Yeeloong Notebook vs Raspberry Pi

• 82 Replies
?

Thork

Yeeloong Notebook vs Raspberry Pi
« on: January 01, 2012, 01:24:01 PM »
I thought we should look at Parsifal's communist laptop, and compare it to the Raspberry Pi that is out later this month.

Yeeloong NotebookRaspberry Pi
Cost$500$25-$35
Processor800-900 MHz Loongson 2F 700 MHz ARM1176JZF-S core
Dimensions L*H*T255*188*250(mm)85*54*17(mm)
GraphicsSMI712Broadcom VideoCore IV,[26] OpenGL ES 2.0, 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode
Memory1024 MiB256 MiB
Weight1100g45g
Operating SystemsGNU/LinuxDebian GNU/Linux, Fedora, Arch Linux
Storage8 Gb SSD2 Gb SD card
ManufacturedChinese SweatshopBritish Laboratory

The Raspberry Pi is the size of a credit card and boasts similar power to the communist offering. It is also 'free' as in people are free to copy the design and clone the machine. They are not protecting the patents.
Quote from: Raspberry Pi's executive director, Eben Upton
We do hope third parties will be able to manufacture clones.
Unlike the evil Chinese laptop, it is made by the Raspberry Pi Foundation, a charitable organization registered with the Charity Commission.

So the Raspberry Pi is more 'free', performs comparably, costs 1/20th as much for the base model, is made in the UK and is the size of a credit card.

So ... will Parsifal buy one? Ethically it is the right thing to support (its for education primarily), its as free as a bird and it could be used for almost anything from making a robot wars robot to manufacturing a scud missile in your garage.

Also $35. Lol at Parsifal.  ;D

PS - I am trying to get one of the first 10,000. I am on the mailing list. I think I stand little chance, but I'll try. No, you're right, I have no intention of using it. Those first 10,000 are going to be worth way more than their retail price. Muhahahahah!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 01:26:21 PM by Thork »

Rushy

Re: Yeeloong Notebook vs Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 01:26:25 PM »
I'm buying forty of them.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 01:27:52 PM »
So, what does this actually do?
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

?

Thork

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 01:32:31 PM »
I'm buying forty of them.
I would, but I think they will prioritise small orders. Its supposed to be non-profit and to get as many to children as possible. They also want as many people to use the product and develop it as possible. For this reason I think you stand a better chance if you just order one in the debut batch.
After that, fill your boots.

So, what does this actually do?
Anything. Its a computer. Play Quake 3 at upto 20fps on full settings, rip a DVD, browse the internet, make it look after your aquarium, put it in your car and run your ICE from it. Its as powerful as a smartphone (only the galaxy 2 thing is more powerful) and costs only $35.
Its designed to be an open computer for kids to hack the shit out of. No restrictions. Its supposed to teach them all the skills people learnt 30 years ago about how computers work when you were dicking about with your commodore 64 or bbc.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 03:51:36 PM »
How do you navigate on that shit? It doesn't even have a screen.

Rushy

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 03:54:59 PM »

Close your eyes and pretend?

?

Thork

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 04:29:51 PM »
Plug it into stuff. It will work on almost anything. An old TV, a PC monitor, even a smart phone with a bit of perseverance. As for navigating, plug a usb keyboard into it. Its a computer. Not an actual raspberry pie.

These are disposable computers. Make a security system out of cheap web cams with one, make a laptop gun from one of these and a supersoaker, make a computer guided rocket with some left over fireworks and hit the house of that old lady with all the cats, make a robot that fights other robots, set up a hydroponics centre to look after your "student vegetables", create your own spambot army with them. NASA allegedly put a man on the moon with a fraction of the power. That's the whole point. It is supposed to spark the imagination of a new generation of nerds.
Or, you can just use it as a linux computer.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 04:31:44 PM »
Plug it into stuff. It will work on almost anything. An old TV, a PC monitor, even a smart phone with a bit of perseverance. As for navigating, plug a usb keyboard into it. Its a computer. Not an actual raspberry pie.

These are disposable computers. Make a security system out of cheap web cams with one, make a laptop gun from one of these and a supersoaker, make a computer guided rocket with some left over fireworks and hit the house of that old lady with all the cats, make a robot that fights other robots, set up a hydroponics centre to look after your "student vegetables", create your own spambot army with them. NASA allegedly put a man on the moon with a fraction of the power. That's the whole point. It is supposed to spark the imagination of a new generation of nerds.
Or, you can just use it as a linux computer.

>carry around a monitor

Cool portability bro

How is this better than the Yeeloong again?

?

Thork

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 04:32:54 PM »
$475.

Ocius

• Official Member
  • Space President
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 04:37:24 PM »
I'm going to make a missile with it and blow up the Yeeloong factory.

?

Thork

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 04:39:12 PM »
That would be a very worthwhile project.

See Blanko. It is already inspiring young people to do cool things. What did the Yeeloong ever inspire anyone to do?

Rushy

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 04:39:28 PM »
Enough of these things could do some serious folding@home contributions.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 04:39:46 PM »
$475.

Not including monitor, keyboard and mouse.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 04:41:01 PM »

How do you propose you're going to make this missile?

Enough of these things could do some serious folding@home contributions.

You could probably buy a decent desktop and it would compute folding@home better than enough of these things with the same value.

?

Thork

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 04:47:20 PM »

How do you propose you're going to make this missile?
With a Raspberry Pi, a section of plastic drain pipe and some cheap servos from Maplins.
$475.

Not including monitor, keyboard and mouse.
I already have a bunch of spare keyboards, monitors and mouses. I saved $475.

You could probably buy a decent desktop and it would compute folding@home better than enough of these things with the same value.
Not even close. For the price of the Yeeloong you could have 20 Raspberry Pis. 20 * 700 MHz latest generation ARM chips are going to give even the finest intel chip a damn good hiding. Of course they will juice far more power, chuck out a combined increase in heat and there is no GPU so a games rig to end all games rigs isn't on the cards yet. But this could be the future. Stranger things have happened.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 04:51:18 PM by Thork »

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 04:53:37 PM »
With a Raspberry Pi, a section of plastic drain pipe and some cheap servos from Maplins.

Yeah, I can imagine that having a lot of thrust and explosive power going on.

I already have a bunch of spare keyboards, monitors and mouses. I saved $475.

That's interesting, because I already have a bunch of spare Yeeloongs, ergo I would lose $25 buying a Raspberry Pi.

So, why is it better than the Yeeloong again?

Not even close. For the price of the Yeeloong you could have 20 Raspberry Pis. 20 * 700 MHz latest generation ARM chips are going to give even the finest intel chip a damn good hiding.

Folding@home also uses the GPU to compute.

?

Thork

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 04:58:11 PM »

Yeah, I can imagine that having a lot of thrust and explosive power going on.
Its that lack of imagination that the Raspberry Pi is trying to reignite. A whole generation of useless people have slipped through the net, and this should ensure no more children are neglected as you were.

That's interesting, because I already have a bunch of spare Yeeloongs, ergo I would lose $25 buying a Raspberry Pi.

So, why is it better than the Yeeloong again?
What? You don't even own one Yeeloong. When Parsifal bought his, China declared a public holiday.

Folding@home also uses the GPU to compute.
So? the point was playing games with tons strapped together won't be improved. Calc tasks like folding obviously will.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, 05:03:50 PM »
Its that lack of imagination that the Raspberry Pi is trying to reignite.

Oh, so the Raspberry Pi aims to eliminate imagination? That sounds like shit.

What? You don't even own one Yeeloong. When Parsifal bought his, China declared a public holiday.

Incorrect. I own a lot of Yeeloongs. Hence, they are better value than the Raspberry Pi because I already own them. Amirite?

So? the point was playing games with tons strapped together won't be improved. Calc tasks like folding obviously will.

The GPU is a beast when it comes to calculation as well, the fuck you talking about.

Rushy

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 05:07:20 PM »
How do I configure folding@home to use my GTX 580? It has never used it and I was not aware that was a possibility.

Nevermind, it is a separate client.

?

Thork

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 05:11:22 PM »
Its that lack of imagination that the Raspberry Pi is trying to reignite.

Oh, so the Raspberry Pi aims to eliminate imagination? That sounds like shit.
It seems your ability in comprehension is as poor as your technical imagination.

Incorrect. I own a lot of Yeeloongs. Hence, they are better value than the Raspberry Pi because I already own them. Amirite?
You do not own any Yeeloongs. Not even you are stupid enough to have spent $500 on one.

The GPU is a beast when it comes to calculation as well, the fuck you talking about.
The Raspberry Pi is not going to be as good at 3D graphics as a top gaming rig. Even a bunch of them strapped together is not going to make Skyrim sing. But they will complete calcs very fast when in numbers. It is likely due to your comprehension issues that I am making a 3rd attempt to reword a very simple sentence.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 05:13:47 PM by Thork »

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 05:14:46 PM »
It seems your ability in comprehension is as poor wanting as your technical imagination.

Must be very good then, considering I successfully detected your error while you still haven't.

You do not own any Yeeloongs. Not even you are stupid enough to have spent $500 on one.

Who says I spent anything on them? I got them as a gift from a good friend of mine, hence they were better value than the Raspberry Pi. Are we agreeing on this?

The Raspberry Pi is not going to be as good at 3D graphics as a top gaming rig. Even a bunch of them strapped together is not going to make Skyrim sing. But the will complete calcs very fast when in numbers. This is likely due to your comprehension issues  that I am making a 3rd attempt to reword a very simple sentence.

We were talking about Folding@home, not games. Why are you talking about games?

?

Thork

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 05:18:08 PM »
It seems your ability in comprehension is as poor wanting as your technical imagination.

Must be very good then, considering I successfully detected your error while you still haven't.
Yeah, you posted this after my edit, but it was a cool story bro. O0

Who says I spent anything on them? I got them as a gift from a good friend of mine, hence they were better value than the Raspberry Pi. Are we agreeing on this?
I spotted the flaw in your reasoning.

We were talking about Folding@home, not games. Why are you talking about games?
Folding@home would be way faster on 20 Raspberry Pis than on a Yeeloong Laptop. Obviously.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 05:23:06 PM »
Yeah, you posted this after my edit, but it was a cool story bro. 8)

What edit? The error is still there.

I spotted the flaw in your reasoning.

There is no flaw there. Feel free to prove me wrong, though.

Since you're possibly retarded and haven't gotten my point yet, the point is that you can't determine how good value something is based on already having items that would increase the goodness of the value, because not everyone might have those items. You're essentially claiming my Yeeloong is better value than a Raspberry Pi because I got the Yeeloong for free, which is only true for me.

Folding@home would be way faster on 20 Raspberry Pis than on a Yeeloong Laptop. Obviously.

Irrelevant. I wasn't comparing them to a Yeeloong.

Rushy

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2012, 05:29:15 PM »
What desktop are you suggesting that can outshine the Raspberry Pi's parallel computing potential at the same price range?

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 05:32:12 PM »
Anything with a good processor. For example, a 6-core processor at 3 GHz would be better than 20x Raspberry Pi.

?

Thork

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 05:36:03 PM »
Since you're possibly retarded and haven't gotten my point yet, the point is that you can't determine how good value something is based on already having items that would increase the goodness of the value, because not everyone might have those items. You're essentially claiming my Yeeloong is better value than a Raspberry Pi because I got the Yeeloong for free, which is only true for me.
It is obvious you don't understand the point of either product. They are supposed to be cheap. Even if I had to buy a new keyboard, mouse and monitor, I could do that for way less than $475. It would be dumb to ship a $25 computer with a $250 monitor would it not? So they don't. The whole point is it will run on virtually anything, including a TV. Do you have a TV? Most people do. So most people can run the Raspberry Pi without spending much, or in most cases, anything at all.
They are also designed small and cheap for applications where a monitor isn't needed. Like using one to keep your fish tank oxygenated and warm or in a lego robot. Once installed, they don't need a monitor anymore. It would be dumb to ship a monitor with every single one. But you know that and are being deliberately stupid because you aren't able to contribute to this or any other thread right now.  Hopefully Dann will make a thread about farting or similar to keep you occupied. ::)

Anything with a good processor. For example, a 6-core processor at 3 GHz would be better than 20x Raspberry Pi. [Citation Needed]

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 05:49:07 PM »
It is obvious you don't understand the point of either product. They are supposed to be cheap.

The Raspberry Pi is, the Yeeloong isn't. Also, cool assumptions bro.

Even if I had to buy a new keyboard, mouse and monitor, I could do that for way less than $475. It would be dumb to ship a $25 computer with a $250 monitor would it not? So they don't.

The Yeeloong is also portable and not useless, two very important factors when determining the value of the Yeeloong.

You seem to think that value is synonymous with price, which is not the case.

The whole point is it will run on virtually anything, including a TV. Do you have a TV? Most people do. So most people can run the Raspberry Pi without spending much, or in most cases, anything at all.

Most people also have a PC that isn't as shit as the Raspberry Pi, ergo your argument is pointless.

They are also designed small and cheap for applications where a monitor isn't needed. Like using one to keep your fish tank oxygenated and warm or in a lego robot. Once installed, they don't need a monitor anymore. It would be dumb to ship a monitor with every single one.

That's neat, not sure why that would make it better than a Yeeloong, though.

But you know that and are being deliberately stupid because you aren't able to contribute to this or any other thread right now.

He can't defend his bullshit, so he calls me stupid. How cute.

Anything with a good processor. For example, a 6-core processor at 3 GHz would be better than 20x Raspberry Pi. [Citation Needed]

6*3000 MHz > 20*700 MHz. Feel free to do the math yourself.

?

Thork

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 05:49:56 PM »
Yawn.

Rushy

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2012, 05:51:08 PM »

You don't really think it works like that, do you?

?

Thork

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2012, 05:52:13 PM »

You don't really think it works like that, do you?
He does this bizarre "Look how dumb I can be" trolling. Eventually you'll just get bored. I'll wait until someone with a point to make joins in.