So what's with this infinite plane thing?

• 42 Replies
?

Archibald

• mans reach exceeds his grasp
Re: So what's with this infinite plane thing?
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2011, 08:51:30 AM »
Hello, I think I missed something while reading the FAQ and the various threads. Is it accepted amongst FE'ers that the Earth is BOTH a flat disc AND an infinite plane or could/might it be one or the other? If it is BOTH then my question is "how is this possible?" As far as I can see it, an infinite plane could not be a disc because a disc has an edge. An infinite plane however has no edge at all .... am I right? Perhaps Im just tired ....

It is either one or the other.  Just as some suggest the universe to be infinite, some FE advocates have suggested the earth to be infinite.  Others say a disc.
For whatever reason you allow Clocktower to derail any thread Archibald posts in.

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2011, 08:58:17 AM »
Flip a coin and chose.
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2011, 12:02:26 PM »
I have no problem visualising an infinite plane in my head but I wonder, how could such a thing be accelerating through the universe?

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2011, 12:39:17 PM »
I have no problem visualising an infinite plane in my head but I wonder, how could such a thing be accelerating through the universe?

Infinite energy of course  ::)
You, sir, can't comprehend the idea of bottoms.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2011, 02:33:41 PM »

According to John Davis, the most vocal advocate of the infinite plane model, it isn't.  It simply produces gravity.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2011, 04:11:15 PM »

According to John Davis, the most vocal advocate of the infinite plane model, it isn't.  It simply produces gravity.

I'm sure the answers to all this are in his non-existent book he pretends to be writing.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2011, 10:50:58 PM »

That's interesting but extremely vague. Surely he had some ideas? I wonder, is it an endless plane of water with bedrock beneath and is it infinitely thick/deep too? Just curious.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2011, 02:48:51 PM »

That's interesting but extremely vague. Surely he had some ideas? I wonder, is it an endless plane of water with bedrock beneath and is it infinitely thick/deep too? Just curious.

I'd suggest you do some lurking, as I know that John has fleshed the theory out a great deal more than you might get the idea by reading some other people's thoughts on it.  It is not infinitely thick; as far as what it's composed of across the entirety of the plane I doubt he would claim any knowledge, as he's zetetic and it's pretty much impossible by definition to know such things based in any way on observation.  The idea that its infinite itself is derived mathematically, based on the fact that an infinite plane can exhibit finite gravity such as we observe.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2011, 08:13:25 PM »
Can someone describe what you mean by "the infinite plane of the Earth"?
The Earth is an infinite plane that creates a finite gravitational pull.  We mean that the plane goes on forever in all directions.  Here is a simple mathematical model illustrating the concept:

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2011, 09:29:51 PM »
Can someone describe what you mean by "the infinite plane of the Earth"?
The Earth is an infinite plane that creates a finite gravitational pull.  We mean that the plane goes on forever in all directions.  Here is a simple mathematical model illustrating the concept:

One of the only problems I have with the infinite plane theory is that it fails to account for the acceleration due to gravity decreasing with height. I have heard people explain this as celestial bodies exerting a gravitational pull. While they do have a gravitational effect, tides etc, this is not an acceptable answer because the acceleration due to gravity remains fixed at a certain point whereas the celestial bodies are in constant motion.
You, sir, can't comprehend the idea of bottoms.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2011, 10:09:13 PM »
They are "apparently" moving away from us actually.  There are several things that could account for this.  More study needs to be done to determine which is the most reasonable and likely.

?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2011, 10:10:58 PM »
They are "apparently" moving away from us actually.  There are several things that could account for this.  More study needs to be done to determine which is the most reasonable and likely.
The anti-moon may also have an impact on this, if there is indeed one.
Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.

zarg

• Saudi Arabian inventor of Dr. Pepper
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2011, 10:27:32 PM »
because even at very high altitudes it still appears to be a giant disc,
even pictures from space which i concede could be faked but they all seem to show a giant disc, and because the edge has never been reached and no ice wall has been discovered we must first assume that it is endless disc with the sun only shining on the known part of the world.

it would be great for a plane to fly south, but i fear it wouldnt reach very far into the unlit portion to verify.

This makes no sense at all. If it looks like a disc, then it is not endless. The only way to see a shape is by seeing its edges. An infinite object cannot have a shape. Or, if it does, it could just as easily be a sphere with an infinitely gradual curvature such that, by any finite measurement, it is flat. But actually a sphere. Ha!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:29:08 PM by zarg »
Quote from: Cat Earth Theory
[Lord Wilmore's writings] are written the way a high schooler thinks an educated person should sound like.  The pathetic pseudo-academic writing can't hide the lack of any real substance.