Is the sun flat?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
Re: Is the sun flat?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 06:28:26 AM »
There's a distinct possibility.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

areyouguysserious

• The Earth Is Flat - True Story
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 08:33:23 AM »
There's no way to ever know, because in FET we don't have the capability of going up that high to check it out. Therefore the flat earthers have no idea about anythign about the sun, other than what they can guess at by looking at it. In RET however, we do have the capability of going up that high, and much higher, so we can observe that the sun is actually a giant ball of boiling gas (in so many words). Which also raises the question of solar flares and how they affect gps or other satellite reliant technologies. (if satellites dont exist and gps is powered by towers or balloons, someone please explain the effect of solar flares.)
You have the right to believe in whatever you want. I also have the right to believe that you're a (Bleep)ing idiot!

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
with a cheap telescope with a sun filter you can tell the sun is at least a semi-sphere.
even the faqqers will tell you that

?

areyouguysserious

• The Earth Is Flat - True Story
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 10:16:30 AM »
with a cheap telescope with a sun filter you can tell the sun is at least a semi-sphere.
even the faqqers will tell you that

Those faqqers are notoriously untrustworthy though.
You have the right to believe in whatever you want. I also have the right to believe that you're a (Bleep)ing idiot!

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 02:50:05 PM »
There's no way to ever know, because in FET we don't have the capability of going up that high to check it out. Therefore the flat earthers have no idea about anythign about the sun, other than what they can guess at by looking at it. In RET however, we do have the capability of going up that high, and much higher, so we can observe that the sun is actually a giant ball of boiling gas (in so many words). Which also raises the question of solar flares and how they affect gps or other satellite reliant technologies. (if satellites dont exist and gps is powered by towers or balloons, someone please explain the effect of solar flares.)

I personally don't believe in the Conspiracy.  That being said, I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion that the sun is a giant ball of gas based solely on observation; just how close to the sun do you think we've gotten?  The closest we've ever gotten to the sun was about 28 million miles away; not exactly sufficient for the sort of close observation zeteticism demands.  We know the sun is composed of gas not from direct observation, but from inference based on spectroscopy.  I'm still on the fence about whether this is good enough from a zetetic viewpoint to say that we "know" what makes up the sun; however, I'm inclined at this time to think that we can certainly assume that the sun is at least partly composed of gases (primarily hydrogen and helium), but I think it's a leap of faith to suggest that that's all it's composed of, just like it's a leap of faith to assume that its energy is generated by nuclear fusion.

I know I've meandered a bit, so to get back on topic, the sun certainly does appear to be a giant sphere; but from a sufficient distance, so does the Earth (and Mars and the moon as well, which we also have strong photographic evidence if NASA is to be trusted are flat).  I think there's a distinct possibility that the default shape of any sufficiently large object is a flat cylinder, and if that's true, it means the sun is likely flat as well.  But without being able to see it with my own eyes, or at least see photographic evidence of it, it really amounts to little more than an educated guess, which I would have to admit isn't very zetetically sound.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 07:10:54 PM »
Is the sun flat?
Looks like a sphere to me.  Viewed from anywhere on Earth during daylight hours it looks round (only 3000 miles high according to FET), which would indicate a sphere.

I also personally noticed sunspots ( http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=53015.0  ) on it's surface rotating throughout the day, which would either indicate:

(RET) my view being 'tilted' one way in the morning, and eventually the other way in the evening as the earth rotates and because of my latitude.

or

(FET) the sun is rotating like a wheel as it passes by, and also rotating so the same side is facing me throughout the day, which would also require the rotation to speed up until noon, and then slow back down the futher it moves away.  Also, if the sun is 'rolling' from my perspective (It isn't directly overhead for me this time of year), then if any sunspots are visible to someone at a lower latitude where it passes directly overhead, those spots should be visible moving more vertically across it's surface.

?

EduardoVS-BR

• Flat Earth Editor
  • I respect both theories.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 07:22:36 AM »
Before posting, read the FAQ, please.

"People are like books: they need to be read. Don't stop reading on the cover, for there is a lot of wealth hidden beyond non-attractive covers." - Fábio de Melo

?

Cat Earth Theory

• I practise the Zetetic Method!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 07:34:38 AM »

As a fellow New Person™, let me assure you that this isn't a good way to make friends.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:36:51 AM by Cat Earth Theory »
If you focus on the cloud, and conceive of it just as you would a dream you are trying to interpret, with practice its meanings and memories will be revealed to you.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 08:39:44 AM »

As a fellow New Person™, let me assure you that this isn't a good way to make friends.

Regardless, it's still sound advice.  This site gets many New PersonsTM that Frequently Ask the same Questions, so it only makes sense to have a document that addresses this need.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.