Photographing the Flat Earth

• 13 Replies
?

Mizuki

• Earth is NOT a Globe
Photographing the Flat Earth
« on: January 26, 2012, 09:26:36 AM »
This year, probably late summer when i have some time, i intend to take some photographs that will hopefully add to the debate on the flat earth.

Is there a member here who can advise what is the best camera set-up for taking such long-distance topographical photos? Please bare in mind i have a limited budget, so won't be able to afford top-of-the-range- equipment?

Has anyone taken (and indeed, posted up on this forum) any photos of this nature?

Thank you, Mizuki x
"Earth is a maximal sphere in a cyclical space and its surface therefore a total plane, the equator plane of the Cosmos. The (total) plane, as well as the straight line and space as a whole, is flat, without curvature yet closed, running back on itself."

?

Archibald

• mans reach exceeds his grasp
Re: Photographing the Flat Earth
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:09:28 AM »
There have been many pictures posted on these fora depicting the flat earth.
For whatever reason you allow Clocktower to derail any thread Archibald posts in.

?

Mizuki

• Earth is NOT a Globe
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 06:47:19 AM »
There have been many pictures posted on these fora depicting the flat earth.

Thank you for your reply, Archibald.

I probably didn't make myself very clear in my post. But what i wanted to know was if any of the members here had themselves been out and done some field-work actually taking photographs (a la Dr  Rowbotham).

There is a particular spot i have in mind, where a friend lives. To my, admittedly, untrained eye, the vista i can see, looking both north and south, seems to support the idea that the earth is flat. If i invest in the right camera equipment (something i know nothing about!) i intend to put the pictures up on the forum for everyone to see.

Mizuki x
"Earth is a maximal sphere in a cyclical space and its surface therefore a total plane, the equator plane of the Cosmos. The (total) plane, as well as the straight line and space as a whole, is flat, without curvature yet closed, running back on itself."

zarg

• Saudi Arabian inventor of Dr. Pepper
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 08:34:57 AM »
But what i wanted to know was if any of the members here had themselves been out and done some field-work actually taking photographs (a la Dr  Rowbotham).

Allegedly.

i intend to put the pictures up on the forum for everyone to see.

You would be the first.
Quote from: Cat Earth Theory
[Lord Wilmore's writings] are written the way a high schooler thinks an educated person should sound like.  The pathetic pseudo-academic writing can't hide the lack of any real substance.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 10:42:01 AM »
This year, probably late summer when i have some time, i intend to take some photographs that will hopefully add to the debate on the flat earth.

Is there a member here who can advise what is the best camera set-up for taking such long-distance topographical photos? Please bare in mind i have a limited budget, so won't be able to afford top-of-the-range- equipment?

Has anyone taken (and indeed, posted up on this forum) any photos of this nature?

Thank you, Mizuki x
Depends on what you mean by 'limited' budget.  A nice digital SLR (Nikon, or perhaps Canon, etc) with an interchangeble high-power zoom lense and a tripod would be ideal, but I think you'll be spending $1000 at least. 

For a couple hundred you can get a decent Nikon with an optical zoom, probably 12-14mp, and a cheap tripod.  Use the 'self-timer' to take a picture without any movement from your hands.  If the zoom isn't powerful enough, get a variable power spotting scope ($80 to a couple hundred, more money will get you better clarity of course), and make a camera mount for it, or buy one from the various telescope sites.  I saw one that came with a telescope, and I need to find it again to see if I can get just the mount.  It takes some messing around to find the right combo of camera zoom and positioning though.

Here's some examples of what to expect.

Here's with a 7.2mp Sony with the 3x optical zoom maxed looking at Mt Rainier.

Taken through some $30 12x 25mm-lense binoculars

Same as above, only with camera zoom used.  I was having some trouble with that left side.

Mt. St. Helens with just camera.

Camera and binos.

These were taken without a tripod, and the St. Helen pictures were taken in windy conditions and with very cold fingers, so with a better camera, better spotting scope, actual camera to scope mount (I was holding the binos in one hand, and the camera in the other) , and a tripod, one should get even better results.  I should also mention my camera has only has about a 17mm lense, which fits the eyepiece of the scopes pretty good.  It's the same setup I pictured in the 'sun-size' thread.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 07:06:49 PM by 29silhouette »

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 11:56:57 AM »
Nice pics of Mt Saint Helens, how fat away were you.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 01:32:09 PM »
Thanks.  I guess I should have included the distance for the pictures.  34 miles to St. Helens, and 30 to Rainier.

Might as well throw these in too.  St. Helens and Mt. Adams together with no zoom (or maybe just a tad, can't remember.  I took these last October)  Rainier was visible from this peak also, but the pics of it were from a different spot earlier in the day.

Adams through the binoculars with camera zoom.  Distance is about 56 miles.

Also, since cost is an issue, the camera was about $65 (several years ago), and the binoculars were $30.  So for around $100, there's the results you get.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 06:45:41 PM »
OP, read this

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/09/the-150-space-camera-mit-students-beat-nasa-on-beer-money-budget/

On a clear day I've seen from (edited) to Mt. Fairweather.  It's roughly 160 miles.  No point in me sharing really, but it's cool.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 01:01:47 AM by FlatOrange »
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

Rushy

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 06:55:08 PM »
I recently bought a Canon XSi camera and shutter remote for taking long exposure photos of the plain night sky and astrophotography. How is this relevant to a flat earth, you ask? Well, err, I don't know.

I do live very close to mountains looking over an endlessly flat plain in AZ. Maybe I'll post pictures of that, too.

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 07:15:07 PM »
I found the picture. I found it in an email. Lit up mountains on the right are no less than 150 miles away.
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 01:11:09 AM »
I recently bought a Canon XSi camera and shutter remote for taking long exposure photos of the plain night sky and astrophotography.
That's something like what I want.  I've dabbled in long exposure a few times, and the results are sometimes rewarding (always rewarding if you know what you're doing)

I bought a cheap point and shoot 35mm for $2 once, gutted it, rigging the shutter so it was always open, but I could hit the release and then wind it to the next frame.  Used a piece of electrical tape to cover the lense.  Loaded it with some 100 spd if I remember (13 yrs ago), and captured some really neat pictures- cars pulling out of the parking lot, laser pointer stuff, different colored lenses on a flash light, semi-transparent 'ghost' images of myself, etc.

currently I have a Canon AE-1 35mm I got from my grandma.  I have a cable-release for it, and did some lightning storm pictures, rotating stars, and some fireworks pictures, but I had to learn the film spd and aperature settings too, and can't seem to make a note of every picture I take, and then compare the results once I get the film back. 

Soooo............ I want a new digital that will do all that.  I can afford it, but I'm a cheapass.  (need a water-proof camera too for kayaking and riding, and a go-pro helmet cam too for similiar fun.)

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 05:39:43 AM »
those are some very nice pictures. ive taken shots through a telescope before and i was surprised how good they were. i only used my phone too. i hope the photos are good anyway. i wish others remembered thier camera while looking through telescopes. but thats another story

Rushy

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 09:47:16 AM »
I recently bought a Canon XSi camera and shutter remote for taking long exposure photos of the plain night sky and astrophotography.
That's something like what I want.  I've dabbled in long exposure a few times, and the results are sometimes rewarding (always rewarding if you know what you're doing)

I bought a cheap point and shoot 35mm for $2 once, gutted it, rigging the shutter so it was always open, but I could hit the release and then wind it to the next frame.  Used a piece of electrical tape to cover the lense.  Loaded it with some 100 spd if I remember (13 yrs ago), and captured some really neat pictures- cars pulling out of the parking lot, laser pointer stuff, different colored lenses on a flash light, semi-transparent 'ghost' images of myself, etc.

currently I have a Canon AE-1 35mm I got from my grandma.  I have a cable-release for it, and did some lightning storm pictures, rotating stars, and some fireworks pictures, but I had to learn the film spd and aperature settings too, and can't seem to make a note of every picture I take, and then compare the results once I get the film back. 

Soooo............ I want a new digital that will do all that.  I can afford it, but I'm a cheapass.  (need a water-proof camera too for kayaking and riding, and a go-pro helmet cam too for similiar fun.)

My first night of photos resulted in nothing but murky tan colored skies due to intense light pollution. I'll have to go up to the mountains to get any good photos. Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who made a bunch of "ghost" pictures.

?

Mizuki

• Earth is NOT a Globe
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 12:44:26 PM »
Thank you for all the info, guys. Especially 29silhouettte - you obviously have a good knowledge of photography. Your pictures are very impressive.

The only camera i have is on my phone (Nokia N8). It's great for taking snaps, but i'm going to have to invest in something a bit more substantial for what i have in mind.

Mizuki x