Other

Shape of the earth?

• 62 Replies
?

Tgor

• Universe Accelerator
Shape of the earth?
« on: February 23, 2012, 06:36:47 PM »
I think that the earth is in a superposition of every shape at once.
I dont care what you think as long as it's about me.

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
Re: Shape of the earth?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 06:37:47 PM »
Q: Shape of the earth?
A: Flat

Hope I've helped  :)
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

?

Tgor

• Universe Accelerator
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 06:40:20 PM »
This is just asking for everyones opinions, glad that you voted.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 06:52:39 PM »
The earth is a hexagonal prism, I was not able to vote.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

?

Tgor

• Universe Accelerator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 06:54:46 PM »
The earth is a hexagonal prism, I was not able to vote.

Fixed.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 08:09:40 AM »
Definitely flat.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

brad1153

• Fly straight around the earth and you’ll learn ;)
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 08:55:51 AM »
According to a collection of evidence worldwide by many scientists through countless experiments and observations the earth is a globe. According to this individual website through unsupported theories the earth is flat.
Ever heard of geography? you should try it sometime :)

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 08:59:13 AM »
According to a collection of evidence worldwide by many scientists through countless experiments and observations the earth is a globe. According to this individual website through unsupported theories the earth is flat.
I am a leading scientist. The earth is flat. Statement disproved.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

?

brad1153

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 09:01:45 AM »
I am a leading scientist. The earth is flat. Statement disproved.

Nobody here is a world leading scientist, you can pretend to be if you want, but your not. Infact i'm not sure if you are jokeing or not.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 09:02:05 AM »
Flatter than my prom date.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 11:32:11 AM »
I am a leading scientist.
In what field of science are you leading?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 12:38:03 PM »
And what evidence do you have of your outlandish claim?

In my profession, we use the number of times another article in the top journal of your field cites an article that you were first author on. What's your number? How can we verify that number?
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 05:23:19 PM »
I am first author in two publications and second author in another publication.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:24:53 PM by Ichimaru Gin :] »

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 07:25:48 PM »
So your number is zero, yet you think that you are a leader in your field. Nope.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 07:32:40 PM »
 ??? What are you on about?

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 08:21:06 PM »
??? What are you on about?
To refresh your memory:

And what evidence do you have of your outlandish claim?

In my profession, we use the number of times another article in the top journal of your field cites an article that you were first author on. What's your number? How can we verify that number?

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 05:43:57 AM »
What might your profession be clocktower? What consitutes a top journal? Why is it first author only? Last author is reserved for the PI of a lab.
I have been cited in other papers, I am a leading scientist.

?

brad1153

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 06:22:22 AM »

I don't remember seeing evidence for that claim, perhapts you could provide some?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 07:01:36 AM »

That still doesn't answer the question of what field you are leading in. 

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 08:19:03 AM »
What might your profession be clocktower?
How is that relevant? It's academia, by the way.
What consitutes a top journal?
Our department uses JCR. See http://thomsonreuters.com/products_services/science/science_products/a-z/journal_citation_reports/ and http://www.ieee.org/publications_standards/publications/journmag/journalcitations.html#sect2.
Why is it first author only? Last author is reserved for the PI of a lab. 
You'll have to take your concern about the reason first author is most respected in terms of leading with academia. The first position is reserved for the PI. Reference: http://www.sportsci.org/resource/writing/author.html
Yet you haven't provided your number. I wonder the reason. If you are leading, your number should be more that the median number of all published scientists in your field.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 08:29:53 AM »
From your own source:
After deciding who will and will not be an author it is necessary to decide the order of the authors. It is important for young authors to understand that there are two positions that count: first and last. And attached to either position is the status associated with being the author for correspondence. The best combination when you are young is to be first author and the author for correspondence. As your career progresses, being last author and author for correspondence signals that this is a paper from your lab, you are the main person responsible for its contents,
::)
Such a basic mistake of a major convention makes me think that you in fact, have no experience in the research world.

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 08:42:06 AM »
From your own source:
After deciding who will and will not be an author it is necessary to decide the order of the authors. It is important for young authors to understand that there are two positions that count: first and last. And attached to either position is the status associated with being the author for correspondence. The best combination when you are young is to be first author and the author for correspondence. As your career progresses, being last author and author for correspondence signals that this is a paper from your lab, you are the main person responsible for its contents,
::)
Such a basic mistake of a major convention makes me think that you in fact, have no experience in the research world.
I do agree with the paragraph above. But for tenure track, our department uses the number I described, probably because tenure is a concern of our newer professors. Once your number is high enough, you will get a chance to lead research projects, often with the newer professors doing the work.

Now what's your number? Who says besides you that you're a leading scientist in the field? Your department chair? Your company? The organization that oversees research in your field, like the AMA does for medicine? What journals have you published in? How many times did your article get the cover?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 08:45:41 AM »
Appeal to false authority fallacy.  You must show that your area of expertise is relevant to the discussion.

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 08:56:34 AM »
Appeal to false authority fallacy.  You must show that your area of expertise is relevant to the discussion.
You're right. Ichy can't just claim that he's a leading scientist and expect us to accept that as true or relevant.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 10:22:17 AM »
It's quite possible that Ichy simply does not want to reveal this information for privacy reasons, which is quite understandable. You don't seem too keen to reveal your own info CT, so all of this focus does have a somewhat hypocritical smell.

Regarding Ichy's credentials, I have personally read (glowing) articles in mainstream publications about him - he is doing very well in his field. People can take me at my word or ignore it - it's their business.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 12:53:14 PM »
It's quite possible that Ichy simply does not want to reveal this information for privacy reasons, which is quite understandable. You don't seem too keen to reveal your own info CT, so all of this focus does have a somewhat hypocritical smell.

Regarding Ichy's credentials, I have personally read (glowing) articles in mainstream publications about him - he is doing very well in his field. People can take me at my word or ignore it - it's their business.

Which is anecdotal evidence that his field is not anything to do with experimental biology. Because I've seen his comedy plant experiment results.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 02:38:15 PM »

Why do Ichy's privacy wishes matter? No one has asked him to reveal personally identifying information, have they? I asked for "his number".

I would agree that if I asked Ichy for personally identifying information and refused to answer the same request of myself, that would be hypocritical. Now did you have something to say about that other than vague innuendo?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 04:09:09 PM »
Which is anecdotal evidence that his field is not anything to do with experimental biology. Because I've seen his comedy plant experiment results.

Well, actually the opposite is the case. Like I said, take my word or leave it. No skin off my nose.

Why do Ichy's privacy wishes matter? No one has asked him to reveal personally identifying information, have they? I asked for "his number".

I would agree that if I asked Ichy for personally identifying information and refused to answer the same request of myself, that would be hypocritical. Now did you have something to say about that other than vague innuendo?

I wasn't talking about personal information, but information he may want to keep private, for whatever reason. And you have been asked several direct questions, the answers to which would not be personally identifying, but have not answered them. That is your right, but it is also somewhat hypocrtical.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 08:07:55 PM »
Regarding Ichy's credentials, I have personally read (glowing) articles in mainstream publications about him - he is doing very well in his field.

However, does Ichy "doing very well in his field" make him an authority on the true shape of the earth?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 08:11:52 PM »
Regarding Ichy's credentials, I have personally read (glowing) articles in mainstream publications about him - he is doing very well in his field.

However, does Ichy "doing very well in his field" make him an authority on the true shape of the earth?

I didn't claim it did, and nor did he. Assuming this is just an accidental strawman argument, do you have a point?