The merged ultimate challenge for FE'ers

• 580 Replies
Re: The merged ultimate challenge for FE'ers
« Reply #390 on: December 02, 2011, 10:26:31 AM »
It's simply a representation of the known world. I wouldn't be so bold to claim anything about that which has not been explored. Traditionally, the world has always been depicted as a disc or, alternatively, with four corners.

The only problem with using these maps is that distances and areas are not preserved. A true FE map would be capable of doing this while remaining a 2D representation.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:38:08 AM by jraffield1 »
You, sir, can't comprehend the idea of bottoms.

« Reply #391 on: December 02, 2011, 10:34:28 AM »
It's simply a representation of the known world. I wouldn't be so bold to claim anything about that which has not been explored. Traditionally, the world has always been depicted as a disc or, alternatively, with four corners.

Unexplored world?
Four corners?

And why is it almost perfectly flat?
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

Rushy

« Reply #392 on: December 02, 2011, 10:35:40 AM »
Its well known in cartography that 2D models skew known distances. This is why you see 2D maps with areas of the earth that look sliced at the top and bottom, so that distances are not exaggerated.

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #393 on: December 02, 2011, 12:22:30 PM »

That doesn't mean that it's correct, just because it's traditional.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #394 on: December 02, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »

And just because that post was correct doesn't mean it added anything to the conversation.

El Cid

• ...And the truth shall set you free.
« Reply #395 on: December 02, 2011, 09:15:57 PM »
I think an interesting point that I pointed out earlier but was ignored is that the people of the Rennaisance began to suspect the Earth was a sphere when they started noticing slight distortions if they tried to draw out a 2-D map, especially, for example, when Vasco de Gama went all the way around Africa and mapped it.  Even during the Middle Ages, the upper class and well-educated knew that the Earth was round (so records show).  The most compelling evidence was the round shadow of the Earth on the moon during a lunar eclipse, which you've failed to explain.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #396 on: December 03, 2011, 02:35:09 AM »

And just because that post was correct doesn't mean it added anything to the conversation.

Incorrect. Added the invalidation of citing tradition as a defence of earth shape. Your post, however, adds zilch.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

« Reply #397 on: December 03, 2011, 04:55:38 AM »
I think an interesting point that I pointed out earlier but was ignored is that the people of the Rennaisance began to suspect the Earth was a sphere when they started noticing slight distortions if they tried to draw out a 2-D map, especially, for example, when Vasco de Gama went all the way around Africa and mapped it.  Even during the Middle Ages, the upper class and well-educated knew that the Earth was round (so records show).  The most compelling evidence was the round shadow of the Earth on the moon during a lunar eclipse, which you've failed to explain.

Dear Tausami, read this instead of arguing with The Knowledge.

zarg

• Saudi Arabian inventor of Dr. Pepper
« Reply #398 on: December 03, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
Its a question of validated theory endorsed by billions vs. questionable ideas.

FET has everything to prove.
lol, argumentum ad populum.

I don't need to prove it, because it's popular!
No, not quite, Pizza.

The applicable fallacy (on your part, of course) is burden of proof.

Note: I restored Zhark's original quote, undoing your subtle deception (quoting only the phrase "endorsed by millions", ignoring the more damning "validated" vs. "questionable" part).
Quote from: Cat Earth Theory
[Lord Wilmore's writings] are written the way a high schooler thinks an educated person should sound like.  The pathetic pseudo-academic writing can't hide the lack of any real substance.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #399 on: December 03, 2011, 03:07:02 PM »
Great to see that we have a wiki of some kind working.

http://theflatearthsociety.net/wiki/index.php/A_Close_Look_at_the_Lunar_Lander

This is my favorite article on the Wiki.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 03:08:47 PM by Tom Bishop »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #400 on: December 03, 2011, 03:13:44 PM »

No, not quite, Pizza.

Note: I restored Zhark's original quote, undoing your subtle deception (quoting only the phrase "endorsed by millions", ignoring the more damning "validated" vs. "questionable" part).

The burden isn't on skeptics to prove popular opinion (ie. religion) wrong. The burden is on the people making the claim. The burden of proof is always on the claimants and never on the skeptics.

See: http://theflatearthsociety.net/wiki/index.php/Burden_of_Proof
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 03:20:01 PM by Tom Bishop »

Rushy

« Reply #401 on: December 03, 2011, 04:09:27 PM »

No, not quite, Pizza.

The burden isn't on skeptics to prove popular opinion (ie. religion) wrong. The burden is on the people making the claim. The burden of proof is always on the claimants and never on the skeptics.

Which is why FET has no unified theory, it could too easily be proven false.

I say there are mermaids in a small pond. You can look in the pond and see there are no mermaids. I am wrong. However, if I say there are mermaids in the ocean, you can not possibly search the entire ocean for mermaids, and therefore you will never be able to prove me incorrect. However, when I make the more ridiculous assumption, in the science community, the burden of proof would be on me, not you (regarding the mermaids). Here you are telling people the earth is flat with nothing other than textual evidence. While we have multiple pictures, videos, and experiments that can be done using a telescope.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 10:05:38 AM by Irushwithscvs »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #402 on: December 03, 2011, 04:14:42 PM »

First of all, if the "skeptic" makes a negative claim, then that counts as a claim and the skeptic does incur a burden of proof for that negative claim.

Secondly, it generally isn't considered very good form to cite yourself as a reference (especially when that citation is of questionable quality).
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

El Cid

« Reply #403 on: December 03, 2011, 04:34:53 PM »

zarg

« Reply #404 on: December 03, 2011, 04:39:27 PM »
The burden of proof is always on the claimants and never on the skeptics.

Thank you, but I'm already perfectly aware of what burden of proof is. Otherwise I wouldn't have pointed it out. Ironically, as per the wording of your own wiki article that you posted, this discussion is certainly one of the most clear-cut examples wherein your claims are the ones where the burden of proof lies:

If two people are having a debate, should the burden of proof rest on the shoulders of the person who make the most complicated claim, or should the burden of proof rest on the shoulders of the person who makes the simplest and easily observable claim?

The subject that you are "skeptics" on is, essentially, observation itself. While you wouldn't say it in so many words, you do freely admit that "the most easily observable" perception is one of curvature, and you explain this by making claims about how light distorts our "naive" observations. Thus it's up to you to back up those claims.

Judging by what I've seen in this thread, your solution now will be to redefine "burden of proof" such that your position becomes correct; just as you questionably redefine observable physics to fit your preconceived model. Perhaps you should update your wiki article?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 04:42:10 PM by zarg »
[Lord Wilmore's writings] are written the way a high schooler thinks an educated person should sound like.  The pathetic pseudo-academic writing can't hide the lack of any real substance.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #405 on: December 03, 2011, 04:49:50 PM »
The only problem with using these maps is that distances and areas are not preserved. A true FE map would be capable of doing this while remaining a 2D representation.

I have already stated many times that to my mind the lack of a complete and verifiably accurate map is the biggest hinderance to the modern flat earth movement. On this point, I am now, as always, in complete and utter agreement with you. I am not sure what you else you could possibly want from me on this score other than to rub our noses in something beyond the capability of the members of this forum. Mapping the surface of the earth is certainly beyond our ability as individuals or a whole.
Neither does your constantly associated assertion that my grandfather's globe is accurate prove the veracity of that claim.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #406 on: December 03, 2011, 04:53:27 PM »

This is the most ridiculous post in the sequence. I can't imagine why you posted it twice in an attempt to get it answered. Do you have any evidence at all of for your baseless assertion in the first sentence? Any citation of reputable source?
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #407 on: December 03, 2011, 05:03:38 PM »

I have already stated many times that to my mind the lack of a complete and verifiably accurate map is the biggest hinderance to the modern flat earth movement. On this point, I am now, as always, in complete and utter agreement with you. I am not sure what you else you could possibly want from me on this score other than to rub our noses in something beyond the capability of the members of this forum. Mapping the surface of the earth is certainly beyond our ability as individuals or a whole.
Neither does your constantly associated assertion that my grandfather's globe is accurate prove the veracity of that claim.

While the FES hasn't physically walked around with a ruler to accurately map the Earth, methods exist for creating a map that don't depend on first hand measurement. For example, if we take the known distances between cities in the northern and southern hemispheres and try to put them in a 3D space so that all the distances between each city are accurate, the shape you will get is a sphere.

I'm not trying to make the FES do something that is beyond their power to do, I'm trying to get them to do something that is possible, and entirely necessary if the Flat Earth movement is to continue. I apologize if I appear to press this issue too often, but it is one of the easiest proofs for the shape of the Earth.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 05:11:20 PM by jraffield1 »

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #408 on: December 03, 2011, 05:08:28 PM »
While the FES hasn't physically walked around with a ruler to accurately map the Earth, methods exist for creating a map that don't depend on first hand measurement. For example, if we take the known distances between cities in the northern and southern hemispheres and try to put them in a 3D space so that all the distances between each city is accurate, the shape you will get is a sphere.

This only really applies to distances between points on landmasses. I agree that landmasses are already generally correctly modeled. To my knowledge, noone is disagreeing with this.  It is the oceanic distances on which we are in disagreement.

« Reply #409 on: December 03, 2011, 05:18:27 PM »
While the FES hasn't physically walked around with a ruler to accurately map the Earth, methods exist for creating a map that don't depend on first hand measurement. For example, if we take the known distances between cities in the northern and southern hemispheres and try to put them in a 3D space so that all the distances between each city is accurate, the shape you will get is a sphere.

This only really applies to distances between points on landmasses. I agree that landmasses are already generally correctly modeled. To my knowledge, noone is disagreeing with this.  It is the oceanic distances on which we are in disagreement.

Even without the oceanic distances, it is only possible to map cities on the same continent on a sphere. If North and South America map accurately to a sphere, and Europe and Asia map to a sphere, along with Africa and Australia, how is it possible that each land mass exists with the curvature of a giant sphere, yet the Earth is flat?

El Cid

« Reply #410 on: December 03, 2011, 05:22:05 PM »

This is the most ridiculous post in the sequence. I can't imagine why you posted it twice in an attempt to get it answered. Do you have any evidence at all of for your baseless assertion in the first sentence? Any citation of reputable source?
I assure you, I didn't just make it up!  The only source I could find was in Dutch, after searching Wikipedia:

Klaus Anselm Vogel, "Sphaera terrae - das mittelalterliche Bild der Erde und die kosmographische Revolution," PhD dissertation Georg-August-Universität Göttingen, 1995, p. 19.

Or you can go here:

http://www.universe-galaxies-stars.com/Flat_Earth.html

At one point it says,

"A recent study of medieval concepts of the sphericity of the Earth noted that "since the eighth century, no cosmographer worthy of note has called into question the sphericity of the Earth." Of course it was probably not the few noted intellectuals who defined public opinion. It is difficult to tell what the wider population may have thought of the shape of the Earth - if they considered the question at all. It may have been as irrelevant to them as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle is to most of our contemporaries."

I don't think that website made it up either, and I don't think Wikipedia is pretending that the Dutch thing says that when it doesn't.  Can anyone read Dutch?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #411 on: December 03, 2011, 05:34:13 PM »
I don't see anything about difficulties in the Renaissance mapping the routes of Vega without invoking globularism.

I have no doubt that most people in the Renaissance period thought the earth a globe.

« Reply #412 on: December 04, 2011, 02:46:43 AM »
Whydon't you try yourself to draw a FE map with the distances that are aknowledged by everybody here?

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #413 on: December 04, 2011, 03:44:15 AM »
The burden of proof is always on the claimants and never on the skeptics.

Thank you, but I'm already perfectly aware of what burden of proof is. Otherwise I wouldn't have pointed it out. Ironically, as per the wording of your own wiki article that you posted, this discussion is certainly one of the most clear-cut examples wherein your claims are the ones where the burden of proof lies:

If two people are having a debate, should the burden of proof rest on the shoulders of the person who make the most complicated claim, or should the burden of proof rest on the shoulders of the person who makes the simplest and easily observable claim?

The subject that you are "skeptics" on is, essentially, observation itself. While you wouldn't say it in so many words, you do freely admit that "the most easily observable" perception is one of curvature, and you explain this by making claims about how light distorts our "naive" observations. Thus it's up to you to back up those claims.

Judging by what I've seen in this thread, your solution now will be to redefine "burden of proof" such that your position becomes correct; just as you questionably redefine observable physics to fit your preconceived model. Perhaps you should update your wiki article?

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=44564.msg1105763#msg1105763

I think this is quite a good summary of the burden of proof debate.

« Reply #414 on: December 04, 2011, 04:09:42 AM »
BOP set aside, wouldn't it be useful to have a FE map?

zarg

« Reply #415 on: December 04, 2011, 09:15:41 AM »
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=44564.msg1105763#msg1105763

That post is all handwavey bullshit. The burden of proof "debate"? There is no "debate" about what BOP is. It's not some philosophical mystery. The definition is simple and clear: The burden is always on the person making a new claim. Period.

That Earth is a sphere may have been a new claim hundreds of years ago, but it is far from it today. Those purporting that belief already had their turn bearing the burden, and their proof has long been demonstrated. Now it's your turn. You are now putting forth new laws of physics, making accusations of conspiracy, and so forth. These are new claims.

If you expect your side to ever have any credence whatsoever, you will need to accept the fact that at this point you do carry the burden of proof, and act accordingly. You could start with a map.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #416 on: December 04, 2011, 09:48:43 AM »

That post is all handwavey bullshit. The burden of proof "debate"? There is no "debate" about what BOP is. It's not some philosophical mystery. The definition is simple and clear: The burden is always on the person making a new claim. Period.

That Earth is a sphere may have been a new claim hundreds of years ago, but it is far from it today. Those purporting that belief already had their turn bearing the burden, and their proof has long been demonstrated. Now it's your turn. You are now putting forth new laws of physics, making accusations of conspiracy, and so forth. These are new claims.

If you expect your side to ever have any credence whatsoever, you will need to accept the fact that at this point you do carry the burden of proof, and act accordingly. You could start with a map.

But the whole point of that post is that people don't agree on a definition of who has the burden of proof. YOU say "The burden is always on the person making a new claim" but someone else says something different. Do a search on the entire forum and I don't think you'll find a single instance where there has been complete agreement on who has the burden of proof. I couldn't find one when I searched. Just from this thread:
Zarg: "The burden is always on the person making a new claim"
Markjo: "if the "skeptic" makes a negative claim, then that counts as a claim and the skeptic does incur a burden of proof for that negative claim."
Tom Bishop: "The burden of proof is always on the claimants and never on the skeptics."
Irushwithcvs: "However, when you make the more ridiculous assumption, in the science community, the burden of proof would be on me, not you "

See? several contradictory angles. However, what really clouds the issue is the nature of what is defined as a "claim":

RE'er : "The earth is obviously round. You claim it is flat, therefore burden of proof is on you."
FE'er : "The earth is obviously flat. You claim it is round, therefore the burden of proof is on you."
Result: no agreement on who should carry the burden of proof. Every viewpoint on any issue can be described as a "claim".

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #417 on: December 04, 2011, 09:51:13 AM »

Not really.  In a debate, both sides have a burden to prove their arguments.  However, the burden is not always the same for both sides.  Generally the side with the less accepted argument incurs the greater burden.

Rushy

« Reply #418 on: December 04, 2011, 09:59:37 AM »
You also have to remember Occam's Razor when thinking about burden of proof. If you have two assumptions, you go with the one that makes more sense and has more solid evidence behind it. For example in Universal Acceleration Vs. Gravity, gravity is the victor because it makes the least assumptions.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #419 on: December 04, 2011, 10:01:12 AM »
Markjo: "if the "skeptic" makes a negative claim, then that counts as a claim and the skeptic does incur a burden of proof for that negative claim."

Just as an FYI: The reason that I put "skeptic" in quotes is because most FE'ers (especially Tom) are not actual skeptics but  pseudoskeptics.