not actually be making the hardware but rather be sending out the designs kind of like nVidia does for their cards and mainboards and letting other hardware manufacturers actually make them based on the design.  I kind of like that idea, sort.  That's a big part of why the 3DO failed, though, so we'll see.  I can see myself buying an eVGA Steambox C:

If that's the case, then it almost sounds like they're trying to do with games consoles what Google did with phones.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 06:12:26 PM »

If that's the case, then it almost sounds like they're trying to do with games consoles what Google did with phones.

I think that's exactly what the idea is.  The article posits that they're actually more interested in competing with the Apple App library than the console "war."  I was told a while back, which relates to this, that they're going to be adding non-game programs to Steam as well.  Probably stuff like OpenOffice and such
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

EnigmaZV

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 07:32:46 PM »
Also for the operating system issue it just occurred to me they could easily set up an OnLive like situation, possibly as a premium service, where you can play any of the games in your library that aren't compatible with the SteamOS.  I think I'd actually pay the little bit extra a month for that service unlike bullshit like xbl gold that is totally fucking worthless.  Even PSN+ is kind of worthless, not counting the free games you can get out of the deal.

I love the free games on PSN+, Infamous and Infamous 2, Saint's Row 2 as well as Borderlands. That made it all worth it. I think it's also worth mentioning that I've not played those games previously, but always wanted to.