Musings on "Bendy Light"

• 28 Replies

El Cid

• ...And the truth shall set you free.
Musings on "Bendy Light"
« on: November 28, 2011, 09:56:03 PM »
When I think of bending light, I think of something like this.

So now we are presented with a theory that light always bends, and at a curve, too.  So I think we can define "Bendy Light" as a light beam, through some magical force or field of some kind or another, that is constantly, at every moment that it moves through space, curving slightly downward.  If it starts out going up, it will slow, and finally make a turn towards the ground, making a curve that I am told resembles a graph of y=x^1.5.

This way, when a beam of light reaches a ship and (assuming it got there safely) reflects off, it goes towards an observer, bending constantly downward.  So therefore, even if the Earth is flat, at a certain distance, the light will eventually hit the ground and no longer be visible, a phenomenon we call the horizon.

To name the first problem that comes to mind:  light reflects.  We cannot deny this, as it reflected off the ship in the first place, it reflects off of tables and books and food, which is what allows us to see those things.  Light reflects, and when a light beam curves downward, it eventually hits the hard, flat ground.  But, you see, then it reflects off of the ground, especially if it's a ship and the light hits water which is well-known for being reflective.  What happens then?  Well, it bounces off at an opposite angle, and presumably curves downward again.  Remember, all light all around the world does this, so we should be able to see, in front of us, at all times, a faint shadow of the entire world and everything that's been bending to the ground and reflecting, then bending back again and reflecting again, over and over, dancing to the four corners of the Earth, albeit weakened from many reflections.

The problem with this - and I'm as disappointed about this as you - is that we don't see a faint mirage of everything everywhere all the time.  So this can't be true.

Besides that, it's unclear how far this field of bending extends.  It seems to me that, when debating about otherwordly images, FE'ers assume the normal properties of light, so does this mean that the field doesn't extend into space?  Does it pervade throughout the whole universe, or is it just some freaky effect of the Earth itself (being abnormally flat, as it is)?  We don't even know what's under the flat Earth.

Also, if it does only go through Earth, how far?  Does it always exist beyond the atmosphere, or is it below the atmosphere, near the southern circumference of the Earth (the Antarctic expeditions being fake and all)?

Finally, it's unclear whether the "Bendy Light" affects the light of the sun, moon, planets, and stars.  If so, does it only begin to bend when entering the Earth's atmosphere?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 10:05:47 PM by El Cid »

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
Re: Musings on "Bendy Light"
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 01:34:17 AM »

So now we are presented with a theory that light always bends, and at a curve, too.
Think of it as an infinite amount of lenses put at infinitesimal distances from one another. How would the curve look now? Oh, oops. I've just given you the answer.

To name the first problem that comes to mind:  light reflects.
Partially. Let's not forget that very crucial issue. Try placing a debit card very close to a carpet. Do you see a reflection of the debit card in the carpet? I hope you don't. If you do, I cannot help you.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 01:36:18 AM by PizzaPlanet »
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 05:55:11 AM »
Bendy light is just another fictional story, nothing more. Put it up there with moon shrimp, Dino Sailers, and Ice Walls. Might as well add it to the lurk moar faq, it's just as fiction as the rest of the crap there.
The FAQ needs updating to reflect the falsehood of the FAQ.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:34:17 AM »

So now we are presented with a theory that light always bends, and at a curve, too.
Think of it as an infinite amount of lenses put at infinitesimal distances from one another. How would the curve look now? Oh, oops. I've just given you the answer.

lol
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 07:12:10 AM »
lol
Monkey see, monkey do. Can you say "hello"? He-llo?

Bendy light is just another fictional story, nothing more. Put it up there with moon shrimp, Dino Sailers, and Ice Walls. Might as well add it to the lurk moar faq, it's just as fiction as the rest of the crap there.
Well, I have to give you props for lurking (unless you're an alt). However, EAT has yet to be disproven.

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 07:15:55 AM »
However, EAT has yet to be disproven.

lol (well, Hello if you prefer)
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:23:07 AM »
lol
Monkey see, monkey do. Can you say "hello"? He-llo?

Well, I have to give you props for lurking (unless you're an alt). However, EAT has yet to be disproven.

Neither has anything been proven more than a storybook tale. Never will either, and personally I don't feel you believe in flat earth theory anyway, so I won't debate you. Also, I don't need an alt to speak my mind. Why would one even be necessary.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 09:42:01 AM »
I don't feel you believe in flat earth theory anyway, so I won't debate you.
How incredibly convenient. ::)

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 10:02:51 AM »
Actually, the Bendy Light hypothesis says that light is bending upwards, not downwards.

Also, light only reflects on reflective surfaces (mirrors, shiny chrome bikes etc.). That's why they are called reflective.
On other surfaces it is scattered.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 10:06:47 AM »
I don't feel you believe in flat earth theory anyway, so I won't debate you.
How incredibly convenient. ::)

You don't debate anyway, you just insult and tell people to lurk moar (incorrect spelling makes it even more annoying.) Everyone else please note that he didn't deny in not believing what he's arguing for.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 10:24:05 AM »

To name the first problem that comes to mind:  light reflects.
Partially. Let's not forget that very crucial issue. Try placing a debit card very close to a carpet. Do you see a reflection of the debit card in the carpet? I hope you don't. If you do, I cannot help you.

Silly PP, if something didn't reflect light then we wouldn't be able to see it  ::)
You, sir, can't comprehend the idea of bottoms.

El Cid

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 02:32:58 PM »
Still, near an ocean, which is reflective, we'd see some pretty interesting things.  It would have been noticed long ago.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 12:27:38 AM »
Yes, bendy light may be reflected by the ocean (just as straight light would).

So what? It's bent upwards towards the heavens. I don't see where it would be "bending back again and reflecting again".
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:22:10 AM by Lightbender »

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 04:05:06 AM »
Silly PP, if something didn't reflect light then we wouldn't be able to see it  ::)
How did you manage to infer "something doesn't reflect light" from "[everything reflects light] Partially. Let's not forget that crucial issue."?
Is this another case of RE'ers not knowing how to read?

You don't debate anyway
Incorrect.

you just insult and tell people to lurk moar
My insults directed to others are usually provoked by them having insulted me previously. Had you lurked, you would know this.
I just dislike repeating myself more than three times, so I ask people to read what I've already told them if they ask me the same question multiple times.

Oh, and you probably didn't notice the irony of this: You've made it clear that you're not interested in "debating me" [sic], and you're very busy throwing ad hominems around. Are you sure it's not you who "doesn't debate anyway and just insults"?

(incorrect spelling makes it even more annoying.)
It would be appreciated if you pointed out any cases of my incorrect spelling you see. This is important for three two (edit: guys, how do I count?) reasons:
  • You may very well be talking out of your ass.
  • If I do spell something incorrectly, pointing it out would give me an opportunity to correct it.

Everyone else please note that he didn't deny in not believing what he's arguing for.
I think you'll find that I have stated my belief in FE on more occasion than one. Most people here know this. All it takes is some lurking.
I'll humour you, though, just this once: I am a FE'er, and I do believe in EAT.

Still, near an ocean, which is reflective, we'd see some pretty interesting things.  It would have been noticed long ago.
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Just because light is reflected doesn't mean it will focus on anything. In fact, it's quite unlikely.
Furthermore, as Lightbender already pointed out, light bends upwards. I'm not sure how you want to make it keep bouncing off the Earth.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 04:30:51 AM by PizzaPlanet »

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 04:28:34 AM »
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 06:49:47 AM »
How did you manage to infer "something doesn't reflect light" from "[everything reflects light] Partially. Let's not forget that crucial issue."?
Is this another case of RE'ers not knowing how to read?

You don't debate anyway
Incorrect.

you just insult and tell people to lurk moar
My insults directed to others are usually provoked by them having insulted me previously. Had you lurked, you would know this.
I just dislike repeating myself more than three times, so I ask people to read what I've already told them if they ask me the same question multiple times.

Oh, and you probably didn't notice the irony of this: You've made it clear that you're not interested in "debating me" [sic], and you're very busy throwing ad hominems around. Are you sure it's not you who "doesn't debate anyway and just insults"?

(incorrect spelling makes it even more annoying.)
It would be appreciated if you pointed out any cases of my incorrect spelling you see. This is important for three two (edit: guys, how do I count?) reasons:
  • You may very well be talking out of your ass.
  • If I do spell something incorrectly, pointing it out would give me an opportunity to correct it.

Everyone else please note that he didn't deny in not believing what he's arguing for.
I think you'll find that I have stated my belief in FE on more occasion than one. Most people here know this. All it takes is some lurking.
I'll humour you, though, just this once: I am a FE'er, and I do believe in EAT.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Just because light is reflected doesn't mean it will focus on anything. In fact, it's quite unlikely.
Furthermore, as Lightbender already pointed out, light bends upwards. I'm not sure how you want to make it keep bouncing off the Earth.

It is not my mission to go find all your threads.

El Cid

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 08:41:11 PM »
It's kind of sad that I've been on this forum for so long and I didn't even realize that light was supposed to bend upwards.  It does make sense though.

But I realized something.  This is all ludicrous.  Observe:

If bendy light is true, the Earth will look round, but light will also bend upward, visibly.  It's not like we will only see light bend when a round Earth explains the phenomenon.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 09:08:52 PM »
It is not my mission to go find all your threads.
And it is not my mission to force you to learn. It's a conscious choice of yours.

If bendy light is true, the Earth will look round, but light will also bend upward, visibly.  It's not like we will only see light bend when a round Earth explains the phenomenon.
Of course. However, you need to have something to relate this laser beam to in order to decide whether it bends or not. How are you going to do this without the use of light?

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 11:02:01 PM »

If bendy earth is true, the light will look straight, but earth will also bend downward, visibly.  It's not like we will only see earth bend when bendy light explains the phenomenon.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 07:37:49 AM »

If bendy earth is true, the light will look straight, but earth will also bend downward, visibly.  It's not like we will only see earth bend when bendy light explains the phenomenon.

Yeah, we do see that. It's called THE HORIZON. Duh.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

El Cid

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 05:14:24 PM »

This light is bent!  When I'm looking across the horizon, it's easy enough to understand why if the Earth is round.

Now you see it...

...now you don't.

It seems like it just went under the horizon, so we can conclude that the Earth is round.  Problem solved.

But wait a second...

We go into a room, completely dark, completely straight.  We shake it around in circles, to make sure we don't know which way's which.  Normally, we'd use the Earth as a reference point, assuming it's round.  We would never notice bendy light, because we'd say the Earth is round, and relative to the Earth, light travels straight.  Or, from an FE standpoint, relative to the flat Earth, light travels bendy.

But now we're in a room, and we don't even remember which way's which.  We don't use the Earth as a reference point, we use the walls and floor and ceiling of the room (which are straight).

Light doesn't bend.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:31:28 PM by El Cid »

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 12:58:00 AM »
We go into a room, completely dark, completely straight.
Welp, you're pretty unlikely to see the ship from there - that's for sure.

We would never notice bendy light, because
there is no light in the room, so we see no light, bendy or not. So?

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 12:00:50 PM »
These Musings seem awfully random...

Lord Xenu

• ALL HAIL XENU!
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2011, 04:05:05 PM »
But wait a second...

We go into a room, completely dark, completely straight.  We shake it around in circles, to make sure we don't know which way's which.  Normally, we'd use the Earth as a reference point, assuming it's round.  We would never notice bendy light, because we'd say the Earth is round, and relative to the Earth, light travels straight.  Or, from an FE standpoint, relative to the flat Earth, light travels bendy.

But now we're in a room, and we don't even remember which way's which.  We don't use the Earth as a reference point, we use the walls and floor and ceiling of the room (which are straight).

Light doesn't bend.
Naturally REers have to lock themselves in darkened rooms for long periods of time to convince themselves the Earth is round.

Rushy

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2011, 05:32:39 PM »
But wait a second...

Light doesn't bend.
Naturally REers have to lock themselves in darkened rooms for long periods of time to convince themselves the Earth is round.

You got a problem with my meditation?

Lord Xenu

• ALL HAIL XENU!
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 11:56:27 AM »
But wait a second...

Light doesn't bend.

You got a problem with my meditation?
None at all, my good fellow, unless you attempt to present your meditation as scientific proof.

El Cid

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 01:52:55 PM »
Welp, you're pretty unlikely to see the ship from there - that's for sure.

We would never notice bendy light, because
there is no light in the room, so we see no light, bendy or not. So?

Put a freaking light in the room.  What's wrong with you?

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 07:13:40 PM »
What's wrong with you?

He's a troll who specialises in looking for unspecified semantic escapes when his arguments fail him, such as pretending there's no light in the room because you didn't say there was one in there, that sort of thing. In a minute he'll start deliberately misunderstanding everything you say.

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 04:35:55 AM »

If you are completely straight, what are you doing in a darkroom ?

Ok I'm out --> [ ]