• 187 Replies
?

Sean

• Official Member
Re: Nickelback
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2012, 06:11:13 PM »
This thread is also terrible.
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2012, 06:46:41 PM »
Nickelback is terrible.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2012, 07:06:51 PM »
Eminem is still pretty good, TBH.  Still one of the better mainstream rappers today.  I mostly like the fact that he occasionally covers topics other than money, himself, violent illegal activities, and copious sex with women.

I concur that Eminem is literally the only intelligent rapper ever ever.

Childish Gambino? Lupe Fiasco? Drake (sometimes)? Jay-Z (sometimes)? Kanye West (sometimes)? Mike Shinoda?

Also, there are a lot more if you mean intelligent outside of their music.

Nickelback is terrible.

He is.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 07:14:36 PM by Supertails »
Recently listened to:

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »
So, basically like Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Eminem and every other white American musician or group of musicians out there?

No.  None of them make horribly contrived attempts to seem like stereotypical rocker tough guys.

I'm going to guess you haven't heard a single Limp Bizkit song ever from that context.

Kanye West (sometimes)?

No. Never, ever, ever, EVER. Kanye West is an idiot and a narcissist who produces feces and thinks it's gold.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:55:38 PM by Wendy »
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2012, 09:58:43 PM »
Kanye West (sometimes)?

No. Never, ever, ever, EVER. Kanye West is an idiot and a narcissist who produces feces and thinks it's gold.

You obviously don't like him personally, but it seems you're not too familiar with his work. Take a look at My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, one of the top-20 highest-rated albums of all-time by critics (critics' scores compiled by Metacritic) and considered pretty much the "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Band" of hip-hop. It's an absolutely incredible album, and he pretty much conducted an entire orchestra for some of the songs on it (see "All of the Lights"). And his earlier stuff (such as The College Dropout) introduced the fact that rappers can be open and reveal their feelings, instead of just rapping about the hood and thug lyfe. He changed rap from "I'm in da hood my hood lyfe is hard like me" to "I'm a person with feelings and I have real emotional troubles too, also stop bagging on gays".

It's always seemed to me really silly to let your view of an artist personally influence what you think of his work. It's easy not to like him at a personal level (even I think he's a dick and wouldn't want to hang out with him), but musically he's incredible. Is it a coincidence that a whole lot of geniuses (of their respective fields, as in a musical genius) end up being social pariahs, dicks, and/or not very well-liked?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:03:28 PM by Supertails »
Recently listened to:

rooster

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2012, 10:02:27 PM »
Don't worry about Wendy. His opinion is truth and everyone else is retarded.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2012, 10:48:06 PM »
Don't worry about Wendy. His opinion is truth and everyone else is retarded.

Not to be overly pedantic, but weren't you the one calling him retarded?

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2012, 01:42:47 AM »
Wait, are you guys teling me that Nickleback are supposed to taken seriously? Come on, look at songs like 'Rock Star,' surely a piss-take of rockers and their lifestyles?

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2012, 01:45:46 AM »
Wait, are you guys teling me that Nickleback are supposed to taken seriously? Come on, look at songs like 'Rock Star,' surely a piss-take of rockers and their lifestyles?

Well yeah, Rockstar was pretty clear satire, but  they're serious with most of their stuff. Nickelback seems to flip a coin each time they make a song. Heads, they make some generic 'inspiring' song about how we need to live better. Tails, they make a song about "rawr girls booze drugs partay".
Recently listened to:

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2012, 01:49:46 AM »
I don't believe you. I think they just released 'rock star' because nobody got the joke in the rest of their music.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2012, 02:17:18 AM »
I wish I could be as optimistic as you. :'(
Recently listened to:

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2012, 02:45:26 AM »
Eminem is still pretty good, TBH.  Still one of the better mainstream rappers today.  I mostly like the fact that he occasionally covers topics other than money, himself, violent illegal activities, and copious sex with women.

Childish Gambino? Lupe Fiasco? Drake (sometimes)? Jay-Z (sometimes)? Kanye West (sometimes)? Mike Shinoda?

Sarcastic sarcasm was sarcastic. I'm a huge fan of intelligent rap a la Busdriver, MC Solaar, NoCanDo, Tyler, The Creator etc etc etc

I'm still beat as to where people are getting this about Nickelback. Yes, Rockstar is clearly a massive joke. But where's this tough guy thing coming from? As far as I'm aware Chad Kroeger had a tough childhood, so you can chuck in basically anyone that writes about this kind of thing as well, if you're going to lay into people like him.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2012, 02:59:29 AM »

Sarcastic sarcasm was sarcastic. I'm a huge fan of intelligent rap a la Busdriver, MC Solaar, NoCanDo, Tyler, The Creator etc etc etc

I'm still beat as to where people are getting this about Nickelback. Yes, Rockstar is clearly a massive joke. But where's this tough guy thing coming from? As far as I'm aware Chad Kroeger had a tough childhood, so you can chuck in basically anyone that writes about this kind of thing as well, if you're going to lay into people like him.

Bah, you're right, I should've caught that. Just thought you might be one of those "durr rap is dum" types. My bad.

And I don't know, personally. To me they're just really mediocre, I don't have anything against them. Just that a lot of the songs are really cliché "yeah let's rawk/party" stuff. I don't know about the tough guy bit, but songs like 'Animal' do make him seem like he wants to be really badass.

But like I said, I'm not one of the people bitching about them. I'm personally really fond of 'Gotta Be Somebody'.
Recently listened to:

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2012, 03:38:16 AM »
Kanye West (sometimes)?

You obviously don't like him personally, but it seems you're not too familiar with his work. Take a look at My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, one of the top-20 highest-rated albums of all-time by critics (critics' scores compiled by Metacritic) and considered pretty much the "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Band" of hip-hop. It's an absolutely incredible album, and he pretty much conducted an entire orchestra for some of the songs on it (see "All of the Lights"). And his earlier stuff (such as The College Dropout) introduced the fact that rappers can be open and reveal their feelings, instead of just rapping about the hood and thug lyfe. He changed rap from "I'm in da hood my hood lyfe is hard like me" to "I'm a person with feelings and I have real emotional troubles too, also stop bagging on gays".

It's always seemed to me really silly to let your view of an artist personally influence what you think of his work. It's easy not to like him at a personal level (even I think he's a dick and wouldn't want to hang out with him), but musically he's incredible. Is it a coincidence that a whole lot of geniuses (of their respective fields, as in a musical genius) end up being social pariahs, dicks, and/or not very well-liked?

I think you misunderstood me a bit. I don't personally dislike Kanye West. Far from it, I think he is an enjoyable type of a moron, comparing himself to the musical greats and claiming that his music is the "sound of a generation." It's amazing to hear him talk, in the same way it's amazing to watch explosions and like a train wreck, it's hard to look away. I just think all of the music I've heard from him is really, really dumb. Granted, I haven't heard the older stuff, but I heard him go on and on about how great Stronger was, when really Daft Punk did all the work and it sounds better in my mind without him rapping all over it, which totally ruins it.

On an unrelated note, I remain convinced that Nickelback are playing it straight with Rockstar and everything else they write. They're not even close to the dumbest messages I've seen anyone put out seriously, and despite all the bad things mentioned in Rockstar, wouldn't some of you want to be worshipped as gods for playing some tunes and singing some songs? I know I would. Adoration and fame are attractive prospects.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2012, 04:07:41 AM »
Tyler, the Creator sucks really badly, in my opinion.
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2012, 04:27:01 AM »
Kanye West (sometimes)?

I think you misunderstood me a bit. I don't personally dislike Kanye West. Far from it, I think he is an enjoyable type of a moron, comparing himself to the musical greats and claiming that his music is the "sound of a generation." It's amazing to hear him talk, in the same way it's amazing to watch explosions and like a train wreck, it's hard to look away. I just think all of the music I've heard from him is really, really dumb. Granted, I haven't heard the older stuff, but I heard him go on and on about how great Stronger was, when really Daft Punk did all the work and it sounds better in my mind without him rapping all over it, which totally ruins it.

Well seeing as Stronger was from one of his worst-received albums, I can see why you might think that. Besides, what artist doesn't promote their own work? It's on his own tracks where he shines the most, when he gets to do the production himself. For example, " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">All of the Lights. Kanye is the sole producer of that track, down to every last sound. He conducted an orchestra. He got together the likes of Alicia Keys, Elly Jackson, and Elton John (plus like six other celebrities that aren't quite as incredible) and put everything together on that track all by himself. Listen to all the detail that went into that one song. All the small sounds in the background that seem insignificant but add to the track as a whole, all the layers and every nuance that carries through the track. Now carry that through all of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and more, and you have the album. If that's not incredible talent, I dunno what is.
Recently listened to:

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2012, 10:25:07 AM »
Ha, 'Someday' just came on my shuffle. Are you seriously telling me that Nickleback are supposed to be serious with the big overblown guitar solo and lyrics like 'let's re-write an ending that fits, instead of a Hollywood horror...'

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2012, 06:40:55 AM »
Tyler, the Creator sucks really badly, in my opinion.

That's kind of his thing.

And Chris, I think judging by your post I might actually not have heard enough of their earlier stuff to be annoyed by them.

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2012, 12:46:08 PM »
Theyre not that bad, esp. Chad.
Hero, that dance into the night song with santana..
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2012, 02:24:20 PM »
Oh, you mean that one that Nickelback didn't play?

?

Tgor

• Universe Accelerator
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2012, 07:09:06 PM »
Metallica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........anyone?
Fall Out Boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........anyone?
I dont care what you think as long as it's about me.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2012, 12:02:43 AM »
I don't know why you'd group Metallica in with Fallout Boy and Nickelback, since I think it's been established that they actually have some modicum of talent. Then again, what do I know?

?

Verrine

• Friend of Dr Crustinator
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2012, 02:06:07 AM »
I don't know why you'd group Metallica in with Fallout Boy and Nickelback, since I think it's been established that they actually have some modicum of talent. Then again, what do I know?

No, it hasn't. Please post evidence supporting the claim that Nickelback have no talent.

« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2012, 04:08:13 AM »
I'm sure they're all very good at playing their instruments, but from what I understand, their song-writing skills are terrible.

?

Verrine

• Friend of Dr Crustinator
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2012, 02:30:02 PM »
I'm sure they're all very good at playing their instruments, but from what I understand, their song-writing skills are terrible.

Any evidence?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2012, 02:50:46 PM »

Any evidence?

Yes.  Listen to one.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2012, 04:01:34 PM »
To me, and I suspect a lot of others, it's not so much the fact that Nickelshit fails at music overall, it's that they fail specifically in their chosen genre of music, which seems to hover between hard rock and metal.  They like to portray themselves, both in their image and their music, as hard-drinking, "don't fuck with us," super-cool badasses.  This notion can be dispelled by simply taking a look at them:

Oh, these motherfuckers mean business, yo!

I'm sorry, but that is as badass as Canadians can get.

Also, I can't find a picture, but Chad now has a sensible haircut.

EDIT: Found one
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:03:41 PM by EnigmaZV »
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2012, 07:51:23 PM »

No, it hasn't. Please post evidence supporting the claim that Nickelback have no talent.
I've listened to them. Click this link. What the fuck?

There's a second and better one IMO.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:53:23 PM by sillyrob »

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2012, 07:55:27 PM »
Though, I should also submit that Green Day are also really good at making songs sound like songs that already exist.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2012, 09:30:06 PM »
Love this one:
Recently listened to: