Is this sexy or what?

• 11 Replies

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
Is this sexy or what?
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:16:17 AM »
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
Re: Is this sexy or what?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 12:31:03 AM »
Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 02:19:15 AM »
Windows XP's Disk Defragmenter?
Weak. Very weak.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:48:19 PM »
Windows XP's Disk Defragmenter?
Weak. Very weak.
XP has yet to fail me.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Lorddave

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 02:50:15 AM »
I liked the old DOS defrag myself.
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

Thork

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 02:52:55 AM »
I have a SSD. /thread

Lorddave

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 02:56:27 AM »
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 09:14:50 PM »
XP has yet to fail me.
Try Defraggler, or virtually any other disk defrag utility. They're much faster. Why waste time when you can... well, not waste time?
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 09:13:28 PM »
XP has yet to fail me.
Try Defraggler, or virtually any other disk defrag utility. They're much faster. Why waste time when you can... well, not waste time?
The reason I thought it was sexy is because I've never defragged that harddrive. I've been moving stuff there under strict organization for a long time. It would seem that my lack of editing with non-changing and non-moving files resulted in a contiguous data structure.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:28:24 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »

Lorddave

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 03:25:54 AM »
XP has yet to fail me.
The reason I thought it was sexy is because I've never defragged that harddrive. I've been moving stuff there under strict organization for a long time. It would seem that my lack of editing with non-changing and non-moving files resulted in a contiguous data structure.
If you never move, delete, or edit files then it's not surprising.

?

Thork

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 03:29:14 AM »
XP has yet to fail me.
??? I don't think you know how a hard drive works. Hard drives will always try to put the data on the edge of the disc first. This is the mathematics of a circle. You can read/write faster to the edge because the edge spins faster than the centre so the little reader can cover more distance (data) of the magnetic disc for a set rpm. This is primarily what defragging is for. It sends the most used and important files to the edge for better performance as well as making files contiguous. This is one of the reasons you don't defrag an ssd. There is no edge, you don't get better performance. Your computer is smart. It knows to put the files at the edge of a disc and so it lays them there first. Its only when you start deleting and moving files that holes and gaps appear and the performance is not optimum. Its also why a clean install of an operating system makes a faster computer. The operating system takes the prime real estate, right on the edge. All of your files are of similar importance as they are cinema files. There is no operating system or anti-virus or anything else that might be deemed more important and moved.

Next week I will be describing how the printing press works. Until then, I shall go back to my solid state drive equipped computer. :p
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 09:01:46 AM by Thork »

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 01:48:29 PM »
If you never move, delete, or edit files then it's not surprising.
It was only surprising because I wasn't keeping track of all the perfect variables. It made complete sense as soon as I thought about it, but the point was that I hadn't thought about it up until then. It was a pleasant surprise, not a mysterious one.

Also, 3 of my 8 external drives are solid state.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:51:46 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »