Just look out the window

• 52 Replies

El Cid

• ...And the truth shall set you free.
Just look out the window
« on: November 29, 2011, 10:37:34 PM »
If you look out the window, you will see, quite likely, if you live in the suburbs like me, houses and trees and such.  But if you're in a vacation home or something, and when you look out, you can see the horizon, then congrats!  You proved that there is a horizon.  On a flat Earth, objects far away would simply get smaller and never disappear under the horizon.  Horizon only exists because light goes straight and can't curve along with the Earth.

There's your proof of a round Earth.  Want to know if the Earth is round?  Just look out the window.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:41:59 PM by El Cid »

?

Archibald

• mans reach exceeds his grasp
Re: Just look out the window
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 11:02:13 PM »
If you look out the window, you will see, quite likely, if you live in the suburbs like me, houses and trees and such.  But if you're in a vacation home or something, and when you look out, you can see the horizon, then congrats!  You proved that there is a horizon.  On a flat Earth, objects far away would simply get smaller and never disappear under the horizon.  Horizon only exists because light goes straight and can't curve along with the Earth.

There's your proof of a round Earth.  Want to know if the Earth is round?  Just look out the window.

Through a window, from a rooftop, across the mighty expanse of the great planes, from cliffs overlooking the magnificent oceans, from the tops of the most highest majestic mountains, and from the highest flying craft, it always appears flat.  thank you for this insightful, yet banal thread Mr. Cid
For whatever reason you allow Clocktower to derail any thread Archibald posts in.

El Cid

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 11:16:31 PM »

Through a window, from a rooftop, across the mighty expanse of the great planes, from cliffs overlooking the magnificent oceans, from the tops of the most highest majestic mountains, and from the highest flying craft, it always appears flat.  thank you for this insightful, yet banal thread Mr. Cid
Now, when you say flat, you mean round, right?

View from the highest building in the world, the Burj Khalifa.  You can't see the horizon, but it certainly seems to me like the places closer are sort of bulging out at the viewer.  Probably because, um, they are.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 11:19:00 PM by El Cid »

?

Archibald

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 11:23:45 PM »
It is a very impressive structure, the shadow is great.  An equally enjoyable photo, but I do not see what you see.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 11:39:12 PM by Archibald »
For whatever reason you allow Clocktower to derail any thread Archibald posts in.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 02:42:13 AM »
Aren't we over this silly argument: It looks flat therefore it's flat?
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 02:46:25 AM »
Aren't we over this silly argument: It looks flat therefore it's flat?
Well, apparently Round Earthers decided to astound us with a brand new "I think it looks round, therefore it's round"!
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 05:45:25 AM »
No, RE'ers are rather saying that the Earth is round because we have a gigantic amount of evidence and of science telling us that it is a sphere.

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 05:53:40 AM »
No, RE'ers are rather saying that the Earth is round because we have a gigantic amount of evidence and of science telling us that it is a sphere.

PizzaPizzaz doesn't accept evidence. We all know this. He just insults people.
The FAQ needs updating to reflect the falsehood of the FAQ.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 10:39:28 AM »
On a flat Earth, objects far away would simply get smaller and never disappear under the horizon. 

Only if light is following straight lines. The bendy light hypothesis explains wery well why distant objects seem to disappear behind the horizon: The light rays coming from these objects can't reach the observer.

Any similarity with images by a certain Round-Earther is pure coincidence.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 11:37:34 AM »
1. Bendy Light is just a hypothesis.
2. It has yet to be observed (elsewhere than in blurred minds).

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 11:45:58 AM »
1. Bendy Light is just a hypothesis.

I didn't say the contrary. The same holds for bendy earth.

2. It has yet to be observed (elsewhere than in blurred minds).

You can't observe a hypothesis, just it's consequences. Bendy light predict that far objects disappear behind the horizon. Far objects have been observed disappearing behind the horizon. Thus, bendy light has no less been observed than bendy earth.

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 11:49:46 AM »
2. No it hasn't. There have been many experiments performed with light, but none to prove bendy light.

El Cid

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 02:27:51 PM »
On a flat Earth, objects far away would simply get smaller and never disappear under the horizon. 

Only if light is following straight lines. The bendy light hypothesis explains wery well why distant objects seem to disappear behind the horizon: The light rays coming from these objects can't reach the observer.

Any similarity with images by a certain Round-Earther is pure coincidence.
Yeah, yeah, I know all about bendy light.  My point is, it looks round to me.

rooster

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 02:58:57 PM »

No, El Cid is saying it's round because it looks round. Sadly, he cannot back this up any further.

El Cid

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 03:09:16 PM »

No, El Cid is saying it's round because it looks round. Sadly, he cannot back this up any further.
Yep.  I can't back it up at all.  How incompetent I am, right?  Obviously I am wrong, because my only proof that the Earth is round is that it looks round.  So silly.

rooster

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 03:28:37 PM »

Yep.  I can't back it up at all.  How incompetent I am, right?  Obviously I am wrong, because my only proof that the Earth is round is that it looks round.  So silly.

That's not even proof. If you have no other scientific evidence to back up your claims you're going to have a hard time convincing anyone. On a science based forum such as this, I'd say that's pretty incompetent.

El Cid

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 03:32:12 PM »

That's not even proof. If you have no other scientific evidence to back up your claims you're going to have a hard time convincing anyone. On a science based forum such as this, I'd say that's pretty incompetent.
It's proof!  Look at the picture.  Round.  If the human eye, our only method of seeing things, isn't reliable proof, then nothing is.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:44:11 PM by El Cid »

rooster

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 03:59:41 PM »
The eye is fooled by many things. Haven't you ever seen a magic show? Are magicians simply illusionists or proof that magic exists?

El Cid

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 04:06:28 PM »
What??  Magic exists!  Of...of course it does!  You...you can't tell me that magic doesn't exist!  It does!  I know it does!  *runs away tearfully*

?

Archibald

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 04:07:19 PM »
The eye is fooled by many things. Haven't you ever seen a magic show? Are magicians simply illusionists or proof that magic exists?

You are the one for me my love.

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
Hmm, sounds a lot like FET... if you replace the word "round" with "flat" of course.

El Cid

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 04:26:28 PM »

It's proof!  Look at the picture.  Round.  If the human eye, our only method of seeing things, isn't reliable proof, then nothing is.

Here it is.  I have it saved on a Word document, so never put up with the "looks flat to me argument" ever again.  Just post this.

?

Archibald

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 04:29:35 PM »

Here it is.  I have it saved on a Word document, so never put up with the "looks flat to me argument" ever again.  Just post this.

Leave my GF alone, this is your waarning.

rooster

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 04:55:38 PM »
I'm not even a FE'er...

But I can tell you that they have a ton of scientific arguments. They just like to counter "looks round to me" with "looks flat to me". RE'ers are the only ones who try to use the human eye as legitimate proof.

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 05:37:09 PM »
I'm not even a FE'er...

But I can tell you that they have a ton of scientific arguments. They just like to counter "looks round to me" with "looks flat to me". RE'ers are the only ones who try to use the human eye as legitimate proof.

Are you kidding? FE'ers have zero proof whatsoever besides the "looks flat to me" argument. They also have a theory with tons of holes and no evidence to back it up.

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 05:58:14 PM »
You can prove the earth is a sphere by the geometry within it. Although the flat geometry is a good approximation to a certain extent (when distances are not great), when distances get large it fails. For example, on large scales in the earth, the sum of the angles of a triangle will sum more than 180 degrees. You need spheric geometry to describe geometrical properties of the earth that go beyond, say, 50-100 miles.

On the other hand, if the earth were flat, then all current notion of mechanics would fail, you would have to describe the world by some other set of theories that would come out quite more complicated. For example there would be almost no symmetry in the dynamics of solid bodies. Also, if the earth is flat, then the fact begs the question, are other planets flat? If they are, why do they always look round? For example, we could ask, how the hell is momentum conserved in the system of saturn and its disks?

A theory of a flat earth is not only inconvenient in describing the world, but i think it has several theoretical voids in it.

?

Archibald

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 06:49:29 PM »
You can prove the earth is a sphere by the geometry within it. Although the flat geometry is a good approximation to a certain extent (when distances are not great), when distances get large it fails. For example, on large scales in the earth, the sum of the angles of a triangle will sum more than 180 degrees. You need spheric geometry to describe geometrical properties of the earth that go beyond, say, 50-100 miles.

On the other hand, if the earth were flat, then all current notion of mechanics would fail, you would have to describe the world by some other set of theories that would come out quite more complicated. For example there would be almost no symmetry in the dynamics of solid bodies. Also, if the earth is flat, then the fact begs the question, are other planets flat? If they are, why do they always look round? For example, we could ask, how the hell is momentum conserved in the system of saturn and its disks?

A theory of a flat earth is not only inconvenient in describing the world, but i think it has several theoretical voids in it.

Well then you simply think wrong dear fellow.  I do hope you will stay a while and learn more about what you think you know.  You will inevitably learn you know very little at all.

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 09:39:02 PM »

Well then you simply think wrong dear fellow.  I do hope you will stay a while and learn more about what you think you know.  You will inevitably learn you know very little at all.

According to FET, the sun orbits in a circle above the Earth. This circle gets wider and shorter throughout the year. What is odd, is that in order for us to have a 24 hour day, the velocity of the sun must increase as its radius increases and decrease as its radius decreases. This violates the conservation of angular momentum.

Either angular momentum is conserved, or the Earth is flat... make your choice.
You, sir, can't comprehend the idea of bottoms.

?

Archibald

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 10:57:36 PM »

According to FET, the sun orbits in a circle above the Earth. This circle gets wider and shorter throughout the year. What is odd, is that in order for us to have a 24 hour day, the velocity of the sun must increase as its radius increases and decrease as its radius decreases. This violates the conservation of angular momentum.

either there is orbit around the earth or it is flat make your choice.

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 11:03:21 PM »

either there is orbit around the earth or it is flat make your choice.

The sun does not orbit a point in space above the Earth, as this would violate the conservation of angular momentum, and the Earth cannot be flat, as this would imply that the sun is orbiting a point above the Earth, which I have already disproved.

With respect to my question, I see that you have chosen to throw away the conservation of angular momentum. Have you any evidence that this cornerstone of physics must be discarded?
You, sir, can't comprehend the idea of bottoms.