@Daniel

• 199 Replies
Re: @Daniel
« Reply #120 on: December 29, 2011, 12:19:21 AM »
So you're just trying to take the name from Daniel, and not really interested in improving the site. I guess that I expected better from you.

A page of tennis shoe advertisements would be a great improvement. It would force people to go to the .net site, where things will actually improve.

Again, did you give up of Columbia University?

Start a thread if you wish to speak to me about an off-topic subject.
If you think destroying .org is a great improvement, then you really need to rethink that. It sounds to me more like a young player taking home the only bat because he didn't get to pitch. Surely you could built a better site and then get traffic by providing better, more interesting topics and support. Why not win by capitalism rather than trying to destroy someone else's work?

How does that force people to go to the .net site?

CU is relevant. If you can't manage your ideas about that, why would you think you could manage to even help rebuild this site elsewhere?
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #121 on: December 29, 2011, 12:29:51 AM »
Quote from: Clocktower
If you think destroying .org is a great improvement, then you really need to rethink that. It sounds to me more like a young player taking home the only bat because he didn't get to pitch. Surely you could built a better site and then get traffic by providing better, more interesting topics and support. Why not win by capitalism rather than trying to destroy someone else's work?

The flood of RE noobs aren't going to go to any other site, only this one. As long as this one is around anyone who tries to start a site will only be talking with themselves like John Davis at .net.

This isn't a business. It's a social activity. People take the easiest route. Do you hang out with your friends at the Starbucks in your town, or the one three towns over?

This .org site is at the top of Google and it needs to either be managed by someone new, or eliminated altogether. Either scenerio would be fine and make for a better Flat Earth Society.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 12:35:37 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2011, 12:33:05 AM »

The flood of RE noobs aren't going to go to any other site, only this one. Anyone who tries to start a site will only be talking with themselves like John Davis at .net.

This isn't a business. It's a social activity. People take the easiest route. Do you hang out with your friends at the Starbucks in your town, or the one three towns over? This site is at the top of Google and it needs to either be taken up by someone new, or eliminated altogether. Either one would be fine and make for a better Flat Earth Society. It does not matter if the improvement takes place here or at .net.
All I read there was lame excuses. Do start to act like an adult. Take responsibility for you actions. Stop knocking down other's sand castles, just because they built theirs better and first. There's a reason the Daniel has such a good Google ranking. Learn to compete fairly please.

Perhaps you should have already learned that with your failure to publish your book and to start your Columbia University.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2011, 12:43:53 AM »
All I read there was lame excuses. Do start to act like an adult. Take responsibility for you actions. Stop knocking down other's sand castles, just because they built theirs better and first. There's a reason the Daniel has such a good Google ranking. Learn to compete fairly please.

There is no fair competition. What you're saying to do is akin to telling someone to start a restaurant business in the middle of the pacific ocean, hundreds of miles from civilization, and that if it were truly a better business people would flock there. That's not how competition works.

The restaurant needs equal access to the population to fairly compete. Conversation on the .net site dwindled because it did not have equal access to newcomers.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 12:46:07 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2011, 12:50:49 AM »

There is no fair competition. What you're saying to do is akin to telling someone to start a resturant business in the middle of the pacific ocean, hundreds of miles from civilization. That's not how competition works.

The restaurant needs equal access to the population to fairly compete. The .net site dwindled and died because it did not have equal access. The .org site is unfairly monopolizing the resources, which is why it needs to die or improve.
Nope. What you're talking about is unfair barriers to penetrate a established market, and you're not even close to having even that problem. The Internet allows you the same access to the population. There is no isolation with the Internet. Yes, ".net" died, rather quickly, but that hardly demonstrates unfair competition.

I will not support your attempt to destroy what has been built here for your own agenda. Build your own site. I have every confidence that you'll fail just like with the book and the university. Did you try, by the way, to kill the real Columbia University to have a better chance with your version?

Daniel

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: December 29, 2011, 01:47:52 AM »
>claims to understand the internet [sic]
>using a web whois proxy
>implying it's not trivial to register a domain name with fake contact information

Registrars are required by ICANN to routinely remind customers to update their contact info. One can ultimately lose the domain if the whois info is bogus.

There is a big difference between registry policy is what actually happens in practice.

Canceling domains with bogus whois info is what happens in practice.

What if I need to serve Daniel with a lawsuit and can't because of his fake whois info?

So are you going to actually do something for once instead of just bitching about someone else?

I've made my complaint. I suggest others who wish to see change with this site do the same.

What exactly is wrong with you?  Do you honestly have nothing better to do with your time than harass people via ICANN?  I'm sorry I haven't been active on the forums recently but I've had some fairly serious family issues to deal with recently and that's taken priority.  I have, however, made sure the site as a whole has been running smoothly (no downtime, no technical problems), so I'm not sure you could make a reasonable argument for 'neglect' or any of the other frivolous accusations you've made.  Since you claim to have an interest in improving the site and clearly have an excess of free time, please spend it doing something more constructive than trying to destroy a popular and well-liked site simply out of spite.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #126 on: December 29, 2011, 01:55:25 AM »
Registrars are required by ICANN to routinely remind customers to update their contact info. One can ultimately lose the domain if the whois info is bogus.
While this is true, many registrars allow you to keep your identity more-or-less confidential.

Take an example, omgomg.eu, currently registered by myself. A typical whois will not reveal any results and will instead direct you to EURid's website for more information. EURid will reveal my e-mail address and my registrar's contact info as "Registrant technical contacts".

All in all, if I wanted to remain anonymous to average users, all I'd have to do is change my contact e-mail to something that doesn't contain my real name in the username.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #127 on: December 29, 2011, 05:38:45 AM »
What exactly is wrong with you?  Do you honestly have nothing better to do with your time than harass people via ICANN?  I'm sorry I haven't been active on the forums recently but I've had some fairly serious family issues to deal with recently and that's taken priority.  I have, however, made sure the site as a whole has been running smoothly (no downtime, no technical problems), so I'm not sure you could make a reasonable argument for 'neglect' or any of the other frivolous accusations you've made.  Since you claim to have an interest in improving the site and clearly have an excess of free time, please spend it doing something more constructive than trying to destroy a popular and well-liked site simply out of spite.
I sure we all hope for a speedy and happy resolution to the family issues and totally agree that family comes first. Oh, and thanks for everything.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #128 on: December 29, 2011, 05:45:45 AM »
I sure we all hope for a speedy and happy resolution to the family issues and totally agree that family comes first. Oh, and thanks for everything.
While I agree with you on this, I think it wouldn't be too much if Daniel promoted someone active to (partially) act in his name when he's away.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #129 on: December 29, 2011, 08:57:14 AM »
I don't know if anybody else contacted Daniel, but I know that I was one that emailed him regarding Tom Bishop and this thread. I hope Tom got perma-banned. Good riddance.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 08:59:46 AM by EnglshGentleman »

?

Thork

« Reply #130 on: December 29, 2011, 09:03:32 AM »
I don't know if anybody else contacted Daniel, but I know that I was one that emailed him regarding Tom Bishop and this thread. I hope Tom got perma-banned. Good riddance.
Somewhere along the way, you became a snotty little grass. Go back to glee. >:(

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #131 on: December 29, 2011, 09:18:06 AM »
Hey, I was doing something to help this society. If I ran a website and disappeared for months at a time I would want my members to do the same.

I understand that family/career comes first, but that's not an excuse to abandon one's post. As PizzaPlanet has stated, powers and responsibility could easily be shared with others rather than horded at the top.

Lord Wilmore made a long rant on page 4 discussing this:

Quote from: Lord Wilmore
The obvious solution, as I said to Daniel in the mod board, is very simple. Daniel needs to delegate technical and decision-making responsibility the same way he delegates moderating responsibility. In other words, he needs to let us make some decisions in his absence, and appoint a technical administrator so that we can actually act upon them.

Having politely (and at some length) made the above suggestions, which I felt to be both obvious and reasonable, I received no response from Daniel, even though he replied to the thread several days later.

I just wish he'd loosen the reins and let others help out more. It would be good for everyone involved, and above all good for the Flat Earth Society.

Lots of negativity there. Daniel should heed his recommendations rather than continuing on this sordid path.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:41:23 AM by Tom Bishop »

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #132 on: December 29, 2011, 09:31:33 AM »

POW! Bishop is served a bowl of pain. Serves him right.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #133 on: December 29, 2011, 09:38:54 AM »
Hey, I was doing something to help this society.

I think that you have confused the Flat Earth Society with the Flat Earth Society web site.  They are related, but they are not the same thing.  ICANN has no jurisdiction over the society itself.

It's also been mentioned several times that you are free to start your own FES and FES web site, just like John Davis has.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 09:40:51 AM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Thork

« Reply #134 on: December 29, 2011, 09:42:11 AM »
ICANN has no jurisdiction over the society itself.
Thank you Captain Obvious.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2011, 10:05:06 AM »
I understand that family/career comes first, but that's not an excuse to abandon one's post.

Tom, you're arguing with yourself there. Let us if Tom is right and family comes first, or Tom has a point that one should never abandon one's post.

If I have family obligations which take me away from work I make sure that the responsibilities of my post are taken care of by others. I make sure that others have the access and tools necessary to get things done in my absence. It is common courtesy and is how a responsible person behaves.

This is what my employers expect of me, and what people here expect of Daniel.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:07:27 AM by Tom Bishop »

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2011, 10:15:33 AM »

It's also been mentioned several times that you are free to start your own FES and FES web site, just like John Davis has.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2011, 10:19:01 AM »
Your employers pay you to fulfill their expectations.

Merry Christmas Daniel!
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #138 on: December 29, 2011, 10:41:35 AM »
I pay Daniel to send me t-shirts and hoodies.

He has exceeded his duty by sending patches along with the paid for items.

Lorddave

« Reply #139 on: December 29, 2011, 11:05:48 AM »
"You know you've done something right when no one knows you've done anything at all. "

I'm not sure what Daniel and Daniel alone can do aside from technical modifications to the site.

Also:
Tom, if you want people to go to the .net forum then just tell the.  Sticky a thread with "Go to .net for discussions"
And in every thread post that.

Since you're unwilling to do even that, I can only conclude this is a bad trolling.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »
Alright, here's a question. Other than host Wiki, what exactly is there for Daniel to do? Everyone's complaining that he isn't doing his job, but what, exactly, are you expecting him to do? Post moar?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2011, 06:57:54 PM »
Alright, here's a question. Other than host Wiki, what exactly is there for Daniel to do? Everyone's complaining that he isn't doing his job, but what, exactly, are you expecting him to do? Post moar?

I'm pretty sure that only Daniel can delegate responsibility.  I think that given the scarcity with which both our current admins are active, a new one would be nice.  And given the fact that a number of mods have been less active or outright inactive lately we could probably use a couple more of them too.  And the default theme of the board is rather hideous.  I also think Wilmore's idea of a technical administrator in case something happens and Daniel's unable to deal with it is a good one.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #142 on: December 29, 2011, 08:17:49 PM »
Why is the theme hideous? I like how it looks right now...  :P

?

Thork

« Reply #143 on: December 30, 2011, 03:53:33 AM »
I'm pretty sure that only Daniel can delegate responsibility.  I think that given the scarcity with which both our current admins are active, a new one would be nice.  And given the fact that a number of mods have been less active or outright inactive lately we could probably use a couple more of them too.  And the default theme of the board is rather hideous.  I also think Wilmore's idea of a technical administrator in case something happens and Daniel's unable to deal with it is a good one.
These are all great ideas, but they are all met with the same problem. The 'Daniel' problem.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #144 on: December 30, 2011, 03:59:31 AM »
Alright, here's a question. Other than host Wiki, what exactly is there for Daniel to do?
The site isn't "working" quite as badly as it used to, but it's still pretty bad. Rebuilding the forum database so that searches don't crash the site for 5 minutes each time would be a nice first step. Then there's the problem of moderation, which... I'm sure you already know my (and the others') opinions of.*

* - I'm not saying I must be right on this matter. I'm saying that someone in charge should resolve the problem, and, well, there's only one person in charge here.

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #145 on: December 30, 2011, 04:44:58 PM »
I thought Tom was going to leave because of blah blah and who the hell cares.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #146 on: December 30, 2011, 07:20:18 PM »
These are all great ideas, but they are all met with the same problem. The 'Daniel' problem.

Yes.  I was answering Tausami's question.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Daniel

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: December 31, 2011, 08:16:06 AM »
For what it's worth, the Flat Earth Wiki is up and running here now:

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/wiki

Big thanks to the .net wiki team for generating the content.  I couldn't get the .net SQL wiki database I was given to import properly, so I basically ended up copy/pasting things manually.  I'm pretty sure everything (including images) is there now, though.  Let me know if there are any errors, please.

I'll make a more official post about it and let people set up accounts starting tomorrow.

« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2011, 10:21:46 AM »
The intro to that wiki needs to be re-written, it sounds like a battle cry for war.

?

Around And About

• Circular Logic Falls Flat
« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2011, 10:28:34 AM »
Unless I'm mistaken he's paraphrasing or quoting Samuel (we're on a first-name basis now).
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.