Yeeloong Notebook vs Raspberry Pi

• 82 Replies
Re: Yeeloong Notebook vs Raspberry Pi
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2012, 09:18:40 AM »
He definitely did

Lorddave

« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2012, 09:53:22 AM »
If you do that, it would be easier to just wire the controller into the iPhone input and have a program read from the data port instead of the screen touch controls.
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2012, 10:01:44 AM »
If you do that, it would be easier to just wire the controller into the iPhone input and have a program read from the data port instead of the screen touch controls.
Perhaps, but it would be significantly more expensive and less educational.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

Rushy

« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2012, 10:34:02 AM »
A lot of people are missing the entire point of the Raspberry in that its made so a new generation will know more about a computer than how to operate a word processor.

Lorddave

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2012, 10:38:12 AM »
A lot of people are missing the entire point of the Raspberry in that its made so a new generation will know more about a computer than how to operate a word processor.
You're forgetting the one thing required to make that happen: the desire to learn.
Most people who don't know probably don't want to know. That's the problem, not the fact that it's not cheap enough to educate yourself.
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Rushy

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2012, 10:41:16 AM »
I would try to argue but there is no point. It is a sad fact I try to pretend isn't there.

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2012, 10:44:33 AM »
You're forgetting the one thing required to make that happen: the desire to learn.
Most people who don't know probably don't want to know. That's the problem, not the fact that it's not cheap enough to educate yourself.

It's aimed at kids who won't even be aware. When they're aware some might show an interest.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2012, 10:47:28 AM »
No point in miniaturisation?

Rushy

« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2012, 10:50:47 AM »
One day people of the future will look back at our massive full tower computers and think what a ridiculous waste of space it was.

?

Thork

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2012, 11:06:51 AM »
It's aimed at kids who won't even be aware. When they're aware some might show an interest.
What they need is people like PizzaPlanet making cool stuff and then showing how to do it on youtube or similar. If they see something cool that they can make and have an easy learning medium like a guy doing it in front of them, they can get into it. No, kids won't be interested if it is the preserve of bearded men in sandals on linux forums. Kids don't hang out on old men linux forums. That's a good way to get touched in your special places >:(. But they are all on youtube trolling virtually every video that is put on to it.

« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2012, 11:10:06 AM »
What they need is people like PizzaPlanet making cool stuff and then showing how to do it on youtube or similar. If they see something cool that they can make and have an easy learning medium like a guy doing it in front of them, they can get into it. No, kids won't be interested if it is the preserve of bearded men in sandals on linux forums. Kids don't hang out on old men linux forums. That's a good way to get touched in your special places >:(. But they are all on youtube trolling virtually every video that is put on to it.

itt: people expanding on a point but making it look like a disagreement.

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2012, 11:10:48 AM »
Actually no, that's almost this entire forum.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2012, 09:18:46 AM »
They are also designed small and cheap for applications where a monitor isn't needed. Like using one to keep your fish tank oxygenated and warm or in a lego robot.

Why would you want to keep your fish tank in a Lego robot?
Recently listened to:

Rushy

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2012, 02:42:56 PM »
They are also designed small and cheap for applications where a monitor isn't needed. Like using one to keep your fish tank oxygenated and warm or in a lego robot.

Why wouldn't you?

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2012, 03:07:31 PM »

Why wouldn't you?

...I concede my point.
Recently listened to:

?

Mykael

• Professor of the Horrible Sciences
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2012, 04:44:43 PM »
I'm quite curious as to whether or not this would be viable as a small content-streaming HTPC. The HDMI output and ethernet interface (Model B) seems to lend itself towards that kind of thing.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2012, 07:04:35 PM »
It may be viable. I think the bottleneck may be making the software efficient enough that decoding the HD video wouldn't bog the system down. I know that playing 1080p divx files had problems playing on my old Athlon XP 2000+ system.
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

?

Mykael

« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2012, 11:28:52 PM »
Yeah. I can't imagine them fitting any decent sort of graphics chip on such a tiny motherboard, but if the Pi can't play back HD content, why does it have a HDMI port on it?

I'll probably get one regardless, just to mess around with it.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2012, 06:22:07 AM »
It all depends on how that HD content is compressed. The less compressed it is, the less work the processor needs to do.
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

?

Mykael

« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2012, 10:14:01 PM »

Lorddave

« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2012, 12:25:20 AM »
MAGIC

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/571

That's pretty sweet.

Wonder if I can get windows XP to run on that....

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2012, 01:11:10 AM »
That's pretty sweet.

Wonder if I can get windows XP to run on that....
You can't. Windows does not have an ARM kernel, and the Raspberry Pi does not have the resources to host an x86 VM.

?

Thork

« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2012, 03:06:21 AM »
Windows 8 will be arm compatible.

Also for those that like a challenge FreeDOS brought out a new version (1.1) earlier this month, some 17 years after 1.0 was released. Porting that would be a challenge but DOS as and operating system would be seriously retro and kinda cool.