The merged ultimate challenge for FE'ers

• 580 Replies
The merged ultimate challenge for FE'ers
« on: October 29, 2011, 06:09:19 AM »
Using this:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0759496.html

Or any reliable source on distances between cities,

Find any FE map large enough to contains all continents, including Antarctica, consistant with the distances given above.

“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

Re: The ultimate challenge for FE'ers
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 10:25:38 AM »
Already a couple of hours and... no map.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 10:26:48 AM »
Already a couple of hours and... no map.
Good timing!

It has previously been explained to you that distances on the FE map are, in fact, consistent with reality.

Here's your map. Note the image source.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 10:31:05 AM »
I don't care about hte source.

Wrong with most of the distances.

Dismissed.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 10:41:32 AM »
Wrong with most of the distances.
Incorrect.

Dismissed.
Gee, talk about blindly rejecting evidence. So much talk, so little science.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 10:43:34 AM »
Use a basic ruler, you'll see that you are wrong.

?

Thork

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 10:45:38 AM »
This is the most anti-climacticly named thread for some time. The ultimate challenge is to regurgitate the information we handed out in other threads a few weeks ago?
We are dining on scraps. :(

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 10:46:29 AM »
Use a basic ruler, you'll see that you are wrong.
Why would I use a basic ruler? That would entirely ignore the scale of the map.
Can you use a basic ruler to measure the distance from Kaliningrad to Sydney on a Mercator projection and/or a globe?
Hint: no.

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 10:48:35 AM »
If it's a FE map, the scale is the same everywhere.

So your map is wrong.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 11:11:36 AM »
If it's a FE map, the scale is the same everywhere.
Incorrect, unless it happens to be 1:1

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 11:21:32 AM »
No.

Scale is a matter of proportions.
If City A is distant by 10 miles 10 City B and 20 miles to City C, whatever the scale is, the City C will remain twice more distant to City A than city B to City A.

If it works at scale 1:1, it will work at any scale.

So your map doesn't work.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 11:30:32 AM »
No.

Scale is a matter of proportions.
If City A is distant by 10 miles 10 City B and 20 miles to City C, whatever the scale is, the City C will remain twice more distant to City A than city B to City A.

If it works at scale 1:1, it will work at any scale.

So your map doesn't work.
FE maps do not scale linearly due to EAT.

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
What is EAT?

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 11:33:05 AM »
What is EAT?
And this, boys and girls, is why we read the FAQ and lurk before arguing.

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 11:40:04 AM »
Found EA, note EAT.

No need to act so superior when clearly you have such preposterous ideas bout scales.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 11:42:43 AM »
Found EA, note EAT.
Good, they're the same thing. T stands for "theory".

No need to act so superior when clearly you have such preposterous ideas bout scales.
I am certain you are just about to present your case on this subject. You've just forgotten to do so in this post.

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 11:46:17 AM »
I forgot to add: the map should also work in the absence of light. (Does darness bend too?)

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 12:16:16 PM »
I forgot to add: the map should also work in the absence of light. (Does darness bend too?)

Here's a representation of the Earth in absolute darkness:

?

Thork

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 12:30:44 PM »
oohh,oooh me, me! I made a dark earth with lights at night.

Voila!

Click for big. :D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 12:36:34 PM by Thork »

?

Thork

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 12:42:21 PM »
Ahh, my tribute troll is back. If you are going to rip me off, try and be funny or something. >:(

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 12:44:50 PM »

Here's a representation of the Earth in absolute darkness:

Still anything relevant?

El Cid

• ...And the truth shall set you free.
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2011, 01:26:01 PM »
The problem is, the distances themselves have to change as well, not just our perception of the distances.  Otherwise, large farms in the Australian outback, for example, could not produce nearly as many crops.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2011, 02:23:05 PM »
Still anything relevant?
I guess you didn't get it. If there was no light, you couldn't see the Earth. Asking how it would look if you couldn't see it is somewhat silly.

The problem is, the distances themselves have to change as well, not just our perception of the distances.
Incorrect.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 06:00:39 PM by PizzaPlanet »

El Cid

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 03:02:15 PM »
The problem is, the distances themselves have to change as well, not just our perception of the distances.
Incorrect.
What?  Why not?

If a plane is going at a hundred miles per hour (and in Australia it looks distorted by a factor of three) and you go three hundred miles in one hour, I think somebody's going to notice, even if they can't see the difference.

Also, crops in Australian outback!

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2011, 04:23:28 PM »
Still anything relevant?
I guess you didn't get it. If there was no light, you couldn't see the Earth. Therefore, asking how it would look if you couldn't see it is somewhat silly.

According to you a map during the daytime is different than during nighttime!?

I suggest you dispense your massive incompetence somewhere else; you're waisting everyone's time here.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 05:37:04 PM »
According to you a map during the daytime is different than during nighttime!?

I suggest you dispense your massive incompetence somewhere else; you're waisting everyone's time here.
First things first, I feel inclined to remind you that this is the Flat Earth Society. If anyone's wasting someone's time here, it's the useless RE'ers disrupting the Society's operation with their thinking that we're here to accommodate their stupidity. No one here has any incentive whatsoever to convince you. Debating is a pastime. If you dislike it, leave. It's simple.

Furthermore, it would seem that you read my post, and then claimed that "according to me", something I didn't say happens. As usual, you accuse me of things that apply only to you - in this case, massive incompetence.

What?  Why not?

If a plane is going at a hundred miles per hour (and in Australia it looks distorted by a factor of three) and you go three hundred miles in one hour, I think somebody's going to notice, even if they can't see the difference.
You've got it backwards. Seeing the difference is the only thing that happens, and only from sufficient distances. Mechanics != optics.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 05:52:40 PM by PizzaPlanet »

El Cid

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 07:38:01 PM »
What?  Why not?

You've got it backwards. Seeing the difference is the only thing that happens, and only from sufficient distances. Mechanics != optics.
I don't understand!  What I'm saying is, people have clocks, and one hour is noticeably different from three hours.  Sure, bendy light tells them, "Nope, three hundred miles, not one hundred (as it really is due to Earth's flatness)."  But their plane scheduler, and their pilot, etc., (believing there to be three hundred miles as well) will say, "We have three hundred miles to go.  We are currently going at one hundred miles per hour, so we expect to get there within three hours."

Twenty minutes later (a third of an hour), the pilot will realize that they've gone a full hundred miles!  But the whole time they've been watching, and they've never exceeded one hundred miles per hoour!  By this standard, they would have had to be going three hundred miles per hour!  But the pilot checks the reports, nope, one hundred the whole time!  As this trend continues (because, you know, the world's flat), he will notice it more and more.  He'll think, "Well, I guess there's something wrong with the equipment.  I must be going at three hundred miles per hour."  Surely he'll anounce to the passengers, "Well, we seem to be having some strange technical disruptions, and it seems that we're going at three hundred miles per hour, not one hundred.  We will be there much sooner than expected."  This goes against the pilot's intuition, though, because three hundred miles per hour is ridiculously fast.  The pilot will likely make a report to whoever's in charge about this.

You may say, "Well, they are in denial, to avoid changing their whole world view."  Well sure, but there are flights over Australia every day!  Surely the director or whatever will continually have the equipment looked at, but there will be no problems (because the real problem is bendy light).  Eventually they'll start to wonder.  Besides, "flat Earth" never occurs to them; that is patently ridiculous.  They have flights over Antarctica all the time.  They won't have a reason to deny this, because they don't think it will cause a scientific upheaval; they just think it's so weird and seemingly unexplainable, but never ceasing to show itself.

Also!  Crops in Australian outback!  You never explained that!

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 08:36:50 PM »
No, the flight times will be the same. I've already said that twice. Both the distances and velocities remain unaffected. It only looks different when you observe it from space.

El Cid

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2011, 08:53:03 PM »
No, the flight times will be the same. I've already said that twice. Both the distances and velocities remain unaffected. It only looks different when you observe it from space.
Unaffected relative to what?  Does that mean that the distances predicted by a globe (i.e., the ones we measure) are unaffected (by the switch to FET), and bendy light simply makes the hull-down phenomenon?  Although, that doesn't really make sense either, because then how can the Earth be flat still?  We can't project the same distances on a flat Earth.

OR, does it mean that the distances displayed on the map are unaffected?  Because, if so, then again, everything I just said!  Perception clashes with reality, and odd results are experienced!

I don't see how either of these positions can be held.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2011, 09:48:42 PM »
We can't project the same distances on a flat Earth.
That is correct, assuming we're speaking from the Euclidean geometries' point of view. We're not.