Higgs particle 'may have been glimpsed'

• 74 Replies

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
Re: Higgs particle 'may have been glimpsed'
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 07:55:33 AM »
67% of all Javelin world records in Scandinavia. And not one in a low gravity area such India or Mexico?

Well, you have to figure that high gravity must force their throwing arms to grow much stronger.  Maybe the high gravity is why the Vikings were so badass.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

Thork

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2011, 08:08:20 AM »
Weight is mass*gravity.
Wrong. See http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/sec08.html#8.3.
Are you trying to look deliberately stupid?

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight
In science and engineering, the weight of an object is the force on the object due to gravity. Its magnitude (a scalar quantity), often denoted by an italic letter W, is the product of the mass m of the object and the magnitude of the local gravitational acceleration g; thus: W = mg.

If you don't even understand basic units you should probably bow out of the discussion to save your blushes.

67% of all Javelin world records in Scandinavia. And not one in a low gravity area such India or Mexico?

Well, you have to figure that high gravity must force their throwing arms to grow much stronger.  Maybe the high gravity is why the Vikings were so badass.
Because athletics isn't competed by people from all nationalities in events all round the world? Are you saying Scandinavians don't compete abroad in low gravity areas? Must be a bummer for them at the Olympics.

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 08:10:09 AM »
People get different reading on their gravimeters at different locations.
'People'. What people? This is another assumption.

Let me explain. Today the price of gold is

An ounce is according to Google
ounce/ouns/
Noun:   
A unit of weight of one sixteenth of a pound avoirdupois (approximately 28 grams).
Gold is sold by weight. Not mass.

Weight is mass*gravity. According to the lies you swallowed, in Mexico City gravity =9.779 m/s2. In Helsinki (Finland) and Oslo (Norway) gravity = 9.819 m/s2. A variation of 0.5%.

So if I buy a million dollars worth of gold in Mexico city I make $50,000 selling it in Finland? Does gold vary in price from country to country? No. Are the Finnish people being ripped off? No.

Were your bathroom scales calibrated for your country? No. Do aircraft take on more fuel when flying over areas of increased gravity (which means increased lift required which means more drag and hence more fuel? No. In fact does anyone ever compensate for this alleged fluctuation ever? Does it ever come up? Something so fundamental involving trade or transport or so many other things? No. Never a dickie-bird. Stop just swallowing what you are told and look at the world analytically. Your claim has absolutely no bearing on reality. Its not what happens on earth. Only in NASA fairytale land. 

I might add that the world record for Javelin has been broken in Scandinavia more times than anywhere else in the world. The place with the highest gravity has the best throwing records? 0.5% is a lot in world record terms.

62.32     Eric Lemming            12/09/29  Stockholm
66.10     Jonni Myyrä              19/08/24  Stockholm
66.62     Gunnar Lindström     24/12/12  62.32 Eksjö
69.88     Eino Penttilä             27/10/01  Viipuri
71.01     Erik Lundqvist          28/08/15  Stockholm
71.57     Matti Järvinen          30/08/08  Viipuri
71.70     Matti Järvinen          30/08/17  Tampere
71.88     Matti Järvinen          30/08/31  Vaasa
72.93     Matti Järvinen          30/09/14  Viipuri
74.02     Matti Järvinen          32/06/27  Turku
74.28     Matti Järvinen          33/05/25  Mikkeli
74.61     Matti Järvinen          33/06/07  Vaasa
76.10     Matti Järvinen          33/06/15  Helsinki
76.66     Matti Järvinen          33/09/07  Turin
77.23     Matti Järvinen          34/06/18  Helsinki
77.87     Yrjö Nikkanen          38/08/25  Karhula
78.70     Yrjö Nikkanen          38/10/16  Kotka
80.41     Bud Held                 53/08/08  Pasadena
81.75     Bud Held                 55/05/21  Modesto
83.56     Soini Nikkinen          56/06/24  Kuhmoinen
83.66     Janusz Sidlo            56/06/30  Milan
85.71     Egil Danielsen          56/11/26  Melbourne
86.04     Al Cantello              59/06/05  Compton
86.74     Carlo Lievore           61/06/01  Milan
87.12     Terje Pedersen        64/07/01  Oslo
91.72     Terje Pedersen        64/09/02  Oslo
91.98     Janis Lusis              68/07/23  Saarijärvi
92.70     Jorma Kinnunen       69/06/18  Tampere
93.80     Janis Lusis               72/07/06  Stockholm
94.08     Klaus Wolfermann    73/05/05  Leverkusen
94.58     Miklos Nemeth          76/07/26  Montreal
96.72     Ferenc Paragi           80/04/23  Tata
99.72     Tom Petranoff          83/05/15  Los Angeles
104.80    Uwe Hohn               84/07/20  Berlin

Interesting use of statistics in a toyally irrelevant way.

Do compare with this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_jump

and divert yourself.
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 08:16:26 AM »
Because athletics isn't competed by people from all nationalities in events all round the world? Are you saying Scandinavians don't compete abroad in low gravity areas? Must be a bummer for them at the Olympics.

Yes, that's the point.  The practice in their native countries where supergravity has turned them into monsters.  Then they compete in places with normal gravity against regular mortals (and the poor folks from low gravity areas like Mexico) and thus break records left and right.

We may have to give this one to the REers.  :(
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

Thork

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2011, 08:22:37 AM »

Yes, that's the point.  The practice in their native countries where supergravity has turned them into monsters.  Then they compete in places with normal gravity against regular mortals (and the poor folks from low gravity areas like Mexico) and thus break records left and right.

I think you are missing the point. It must be easier to chuck a spear in a low gravity environment. Gravity does not pull it to earth as fast so it can travel further. So your Viking guy is going to be able to chuck it further at events with low gravity. He may train in Oslo but once he gets to mexico, his javelin is falling to earth 0.04m/s2 slower. That's got to help. Besides I see no evidence at all of fluctuation. Just heresay that 'people' notice this on gravimeters.

Anybody own a gravimeter? Any one know anyone who does?

On a separate note, my Pixie detector picked up 7 pixies and an elf in my back garden last weekend. I have the exterminators booked for Monday.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 08:24:34 AM »
People get different reading on their gravimeters at different locations.

ounce/ouns/
Noun:   
A unit of weight of one sixteenth of a pound avoirdupois (approximately 28 grams).

Weight is mass*gravity. According to the lies you swallowed, in Mexico City gravity =9.779 m/s2. In Helsinki (Finland) and Oslo (Norway) gravity = 9.819 m/s2. A variation of 0.5%.

So if I buy a million dollars worth of gold in Mexico city I make $50,000 selling it in Finland? Does gold vary in price from country to country? No. Are the Finnish people being ripped off? No.

Were your bathroom scales calibrated for your country? No. Do aircraft take on more fuel when flying over areas of increased gravity (which means increased lift required which means more drag and hence more fuel? No. In fact does anyone ever compensate for this alleged fluctuation ever? Does it ever come up? Something so fundamental involving trade or transport or so many other things? No. Never a dickie-bird. Stop just swallowing what you are told and look at the world analytically. Your claim has absolutely no bearing on reality. Its not what happens on earth. Only in NASA fairytale land. 

We've been over this before, but let's try it one more time anyway.  Commerce absolutely does take these local variations of g into account for the very reason that you pointed out.  From the NIST Handbook 44, 2010 edition, Appendix B, page 8:
3.2.1. Mass and Weight. – The mass of a body is a measure of its inertial property or how much matter it contains. The weight of a body is a measure of the force exerted on it by gravity or the force needed to support it. Gravity on earth gives a body a downward acceleration of about 9.8 m/s2. (In common parlance, weight is often used as a synonym for mass in weights and measures.) The incorrect use of weight in place of mass should be phased out, and the term mass used when mass is meant.

Standards of mass are ordinarily calibrated by comparison to a reference standard of mass. If two objects are compared on a balance and give the same balance indication, they have the same “mass” (excluding the effect of air buoyancy). The forces of gravity on the two objects are balanced. Even though the value of the acceleration of gravity, g, is different from location to location, because the two objects of equal mass in the same location (where both masses are acted upon by the same g) will be affected in the same manner and by the same amount by any change in the value of g, the two objects will balance each other under any value of g.

However, on a spring balance the mass of a body is not balanced against the mass of another body. Instead, the gravitational force on the body is balanced by the restoring force of a spring. Therefore, if a very sensitive spring balance is used, the indicated mass of the body would be found to change if the spring balance and the body were moved from one locality to another locality with a different acceleration of gravity. But a spring balance is usually used in one locality and is adjusted or calibrated to indicate mass at that locality.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:26:32 AM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2011, 08:26:49 AM »

I think you are missing the point. It must be easier to chuck a spear in a low gravity environment. Gravity does not pull it to earth as fast so it can travel further. So your Viking guy is going to be able to chuck it further at events with low gravity. He may train in Oslo but once he gets to mexico, his javelin is falling to earth 0.04m/s2 slower. That's got to help. Besides I see no evidence at all of fluctuation. Just heresay that 'people' notice this on gravimeters.

Anybody own a gravimeter? Any one know anyone who does?

On a separate note, my Pixie detector picked up 7 pixies and an elf in my back garden last weekend. I have the exterminators booked for Monday.

Or read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discus_throw
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2011, 08:33:02 AM »

ounce/ouns/
Noun:   

BTW, you gave the definition of an avoirdupois ounce, not a Troy ounce.

Troy weight
is a system of units of mass customarily used for precious metals, gemstones, and black powder.
 There are 12 troy ounces per troy pound,[1] rather than the 16 ounces per pound found in the more common avoirdupois system. The troy ounce is 480 grains, compared with the avoirdupois ounce, which is 437-1/2 grains. Both systems use the same grain of exactly 0.06479891 gram.[2] Although troy ounces are still used to weigh gold, silver and gemstones, the troy pound is no longer used.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:34:35 AM by markjo »

?

Thork

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2011, 08:36:28 AM »
Markjo's comment is irrelevant. The fact they are moving to standardise the units is not because of complaints that things change weight as they move around the earth. ::)

Or read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discus_throw
So there is no correlation between location and world records for chucking things even though variations would allow an advantage in certain parts of the world? Thank you. This is my point. Gravity does not fluctuate. It doesn't even exist - See Universal Acceleration and the equivalence principle.

?

Thork

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2011, 08:39:18 AM »
We've been over this before
Yes, because you have 18,000 posts and have been here everyday since the dawn of time. Maybe that should be your cue to allow other people to get a word in edgeways?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2011, 08:41:40 AM »
Markjo's comment is irrelevant. The fact they are moving to standardise the units is not because of complaints that things change weight as they move around the earth. ::)

Which comment are you referring to?  The one where I proved that commerce does take local variations of g into account or the one where I show that you didn't know that Troy weight is a system of measuring mass?

?

Thork

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2011, 08:43:29 AM »
You did not prove commerce takes local variation into account. You made a limp inference and arrived at a daft conclusion.

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2011, 08:48:47 AM »
Weight is mass*gravity.
Wrong. See http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/sec08.html#8.3.
Are you trying to look deliberately stupid?

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight
In science and engineering, the weight of an object is the force on the object due to gravity. Its magnitude (a scalar quantity), often denoted by an italic letter W, is the product of the mass m of the object and the magnitude of the local gravitational acceleration g; thus: W = mg.

If you don't even understand basic units you should probably bow out of the discussion to save your blushes.

Did you even read what you posted?

'gravity' is not an acceleration.
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2011, 08:49:21 AM »
You did not prove commerce takes local variation into account. You made a limp inference and arrived at a daft conclusion.

You may choose to ignore the guidance of the NIST at your own peril, but don't say that I didn't try to warn you.

?

Thork

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2011, 09:02:06 AM »

Quote from: http://www.societyofrobots.com/sensors_accelerometer.shtml
Gravity
Gravity is an acceleration. A such, your accelerometer will always be subject to a -9.81 m/s^2 acceleration (negative means towards the ground).

Quote from: http://www.conservapedia.com/Surface_gravity
Surface gravity is an acceleration, and is commonly measured in the units of acceleration, which are distance (or length) per square unit of time. The SI units of acceleration are m/s².

Quote from: http://lateblt.tripod.com/physics.htm
Gravity is an acceleration, not a constant speed.

Quote from: http://geophysics.esci.keele.ac.uk/Research/microgravity/gravity/
The earth’s gravity is an acceleration

Quote from: http://milesmathis.com/orbit.html
Gravity is an acceleration and nothing more.

I see. ::)

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2011, 09:25:47 AM »

Quote from: http://www.societyofrobots.com/sensors_accelerometer.shtml
Gravity
Gravity is an acceleration. A such, your accelerometer will always be subject to a -9.81 m/s^2 acceleration (negative means towards the ground).

Quote from: http://www.conservapedia.com/Surface_gravity
Surface gravity is an acceleration, and is commonly measured in the units of acceleration, which are distance (or length) per square unit of time. The SI units of acceleration are m/s².

Quote from: http://lateblt.tripod.com/physics.htm
Gravity is an acceleration, not a constant speed.

The earth’s gravity is an acceleration

Quote from: http://milesmathis.com/orbit.html
Gravity is an acceleration and nothing more.

I see. ::)
I do have to agree--if you're going to use the term in the vernacular, and perhaps that's all you intended.

Since you appear to trust the source http://geophysics.esci.keele.ac.uk/Research/microgravity/gravity/. Let's consider that on that page we find:

The force of gravity over the surface of the Earth is not constant. For it to be so the Earth's composition would have to be perfectly uniform and it's shape perfectly spherical. The Earth would have to be beyond the influence of other heavenly objects. Fortunately for us, and the clients for whom we work, gravity is discernably variable even over very small distances.
The gravity at any point on the earth is the cumulative effect of many influences. At the poles, gravity is more than at the equator because the polar regions are 21km closer to the centre of the earth. Mountains can be 8km further from the centre of earth than the oceans, and these too experience less gravity. Daily, the moon passes overhead, as does the sun. Between them the sun and moon produce two tides a day, which cause the Earth to bulge and gravity to change. Geological formations result in changes to sub-surface density and therefore mass. Newton showed that gravity is directly proportional to mass and consequently, higher gravity is observed over denser strata.

So why would you trust that source for its definition and not its statements against your UA-only model?

?

Thork

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2011, 09:34:08 AM »
??? I do not believe in gravity full stop. It is a fabrication of the conspiracy to patch a hole in the theory. A problem that a $9 billion dollar particle accelerator still hasn't solved.

I do not think gravity varies all over earth. I do not think gravity is responsible. But even I know that W=mg and that gravity is an acceleration in Round Earth Theory. You can keep posting stupid all over my thread if you like, but the guests reading this are going to find it upsetting that RET was argued so poorly.

Maybe you will be our greatest weapon against The Conspiracy ClockTower? Alienating those who have doubts amongst the sheeple and forcing them into our open arms.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 09:36:51 AM by Thork »

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2011, 10:18:15 AM »
??? I do not believe in gravity full stop. It is a fabrication of the conspiracy to patch a hole in the theory. A problem that a $9 billion dollar particle accelerator still hasn't solved.

I do not think gravity varies all over earth. I do not think gravity is responsible. But even I know that W=mg and that gravity is an acceleration in Round Earth Theory. You can keep posting stupid all over my thread if you like, but the guests reading this are going to find it upsetting that RET was argued so poorly.

Maybe you will be our greatest weapon against The Conspiracy ClockTower? Alienating those who have doubts amongst the sheeple and forcing them into our open arms.
Great for us! Drs. Eagan have provided verifiable, objective evidence on a page you referenced. I'm sure all the guests will consider their documented evidence published by Keele University against your ramblings accordingly. Please do keep linking to sources who categorically oppose your conclusions. Thanks so much!

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2011, 10:28:29 AM »
I do not think gravity varies all over earth.

So are you saying all the scientists who have measured an inverse correlation between measured gravity/UA and altitude within experimental error are lying to us? And all the scientists who have reviewed their work and confirmed it are lying to us as well? Are this people in on the conspiracy? Do they even know about the conspiracy?

The list of locations of where javelin throwing records have been set is no where near enough evidence to discredit variation in gravity/UA. There are so many more factors that contribute to athletic performance that have much more of an effect than local gravity.

Quote from: Thork
Were your bathroom scales calibrated for your country? No. Do aircraft take on more fuel when flying over areas of increased gravity (which means increased lift required which means more drag and hence more fuel)? No.

A persons weight fluctuates more than .5% over the course of a day, local calibration is not necessary for bathroom scales, the difference is too small. Airplanes carry enough fuel to take them to their destination, plus additional in case of emergencies. I don't know the details, but I am willing to bet that is is significantly more than an additional .5% of what it would take to get them to their destination. In addition, airplanes fly at higher altitudes, where gravity is less, requiring less fuel (according to your explanation).

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2011, 02:34:16 PM »
Thork, if gravity is magical and not real, please explain to us how tides work and why there are measured variations in gravity/UA based on altitude.

Tides
I dispute that gravity varies around the earth. I have documented this in many threads.

Didn't you read the stuff where I pointed out we've all seen the post where you admit you're a troll?
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

?

Thork

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2011, 02:50:53 PM »
@randall_55 - I am not disputing a decrease in the force we feel from UA as altitude increases. Pizzaplanet has explained this at length and of course it is logical as you move away from the protective sheild of the earth and out into the dark energy stream. I dispute that the force of acceleration changes at random places around the earth's surface.

@The (ironically named) Knowledge. That isn't a rebuttal. That's argumentum ad hominem.

?

momentia

• Light abhors a straight line.
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2011, 05:27:48 PM »
@randall_55 - I am not disputing a decrease in the force we feel from UA as altitude increases. Pizzaplanet has explained this at length and of course it is logical as you move away from the protective sheild of the earth and out into the dark energy stream. I dispute that the force of acceleration changes at random places around the earth's surface.

@The (ironically named) Knowledge. That isn't a rebuttal. That's argumentum ad hominem.

You already admit that acceleration changes with height.

Why don't you admit that acceleration changes with location. Friendly link:
http://www.microglacoste.com/fg5specs.php
Accuracy: 2 µGal (observed agreement between FG5 instruments)
Precision: 15 µGal/sqrt(Hz) at a quiet site [eg. About 1 µGal in 3.75 minutes or 0.1 µGal in 6.25 hours]

This is the type of device used to absolutely measure gravity to 1 part in 10-8 or better, which is more than sufficient to measure differences in g at different locations. It is used many places in gravimetery. I don't care if you say gravimetery is not related to the earth beneath, thats not the point (not now). The point is that instruments such as this read different accelerations at different locations.

Also, your explanation for change in g with change in height makes no sense.
What are the rules governing UA? Does UA come through the earth or around it?

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2011, 10:00:18 AM »
What are the rules governing UA? Does UA come through the earth or around it?

UA does whatever makes explaining things for FE'ers easiest. What UA does is likely to drastically change depending on which phenomenon an FE'er is trying to explain.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2011, 06:50:05 PM »

No, argumentum ad hominem is not possible when what I am disagreeing with is your assertion that you hold a particular view. Since the argument itself is "Thork holds/does not hold a view" it is impossible to commit a logical fallacy by accusing you of falsehood in your statement.
Argumentum ad hominem is the fallacy of attacking you instead of your argument, and in this case the argument itself is whether you are truthful or not.
Pray tell, how else should I phrase my suspicion that you are being a liar?
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2011, 06:56:48 PM »

+1
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2011, 07:00:25 PM »

+1

Yeah, denial of data always makes FET look so much more convincing than the alternative...  ::)

?

trig

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2011, 06:01:08 AM »

So, Thork believes the Conspiracy is perfect, keeping millions of scientists silent for generations (maybe even centuries) but is unable to get a few dozen scientists at LHC in line. They try to say "we have found the Higgs Bosson and therefore explained gravity", but fumble their way around the 10 words necessary to say so, even though someone payed 9 billion dollars to have just those 10 words said. At almost a billion a word, it is quite easy to get those 20 or so "scientists" in a row, wouldn't you think?

In reality, those scientists would have seen the holes in the Conspiracy since they were about 7 years old and would now either be totally in the Conspiracy, giving picture perfect statements for the press, or would have blown the Conspiracy to pieces since they were 14. They would never, ever try to explain to the reporters how 9  billion dollars might be spent for nothing, or worse yet, spent to find evidence against the Conspiracy.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2011, 06:13:03 AM »
Please don't confuse the Higgs Boson with the Graviton.  They are 2 different particles and have different interactions in different theories (The Standard Model and Quantum Field Theory, respectively).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:14:43 AM by markjo »

?

Thork

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2011, 07:43:54 AM »

No, argumentum ad hominem is not possible when what I am disagreeing with is your assertion that you hold a particular view. Since the argument itself is "Thork holds/does not hold a view" it is impossible to commit a logical fallacy by accusing you of falsehood in your statement.
Argumentum ad hominem is the fallacy of attacking you instead of your argument, and in this case the argument itself is whether you are truthful or not.
Pray tell, how else should I phrase my suspicion that you are being a liar?
I don't know if you have noticed, but the title of this thread is "Higgs particle 'may have been glimpsed'". Not "Is Thork a troll?". You were not interested in the debate as usual. You merely accused me of being a troll and posted your verbose reworded wikipedia drivel about arguments again. That, is argumentum ad hominem. Unfortunately Markjo is a terrible mod and won't do anything to keep you from derailing threads, so I guess from here unless you have a comment to make about FE theory, you are going to get ignored ... mostly because you're kinda boring.

Please don't confuse the Higgs Boson with the Graviton.  They are 2 different particles and have different interactions in different theories (The Standard Model and Quantum Field Theory, respectively).
How many more made-up sub-atomic particles does RET need to cobble together a theory?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2011, 08:51:53 AM »
How many more made-up sub-atomic particles does RET need to cobble together a theory?
That depends on which theory you're referring to.