How do we measure mass?

• 42 Replies

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: How do we measure mass?
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2011, 07:22:21 AM »
The experiment I've suggested isn't supposed to be highly scientific or rigorous, and most certainly is not commercial - it's just an easy way of observing a known principle. Its greatest advantage is the availability of equipment - many people have bathroom scales, so chances are you can borrow one if you don't have one; and even if you can't, they're cheap. Elevators are present in most tall buildings, and you have your own body to use as the body to be weighed. With some asking around (borrowing the bathroom scale), the total cost of performing the experiment is $0.

In theory, you're right, it's a simple way of demonstrating a principle.  The only problem is that most elevators that I've been in only accelerate/decelerate for very brief periods (maybe a second or two) before it settles into its constant speed.  You would only see a spike in the weight without being able to get a decent reading.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2011, 07:48:44 AM »
In theory, you're right, it's a simple way of demonstrating a principle.  The only problem is that most elevators that I've been in only accelerate/decelerate for very brief periods (maybe a second or two) before it settles into its constant speed.  You would only see a spike in the weight without being able to get a decent reading.
Absolutely. We also don't know the actual magnitude of acceleration for that elevator, so we couldn't really verify if the numbers we get make any sense. Observing that there is a positive spike when the elevator starts and a negative one when it stops is all we should observe.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

?

Tgor

• Universe Accelerator
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2011, 03:29:06 PM »
Mass is Density divided by Volume or M=D/V
That is all
I dont care what you think as long as it's about me.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2011, 09:36:36 PM »
Absolutely. We also don't know the actual magnitude of acceleration for that elevator, so we couldn't really verify if the numbers we get make any sense. Observing that there is a positive spike when the elevator starts and a negative one when it stops is all we should observe.
Where to start?

1) Zeteticism doesn't allow you to know the actual acceleration so you can't check your numbers to see if they make sense.

2) Using the scientific method, actual results can be obtained with proper uncertainty.  They can be checked a number of ways. A person doesn't need to give up as Zeteticism would say.

3) I actually did this experiment for high school physics. It's a standard experiment, data is easily collected.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2011, 11:43:49 PM »
Where to start?
Where to end? What is a "start" and an "end"? What does it mean that something "is"? Ahh, philosophy!

1) Zeteticism doesn't allow you to know the actual acceleration so you can't check your numbers to see if they make sense.
Sheesh, good thing I'm not a zeteticist.

2) Using the scientific method, actual results can be obtained with proper uncertainty.  They can be checked a number of ways. A person doesn't need to give up as Zeteticism would say.
Apparently the notion of a "quick and easy" is unknown to you. Read the OP. This guy doesn't understand the Equivalence Principle. Would you rather trust him with a full experiment that involves, God forbid, mathematics, or perhaps you'd like to agree that standing on a scale in an elevator and pressing a button is simpler?

3) I actually did this experiment for high school physics. It's a standard experiment, data is easily collected.
Excellent! So you confirm it works, correct?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 11:47:28 PM by PizzaPlanet »
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

?

Tgor

• Universe Accelerator
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2011, 03:03:44 PM »
Scratch my last post
Mass=DensityTimesVolume
sorry for any troubles this has caused
M=DV

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2011, 06:51:35 AM »
Thanks, Tgor.  Now we finally understand it.  Please share more of your mathematical skills with us.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2011, 08:27:09 AM »
Or using E = mc2, we could measure mass in eV.   ;D

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2011, 08:29:41 AM »
Or using E = mc2, we could measure mass in eV.   ;D

If only it existed.  Or even any one of its many variants.  If it existed, we would know for sure. 

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2011, 08:41:30 AM »
If what existed?

?

Tgor

• Universe Accelerator
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2011, 05:04:42 PM »
Thanks, Tgor.  Now we finally understand it.  Please share more of your mathematical skills with us.

Anytime ;)

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2011, 05:32:13 PM »

Anytime ;)

BTW, are you in college by any chance? You have the smug know-it-all vibe of someone who's just learning a subject and is excited to be able to use it in a debate.

Note: this isn't a personal attack. I get this too. I'm just curious.

?

Tgor

• Universe Accelerator
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2011, 06:17:33 PM »

Anytime ;)

BTW, are you in college by any chance? You have the smug know-it-all vibe of someone who's just learning a subject and is excited to be able to use it in a debate.

Note: this isn't a personal attack. I get this too. I'm just curious.

No actually I'm still a junior in high school