Pictures that prove a Flat Earth

• 76 Replies

Rushy

Re: Pictures that prove a Flat Earth
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2012, 08:54:38 PM »
Both of those pictures just show the edges of a large disc shaped spot of light. Also, you need to right click the picture and hit "view image" to avoid those paragraph length URLs.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2012, 08:55:34 PM »
Both of those pictures just show the edges of a large disc shaped spot of light.

Really, the rim of the world is Baja California?

zarg

• Saudi Arabian inventor of Dr. Pepper
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2012, 08:55:55 PM »
The point I'm trying to make is I find it odd that there is no real convex or curvature photographic evidence to support the Round Earth Theory other than High altitude where you can see the edge of the Flat Disk or Photoshopped Nasa photos of a Round earth.

In all the pictures I've posted so far who can argue that the land, buildings and landmarks are all flat or a plane?  ;D

If you have prejudged every high altitude photograph which shows curvature to be that of the edge of the disc (even though this is demonstrably impossible), or photoshopped, what exactly do you expect us to show you? Buildings are not discernible at the altitude required for curvature to be visible. This is what Dubai looks like from above. If you think this is wrong, show us how big you think the building should appear at that distance with the math to prove it. Otherwise stop wasting our time with your predetermined challenges.
Quote from: Cat Earth Theory
[Lord Wilmore's writings] are written the way a high schooler thinks an educated person should sound like.  The pathetic pseudo-academic writing can't hide the lack of any real substance.

Rushy

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2012, 08:56:42 PM »
Both of those pictures just show the edges of a large disc shaped spot of light.

Really, the world ends with Baja California?

Atmolayer refraction causes the earth to "disappear" at a set point from the observer.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2012, 08:57:43 PM »

Atmolayer refraction causes the earth to "disappear" at a set point from the observer.

No it doesn't, curvature causes that.

Rushy

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2012, 08:58:56 PM »

No it doesn't, curvature causes that.

Well then, we appear to be at an impasse.

iWitness

• If the earth is round then what is your problem?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:36:38 PM by Jack »
Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2012, 09:05:50 PM »
Why do you seem to think that at such low altitudes curvature should be visible? 

zarg

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2012, 09:17:03 PM »
I wanted to post an example of what Lens distortion looks like in some photographs that can be mistaken for the Earth's curvature.

See: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=52792.msg1295859#msg1295859
[Lord Wilmore's writings] are written the way a high schooler thinks an educated person should sound like.  The pathetic pseudo-academic writing can't hide the lack of any real substance.

iWitness

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2012, 09:28:07 PM »
Katrina:

http://www.katrina.noaa.gov/helicopter/images/katrina-new-orleans-flooding3-2005.jpg

Some Panoramics:

http://www.photosfan.com/images/panoramic-view-of-hong-kong1.jpg

http://www.kulakane302.com/images/views%20from%20Kulakane/Panoramic%20view%20from%20lanai%20-%20full%20resolution.jpg

http://www.freemages.co.uk/album/allemagne/cologne_panoramique%20.jpg

Things are just so flatastically flat that if we were on a Sphere there would be some Curvature show up in at least ONE of these pictures. Surely at least one of these pictures covers 100 square miles and you can't tell me that in 100 square miles every inch would be flat on a 25000 mile circumference sphere. There would be some point at which the outer edges would curve or tilt.

http://www.websitevisions.com/OxbowBendPanoramic.jpg

http://v23.lscache3.c.bigcache.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/3073118.jpg
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:37:46 PM by Jack »
Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

iWitness

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Now these pictures are large so they break the frame you can scroll to the right or right click on the picture and click View Image to view the full size.

Things are just so flatastically flat that if we were on a Sphere there would be some Curvature show up in at least ONE of these pictures. Surely at least one of these pictures covers 100 square miles and you can't tell me that in 100 square miles every inch would be flat on a 25000 mile circumference sphere. There would be some point at which the outer edges would curve or tilt and yes that includes visible tilting of Buildings, trees and such.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2012, 09:52:25 PM »
Now these pictures are large so they break the frame you can scroll to the right or right click on the picture and click View Image to view the full size.

Things are just so flatastically flat that if we were on a Sphere there would be some Curvature show up in at least ONE of these pictures. Surely at least one of these pictures covers 100 square miles and you can't tell me that in 100 square miles every inch would be flat on a 25000 mile circumference sphere. There would be some point at which the outer edges would curve or tilt and yes that includes visible tilting of Buildings, trees and such.

Why wont you answer my question?  Why do you believe that curvature should be visible at such low altitudes?

iWitness

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2012, 09:57:58 PM »

Why wont you answer my question?  Why do you believe that curvature should be visible at such low altitudes?

That is a reasonable question and it's partly because I'm excited about Flat Earth Theory and now I want to see this amazing Spherical earth that we are held onto with gravity and spinning 1000 mph around the sun at 100's of 1000's of mph with my own eyes. It's just it's just before I just accepted that we were on a spherical earth but after hearing all the Flat Earth Society's ideas and beliefs it sounds more crazy that we're on a spherical earth since everything appears so flat. I guess the pictures from nasa could be real and they could have been to the moon, but I want to experience the spherical earth for myself. I want to go to the moon.

iWitness

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2012, 10:02:18 PM »
Our Beautiful Spherical Earth as seen from Apollo 17:

I should note that this is on the way to the moon some 200,000+ miles away through space. What's weird is that the earth is spinning at 1,000 miles per hour and I guess the atmosphere is spinning along with it to prevent us from feeling the winds. So when the spaceship blasts through the atmosphere into space it like keeps going and stuff all the way to the moon? And then when they're ready to come home they just get back in and blast off back to earth? Is this the story right I don't know I wasn't there.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:14:10 PM by iWitness »

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2012, 10:14:16 PM »

That is a reasonable question and it's partly because I'm excited about Flat Earth Theory and now I want to see this amazing Spherical earth that we are held onto with gravity and spinning 1000 mph around the sun at 100's of 1000's of mph with my own eyes. It's just it's just before I just accepted that we were on a spherical earth but after hearing all the Flat Earth Society's ideas and beliefs it sounds more crazy that we're on a spherical earth since everything appears so flat. I guess the pictures from nasa could be real and they could have been to the moon, but I want to experience the spherical earth for myself. I want to go to the moon.

Trust me on this one, i find many of the things in astronomy hard to believe.  Black holes where time has stopped, stars 1000s of times larger than our own, and the insane speeds we are moving at.  but everything that RE believes has or is being tested by the scientific theory.  FE on the other hand is just a loose collection of ideas strung together to support the idea of a flat earth. 

Just like you said, you look out your window and it does not seem like you are standing on a giant round object, it seems pretty much flat.  But at the same time that is the only real reason why this site exists.  Every piece of evidence points towards a round earth, its why a flat earth model was abandoned many many centuries ago.  There are so many things that FE cannot explain.  they will tell you it is because they lack funding, but in reality it is because the earth is round.

As crazy as many things in RE sound, there is only one place where FE is simpler than round earth theory, and that is in exactly what you have described, that the earth appears flat on a local basis.  But everything else in FE gets super complicated/and or just not even explainable.  Like how the celestial bodies move above us, or what powers the sun.  There are so many holes that it is just crazy to believe it, which is why most of the people claiming to be FE supporters on this site are really just trolls who get a rise out of debating.

iWitness

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2012, 10:23:53 PM »
I agree with you there I am still unsure how it's possible stars move around in the sky, suns and moons it's AMAZING.

So aside from nasa photos, school learning and popular belief what makes you a firm believe in Round or Spherical earth even after reading all of the ideas presented here at Flat Earth Society?

zarg

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2012, 10:50:41 PM »
So aside from nasa photos, school learning and popular belief what makes you a firm believe in Round or Spherical earth even after reading all of the ideas presented here at Flat Earth Society?

In a sentence, it's the fact that the modern world works. So many facets of modern life are dependent on the assumption that we are living on a sphere, and to believe that the assumption is wrong absolutely requires at least one of two things:
  • ignorance
  • a conspiracy theory
As I am reasonably educated, and sane, I naturally accept that this earth is spherical. Right now you appear to simply be suffering from ignorance. Hopefully you can get past that before you fall into paranoid delusions.

iWitness

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2012, 10:56:58 PM »
Since when does an astronomer have to have a degree from a university? Surely this is only a recent invention and since the beginning of time man has looked to the stars and observed. Who is this ultimate authority on approving a man's intellect? Show me the person that knows the truth about everything. If this person exists then why don't they share with the world the knowledge? The only explanation is that no man knows therefore we are in charge of our own realities.

Look at that video. Does it look like we are rotating at 1000 miles per hour or that we are fixed and the heavens are rotating around us?

Hey you're claiming all Astronomers and Scientists believe in a Round earth and that is simply not true.

Name one person with a doctorate in astronomy (or even just a BS) that believes the earth is flat, because i have found none.  If you find me one ill retract my statement.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2012, 11:01:06 PM »
I agree with you there I am still unsure how it's possible stars move around in the sky, suns and moons it's AMAZING.

Well I'm not really sure what you mean by ideas.  All i see on this site is gross speculation.  Maybe if you told me what seems convincing about FE besides the earth just looking flat i could help you understand the concept behind it's explanation in round earth theory?

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2012, 11:07:55 PM »
Since when does an astronomer have to have a degree from a university? Surely this is only a recent invention and since the beginning of time man has looked to the stars and observed. Who is this ultimate authority on approving a man's intellect? Show me the person that knows the truth about everything. If this person exists then why don't they share with the world the knowledge? The only explanation is that no man knows therefore we are in charge of our own realities.

Look at that video. Does it look like we are rotating at 1000 miles per hour or that we are fixed and the heavens are rotating around us?

Hey you're claiming all Astronomers and Scientists believe in a Round earth and that is simply not true.

Name one person with a doctorate in astronomy (or even just a BS) that believes the earth is flat, because i have found none.  If you find me one ill retract my statement.

Generally speaking an astronomer or a scientist is usually that by profession, and to be in one of those professions you usually need a degree.  If you own a telescope it does not make you an astronomer.  And in my post i was very clear to use the word "current", i understand that many of the men and women before us did not have the luxury of attending a body of higher education, or simply came before the widespread terminology of PHD or BS. 

If you are not a professional astronomer yet consider yourself to be an astronomer then you are a amateur astronomer.  I was asking for some evidence that a professional astronomer advocated FET.

And to answer your question it looks to me that the objects are sinking below our horizon, not getting smaller.  if they were moving above us they would get smaller as they moved away from us.  But since they stay the same size until they drop below the horizon, my guess would be that we are rotating and not them.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:11:00 PM by OrbisNonSufficit »

iWitness

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2012, 11:16:38 PM »
Well anyone can go to college and get a degree so I assume there is at least one person with a BS or  higher that believes the earth is flat. Going to college and getting a degree does not make one omniscient and all-knowing in truth and science.

Science is plenty flawed because of too many variables to record and theories are constantly being modified. Regardless, just because some teachers read some books and are taught by other teachers who have read books by teachers does not mean that teachers know everything or that astronomers taught by teachers are experts in astronomy. It simply means he had to go through a whole bunch of bullshit in order to learn some outdated theories that some dude thought up a long time ago because he was poor from being a teacher and he tried to make some money and get famous.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2012, 11:29:22 PM »
Well anyone can go to college and get a degree so I assume there is at least one person with a BS or  higher that believes the earth is flat. Going to college and getting a degree does not make one omniscient and all-knowing in truth and science.

Science is plenty flawed because of too many variables to record and theories are constantly being modified. Regardless, just because some teachers read some books and are taught by other teachers who have read books by teachers does not mean that teachers know everything or that astronomers taught by teachers are experts in astronomy. It simply means he had to go through a whole bunch of bullshit in order to learn some outdated theories that some dude thought up a long time ago because he was poor from being a teacher and he tried to make some money and get famous.

Maybe if we were talking about middle school science I would agree.  But take for example my astronomy professor Sandra Faber. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandra_Faber

She is currently working on a project relating to the shapes and formations of Galaxies.  She is an absolute monster of a genius.  She and her team have review over 50,000 picture of galaxies taken by telescopes.  She is actively researching and testing her theories as an astronomer.  She is the person creating the textbooks, creating the theories, and also teaching them.  She is not simply regurgitating information she learned a while back.

Now i am not suggesting that just because you have a degree you are some sort of god, but having a PHD does make you an expert in your field.  If you went to a doctor, you would want him to have a degree, because then you know that there is a good chance that he knows what he or she is doing.  The same for a psychologist, or a history professor, or an English professor, you want to know that this person has been trained and educated in what they are teaching/describing.  Does it mean that you need to have a degree to be good at any of what i mentioned, no.  But it does give you more credibility when speaking on your subject.

zarg

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2012, 11:47:14 PM »

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">

Look at that video. Does it look like the plane is moving at over a hundred miles per hour or that it is fixed and the clouds are moving past it?

Now look at this video:

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">

iWitness

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2012, 12:04:13 AM »
Pretty cool I admit I guess it's possible we are rotating. Any FE's out there know it's impossible we are rotating based on these videos?

iWitness

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2012, 12:57:22 AM »
The Earth is so Flat:

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2012, 08:24:02 AM »
Here it is obvious that there is curvature

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1SNNT_enUS397US397&biw=1360&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbnid=spJaBGNgaRnj7M:&imgrefurl=http://wanderingspace.net/2007/09/smallsteps-wallpaper-v2-rocket/&docid=pl4Kh_t2-favWM&imgurl=http://wanderingspace.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/smallsteps-v2.jpg&w=1680&h=1050&ei=xUcOT8CfLcOOiALarfTYDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=177&vpy=363&dur=486&hovh=126&hovw=182&tx=146&ty=112&sig=112182597954793266992&page=2&tbnh=126&tbnw=182&start=21&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:17,s:21

The curvature isn't obvious. It looks like someone arranged flat (or only very slightly curved) sections of the horizon into something which more resembles an arc of a circle. It looks like an armadillo's back - relatively flat sections forced into a curve.

And here you can see all the way up to the edge of the earth, which is apparently the gulf of California.  It is obvious that there is a curvature of the planet because land runs all the way up to the edge.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.yaplakal.com/uploads/post-2-1195021362.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.yaplakal.com/forum2/topic160547.html&usg=__ZRvdcYgofZcn0oseVD81n_cen8o=&h=770&w=600&sz=79&hl=en&start=1&sig2=2b72hgV9Tu4LF0szWWAruQ&zoom=1&tbnid=IAF6J6NNwx87dM:&tbnh=138&tbnw=111&ei=YT0WT8-iHoWWiAK0hrCtDw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dv%2B2%2Brocket%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DX%26biw%3D1360%26bih%3D643%26tbs%3Dsimg:CAQSZRpjCxCo1NgEGgIIAwwLELCMpwgaPAo6CAESFNAHhQfpBoQHkgfsBs8H4gPNB4QEGiCh7ypWjXHalvZXzfhux5lyvYOGj2Almve2tbWwyGrFWAwLEI6u_1ggaCgoICAESBClGsVYM%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=177&vpy=155&dur=138&hovh=254&hovw=198&tx=116&ty=128&sig=112182597954793266992&page=1&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

Both of these images were taken from about 100 miles above the earth, that is much higher than any balloon or homemade rocket can get too.

Actually those images could easily taken be at the edge of the atmosphere, similar to this one:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/09/the-150-space-camera-mit-students-beat-nasa-on-beer-money-budget/

In the first image the curvature is forced, and in the second image the curvature is very shallow - similar to what is seen at the edge of the atmosphere.

There is some shallow curvature at the edge of the atmosphere, but only because at such great heights the observer is looking down at a circle

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2012, 08:31:32 AM »
There is some shallow curvature at the edge of the atmosphere, but only because at such great heights the observer is looking down at a circle
What circle is that? You claim that the Sun's lit area is a circle is not supported by reality, let alone any evidence. Please tell us how you know that it's a circle.
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2012, 10:01:59 AM »
Here it is obvious that there is curvature

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1SNNT_enUS397US397&biw=1360&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbnid=spJaBGNgaRnj7M:&imgrefurl=http://wanderingspace.net/2007/09/smallsteps-wallpaper-v2-rocket/&docid=pl4Kh_t2-favWM&imgurl=http://wanderingspace.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/smallsteps-v2.jpg&w=1680&h=1050&ei=xUcOT8CfLcOOiALarfTYDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=177&vpy=363&dur=486&hovh=126&hovw=182&tx=146&ty=112&sig=112182597954793266992&page=2&tbnh=126&tbnw=182&start=21&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:17,s:21

The curvature isn't obvious. It looks like someone arranged flat (or only very slightly curved) sections of the horizon into something which more resembles an arc of a circle. It looks like an armadillo's back - relatively flat sections forced into a curve.

And here you can see all the way up to the edge of the earth, which is apparently the gulf of California.  It is obvious that there is a curvature of the planet because land runs all the way up to the edge.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.yaplakal.com/uploads/post-2-1195021362.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.yaplakal.com/forum2/topic160547.html&usg=__ZRvdcYgofZcn0oseVD81n_cen8o=&h=770&w=600&sz=79&hl=en&start=1&sig2=2b72hgV9Tu4LF0szWWAruQ&zoom=1&tbnid=IAF6J6NNwx87dM:&tbnh=138&tbnw=111&ei=YT0WT8-iHoWWiAK0hrCtDw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dv%2B2%2Brocket%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DX%26biw%3D1360%26bih%3D643%26tbs%3Dsimg:CAQSZRpjCxCo1NgEGgIIAwwLELCMpwgaPAo6CAESFNAHhQfpBoQHkgfsBs8H4gPNB4QEGiCh7ypWjXHalvZXzfhux5lyvYOGj2Almve2tbWwyGrFWAwLEI6u_1ggaCgoICAESBClGsVYM%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=177&vpy=155&dur=138&hovh=254&hovw=198&tx=116&ty=128&sig=112182597954793266992&page=1&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

Both of these images were taken from about 100 miles above the earth, that is much higher than any balloon or homemade rocket can get too.

Actually those images could easily taken be at the edge of the atmosphere, similar to this one:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/09/the-150-space-camera-mit-students-beat-nasa-on-beer-money-budget/

In the first image the curvature is forced, and in the second image the curvature is very shallow - similar to what is seen at the edge of the atmosphere.

Except that they were taken from a rocket at 100 miles up.  What happened many times with the V2 is that as it got higher it would get unstable, causing it to start to spin, which allowed for them to paste individual photos together to form larger photos.  They did not have wide angle lenses on board.  In the photo where it looks like and armadillo's back i suggest you look at the clouds and how they line up perfectly.

In the second photo, the one that shows the gulf of California, its easy to see how towards the end of the photo the land mass starts to get indistinguishable from the horizon, showing that it is a globe, the land looks distorted near the rim of the photo because we are not looking at it head on.

zarg

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2012, 10:23:25 AM »

Tom, explain my avatar.  What causes the circle of darkness?

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2012, 10:28:35 AM »

Tom, explain my avatar.  What causes the circle of darkness?

Perhaps the head in the center of it blocking out the sun?