Final nail in the FE theory

• 40 Replies
Final nail in the FE theory
« on: November 20, 2011, 12:32:51 PM »
I know FEers dispute Space Flight images as part of the conspiracy, but here's something anyone can do with a bit of money: . The video clearly displays an Earth quite different from the FE model (yes, I know the lense is curved), and, at 90,000 ft, I see no spotlight Sun. Anyone can repeat this experiment for more conclusive results. I dare a FEer to get a picture of the edge of the Earth, or of the spotlight Sun.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
Re: Final nail in the FE theory
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 01:04:32 PM »
I know FEers dispute Space Flight images as part of the conspiracy, but here's something anyone can do with a bit of money: . The video clearly displays an Earth quite different from the FE model (yes, I know the lense is curved), and, at 90,000 ft, I see no spotlight Sun. Anyone can repeat this experiment for more conclusive results. I dare a FEer to get a picture of the edge of the Earth, or of the spotlight Sun.

Distortion. Also, BTW, we get a couple of these every week.

El Cid

• ...And the truth shall set you free.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 05:41:09 PM »

Let's say you die today.  After you die, you end up in a funny little place, and God makes a couple of flaming hoops and says, "Jump through these hoops, or you will suffer eternal torment!  If you succeed, you will get your salvation!"

So, you say, "Holy crap, holy crap!  I can't mess this up.  I just can't."

So, you exercise.  You train.  You will practice.  You will get it right.  You have to.  Failure is not an option.  Days pass.  You work all day, you sleep, you eat a healthy diet, something you never did much of when you were alive.  God is actually pretty nice, and he gives you what you need to get it done.  Days turn into weeks, and months, and years.  You are more fit than you've ever been in your life.  You are, quite likely, one of the strongest people alive.  The hoops are waiting.  The flaming hoops have been there, taunting you, every day, but no matter how unlikely it becomes that you will fail, you simply can't do it.  You just can't screw it up.  You just can't.  You need to train more, work more.  There can't be the slightest chance that you will make the slightest mistake, because eternity is no short amount of time.

You work for years more, and you are so very strong that you don't think that you could possibly fail; but there will be no taking chances, and you just can't.  You keep working, feeling somewhat miserable.

Decades pass, and you don't seem to be getting any stronger.  Muscles can only get so powerful, and no more.  There is nothing more you can do, but yet, you can't bring yourself to jump through the hoops.  What if you fail?  You feel confident that you won't, but what if you do?  It would mean eternal torment.  Who knows how bad it would be?  It could be beyond all earthly description.  You would never have any hope for a moment of rest, or, worse, maybe the pain would grow greater as time passed!  It was unacceptable, completely unacceptable.  For decades you worked, but what now?  You couldn't do it, you just couldn't.  You kept working, but to no avail.  There was nothing more to do.  You fell on the floor, crying in misery.  Nothing could be worse.  This is hell.  This is the eternal torment.  And God says nothing.

Well, let's imagine another scenario.  You die, and you are put in a strange place.  It's probably another planet, or something.  You just got born, and nobody else seems surprised.  But it's weird, and you don't know what to think.  You don't know what you should do.  This could be a test, a test to see if you get your salvation.  So you work hard - you don't know for what you're working - but you work, for just about anything you can think of.  What else is there to do?  Things go on, and nothing special happens.

Let's imagine another scenario.  You die, and you are put in a strange place, except this time, you don't remember what happened before.  Your memory is wiped clean.  So now you wonder what's going on, without the slightest clue of why you are here.

Well, in that case, welcome to Planet Earth.  It is round.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 05:46:26 PM by El Cid »

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 06:01:57 PM »

Please clarify. Yes, the video is unclear, mainly due to cloud cover, but if the experiment was repeated several times with high quality cameras, one would be able to get a clear view of the Earth from space. I'm not talking about the curvature from the lense-that's indecisive. But the shape of the continents, slight movement of disc, and most of all the lack of a spotlight sun and moon, can be used as conclusive evidence.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 06:16:05 PM »

Please clarify. Yes, the video is unclear, mainly due to cloud cover, but if the experiment was repeated several times with high quality cameras, one would be able to get a clear view of the Earth from space. I'm not talking about the curvature from the lense-that's indecisive. But the shape of the continents, slight movement of disc, and most of all the lack of a spotlight sun and moon, can be used as conclusive evidence.
This particular video suffers from using a fish-eye or wide-angle lens. You can see at 2:35-36 and 3:30 (and several other places), for example, that the horizon becomes convex. I do not doubt that some curvature might be seen from great altitude as would be expected over a disc.
It is, nevertheless, stunningly beautiful, and a fantastic father-son project.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 12:52:54 PM »

Let's say you die today.  After you die, you end up in a funny little place, and God makes a couple of flaming hoops and says, "Jump through these hoops, or you will suffer eternal torment!  If you succeed, you will get your salvation!"

So, you say, "Holy crap, holy crap!  I can't mess this up.  I just can't."

So, you exercise.  You train.  You will practice.  You will get it right.  You have to.  Failure is not an option.  Days pass.  You work all day, you sleep, you eat a healthy diet, something you never did much of when you were alive.  God is actually pretty nice, and he gives you what you need to get it done.  Days turn into weeks, and months, and years.  You are more fit than you've ever been in your life.  You are, quite likely, one of the strongest people alive.  The hoops are waiting.  The flaming hoops have been there, taunting you, every day, but no matter how unlikely it becomes that you will fail, you simply can't do it.  You just can't screw it up.  You just can't.  You need to train more, work more.  There can't be the slightest chance that you will make the slightest mistake, because eternity is no short amount of time.

You work for years more, and you are so very strong that you don't think that you could possibly fail; but there will be no taking chances, and you just can't.  You keep working, feeling somewhat miserable.

Decades pass, and you don't seem to be getting any stronger.  Muscles can only get so powerful, and no more.  There is nothing more you can do, but yet, you can't bring yourself to jump through the hoops.  What if you fail?  You feel confident that you won't, but what if you do?  It would mean eternal torment.  Who knows how bad it would be?  It could be beyond all earthly description.  You would never have any hope for a moment of rest, or, worse, maybe the pain would grow greater as time passed!  It was unacceptable, completely unacceptable.  For decades you worked, but what now?  You couldn't do it, you just couldn't.  You kept working, but to no avail.  There was nothing more to do.  You fell on the floor, crying in misery.  Nothing could be worse.  This is hell.  This is the eternal torment.  And God says nothing.

Well, let's imagine another scenario.  You die, and you are put in a strange place.  It's probably another planet, or something.  You just got born, and nobody else seems surprised.  But it's weird, and you don't know what to think.  You don't know what you should do.  This could be a test, a test to see if you get your salvation.  So you work hard - you don't know for what you're working - but you work, for just about anything you can think of.  What else is there to do?  Things go on, and nothing special happens.

Let's imagine another scenario.  You die, and you are put in a strange place, except this time, you don't remember what happened before.  Your memory is wiped clean.  So now you wonder what's going on, without the slightest clue of why you are here.

Well, in that case, welcome to Planet Earth.  It is round.

I hope that was copypasta.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 05:29:12 PM »

This particular video suffers from using a fish-eye or wide-angle lens. You can see at 2:35-36 and 3:30 (and several other places), for example, that the horizon becomes convex. I do not doubt that some curvature might be seen from great altitude as would be expected over a disc.

I know that, but that's why I asked for the experiment to be repeated to get some conclusive results.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 07:14:26 PM »

I know that, but that's why I asked for the experiment to be repeated to get some conclusive results.

It wouldn't matter. Certain branches of the theory would expect curvature (EA), and others believe that the atmolayer would cause limited distortion.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 10:23:46 AM »

It wouldn't matter. Certain branches of the theory would expect curvature (EA), and others believe that the atmolayer would cause limited distortion.
Again, I'm not trying to find curvature of the earth with this, but rather the shape of the continents, which would be quite different under the FET. Similarly, the "disc" that the camera would show, if we got a clear view of it, would be able to tell us whether the scale of the Earth matches the FET.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 12:50:28 AM »

Why did you post it as the "final nail" in the FE Theory if the curvature in the video is distorted and does not represent an accurate view of the earth's curvature or lack thereof?  ???

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 08:51:27 AM »
Why don't YOU do the experiment?
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 12:23:19 PM »

Why? I don't discount the accounts of amateurs putting high altitude balloons near the edge of space.

I believe this one happened, for example:

http://www.natrium42.com/halo/flight2/

Slight curvature results from the fact that at 100,000 feet the observer is looking down at a circle. A circle is always curved in two dimensions.

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 01:03:39 PM »

Why? I don't discount the accounts of amateurs putting high altitude balloons near the edge of space.

I believe this one happened, for example:

http://www.natrium42.com/halo/flight2/

Slight curvature results from the fact that at 100,000 feet the observer is looking down at a circle. A circle is always curved in two dimensions.

Likewise a sphere is always curved in three dimensions. the picture isn't "looking down" it is looking across.
You, sir, can't comprehend the idea of bottoms.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 01:24:09 PM »
Likewise a sphere is always curved in three dimensions. the picture isn't "looking down" it is looking across.

The scene is easily interpreted as looking down at a circle in FET.

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 01:33:46 PM »

And looking across in RET... therefore the picture is meaningless  ;D

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 01:43:10 PM »

The final nail was nailed in before the 200 member flat earth society was formed and they all know it.
The FAQ needs updating to reflect the falsehood of the FAQ.

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 03:00:20 PM »

With a major exception: the curvature would look always different, depending where you were pointing. If in Madagascar you were looking towards Africa, you would hardly see a curvature in FE.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 03:38:03 PM »

Actually, that would be a misinterpretation.  If the photograph was of an illuminated circle, then there would still be detail in the area where the light fades to black, even to the very edge.  There is no such detail in that photograph where the light fades to black.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 08:43:10 PM »
I'm sure that at a sufficient height one might observe a "fade", but at the minute angles we are observing in these pictures I don't think it is possible. 
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 09:01:58 PM »
If there is earth beyond the lighted area, then that earth should be visible as the light fades to black, regardless of the angle.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 11:01:07 AM »
The buildup of the earth's thick blue atmosphere gets in the way of seeing the details of the far ends of the spotlight.

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 11:10:31 AM »
Sorry to repeat myself:

The curvature would look always different, depending where you were pointing. If in Madagascar you were looking towards Africa, you would hardly see a curvature in FE. Looking towards Antarctica, the curvature would be easily visible.. If the camera was rotating, you'll see the curvature constantly changing, wereas it is never the case in a RE model or in the yiutube files we see here and there.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 03:49:28 PM »
The buildup of the earth's thick blue atmosphere gets in the way of seeing the details of the far ends of the spotlight.

What about the clouds that should also be visible where the "spotlight" fades to black?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 11:47:14 PM »
They are behind the clouds that are not fading, Markjo. I'm not sure why you're having difficulties with this.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 06:42:03 AM »
I'm having difficulty because your explanations don't make any sense.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 07:09:20 AM »
How does the concept of one thing being behind another not make sense? Have you never played peekaboo?
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 10:22:14 AM »
How does the concept of one thing being behind another not make sense? Have you never played peekaboo?

With a ball of thermonuclear plasma hundreds of times larger than the Earth, not lately...

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 02:08:12 PM »
Big things can't go behind other things pp.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 02:11:53 PM »

What about the clouds that should also be visible where the "spotlight" fades to black?

The thickness of the atmosphere prevents us from seeing the details of the spotlight's edge. In the image on the previous page everything in the distance just fades to blue.

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 07:01:31 AM »

The thickness of the atmosphere prevents us from seeing the details of the spotlight's edge. In the image on the previous page everything in the distance just fades to blue.

I'll destroy your whole arguement right now.

I looked through three solar telescopes at Dragoncon. The sun is not a spotlight.

Cya.
The FAQ needs updating to reflect the falsehood of the FAQ.