Détroit de Béring

• 50 Replies

zarg

• Saudi Arabian inventor of Dr. Pepper
Re: Détroit de Béring
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2012, 07:33:29 PM »
I can use a ruler to measure the length of peas and be completely satisfied with the results.  That does not mean that it's going to be accurate though.

You have completely ignored my point. Please try to focus. Let's try again, one step at a time.

Read this carefully, Pongo:

there is no map of the earth's surface which we hold as accepted or accurate.

Do you understand what is meant by this statement? Is it correct? Yes or no.
Quote from: Cat Earth Theory
[Lord Wilmore's writings] are written the way a high schooler thinks an educated person should sound like.  The pathetic pseudo-academic writing can't hide the lack of any real substance.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2012, 08:23:52 PM »
Yes.

zarg

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2012, 08:27:07 PM »
There is a map of the Earth's surface that RE'ers hold as accepted and accurate.

Do you understand what is meant by this statement? Is it correct? Yes or no.
[Lord Wilmore's writings] are written the way a high schooler thinks an educated person should sound like.  The pathetic pseudo-academic writing can't hide the lack of any real substance.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2012, 08:34:30 PM »
Yes.

zarg

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2012, 08:45:49 PM »
And so, according to RE belief, there is no reason for a RE'er to charter a boat from Alaska to Russia (for instance) because they hold that a globe is already accurate.

But, according to FE belief, there is a reason, because they don't hold that the distances are known and have yet to create an accurate map.

You claimed that RE'ers' objections to going on boat trips is the same as yours. This is utterly false and you just admitted as much. RE'ers believe that others before us have already done so and created accurate maps. FE'ers do not believe anyone has done so yet.

I ask again: If FES doesn't explore the world and find its true measurements, who will?

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 08:49:57 PM »
And so, according to RE belief, there is no reason for a RE'er to charter a boat from Alaska to Russia (for instance) because they hold that a globe is already accurate.

But, according to FE belief, there is a reason, because they don't hold that the distances are known and have yet to create an accurate map.

You claimed that RE'ers' objections to going on boat trips is the same as yours. This is utterly false and you just admitted as much. RE'ers believe that others before us have already done so and created accurate maps. FE'ers do not believe anyone has done so yet.

I ask again: If FES doesn't explore the world and find its true measurements, who will?

No, I only agreed that Round-Earther's think that they have an accurate map.  Think that you are right and being right are not the same thing.  I would charter a boat and explore the world though, if I had the means.  It sounds like a fantastic and exciting adventure.

zarg

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2012, 09:04:20 PM »
Think that you are right and being right are not the same thing.

Focus, damn it. We are not debating who is right. I am describing beliefs. You tried to get kosh5 to sympathize with your point of view by saying that you have no reason to go on expeditions because you already believe that you know the answers it would uncover, just as kosh5 already believes that the results would match the accepted globe map.

The problem is that this was a false statement. Unlike RE'ers, FE'ers do not believe that they already have the answers it would uncover. Thus your reasoning for avoiding such experiments is invalid.

I ask a third time:
If FES doesn't explore the world and find its true measurements, who will?
When will you answer this?

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2012, 03:33:47 AM »
Sure, Zarg.

And I'd like to say too :

if there is a world conspiracy who lies to us (99.9999 % of the humans believe world is round), FE Believers MUST to destroy this conspiracy and prove that world is not round. How ? Very easy : a boat trip between Alaska and Russia...

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2012, 11:50:48 AM »
Think that you are right and being right are not the same thing.

Focus, damn it. We are not debating who is right. I am describing beliefs. You tried to get kosh5 to sympathize with your point of view by saying that you have no reason to go on expeditions because you already believe that you know the answers it would uncover, just as kosh5 already believes that the results would match the accepted globe map.

The problem is that this was a false statement. Unlike RE'ers, FE'ers do not believe that they already have the answers it would uncover. Thus your reasoning for avoiding such experiments is invalid.

I ask a third time:
If FES doesn't explore the world and find its true measurements, who will?
When will you answer this?

I didn't mean to convay that I/we didn't have a reason to go, I said that the motivation isn't as strong as one might think. Also, this may come as a suprise to you, but most of us here are not trying to prove to the world that the Earth is flat. We aren't holding press confrences, we don't go to other sites to spread our beliefs, and we frankly don't care how many others agree with us.  However, if someone wants to come to our society and discuss topics of a flat Earth, we are more happy to engage them.

I believe I answered your thrice asked question in my last post I would love to go on an expadition but do not have the means. If you would like an arbitrary date when I will be leaving, I can give you one. April 20th 2014, but don't get mad at me when that date comes and goes without me leaving.

zarg

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2012, 01:16:30 PM »
I didn't mean to convay that I/we didn't have a reason to go, I said that the motivation isn't as strong as one might think.

Bullshit. Stop backpedaling and being dishonest. This is what you said:

I demand that you charter a boat from Alaska to Russia to prove that the earth is round.
Your strong objections are the same that we feel but on the other side.
it's the exact same reasons you aren't planning the exact same expedition to prove your point. I'm sure you have monatary or scheduling constraints and you're perfectly happy with the evidence you have from behind your computer.

You said the motivation to go is lacking for the "exact same reasons" as it is on the other side. False. RE's reason is that it has already been done. It has not according to FE.

You demanded that the RE side charter a boat and gather their own measurements instead, implying that they haven't already done so. False premise.

You said that both sides have evidence available that renders the experiment unnecessary. False.  FE'ers do not have any evidence of distances that they trust.

FE'ers suffer from a paranoia that a majority of cartography and astronomy and a good chunk of physics are lies. RE'ers are not bound by such restrictions. We are most certainly not in the same boat.  ("boat", get it?)

Also, this may come as a suprise to you, but most of us here are not trying to prove to the world that the Earth is flat.

It's not just about proving it to the rest of the world. As the globe was being mapped, explorers were not doing it to prove what shape it was, they were doing it for the exploration itself; the quest for knowledge. If you "zetetics" are the truth-seekers you claim to be, purposefully not lifting a finger to learn things that you freely admit are still unknown to you is hypocritical and suspicious.

You are only willing to conduct small local experiments that are inconclusive at best. And don't tell me it's all due to financial constraints. See the ISS photography thread, my traceroute thread, the USB dongle in the CubeSat thread, and many others. All inexpensive experiments that FE'ers ran away from for no discernible reason other than fear of contrary evidence.

I believe I answered your thrice asked question in my last post I would love to go on an expadition but do not have the means. If you would like an arbitrary date when I will be leaving, I can give you one. April 20th 2014, but don't get mad at me when that date comes and goes without me leaving.

My question was concerning scientific progress. In your mind, cartography has not progressed for centuries, and the only people who realize it are FE'ers, so it's up to you. If none of you care about progress, that says a lot about your society.

When you go on your expedition, what measurement devices do you plan to bring with you?

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2012, 02:27:36 PM »
Okay, my mistake.  Demanding you take an expedition was obviously not something you could handle.  I was trying simply to make a point but that has been missed so woefully it's horrifying. My apologies, I'll never try this tactic again.  It was indeed a mistake and I am again sorry.

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2012, 02:34:41 PM »
Okay, my mistake.  Demanding you take an expedition was obviously not something you could handle.  I was trying simply to make a point but that has been missed so woefully it's horrifying. My apologies, I'll never try this tactic again.  It was indeed a mistake and I am again sorry.
I just love Pongo's ability to apologize with an insult. Perhaps, he'll mature.

Now, REers make expeditions every day. Indeed Expedition 30's six member crew will be on the ISS until March, just as one example.
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

Rushy

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2012, 02:40:19 PM »
Now, REers make expeditions every day. Indeed Expedition 30's six member crew will be on the ISS until March, just as one example.

Okay, my mistake.  Demanding you take an expedition was obviously not something you could handle.

Demanding you

you

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 03:10:12 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2012, 02:41:32 PM »

I know they do, I'm sorry.  You guys just don't get it.  My bad.

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2012, 03:26:43 PM »

Okay, my mistake.  Demanding you take an expedition was obviously not something you could handle.

Demanding you

you
Did you need help with the definition of "you"?

Quote from: google.com
you/yo͞o/
Pronoun:   
-Used to refer to the person or people that the speaker is addressing: "are you listening?"; "I love you".
-Used to refer to the person being addressed together with other people regarded in the same class: "you Australians".

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2012, 03:28:02 PM »

I know they do, I'm sorry.  You guys just don't get it.  My bad.
Did you need help in leaving the upper fora to serious postings?

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?board=7.0

Rushy

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2012, 05:10:34 PM »
New ClockTower Fact: He thinks of himself as a multitude of people. Be careful. When you address ClockTower, you're addressing ALL of him!

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2012, 05:47:17 PM »
New ClockTower Fact: He thinks of himself as a multitude of people. Be careful. When you address ClockTower, you're addressing ALL of him!
Since when is being a member of a group the same as being a group? I suspect his logic failure here is very telling of all of the FEers.

Any example of RE expeditions would be airline flights, particularly in the SH. Of course, just because I fly as one of the passengers from time to time does not mean I'm the entire expedition.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2012, 10:08:02 PM »
how about not proving the wold but researching for yourself? the flatties who post here have some sort of passion for either flat earth belief or simply posting on a forum. either way if i was so passionate about something and believed in it so strongly id go out there and fill in the gaps!
this is why i think ALL of the fes are here just to say "look at me im different". you all go on and on about how wrong the general population are yet nobody is even certain what they are argueing for.
when the fes start taking themselves seriously other will do the same

p.s shame to have a rant as i signed up a year ago today :)

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2012, 12:21:01 PM »
Okay, so : believers believe that earth is flat but don't want to prove their theory, and destroy this "round earth" conspiration. Believers don't want to see themself this legend of thousands KM between Alaska and Russia.

Everybody is really OK with that ?

Well... so, no one of believers is serious. You have a theory but you don't want to assume it and prove it.

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2012, 12:25:41 PM »
the flatties who post here have some sort of passion for either flat earth belief or simply posting on a forum.

It's the latter.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.