• 187 Replies

Supertails

• what do i put here
Re: Nickelback
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2012, 01:34:13 PM »
Dear diary
mood: APATHETIC
listening to: NICKELBACK
why dont i feel anything when they sing to me?
WHY

You don't get happy by listening to positive music. You listen to positive music when you're happy. Maybe you should start listening to black metal. It's the music for apathetic and depressed people.

Untrue. There are a lot of times I listen to positive music when I'm depressed or down, and I often listen to more melancholy or sad stuff when I'm in a really good mood because then I can really appreciate the melodies, vocals, and lyricism more than if I were to just listen for the sake of "i wunt to cut mai rists". When you appreciate and love music for what it is (rather than listening to music just to supplement your mood, like you apparently do ???), you'll have a lot of very differing types of music in your playlist. I usually just set my iPod on shuffle, meaning I could be listening to, say, " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">U Should Know Better one moment, " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">The Art of Suicide the next, followed by " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Levels, after which may come " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Vienna. No violent mood swings involved. I know you're mostly just a troll account and all, but the point is that most of the time (for me, at least) music has less to do with just being a complement to your mood (I still didn't realize people did this until you apparently admitted you do) and more with just loving and appreciating music. Sure, I've listened to The Art of Suicide before because I was feeling that way, and I've listened to Levels because I just felt like dancing, but that doesn't mean that's the only time I do listen to them.

And @Saddam: You're probably not addressing me for this very reason, but I don't think they're mediocre just for that, I just think they're completely mediocre and generic overall.
Recently listened to:

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2012, 11:34:18 PM »
I'm not talking about talent, I'm talking about basic competency.  To pick on Wendy for a moment (:P), the idea that I'm criticizing was essentially summed up by him here:

I mean, all they are is mediocre. They can play their instruments. Chad can sing. They know the mechanical motions required for it all, they just don't know how to play well enough for it to be entertaining, or how to play with any sort of passion or style, is all.

I don't agree with automatically judging a band at least as "mediocre" just because they can play their instruments.  It would be like giving an employee points in his performance review because he walked into work wearing clothes.  The fact that they can play music isn't something special or inherently worthy of commendation.  It's no more than is expected of any band.

Then I guess we shall agree to disagree. A bad musician is someone like Rebecca Black, who cannot play any instruments as far as I'm aware, and cannot sing. A mediocre musician is someone like, say, Justin Bieber. The kid can sing, that much I think we can agree on. He just can't or won't do it well enough that I enjoy his music.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2012, 11:47:27 PM »
I'm not talking about talent, I'm talking about basic competency.  To pick on Wendy for a moment (:P), the idea that I'm criticizing was essentially summed up by him here:

I mean, all they are is mediocre. They can play their instruments. Chad can sing. They know the mechanical motions required for it all, they just don't know how to play well enough for it to be entertaining, or how to play with any sort of passion or style, is all.

I don't agree with automatically judging a band at least as "mediocre" just because they can play their instruments.  It would be like giving an employee points in his performance review because he walked into work wearing clothes.  The fact that they can play music isn't something special or inherently worthy of commendation.  It's no more than is expected of any band.

Then I guess we shall agree to disagree. A bad musician is someone like Rebecca Black, who cannot play any instruments as far as I'm aware, and cannot sing. A mediocre musician is someone like, say, Justin Bieber. The kid can sing, that much I think we can agree on. He just can't or won't do it well enough that I enjoy his music.

He also writes at least some of his own songs, and can play the guitar.
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2012, 11:58:15 PM »
Which is the hallmark of a mediocre to good artist. Well, at least in my mind.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2012, 07:56:12 AM »

Rebecca Black can sing.  She can't sing very well, but she still sings.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #156 on: February 21, 2012, 08:02:25 AM »
Moobs is a fan of Default.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #157 on: February 21, 2012, 09:37:40 AM »
Musical ability is a silly scale to judge a band. Jeff Buckley for example, never wrote anything complex (Inb4 he was a very good guitarist, I know, but he never utilised his full technical ability in songs) but he is regarded by many, including me, to be one of the greatest musicians to have ever lived.
Are rappers talentless? Is all rap bad? What about when singers rap? What about rappers that can sing but don't?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #158 on: February 21, 2012, 10:05:39 AM »
Musical ability is a silly scale to judge a band. Jeff Buckley for example, never wrote anything complex (Inb4 he was a very good guitarist, I know, but he never utilised his full technical ability in songs) but he is regarded by many, including me, to be one of the greatest musicians to have ever lived.

...because he was a talented musician.  I think you're contradicting yourself here.

Are rappers talentless? Is all rap bad? What about when singers rap? What about rappers that can sing but don't?

I don't know where you're going with this.  Rap shouldn't be judged on the same merits as rock music.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #159 on: February 21, 2012, 10:39:57 AM »
So is it about technical ability or songwriting ability?

You can be a talented musician and not write anything good. Do you mean he was a talented songwriter?

Also I'm interested that you can differentiate rock and rap so easily.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #160 on: February 21, 2012, 02:21:46 PM »
You're switching terms on me.  I don't consider "musical ability" and "technical ability" to be synonymous.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #161 on: February 21, 2012, 02:33:51 PM »
Nickleback is better than the Moobs Quartet.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2012, 03:08:12 AM »
So... Nickelback have musical ability but aren't good?

« Reply #163 on: February 22, 2012, 03:56:30 AM »
Yes. They can play their instruments, and Chad can sing. But they write crappy songs.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #164 on: February 22, 2012, 06:30:11 AM »
Ok then I'm not sure what Saddam is talking about.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #165 on: February 22, 2012, 09:37:27 AM »
So... Nickelback have musical ability but aren't good?

They have musical ability insofar as they are able to play their music fairly competently.  Just like every single band in the mainstream music industry.  As far as their talent goes, I would judge them to be far down on the lower end of the scale.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #166 on: February 22, 2012, 08:01:03 PM »
Not listening to Nickleback is a better solution than making a thread about it, Moobs.
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

?

Verrine

• Friend of Dr Crustinator
« Reply #167 on: February 23, 2012, 02:52:25 PM »
Yes. They can play their instruments, and Chad can sing. But they write crappy songs.

Considering the songs you write, your opinion doesn't matter. Go listen to some black metal, you depressed person.

?

Verrine

« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2012, 03:02:46 PM »
Dear diary
WHY

You don't get happy by listening to positive music. You listen to positive music when you're happy. Maybe you should start listening to black metal. It's the music for apathetic and depressed people.

Untrue. There are a lot of times I listen to positive music when I'm depressed or down, and I often listen to more melancholy or sad stuff when I'm in a really good mood because then I can really appreciate the melodies, vocals, and lyricism more than if I were to just listen for the sake of "i wunt to cut mai rists". When you appreciate and love music for what it is (rather than listening to music just to supplement your mood, like you apparently do ???), you'll have a lot of very differing types of music in your playlist. I usually just set my iPod on shuffle, meaning I could be listening to, say, " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">U Should Know Better one moment, " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">The Art of Suicide the next, followed by " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Levels, after which may come " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Vienna. No violent mood swings involved. I know you're mostly just a troll account and all, but the point is that most of the time (for me, at least) music has less to do with just being a complement to your mood (I still didn't realize people did this until you apparently admitted you do) and more with just loving and appreciating music. Sure, I've listened to The Art of Suicide before because I was feeling that way, and I've listened to Levels because I just felt like dancing, but that doesn't mean that's the only time I do listen to them.

And @Saddam: You're probably not addressing me for this very reason, but I don't think they're mediocre just for that, I just think they're completely mediocre and generic overall.

So you're saying that music doesn't influence your mood?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2012, 03:04:02 PM »
Not listening to Nickleback is a better solution than making a thread about it, Moobs.

A better solution to what?  The purpose of this thread is to discuss Nickelback.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2012, 03:11:48 PM »
Better solution to reducing your Nickback raeg.
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2012, 03:24:47 PM »

Considering the songs you write, your opinion doesn't matter. Go listen to some black metal, you depressed person.
lol

?

Verrine

« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2012, 03:43:30 PM »

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2012, 05:05:33 PM »

The purpose of this thread is not to reduce my Nickelback raeg.

rooster

« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2012, 05:25:43 PM »

The purpose of this thread is not to reduce my Nickelback raeg.
So then what is the purpose?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2012, 05:27:18 PM »
The purpose of this thread is to discuss Nickelback.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #176 on: February 23, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
Dear diary
WHY

So you're saying that music doesn't influence your mood?

??? Will you make up your mind on what you're arguing? You're the one that said "music doesn't influence your mood, your mood influences what music you listen to". You're starting to sound like John Kerry.
Recently listened to:

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #177 on: February 23, 2012, 06:39:21 PM »
I wonder if Johannes listens to Nickelblack
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

EnigmaZV

« Reply #178 on: February 23, 2012, 06:43:53 PM »
Johannes is terrible, just terrible.
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #179 on: February 24, 2012, 07:04:07 AM »
Quote from: Mugthulhu
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gvasdnahr?feature=mhum

lol

Through mists and ruin is best dungeon ambient. It is.