It's Game Over for 'Flat Earth' Theorists!

• 48 Replies
Re: It's Game Over for 'Flat Earth' Theorists!
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 06:05:47 PM »
That is the effects of bendy light on the sun's rays.  Of course, you would know this Markjo as it is discussed in another thread.
I see. So you need 'bendy light', which according to FE theory affects almost exclusively light rays parallel to the Earth, to do even more, without details, math, or predictions. So you rely on undocumented 'magic' to answer a new challenge. That would be special pleading.
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

Lorddave

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 06:27:39 PM »
Can we just look at the pretty pictures of our home planet without resorting to asking what shape it is? 
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

Around And About

• Circular Logic Falls Flat
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 06:45:06 PM »
Can we just look at the pretty pictures of our home planet without resorting to asking what shape it is?

Probably not on a forum dedicated to the discussion and debate concerning the shape of the earth, no.  ::)
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

zarg

• Saudi Arabian inventor of Dr. Pepper
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 08:04:51 PM »
That is the effects of bendy light on the sun's rays.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/wiki/index.php?title=Electromagnetic_Accelerator

Nope. This does not explain what we're seeing in that photo whatsoever.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 08:07:41 PM by zarg »
Quote from: Cat Earth Theory
[Lord Wilmore's writings] are written the way a high schooler thinks an educated person should sound like.  The pathetic pseudo-academic writing can't hide the lack of any real substance.

El Cid

• ...And the truth shall set you free.
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 09:26:53 PM »
Day and night in FET:

The shadow, in that image, seems to be curved.  A balloon camera in space just got a lot harder for FET to explain.

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2012, 09:45:33 PM »
Day and night in FET:

The shadow, in that image, seems to be curved.  A balloon camera in space just got a lot harder for FET to explain.
I have to observe that your gif represents the illumination pattern on the equinoxes. From April to August , the illumination area is indeed more oval, a concave shape. From October to February it is closer to a shape that is all but a an oval, a convex shape.

Remember the recurring RE comment that on the first day of Summer in the SH, you must look south to the Sun from the far side of Antarctica (north of the SP and south of the Antarctic Circle). Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_sun. But FET says the Sun will be to the north. Tom has special pleaded that 'magic mirrors' are involved.

Lorddave

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2012, 03:23:36 AM »

Probably not on a forum dedicated to the discussion and debate concerning the shape of the earth, no.  ::)
Oh is that where I am? I thought I was on the amateur photography site what with all the pictures being used as proof.
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2012, 05:56:44 AM »
You are not taking your own advice, assuming a planet.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2012, 06:32:32 AM »
Day and night in FET:

It didn't get harder at all. It's as simple as always, and my old explanation matches it perfectly.

The light you drew on the known Earth is just part of the very large circle cast by the Sun. Consider the following:

Picture not to scale, only intended to illustrate the concept.

As we make the lit area larger, the lit area on the Earth becomes progressively closer to half the area of the Earth, whilst remaining curved.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2012, 06:43:20 AM »
Day and night in FET:

It didn't get harder at all. It's as simple as always, and my old explanation matches it perfectly.

The light you drew on the known Earth is just part of the very large circle cast by the Sun. Consider the following:

As we make the lit area larger, the lit area on the Earth becomes progressively closer to half the area of the Earth, whilst remaining curved.

However, this idea suffers from the fact that as the circle gets larger and larger, the sun gets farther and farther from being directly above the equator.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Thork

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2012, 07:09:05 AM »
However, this idea suffers from the fact that as the circle gets larger and larger, the sun gets farther and farther from being directly above the equator.

Quote from: http://tinyurl.com/78kc4lg
e·qua·tor/iˈkwātər/
Noun:   
An imaginary line drawn around the earth equally distant from both poles, dividing the earth into northern and southern hemispheres and constituting the parallel of latitude 0°
So the earth adheres to the laws of your imagination? RErs are deranged. :-\
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 07:10:54 AM by Thork »

zarg

• Saudi Arabian inventor of Dr. Pepper
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2012, 09:36:49 AM »
The light you drew on the known Earth is just part of the very large circle cast by the Sun.

Nope.
Quote from: Cat Earth Theory
[Lord Wilmore's writings] are written the way a high schooler thinks an educated person should sound like.  The pathetic pseudo-academic writing can't hide the lack of any real substance.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2012, 11:16:52 AM »

Quote from: http://tinyurl.com/78kc4lg
e·qua·tor/iˈkwātər/
Noun:   
An imaginary line drawn around the earth equally distant from both poles, dividing the earth into northern and southern hemispheres and constituting the parallel of latitude 0°
So the earth adheres to the laws of your imagination? RErs are deranged. :-\

Please refer to this diagram (that PizzaPlanet so graciously provided) and think about where the sun would be located relative to the inhabited regions of the FE in order to make the circular day/night terminator appear straight, then ask yourself who is deranged.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

El Cid

• ...And the truth shall set you free.
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2012, 03:15:35 PM »
Day and night in FET:

I assume you're talking about the spotlight sun, even though that was previously referred to as the FAQ being wrong.

Also, the line should be straight.

Summer & Winter solcstice:

Vernal & Autumnal Equinoxes:

Of course, if you look at it from various angles, the line will appear to be curved on a sphere.  This is not true on a disc.  Your circle doesn't solve anything, because the curvature depends on the angle of the view, just like we learned in art class.

To summarize:  amateur space pictures will be at different angles when above the Earth's atmosphere, hence changing the curvature.  No circle spotlight solves this.

It just goes to show that FE'ers just make stuff up.

?

Thork

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2012, 03:41:47 PM »
The fact RE sunshine can be straight, curved or whatever you like depending on where you view it from, shows you're ready to except absolutely any sunlight solution you are given, as long as you don't have to change your idea about earth's shape.

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2012, 03:45:45 PM »
The fact RE sunshine can be straight, curved or whatever you like depending on where you view it from, shows you're ready to exceptaccept absolutely any sunlight solution you are given, as long as you don't have to change your idea about earth's shape.
Where did he say anything about RE sunshine's shape, let alone accepting that he would accept any sunlight solution?

?

Thork

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2012, 04:04:20 PM »
Thank you for the grammar correction. If I am honest the site is ringing up so many spelling mistakes for me at the moment that I am becoming increasingly p*ssed off at it. My laptop died and I am now using a different one, but the forum settings are now back to US English and so it squiggles under everything. I got sick of checking all those stupid "use a 'z' instead of and 's' and 'or' not 'our' corrections that I haven't been proof-reading my posts. If you can remind me how to set the forum back to the Queen's English I would be very grateful as its driving me bonkers.

As for any sunshine solution, he was happy for it to be curved or flat on a round earth. He'd just put that down to position. That's a total acceptance of globular opinion without challenging the reality of the situation. The other thing I find vehemently irritating is the assumption that the RE model is right and that is how sunlight is, so it must be that shape on an FE or not work. There is no proof RE sunlight models are correct nor that the continents are laid out as RET suggests. This is jumping to step 5 before steps 1 and 2 are looked at.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 04:05:56 PM by Thork »

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2012, 05:37:24 PM »
Thank you for the grammar correction. If I am honest the site is ringing up so many spelling mistakes for me at the moment that I am becoming increasingly p*ssed off at it. My laptop died and I am now using a different one, but the forum settings are now back to US English and so it squiggles under everything. I got sick of checking all those stupid "use a 'z' instead of and 's' and 'or' not 'our' corrections that I haven't been proof-reading my posts. If you can remind me how to set the forum back to the Queen's English I would be very grateful as its driving me bonkers.
That's usually a browser setting... What browser are you using?

Here's Chrome:

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2012, 05:41:50 PM »
As for any sunshine solution, he was happy for it to be curved or flat on a round earth. He'd just put that down to position. That's a total acceptance of globular opinion without challenging the reality of the situation. The other thing I find vehemently irritating is the assumption that the RE model is right and that is how sunlight is, so it must be that shape on an FE or not work. There is no proof RE sunlight models are correct nor that the continents are laid out as RET suggests. This is jumping to step 5 before steps 1 and 2 are looked at.
I'm afraid that's just wishful thinking. The reality of the Sun's illumination is well documented. I have posted links to outdoor webcams (many with years of archives) and almanacs regularly, even yesterday. With the evidence in hand, it's really easy to see that RET accurately predicts the Sun's illumination, and even the apparent position in the observer's sky.

But you probably already knew that.