Oh, new question just came to mind.

• 89 Replies
?

Archibald

• mans reach exceeds his grasp
Re: Oh, new question just came to mind.
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2011, 08:39:32 PM »
Subjective is right.  It is not poor writing, just old fashioned.  Many 18th and 19th century statesman and writers used what you deem to be, ''fluffy'' language.  Would you consider them bad writers?  I may very well get, 'marked  down' on a colloege paper had I chosen that route, however, save for some grammatical errors theres not much justification for limiting ones verbal expression.

There is a difference between how they write and how you write.  Refer to the sentence I picked at in my last post.  That is not poor writing because you are mimicking an older style, but rather because you have used too many words that add no meaning to the sentence.  This is only compounded by the fact that you conjoined two ideas without contributing any significance as to why.  "I love my vocabulary" and "I learned to improve my speech in prison" are two concepts that are independent from each other, and should not be conjoined into a single sentence without significance as to why they are dependent.  This can be achieved for example by creating the idea that "i love using my vocabulary when speaking publicly in prison."

Being deliberately long winded is not "old fashioned" its just poor writing.  Sorry to break it to you.

It will greatly assist in my consideration of your words if you could explain further why a sentence about elocution, and then a follow up in the same sentence about vocabulary (which I feel are inherently connected) is poor wording and/or grammatically incorrect.
For whatever reason you allow Clocktower to derail any thread Archibald posts in.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2011, 08:43:28 PM »
It will greatly assist in my consideration of your words if you could explain further why a sentence about elocution, and then a follow up in the same sentence about vocabulary (which I feel are inherently connected) is poor wording and/or grammatically incorrect.

Don't use a big word when a diminutive alternative will suffice.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Archibald

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2011, 08:50:17 PM »

Don't use a big word when a diminutive alternative will suffice.

Your sarcasm is always of such poor quality I honestly cannot tell if you are being disingenuous here.
For whatever reason you allow Clocktower to derail any thread Archibald posts in.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2011, 08:58:08 PM »
Subjective is right.  It is not poor writing, just old fashioned.  Many 18th and 19th century statesman and writers used what you deem to be, ''fluffy'' language.  Would you consider them bad writers?  I may very well get, 'marked  down' on a colloege paper had I chosen that route, however, save for some grammatical errors theres not much justification for limiting ones verbal expression.

There is a difference between how they write and how you write.  Refer to the sentence I picked at in my last post.  That is not poor writing because you are mimicking an older style, but rather because you have used too many words that add no meaning to the sentence.  This is only compounded by the fact that you conjoined two ideas without contributing any significance as to why.  "I love my vocabulary" and "I learned to improve my speech in prison" are two concepts that are independent from each other, and should not be conjoined into a single sentence without significance as to why they are dependent.  This can be achieved for example by creating the idea that "i love using my vocabulary when speaking publicly in prison."

Being deliberately long winded is not "old fashioned" its just poor writing.  Sorry to break it to you.

Because they are not inherently connected ideas.

Take for example the following, bike riding and wearing helmets.  one is associated with the other in a similar fasion as speaking and vocabulary.  Part of speaking is vocabulary, and part of bike riding is wearing a helmit.

The following sentence is improper because it is a conjunction of two complete independent ideas.  "While at summer camp I learned to ride a bike, and I love wearing a helmet."  These are not sufficiently connected to prevent this sentence from being awkward.

A better sentence would have been, "I loved wearing my helmet while i improved my biking skills at summer camp"

Or if you wanted to use a conjunction i could have said, "While at summer camp i learned to ride a bike, and while doing so i also learned i love to wear helmets."

There needs to be a direct connection between the two, they cannot be two independent ideas, even if they are relating to the same subject.  Your sentence was missing a connection between the two conjoined ideas, you cannot merely join them because vocabulary is related to speaking, you must reference how your love of vocabulary influenced your prison stay.

That being said i have lost my interest in that particular sentence, and its merely a grammatical mistake that i have only seen you make once.  The real issue with your writing is that you have tons of words that add nothing to what you are saying.  I am not talking about emotion or specifics.  If you feel the need to include extra descriptions of those who support you, that is fine, and not poor writing.  But phrases such as "I do so love" are inapropriate outside the realm of fictional writing.  You may like the way it sounds, but i can tell you from personal experience that it is not a good writing practice.  In a nonfictional setting anything in your writing that detracts from the message is not a good thing.  Overly fluffy language is no longer used because it has no place in nonfiction, it slows down the exchange of ideas and causes focus to be diverted to the writing itself rather than the ideas of the writer.

It is fine if you choose to continue to write in this style, but only so far as you do not believe that this style is a good style for a nonfiction forum.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 09:00:14 PM by OrbisNonSufficit »

?

Archibald

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2011, 09:13:59 PM »

Because they are not inherently connected ideas.

Take for example the following, bike riding and wearing helmets.  one is associated with the other in a similar fasion as speaking and vocabulary.  Part of speaking is vocabulary, and part of bike riding is wearing a helmit.

The following sentence is improper because it is a conjunction of two complete independent ideas.  "While at summer camp I learned to ride a bike, and I love wearing a helmet."  These are not sufficiently connected to prevent this sentence from being awkward.

A better sentence would have been, "I loved wearing my helmet while i improved my biking skills at summer camp"

Or if you wanted to use a conjunction i could have said, "While at summer camp i learned to ride a bike, and while doing so i also learned i love to wear helmets."

There needs to be a direct connection between the two, they cannot be two independent ideas, even if they are relating to the same subject.  Your sentence was missing a connection between the two conjoined ideas, you cannot merely join them because vocabulary is related to speaking, you must reference how your love of vocabulary influenced your prison stay.

That being said i have lost my interest in that particular sentence, and its merely a grammatical mistake that i have only seen you make once.  The real issue with your writing is that you have tons of words that add nothing to what you are saying.  I am not talking about emotion or specifics.  If you feel the need to include extra descriptions of those who support you, that is fine, and not poor writing.  But phrases such as "I do so love" are inapropriate outside the realm of fictional writing.  You may like the way it sounds, but i can tell you from personal experience that it is not a good writing practice.  In a nonfictional setting anything in your writing that detracts from the message is not a good thing.  Overly fluffy language is no longer used because it has no place in nonfiction, it slows down the exchange of ideas and causes focus to be diverted to the writing itself rather than the ideas of the writer.

It is fine if you choose to continue to write in this style, but only so far as you do not believe that this style is a good style for a nonfiction forum.

Well said good fellow, well said.  I do admire your dedication to this cause, and is a much better and intelligent  approach than what I have seen from the AAF's baseless attacks on my ''fluff.''  However As a polish gentleman it will be difficult for me to tone it down.  After all, nothing exceeds like excess.     

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2011, 06:27:30 AM »
Your sarcasm is always of such poor quality I honestly cannot tell if you are being disingenuous here.

Interesting.  I always thought that was the hallmark of high quality sarcasm.

?

Archibald

« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2011, 06:51:34 AM »

Satcasm is an attack and considered by many pyschologists  to be a form of violence.  Think of physically assaulting someone without them really knowing if you intented to hurt them.  It would be more so a display of physical weakness  and ineptiitude.  It is however the hallmark of high quality trolling.  In truth, I had reciprocated your quality in my response, which was as equally indirect and subtle to the point of ambiguity.  Tedious I know.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2011, 07:57:18 AM »
Satcasm is an attack and considered by many pyschologists  to be a form of violence. 

Then I suppose that it's a good thing that I use sarcasm instead of satcasm.

?

Archibald

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2011, 08:01:02 AM »
Satcasm is an attack and considered by many pyschologists  to be a form of violence. 

Why are you still in the angry noob phase at seventeen thousand posts?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2011, 08:04:29 AM »
Markjo is the Peter Pan of TFES.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2011, 10:34:05 AM »

Lol, why would you trust the word of a RET pyschologist. They're the ones that do the brainwashing... best stay clear of them if I were you...
You, sir, can't comprehend the idea of bottoms.

?

Archibald

« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2011, 10:36:27 AM »

Lol, why would you trust the word of a RET pyschologist. They're the ones that do the brainwashing... best stay clear of them if I were you...

Incoerrect. 

Rushy

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2011, 10:37:44 AM »
You can't prove that psychologists aren't brainwashing you.

?

Archibald

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2011, 10:42:16 AM »

You cannot prove that anything isnt 'brainwashing' you. 

Rushy

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2011, 10:44:04 AM »

Now that we've settled that you are brainwashed. How do you feel?

?

Archibald

« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2011, 10:49:06 AM »

The only thing we  have 'settled' is that your earlier comment was useless and irrelevant.

Rushy

« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2011, 10:51:40 AM »

The only thing we  have 'settled' is that your earlier comment was useless and irrelevant.

I asked how you felt about being brainwashed and you dodged the question. Perhaps a mix of a denial-oriented and disturbed mental state?

?

Archibald

« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2011, 10:56:02 AM »

I asked how you felt about being brainwashed and you dodged the question. Perhaps a mix of a denial-oriented and disturbed mental state?

You followed up a rather crude allegation with a question about how I felt about your accusations being correct.

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2011, 11:02:03 AM »

You followed up a rather crude allegation with a question about how I felt about your accusations being correct.

Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about his accusations being correct?

?

Archibald

« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2011, 11:23:53 AM »
He has provided no explanation.  You are simply going along with him as it goes against me, so typical of the AAF.

« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2011, 11:26:41 AM »
He has provided no explanation.  You are simply going along with him as it goes against me, so typical of the AAF.

That's your answer for everything. "Its a conspiracy!!!"

?

Archibald

« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2011, 11:30:21 AM »

No, my answers involve great analytical skill, a penchant for historical accounting, and a seemingly relentless ability to see past nonsensical bilge.

« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2011, 12:20:13 PM »

No, my answers involve great analytical skill, a penchant for historical accounting, and a seemingly relentless ability to see past nonsensical bilge. CONSPIRACIES!!!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2011, 12:44:25 PM »

Why are you still in the angry noob phase at seventeen thousand posts?

What makes you think that I'm angry?  ???

« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2011, 02:06:29 PM »

No, my answers involve great analytical skill, a penchant for historical accounting, and a seemingly relentless ability to see past nonsensical bilge.

You're not full of yourself yet? Going for seconds?

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2011, 03:15:06 PM »

You're not full of yourself yet? Going for seconds?
Do not mock Archibald, he one the most eminent FE researchers of this century.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2011, 06:56:41 PM »
Do not mock Archibald, he one the most eminent FE researchers of this century.

That is precisely why we mock him.

?

Around And About

• Circular Logic Falls Flat
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2011, 08:32:17 PM »
Personally, I think Archie's posts are very entertaining, along with the general response he provokes.
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2011, 04:35:59 AM »
He should devote a site untirely to himself and his jabber.
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2011, 01:54:27 PM »
He should devote a site untirely to himself and his jabber.

He could up there with the Time Cube guy  ::)