Alcohol

• 1321 Replies

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
Re: Alcohol
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2012, 08:09:18 AM »
Port is nom juice.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2012, 08:13:06 AM »
I love beer.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2012, 08:13:58 AM »
I enjoy red wines, particularly from Argentina or Chile. Cabernet Sauvignon is probably my favourite grape. But even cheap red wine can be enjoyable but definitetly not the same for cheap white wine - cheap whites are nearly always very very nasty but I don't particularly like white wine anyway.

I disagree completely. Most cheap reds I cannot stand, but I don't mind an inexpensive white. I typically go for local wines, BC has some very nice old vinyards. I like the Chilean wines as well, because they are very well priced for their quality. S. Africa seems to be getting better while staying at a lower price point as well.

I've yet to try a port, I'm hesitant about buying a bottle of something I don't know that I'd like. So few restaurants offer port on their after dinner drink menu. Any recommendations?
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2012, 08:24:27 AM »
I find the store you buy from is a more significant factor than the price or the grape. Most stores/vinters source at least some of their own (or else semin-independent) wines, as opposed to the mass-market labels that are everywhere. If the store is good value, a lot of their wine will often be as well.

For example, here you can pay an awful lot for some distinctly average wine in smaller supermarket chains. If you go to Lidl or Aldi however, you can get perfectly respectable wine for around €5 (to put this in context, you would have to pay around €10 elsewhere for the same quality), and absolutely delicious wines for around €12 (that I would happily pay €20+ for). These chains are massive and have enormous economies of scale, so you get really nice French and Italian numbers for far less than you would pay in somewhere like Tesco (which isn't exactly expensive to begin with).

Of course, you get the most interesting stuff from proper wine shops - especially if you ask for a recommendation - but then you have to pay proper wine shop prices.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 08:26:14 AM by Lord Wilmore »
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2012, 08:32:57 AM »
I have no idea if I even like wine. I know I don't like red wine, and I've only tasted one other brand which was good, but I have no idea what that was. And I don't really feel like buying a bunch of wine to find out what I like either.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2012, 08:34:02 AM »
I typically go to wine stores, there's one I like to go to that only has local wines. The woman who owns the shop is incredibly knowledgeable about all the vinyards across the province, and she has amazing recommendations.
Of course here, you can only buy alcohol from liquor stores, so the price of wine is approximately the same no matter where you go.

I have no idea if I even like wine. I know I don't like red wine, and I've only tasted one other brand which was good, but I have no idea what that was. And I don't really feel like buying a bunch of wine to find out what I like either.

You need friends who like wine, then you can try for free. In my case, it was my mother-in-law who is the wine drinker, so she got us into it. I would suggest starting with the german whites, the Reisling and Gewurztraminer, and work your way into the Pinots, Pinot Gris and Pinot Noir. That's how I did it, and it got me into appreciating the reds.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 08:37:32 AM by EnigmaZV »

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2012, 08:41:24 AM »
Well, I don't have any friends who drink wine. :(

EnigmaZV

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2012, 09:09:24 AM »
Well, I don't have any friends who drink wine. :(

Then I'm afraid you may not be in a position to learn to enjoy wine at the moment.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2012, 10:50:56 AM »
For red wines a Claret is a solid choice. Chablis is a decent white as well.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2012, 11:06:54 AM »
I was fairly drunk that time I tasted the wine I liked, but I'm guessing it was some kind of white wine. Maybe I should just try some cheap white wine just for the heck of it.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2012, 11:08:57 AM »
I was fairly drunk that time I tasted the wine I liked, but I'm guessing it was some kind of white wine. Maybe I should just try some cheap white wine just for the heck of it.
Probably. I know pretty much SFA about wine other than the above post, it's not a favourite of mine.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2012, 11:12:18 AM »
White Russians and beer.  But mostly beer.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2012, 11:24:19 AM »

Cheap white will probably taste like lolipops. I'd advise looking for something dry.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2012, 11:33:04 AM »

Cheap white will probably taste like lolipops. I'd advise looking for something dry.

I'd also suggest possibly making sure that the wine's sweetness is a 1. It will make it more palatable for beginners without being sickeningly sweet.

Aytron

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2012, 11:53:19 AM »
A friend of mine had champagne at her place, left over from something. We had a glass and it tasted like sick. To be fair she did warn me it tasted kinda awful.

rooster

« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2012, 11:54:35 AM »
A friend of mine had champagne at her place, left over from something. We had a glass and it tasted like sick. To be fair she did warn me it tasted kinda awful.
Ewy, left over champagne. Do you know how old it was?

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2012, 02:39:18 PM »
I enjoy red wines, particularly from Argentina or Chile. Cabernet Sauvignon is probably my favourite grape. But even cheap red wine can be enjoyable but definitetly not the same for cheap white wine - cheap whites are nearly always very very nasty but I don't particularly like white wine anyway.

I disagree completely. Most cheap reds I cannot stand, but I don't mind an inexpensive white. I typically go for local wines, BC has some very nice old vinyards. I like the Chilean wines as well, because they are very well priced for their quality. S. Africa seems to be getting better while staying at a lower price point as well.

I've yet to try a port, I'm hesitant about buying a bottle of something I don't know that I'd like. So few restaurants offer port on their after dinner drink menu. Any recommendations?

Well Taylors is a common brand that you can't go wrong with. Don't get a vintage if you can't be arsed with decanting (its a pain). I had a really nice port at christmas, will see if I can find the case for it later and check the name.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2012, 02:51:25 PM »

I'd also suggest possibly making sure that the wine's sweetness is a 1. It will make it more palatable for beginners without being sickeningly sweet.
Okay, thanks for the warnings. I don't like sweet stuff. Well, I don't know about wine, but at least that's why I hate almost all liqueur.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2012, 08:14:23 AM »
If you're going cheap then I find whites are safer. A bad white wine tastes like grape juice whereas a bad red tastes like vinegar.

My drink of choice changes regularly. It used to be dry ciders, then I went through a rum stage, now I quite like beers. There is a great little pub near where I live which serves hundreds of foreign bottled beers and ales, including a deadly 12% Belgian monster.

spanner34.5

• feck arse drink
My I.Q. is 85. Or was it 58?

EnigmaZV

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2012, 09:14:45 AM »
Okay, thanks for the warnings. I don't like sweet stuff. Well, I don't know about wine, but at least that's why I hate almost all liqueur.

A sweetness of 1 is just enough to take the edge off without making it seem like you're drinking juice. I would not go above a 1 unless you're cooking with it.

Well Taylors is a common brand that you can't go wrong with. Don't get a vintage if you can't be arsed with decanting (its a pain). I had a really nice port at christmas, will see if I can find the case for it later and check the name.

I have a decanter, so decanting is no problem.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2012, 01:21:16 PM »
Then go for a nice vintage

I guess the cheap red wines they sell here aren't as bad as what they sell elsewhere. There's a limited choice but I buy one of the cheapest ones and its yum.
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

EnigmaZV

« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2012, 01:22:58 PM »
Then go for a nice vintage

I guess the cheap red wines they sell here aren't as bad as what they sell elsewhere. There's a limited choice but I buy one of the cheapest ones and its yum.

I'm not saying cheap reds are no good, you're just more likely to get a bad wine the cheaper it is. I find bad whites more palatable than bad reds.

EDIT: I'd also like to add, that barring 3 or 4 of my favourites, I rarely try the same wine twice.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2012, 06:41:14 PM »
Can't go wrong with Two Buck Chuck.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2012, 06:58:44 PM »
If you're going cheap then I find whites are safer. A bad white wine tastes like grape juice whereas a bad red tastes like vinegar.

My drink of choice changes regularly. It used to be dry ciders, then I went through a rum stage, now I quite like beers. There is a great little pub near where I live which serves hundreds of foreign bottled beers and ales, including a deadly 12% Belgian monster.

Drinking a 10% Irish Stout right now.

As for wine, seriously, I wouldn't get too caught up in red vs white vs grape. You need to be willing to experiment a little. It shouldn't cost that much or anything, but get some cheese and a reasonably priced (i.e less than €10, more than €4) bottle of wine. Taste, enjoy, change, repeat. Don't be safe. I hate to sound elitist, but if you want to like what you drink, don't buy the mass-market stuff. It really is lowest common denominator and is often overpriced. Go for wine that sounds interesting, and experiment.

?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2012, 10:37:11 PM »

Drinking a 10% Irish Stout right now.

As for wine, seriously, I wouldn't get too caught up in red vs white vs grape. You need to be willing to experiment a little. It shouldn't cost that much or anything, but get some cheese and a reasonably priced (i.e less than €10, more than €4) bottle of wine. Taste, enjoy, change, repeat.
I agree with what you are saying but some wines go better with different foods, at different times, moods etc.  I actually think a lot of thought should be placed on white or red, and the specific type in regard what food, mood is etc.  If you don't match it carefully it can make a good wine actually feel like it tastes bad.  FOr example beer is good, but have beer and chocolate and it just isn't pleasant.  Granted, this takes skill, particularly to get refined, but it is worth considering.
Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2012, 12:45:45 AM »
I have a few favourites that I can fall back on but when trying a new wine I tend to research it a little to see what foods it goes with etc. Well when I say 'I' I mean the Bloke, he's the fussy one. I just like to drink. But not anymore, no booze since a little after New Year :(

Aytron

« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2012, 12:53:08 AM »
Ewy, left over champagne. Do you know how old it was?

Not the first clue. But Blue Moon's winter ale is awesome, on a different alcohol note.

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2012, 10:07:11 AM »
Okay, so I cluelessly bought some white wine today for 7.69 €. The labels in the store didn't say anything about the wine's sweetness with numbers, but it said "half dry", so I don't know what that means in relation to the sweetness being, let's say 1, as Enigma mentioned. I noticed four variations, those being Sweet, Half Sweet, Half Dry, and Dry. So, I'm guessing a sweetness of 1 is equivalent to either halft sweet or half dry.

I haven't opened the bottle yet so I don't know what it tastes like, but the labels says:
Espiritu de Chile
Chardonnay Gewürstraminer

This Chardonnay Gewürztraminer blend displays a vibrant yellow colour in the glass. This harmonious wine offers aromas of rose petals, apricot, lime and some spicy notes. On the palate, this round wine is soft and balanced and medium in body. An ideal match for spicy food.

Doesn't sound too bad to me, but what the hell do I know? I guess I'll find out when the party starts.

Ideal drinking temperature 8-10°C. So I should probably but it in the fridge.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:09:20 AM by Mugthulhu »

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2012, 10:36:49 AM »
I agree with what you are saying but some wines go better with different foods, at different times, moods etc.  I actually think a lot of thought should be placed on white or red, and the specific type in regard what food, mood is etc.  If you don't match it carefully it can make a good wine actually feel like it tastes bad.  FOr example beer is good, but have beer and chocolate and it just isn't pleasant.  Granted, this takes skill, particularly to get refined, but it is worth considering.

Oh, if we're talking about drinking it with food or without, then yes, the grape and/or colour is very important. In fact, the grape is also quite important if you're drinking it on its own, as big reds are much less enjoyable on their own.