The Moon: A Helpful Guide to Avoid its Hazards

• 130 Replies
?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
Re: The Moon: A Helpful Guide to Avoid its Hazards
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 06:36:39 AM »
Stating that you are immune to moonlight is both ignorant and dangerous.

And correct.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 06:43:21 AM »
Remember, most humans have evolved to be immune to moonlight.

This statement is very wrong.  People think that they are immune to moonlight because they spend hours at a time in the moonlight with no ill effects.  Moonlight won't kill you from one night of exposure.  It's like standing outside a bar smoking a cigarette saying, "It's okay, I'm immune to lung cancer.  I've been smoking for months and I'm fine." Stating that you are immune to moonlight is both ignorant and dangerous.

Do you have any research that conclusively links moon light exposure to negative health issues in humans?  Last I heard any reported links were tenuous at best.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 08:20:38 AM »
Posting unsubstantiated claims of harm is immoral and harmful. FEers should be ashamed for the harm they would cause if anyone believed this outlandish thread.
What harm does avoiding moonlight cause? Of course, the claims of moonlight's harm are ridiculous and unsubstantiated, but you seem to tell people that being overly careful harms them.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2012, 08:22:40 AM »
If Starbuck says its okay, that is all the proof we need.

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2012, 09:36:58 AM »
Posting unsubstantiated claims of harm is immoral and harmful. FEers should be ashamed for the harm they would cause if anyone believed this outlandish thread.
What harm does avoiding moonlight cause? Of course, the claims of moonlight's harm are ridiculous and unsubstantiated, but you seem to tell people that being overly careful harms them.
Yes, being overly careful is harmful. Avoiding moonlight would cause people working outdoors, say like construction workers, to avoid working. Avoiding moonlight would also mean avoiding going for groceries and prescriptions.
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

Rushy

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2012, 10:28:49 AM »
Yes, being overly careful is harmful. Avoiding moonlight would cause people working outdoors, say like construction workers, to avoid working. Avoiding moonlight would also mean avoiding going for groceries and prescriptions.

I'm not saying if you stand in moonlight that you burn up and die in an instant. I'm saying you should dress and plan appropriately should the need arise. A thick white hooded jacket should be substantial protection from even a full moon. Blue tinted glasses would also be recommended on full moon nights.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2012, 11:02:34 AM »
i posted one serious post... funny how its overlooked

It was probably overlooked because it was off-topic and irrelevant.  Interesting perhaps, but irrelevant nonetheless.

how was my post off topic? i was just stating something about the effects of moon light. something that has been shown through scientific study. probably the only thing on here about the moons effect that has been shown through real studies

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2012, 11:10:52 AM »

I'm not saying if you stand in moonlight that you burn up and die in an instant. I'm saying you should dress and plan appropriately should the need arise. A thick white hooded jacket should be substantial protection from even a full moon. Blue tinted glasses would also be recommended on full moon nights.
Please post your longitudinal studies that support your outlandish claims that jackets and glasses prevent real harm from the Moon's light. I'd hate to have to conclude that you're just making it up.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2012, 12:30:06 PM »

It was probably overlooked because it was off-topic and irrelevant.  Interesting perhaps, but irrelevant nonetheless.

how was my post off topic? i was just stating something about the effects of moon light. something that has been shown through scientific study. probably the only thing on here about the moons effect that has been shown through real studies

Its connection to the topic was tenuous at best. It seemed to me to be more a post about excessive light rather than the effects of moonlight. Now, I'm not dismissing your idea, it can at least warrant a thread of its own. If such a thread sprung up, I would happily engage you in discussion. However, it's rather off-topic here.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2012, 12:57:37 PM »
If Starbuck says its okay, that is all the proof we need.

Starbuck is pat of the Conspiracy. Don't listen to them.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2012, 02:37:28 PM »

Its connection to the topic was tenuous at best. It seemed to me to be more a post about excessive light rather than the effects of moonlight. Now, I'm not dismissing your idea, it can at least warrant a thread of its own. If such a thread sprung up, I would happily engage you in discussion. However, it's rather off-topic here.

im refering to the nature of a full moon, its very light on a few days when the moon is present, it may deserve its own thread but there isnt much to discuss. i mentioned the sun also just to note that the sun is known to be more of a hazard than the moon. perhaps the best course of action is to close the blinds and work from home

Rushy

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2012, 06:51:02 PM »
The ultimate course of action is to never go outside and live in an underground bunker. Where you will press a button every 108 minutes or the world will end.

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2012, 07:59:59 AM »
The ultimate course of action is to never go outside and live in an underground bunker. Where you will press a button every 108 minutes or the world will end.

I was told off for making references to Lost, so you can't do it either  :P
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2012, 11:10:41 AM »

A big white hooded jacket and blue sunglasses.  I think that would be a good look for me.

A question for you if I may... do you believe images of the moon are harmful too?  I recall a moon discussion awhile back where it was stated that images of the moon from a TV or computer screen were also harmful. 

I posted an image of four squares, one being a single pixel taken from a moon image, the other three being light grey squares made with photoshop, to see if anybody could detect the evil or harmfull light, but there were no takers.

Rushy

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2012, 12:35:20 PM »

A big white hooded jacket and blue sunglasses.  I think that would be a good look for me.

A question for you if I may... do you believe images of the moon are harmful too?  I recall a moon discussion awhile back where it was stated that images of the moon from a TV or computer screen were also harmful. 

I posted an image of four squares, one being a single pixel taken from a moon image, the other three being light grey squares made with photoshop, to see if anybody could detect the evil or harmfull light, but there were no takers.

If you take a picture of the sun, does the picture emit UV radiation? No? Then no, pictures of the moon are not harmful.

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2012, 01:19:03 PM »
If you take a picture of the sun, does the picture emit UV radiation? No? Then no, pictures of the moon are not harmful.
Does the Moon emit UV radiation? No? Then no, the Moon's light is not harmful. (Thanks for the example!)

Rushy

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2012, 01:42:46 PM »
Does the Moon emit UV radiation? No? Then no, the Moon's light is not harmful. (Thanks for the example!)

Actually the moon does emit UV radiation. I'm not sure why you thought it did not.

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »

Actually the moon does emit UV radiation. I'm not sure why you thought it did not.
I have no knowledge or reason to believe that the Moon does so, but thanks for playing.

Rushy

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2012, 01:56:09 PM »

I have no knowledge or reason to believe that the Moon does so, but thanks for playing.

Ignorance is not an excuse. I like how you say "thanks for playing" every time you get defeated. Perhaps this is simply a game after all.

?

Around And About

• Circular Logic Falls Flat
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2012, 02:03:54 PM »
Quote from: The Straight Dope
And while we're all here: Some will occasionally claim that since the moon reflects UV radiation, staying out too long when it's full can get you a case of "moonburn." In medical parlance, these people are known as half-wits. The moon's only 0.0002 percent as bright as the sun and reflects UV light only about half as well as it does visible light; thus, eight hours of top-strength moonlight delivers less UV-B than a second of sun.

Heh. But yes, ClockTower appears to be incorrect, however insignificantly in this instance.
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

Rushy

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2012, 02:07:36 PM »
Our moonburn is not caused by UV radiation. It was an irrelevant argument caused by ClockTower's relentless derail attempts. At least this time it was ended quickly.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2012, 02:11:41 PM »
Our moonburn is not caused by UV radiation.

Then what sort of radiation does cause moonburn?

Rushy

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2012, 02:14:39 PM »

Moon radiation.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »

Moon radiation.

Thanks for the clarification.  ::)

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2012, 02:46:22 PM »

Moon radiation.
1) How do you know then that moon radiation doesn't come from photographs of the Moon?
2) To me, 'emit' means 'produce'. I don't see any documentation that the Moon produces UV. Just like a mirror doesn't emit an image, so the Moon doesn't emit UV.
3) You're making the outlandish claim, the burden of proof, or at least evidence, rests with you.
4) Claiming 'moon radiation' would be special pleading, again.
5) If 'moonburn' is not caused by UV radiation, why did you bring up this irrelevant form of radiation?

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2012, 02:52:08 PM »

A great big radiating sky object cannot be so casually dismissed as a zero risk factor as some here think and unless you think the moon's temp is absolute zero, the thing's radiating.  No?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 03:06:57 PM by Mrs. Peach »

Rushy

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2012, 03:04:49 PM »
1) How do you know then that moon radiation doesn't come from photographs of the Moon?

We just discussed this.

2) To me, 'emit' means 'produce'. I don't see any documentation that the Moon produces UV. Just like a mirror doesn't emit an image, so the Moon doesn't emit UV.

Luckily, the English language doesn't look to ClockTower every time it wants to know what a word means.

3) You're making the outlandish claim, the burden of proof, or at least evidence, rests with you.

Incorrect.

Its not, actually. It is simply vague.

5) If 'moonburn' is not caused by UV radiation, why did you bring up this irrelevant form of radiation?

Radiation has multiple meanings. I suggest you look them up while you're discovering what "emit" means.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 03:07:55 PM by Irushwithscvs »

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2012, 03:24:27 PM »

We just discussed this.

Luckily, the English language doesn't look to ClockTower every time it wants to know what a word means.

Incorrect.

Its not, actually. It is simply vague.

Radiation has multiple meanings. I suggest you look them up while you're discovering what "emit" means.
Incorrect and/or evasive. Do come back when you wish to have a sensible debate. You probably should start with showing what evidence you have that there is any harm caused by 'moon radiation' that is more harmful than 'sun radiation'. Do stop making things up.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2012, 03:24:33 PM »

A great big radiating sky object cannot be so casually dismissed as a zero risk factor as some here think and unless you think the moon's temp is absolute zero, the thing's radiating.  No?

Exposure to moon radiation is limited by its very nature.  First of all, the moon is only ever above the horizon less than 50% of the time.  Secondly, because of its cyclic nature, moonlight is only emitted 50% of the time.  Thirdly, the greatest concentration of moonlight is at night, a time when people tend to be less active anyways.  Because of these factors, all this fear mongering about the dangers of moon light is silly and getting exceedingly tiresome.

Rushy

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
Incorrect and/or evasive. Do come back when you wish to have a sensible debate. You probably should start with showing what evidence you have that there is any harm caused by 'moon radiation' that is more harmful than 'sun radiation'. Do stop making things up.

Giving up so soon?