Spinning World causing Equal Motion

• 21 Replies
Spinning World causing Equal Motion
« on: November 15, 2011, 07:36:06 AM »
I have a question to those who believe that the Sun goes around in circles over what logical people call "the equator."

How come when we watch the world spinning, the top half doesn't spin slower than the bottom half?  It seems like, if the earth were flat and we were watching the lighted part as the sun spun in circles, we would see the southern half moving faster.  It's like, if you spin a disk, you'll notice that the outsides of the disk appear to move faster because there is more surface area.  Instead, what we actually see is the equator moving faster than the poles.  Which suggests to me that we're watching a spinning sphere rather than light moving around on a flat surface.
...does anyone find it funny that the Flat Earth model is actually round?

Re: Spinning World causing Equal Motion
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
Hello?  Does nobody know the answer?  Or, am I retarded or do I not make sense???

Here, let me put it another way:

Get it?  If the earth as we saw it was just light going around in cirlces on a flat disk, the outer edges of the disk would appear to move faster than the inner edges.  So, if each white arrow above reflects a distance of motion over a fixed amount of time, the one on the right would have to reflect the distance of motion on a flat earth.  However, on the left, since the equator is the biggest part of the spherical earth, the equator appears to move faster than the poles... which is EXACTLY what happens.

Observe:

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 08:35:05 AM »
One of the very few things that FE'ers generally agree on is that the flat earth does not rotate.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
One of the very few things that FE'ers generally agree on is that the flat earth does not rotate.

Oh, is that it?  I could see where that would throw a FE'er off...

Let me add this to it:
If you observe light moving around a disk and the observer is on track with the light sorce, the lit area would appear to rotate.  Like, if you're standing on a street and a car drives by, the road appears stationary and the car is moving.  If you're IN the car, the car appears stationary while the street appears to move.  Relativity of motion.  It all depends on where you are.  We have no images of the light moving as the Earth stays stationary, so FE'ers must agree that a time lapse video fo the earth rotating must come from the satellite following the light source, giving off the illusion that the light is stationary while the earth moves.

Now, given this... [see above]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:11:55 AM by KristaGurl »

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 05:45:07 PM »

Let me add this to it:
If you observe light moving around a disk and the observer is on track with the light sorce, the lit area would appear to rotate.  Like, if you're standing on a street and a car drives by, the road appears stationary and the car is moving.  If you're IN the car, the car appears stationary while the street appears to move.  Relativity of motion.  It all depends on where you are.  We have no images of the light moving as the Earth stays stationary, so FE'ers must agree that a time lapse video fo the earth rotating must come from the satellite following the light source, giving off the illusion that the light is stationary while the earth moves.

That's all well and good, but the best answer you're going to get is that you (or the global conspiracy) doctored all the photographs.
You, sir, can't comprehend the idea of bottoms.

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 06:13:43 PM »

Let me add this to it:

That's all well and good, but the best answer you're going to get is that you (or the global conspiracy) doctored all the photographs.

Well, I am a part of the conspiracy... :P

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 05:44:02 AM »
I do not remember reading any theories that claim the flat earth rotates.  The night time phenomena is caused by the sun being too far away from you for the light to be seen, and the bendy light makes the sun appear to go over the horizon.  And, the sun rotates in a circle around the northern pole.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 06:00:46 AM »
The FE should be spinning because the stars in the sky rotate during the night (we're nor going to assume that the Earth is immobile and the rest of the world in motion around the Earth, are we)?
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 06:10:16 AM »
The stars rotate with the gears in the sky.

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 09:07:22 PM »
I think I can adapt KristaGirl's argument so that it is aimed towards the FEers and their model. If the Earth is a disc with the North Pole at the center and the sun as a "spotlight" above the equator, the area lit up should appear from space like a wedge of a circle. By FEers own standards, this does not work. Why is the range of light along the lines of longitude larger than along the lines of latitude? And if the Sun is at the equator, why does its range increase as the light moves South, but decrease as it move North?

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 03:54:54 AM »
I do not remember reading any theories that claim the flat earth rotates.  The night time phenomena is caused by the sun being too far away from you for the light to be seen, and the bendy light makes the sun appear to go over the horizon.  And, the sun rotates in a circle around the northern pole.

Bendy light was disproved in 2010. Sky gears does not explain stellar rotation around the south celestial pole, which itself disproves the rotating sky theory. Continuous sunlight during Antarctic summer disproves the sun rotating round the northern pole if Antarctica is a rim around the edge. None of FE actually works, a made up theory to explain one observation leaves massive gaps in all the others.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 07:00:13 AM »

Bendy light was disproved in 2010. Sky gears does not explain stellar rotation around the south celestial pole, which itself disproves the rotating sky theory. Continuous sunlight during Antarctic summer disproves the sun rotating round the northern pole if Antarctica is a rim around the edge. None of FE actually works, a made up theory to explain one observation leaves massive gaps in all the others.

ITT: noob pretending he's not a noob

There are actually a bunch of theories explaining all of these phenomenon, which you'd know if you lurked as much as you pretend to.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 07:29:09 AM »

There are actually a bunch of theories explaining all of these phenomenon, which you'd know if you lurked as much as you pretend to.

Oh, I don't lurk or know anything? Let's see:
Bendy light disproof - I have linked to this at least twice, I believe the original post is from January 2010. Check my post history and follow the trail, if you can be bothered.
Sky gears - despite repeated requests from RE'ers for an explanation of how this would work without leaving gaps between the stars and affecting the angular distances between them, and why they don't show up in star trail pictures, no adequate reply has been forthcoming.
Sun travelling 360 degrees round Antarctica - the ONLY explanation offered for that map was the ridiculous sky mirror, which not only doesn't even work to explain the phenomenon, it also introduces even more problems. The map which has Antarctica as a seperate continent does not suffer from this problem, but does suffer from problems of light distribution and the sun having to travel at varying speeds. That map has been thoroughly disproved.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 09:24:30 AM »

Bendy light disproof - I have linked to this at least twice, I believe the original post is from January 2010. Check my post history and follow the trail, if you can be bothered.
Sky gears - despite repeated requests from RE'ers for an explanation of how this would work without leaving gaps between the stars and affecting the angular distances between them, and why they don't show up in star trail pictures, no adequate reply has been forthcoming.
Sun travelling 360 degrees round Antarctica - the ONLY explanation offered for that map was the ridiculous sky mirror, which not only doesn't even work to explain the phenomenon, it also introduces even more problems. The map which has Antarctica as a seperate continent does not suffer from this problem, but does suffer from problems of light distribution and the sun having to travel at varying speeds. That map has been thoroughly disproved.

Argumentum ad ridiculum is still a logical fallicy, no matter how many times you use it.

And you forgot to mention Aether. I can't seem to find any spectroscopy tests from the Antarctic...

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 09:33:55 AM »

Argumentum ad ridiculum is still a logical fallicy, no matter how many times you use it.

And you forgot to mention Aether. I can't seem to find any spectroscopy tests from the Antarctic...
When exactly did he use Argumentum ad ridiculum?

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 11:44:50 AM »

When he made a list of some flat Earth theories and disproved them. I'm not sure Argumentum ad ridiculum really fits here, as the FET arguments were already fairly ridiculous to begin with.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 12:18:42 PM by jraffield1 »

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 12:03:55 PM »

When made a list of some flat Earth theories and disproved them. I'm not sure Argumentum ad ridiculum really fits here, as the FET arguments were already fairly ridiculous to begin with.

Tausami loves to use big latin words. Unfortunately, he doesn't apply them at the right times.
Argumentum ad ridiculum is saying "your theory can't be correct because it's silly". I suspect he's jumped on this term because I described the sky mirror as ridiculous, which indeed it is.
However, rather than saying "the sky mirror is false because it's ridiculous," I say the sky mirror is false because it would not produce the effect it was introduced as an explanation for (i.e. the 360 degree sun effect) and it also introduces other problems (which I did not go into detail about, but which include reflection of other celestial objects such as the moon and stars).
Having explained why the sky mirror is false through objective factual logic, I am then perfectly at liberty to describe the theory as ridiculous (due to being ill-conceived and unable to produce the phenomenon it was theorised to explain), without committing argumentum ad ridiculum.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 01:55:41 PM »
Bendy light was disproved in 2010.
This is a myth. Round Earthers like to reference it, but none of them ever point out what the disproof was, and, frankly, most of them don't know what the supposed disproof is.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 07:27:42 PM »
I think I can adapt KristaGirl's argument so that it is aimed towards the FEers and their model. If the Earth is a disc with the North Pole at the center and the sun as a "spotlight" above the equator, the area lit up should appear from space like a wedge of a circle. By FEers own standards, this does not work. Why is the range of light along the lines of longitude larger than along the lines of latitude? And if the Sun is at the equator, why does its range increase as the light moves South, but decrease as it move North?

Exactly. 

The more I get into this, the more awesome it becomes.  We're supposed to throw away 2,000 years of the most basic, conventional Earth Science for non-proven things like Flat Earth Math, Bendy Light, Sky Gears, Universal Accelerators and Moon Shrimp?  I wanna have a conversation about this in person with a FE'er.  I don't believe they can say "Sky Gears" and "Moon Shrimp" without laughing.  I certainly can't read it without laughing.

And like, whenever we explain how FET doesn't work, and they come up with something that sounds totally out of their asses like "sky gears," does this not sound like an Alcoholic looking for any old reason to excuse his alcoholism?  I mean, I hear FE'ers say, "All of this has been explained."  Then, when you look back at the explanations, they contain stupid crap like "Sky Gears."  Sky Gears??? What the hell are sky gears???  Just... don't you have a Candy Land game to get back to?  Isn't Spongebob about to come on or something?  Sky Gears... get outa here...

RE'er: The world can't be flat because [insert scientific explanation]
FE'er: Yeah, well... that can be explained by magical Leprechauns in space who fly on giant space-possums!!!, and the government and NASA are in cahoots with them to brainwash you!!!  You can't prove I'm wrong!!!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 07:30:36 PM by KristaGurl »

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 07:51:22 PM »

Exactly. 

The more I get into this, the more awesome it becomes.  We're supposed to throw away 2,000 years of the most basic, conventional Earth Science for non-proven things like Flat Earth Math, Bendy Light, Sky Gears, Universal Accelerators and Moon Shrimp?  I wanna have a conversation about this in person with a FE'er.  I don't believe they can say "Sky Gears" and "Moon Shrimp" without laughing.  I certainly can't read it without laughing.

And like, whenever we explain how FET doesn't work, and they come up with something that sounds totally out of their asses like "sky gears," does this not sound like an Alcoholic looking for any old reason to excuse his alcoholism?  I mean, I hear FE'ers say, "All of this has been explained."  Then, when you look back at the explanations, they contain stupid crap like "Sky Gears."  Sky Gears??? What the hell are sky gears???  Just... don't you have a Candy Land game to get back to?  Isn't Spongebob about to come on or something?  Sky Gears... get outa here...

RE'er: The world can't be flat because [insert scientific explanation]
FE'er: Yeah, well... that can be explained by magical Leprechauns in space who fly on giant space-possums!!!, and the government and NASA are in cahoots with them to brainwash you!!!  You can't prove I'm wrong!!!

Pretty much sums up FET.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 09:13:23 PM »
Round Earthers like to reference it, but none of them ever point out what the disproof was, and, frankly, most of them don't know what the supposed disproof is.

Is it the fact that bendy light contradicts the results of Rowbotham's Bedford Levels Experiment where he proved without doubt that the earth is flat because it looks flat?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 11:44:55 AM »
Bendy light was disproved in 2010.
This is a myth. Round Earthers like to reference it, but none of them ever point out what the disproof was, and, frankly, most of them don't know what the supposed disproof is.

Orly?

You may not cite bendy light as that has been disproved by absence of predicted stellar distortions.
I would like to see that disproof. It's being referenced very frequently, but someone simply forgot to ever conduct it.

I've noticed you pretending that you haven't read it before, even in threads where you have commented. Here it is again.

Why are people still trying to explain things with bendy light when it's been totally disproved? Bendy light doesn't work, Xenu. You should read the forum a bit more thoroughly.

*sigh*
You're using quotes from yourself as a source now? In my opinion, no REer has been able to convincingly disprove bendy light. Just saying "read the forum lol" is not evidence.

Nope, I don't make that fallacy at all. This method of debunking bendy light in fact relies on the very idea that the light would appear to come from somewhere else. You really are a bit dim aren't you? Let me clout you with the idea some more, see if it sinks in:
1. If bendy light is true, the apparent position of an object in the sky (unless directly overhead) will not be its true position.
2. The discrepancy between an object's true position and its apparent position increases the further that object is from a direct overhead position.
3. Therefore, an object nearer the horizon will have its position adjusted more than an object higher in the sky.
4. This can be expressed as the amount of positional adjustment being proportional to height above the horizon.
5. To make a simple example of stars, let's make Star A to be Polaris and Star B to be Vega, in Lyra. We are at latitude 52 degrees North.
6. Polaris will always maintain the same height above the horizon. Vega's height above the horizon will vary as it rotates around the celestial pole.
7. When Vega is the same height above the horizon as polaris, the light from both stars must logically be bent by the same amount.
8. When Vega is higher in the sky than Polaris, its light will be bent by less. When it is lower in the sky than Polaris, its light will be bent more.
9. The result of this variance in bending will be a variance in how much Vega's position is distorted to an observer. However, the position of Polaris is subject to distortion of an unvarying amount.
10. Measuring the distance between Vega and Polaris should give different results depending on where in the sky Vega appears to be.
11. However, when measured, the distance between Vega and Polaris is always the same.

This is easy to find if you use the search function. Numerous other posters have linked to it from many other threads.
Nah, I guess Planet Pizzazz is right. Nobody ever explains the bendy light disproof, least of all me directly in response to him just a couple of days ago.  :P