Emails from Public Officials

• 11 Replies

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
Emails from Public Officials
« on: January 21, 2012, 09:16:57 AM »
I felt this was worthwhile reason to post, to see the general opinion here and talk about this.

I have recently been signed up to a mail list by Bob Corker (TN) without, I believe, consent.  I emailed to protest quite a few of his policies and bills he supports (including SOPA).  The mass of emails from me and other users done goofed his internets.  Presumably, he decided to turn lime into limeade and add all these users to a mailing list.

Now I can just opp out now, but thats not the point.  He didn't legally have the right to add me in the first place. 

Should I do anything?  What Can I do?  Has anyone else had this happen in their state?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: Emails from Public Officials
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 09:22:31 AM »
Is there actually a statute against adding someone to a mailing list without their consent? OR perhaps is there a tricky little thing that says if you email someone it's the same as giving consent? Like, if you use a company's services, they then have the right to ignore the do not call list.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 09:27:06 AM »
How dare he send you emails.
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

Lorddave

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 09:56:36 AM »
I felt this was worthwhile reason to post, to see the general opinion here and talk about this.

I have recently been signed up to a mail list by Bob Corker (TN) without, I believe, consent.  I emailed to protest quite a few of his policies and bills he supports (including SOPA).  The mass of emails from me and other users done goofed his internets.  Presumably, he decided to turn lime into limeade and add all these users to a mailing list.

Now I can just opp out now, but thats not the point.  He didn't legally have the right to add me in the first place. 

Should I do anything?  What Can I do?  Has anyone else had this happen in their state?
E-mails are like phones, no one is banned from calling/e-mailing you unless you specifically tell them.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 10:33:05 AM »
As it turns out, this happens to be one place where EU law and US law differ.  Its perfectly fine for him to do this in the US, but in the UK its not.

To those interested:
Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 10:33:54 AM »
How dare he send you emails.
I wouldn't have minded if he sent me emails.  He instead added me to a mailing list.

Yes, I realize I'm being silly, but it still strikes me poorly.  Apparently, the EU it strikes others poorly as well.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 10:35:18 AM »
As it turns out, this happens to be one place where EU law and US law differ.

Are you sure?

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 10:38:02 AM »
One time a friend of my sent (negative)mail to Bush's office and recieved a signed picture. "Thank you for your support!"
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 12:13:07 PM »
As it turns out, this happens to be one place where EU law and US law differ.  Its perfectly fine for him to do this in the US, but in the UK its not.

To those interested:
Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003
Hm. I know that in the UK this can't be done, but I'm surprised the EUSSR is involved in such things as this.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

?

Thork

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 04:08:05 PM »
Presumably, he decided to turn lime into limeade
I lol'd.

US has separate rules to UK, but it still has rules.
You can hamper his campaign overnight if you have the energy. If he is e-mailing you and it is unsolicited, that makes him a spammer. And spammers can have their IP address nominated to the MAPS RBLSM (Realtime Blackhole List) Listings.

http://www.mail-abuse.org/nominats.html

With his campaign servers in the blackhole, communicating is gonna be a real pig. Even those who want his junk mail, won't get it. It would be annoying for him.

?

Thork

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 04:18:01 PM »

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 06:35:17 AM »
I knew the US had a law for commercial opt-in mail lists, but thanks for the link that confirms it applies also to this.  I kept finding irrelevant info ona different set of laws.  I'm going to link into my other options for the spam first as it suggests.