200 member society can't raise enough money for a round the world flight?

• 107 Replies
Re: 200 member society can't raise enough money for a round the world flight?
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2011, 12:35:11 PM »
And can you please stop posting RE maps?
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 08:26:24 PM »
There is no travel by plane between Australia and South Africa!?

There is. It doesn't pass through the South Pole, though.

Example:

Can you please post a photo that hasn't been photoshopped by a flat earther? Thanks.

It hasn't been. That was taken directly from an airline's website. For more information, use the picture's URL.

And can you please stop posting RE maps?

Why? The point is that they don't travel over Antarctica.

Rushy

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 10:06:43 PM »
How do I know that airline isn't a part of the FET conspiracy?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 10:10:35 PM by Irushwithscvs »

El Cid

• ...And the truth shall set you free.
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2011, 10:40:55 PM »
Okay, so it turns out, there aren't many flights over Antarctica, but there are sightseeing trips.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2011, 12:04:27 AM »
What on earth would a flight over the rim country prove? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it would be stunningly beautiful, and it'd make a fun ice-breaker at parties to mention that you were among the first to see the light of the new year 2010, but what would it prove about the shape of the earth for heaven's sake?
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2011, 12:07:40 AM »
What on earth would a flight over the rim country prove? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it would be stunningly beautiful, and it'd make a fun ice-breaker at parties to mention that you were among the first to see the light of the new year 2010, but what would it prove about the shape of the earth for heaven's sake?

Crossing Antarctica would imply that it is a continent and not "rim country."
You, sir, can't comprehend the idea of bottoms.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2011, 12:09:34 AM »
The flight listed did no such thing. Did you read the article?

Quote from: article
The chartered A380 will fly figure-eight patterns above the polar terrain for up to four hours before heading back to Melbourne and Sydney.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/qantas-a380-to-offer-antarctica-flight/story-e6frfq80-1225771920586#ixzz1fYFMn8bx
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2011, 12:35:39 AM »
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2011, 02:42:07 AM »

The chartered A380 will fly figure-eight patterns above the polar terrain for up to four hours before heading back to Melbourne and Sydney.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/qantas-a380-to-offer-antarctica-flight/story-e6frfq80-1225771920586#ixzz1fYFMn8bx

Any one could board the plane with simple measurement instruments and verify the course of the plane and draw the conclusions.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2011, 06:09:10 PM »

Any one could board the plane with simple measurement instruments and verify the course of the plane and draw the conclusions.

We don't contend that its impossible for the plane to fly in figure eight patterns for four hours over the ice and then head back home.

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2011, 01:54:12 AM »
That's why I mentioned "measurement instruments".

Are you so blinded by a conspiracy that you don't even read posts?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2011, 06:13:05 AM »

The plane is visiting the coast of Antarctica, making some figure eights for a while, and then heading back home. There is nothing it would see in FET that it wouldn't see in RET.

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2011, 08:09:25 AM »
How circumnavigation works in FET was discussed 150 years ago, on day one of this society.

Thanks for discussing it 150 years ago. Now go do it.
The FAQ needs updating to reflect the falsehood of the FAQ.

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2011, 08:11:50 AM »

The plane is visiting the coast of Antarctica, making some figure eights for a while, and then heading back home. There is nothing it would see in FET that it wouldn't see in RET.

Why would you assume this?

Please, be zetetic: observe, then draw conclusions.

And note that on a RE, it is a very different point of vue, since RE'ers know that the Earth is round and that Antarctica is a continent.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2011, 08:37:08 AM »

Well, you could try measuring degrees of longitude as the plane nears the pole and see if that agrees with what FET predicts for extreme southern latitudes.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2011, 10:39:08 AM »

Well, you could try measuring degrees of longitude as the plane nears the pole and see if that agrees with what FET predicts for extreme southern latitudes.

Come on. They can't even come up with moon shrimp seadino evidence. How will they buy a plane ticket.

El Cid

• ...And the truth shall set you free.
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2011, 01:51:35 PM »

Well, you would probably notice if you were going around the entire edge of the world.  This is significantly bigger than RE predicts Antarctica will be.  If this were so, circles around Antarctica would either take quite a bit longer, or they'd go much faster and the g-force would be noticeable, if not fatal, especially since the conditions are not that great to begin with.  Plus, you'd notice that mountains aren't zipping past you at supersonic speeds.  Not to mention, at that altitude, wouldn't they notice an ice wall, if there were one?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2011, 06:54:35 PM »

Because that's what they say the plane is going to do.

Well, you would probably notice if you were going around the entire edge of the world.  This is significantly bigger than RE predicts Antarctica will be.  If this were so, circles around Antarctica would either take quite a bit longer, or they'd go much faster and the g-force would be noticeable, if not fatal, especially since the conditions are not that great to begin with.  Plus, you'd notice that mountains aren't zipping past you at supersonic speeds.  Not to mention, at that altitude, wouldn't they notice an ice wall, if there were one?

They're not making 'circles around Antarctica', they're flying a distance onto the coast and then making figure eights in the sky to wait for the sun to come up.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 09:55:57 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2011, 07:30:03 PM »

Because that's what they say the plane is going to do.

They're not making 'circles around Antarctica', they're flying a distance onto the coast and then making figure eights int he sky to wait for the sun to come up.

Come up from where Tom? And shouldn't the sun always be visible from the plane?     

Tom the issue is that you should be able to see the sun from anywhere on earth as it is always larger 1 arch minute, and in a plane there is no thick atmosphere to disturb the light, so you should always be able to see the sun.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2011, 09:08:37 PM »

thats how the atmosphere breaks up the sunlight if you subscribe to fet. its not hard to imagine

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2011, 09:58:45 PM »

The sun appears with its area of light passes over.

No, the sun would not always be visible from the plane.

Tom the issue is that you should be able to see the sun from anywhere on earth as it is always larger 1 arch minute, and in a plane there is no thick atmosphere to disturb the light, so you should always be able to see the sun.

The sun doesn't disappear to perspective like the sinking ship. Please consult Earth Not a Globe on the matter.

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2011, 10:00:59 PM »

The sun appears with its area of light passes over.

The sun doesn't disappear to perspective like the sinking ship. Please consult Earth Not a Globe on the matter.

Your reasoning is flawed. In an airplane, the densest part of the atmosphere is below it. According to you the sun should be plainly visible at all times to aircraft.
You, sir, can't comprehend the idea of bottoms.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2011, 08:37:42 AM »

ive devised an experiment to prve this wrong. i just need to waste some time doing it if i can be bothered

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2011, 09:33:36 AM »

ive devised an experiment to prve this wrong. i just need to waste some time doing it if i can be bothered

No one in FE can be bothered to do any experiments, so don't worry, no one is expecting any.

?

Part of the Problem

• The Liberal
By eliminating all present contradicting possibilities you would arrive at the present truth. It's impossible to arrive at a future truth.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2011, 05:41:23 PM »

Perspective has been shot down.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=51476.0

- It hasn't.

- I said that the sun did not disappear to perspective in the text your quoted.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2011, 06:56:15 PM »

Perspective has been shot down.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=51476.0

- It hasn't.

- I said that the sun did not disappear to perspective in the text your quoted.

From your post:
Here is what Earth Not a Globe has to say on the subject:

• "The question, "how is it that the earth is not at all times illuminated all over its surface, seeing that the sun is always several hundred miles above it?" may be answered as follows:--

First, if no atmosphere existed, no doubt the light of the sun would diffuse over the whole earth at once, and alternations of light and darkness could not exist.

Secondly, as the earth is covered with an atmosphere of many miles in depth, the density of which gradually increases downwards to the surface, all the rays of light except those which are vertical, as they enter the upper stratum of air are arrested in their course of diffusion, and by refraction bent downwards towards the earth; as this takes place in all directions round the sun--equally where density and other conditions are equal, and vice versâ--the effect is a comparatively distinct disc of sun-light."

First of all, Rowbotham says that the sun is several hundred miles above the earth.  Modern FET contends that the sun is 3000 miles above the FE.

Secondly, transcontinental flights fly well above the densest layers of the atmosphere.  This suggests that the sun should still be visible during these flights, even during night flights.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2011, 07:24:30 PM »

The sun appears when its area of light passes over.

So its a spotlight?

Why not?  Are you contending that the atmosphere is still too thick?  Because its really thin up there.  And there are no reports of an eternal sun even higher such as in a SR71 Blackbird at 85,135 feet.

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2011, 08:03:08 PM »

So its a spotlight?

No, it's a celestial body.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2011, 08:12:33 PM »

So its a spotlight?

No, it's a celestial body.

Troll much?  Its pretty obvious I mean't in reference to how it shines it's light.

And way to ignore the second half of the post which is regarding the celestial body that you mentioned.